Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I’d rather they finish this shortened season/postseason in the fall (September-November 2020) and then take a break and play another shortened season in 2021 (January-June) and then back to normal in the fall of 2021.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
lol

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

deoju posted:

They should play that one Caps/Pens playoff game from 09 or so when both Ovechkin and Crosby got hat tricks. That owned.

Give me 2012(?) Battle of Pennsylvania. :unsmigghh:

Mind_Taker posted:

I’d rather they finish this shortened season/postseason in the fall (September-November 2020) and then take a break and play another shortened season in 2021 (January-June) and then back to normal in the fall of 2021.

I might be down for a ~48 game 2021 season like the 2013 post-lockout edition.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/1240121517507305476

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Melnyk getting creative in ways to dump salary.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/1240143326952726528

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003
Legit though, the only way this season finishes is if it's played in empty arenas. Most likely the same deal for all of next season. The majority of people are not grasping how terrifying things are about to become.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Terrifying seems like a stupid label.

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003
Okay, the majority of people don’t realize how fun things are going to become as millions of people die.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
The NHL is going to go 3-on-3 with 30 minute games just so they can meet social distancing protocols in the locker room.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Hand Knit posted:

The NHL is going to go 3-on-3 with 30 minute games just so they can meet social distancing protocols in the locker room.

gently caress yeah, NHL Hitz style. It's Pronger's time to shine again.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
With two lockouts and the COVID-19 crisis, someone really doesn't want Ovechkin to touch Gretzky's goal record.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Twin Cinema posted:

With two lockouts and the COVID-19 crisis, someone really doesn't want Ovechkin to touch Gretzky's goal record.

God is a Canadian.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mike Works posted:

Okay, the majority of people don’t realize how fun things are going to become as millions of people die.

My worry right now is they'll self isolate for a little while which will keep the infections/deaths more manageable, declare mission accomplished, and then allow people to resume normal activities way before a vaccine is ready and then poo poo will rapidly get worse until they have to re-implement the same measures.

I just don't know if the US will have the patience and discipline to keep this social distancing going as long as required to manage this. I hope my country isn't that loving stupid, but we all know who is in charge.

Like seeing reports of the players wanting to start a new training camp in July or whatever....that seems so optimistic to me. There is no way this will be enough under control by then, or that we'll have a vaccine ready. I don't know if a lot of people are fully grasping just how serious this is yet.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Ginette Reno posted:

My worry right now is they'll self isolate for a little while which will keep the infections/deaths more manageable, declare mission accomplished, and then allow people to resume normal activities way before a vaccine is ready and then poo poo will rapidly get worse until they have to re-implement the same measures.

I just don't know if the US will have the patience and discipline to keep this social distancing going as long as required to manage this. I hope my country isn't that loving stupid, but we all know who is in charge.

Like seeing reports of the players wanting to start a new training camp in July or whatever....that seems so optimistic to me. There is no way this will be enough under control by then, or that we'll have a vaccine ready. I don't know if a lot of people are fully grasping just how serious this is yet.

I mean the other problem with it all is if the entire US shuts down for a year to slow or stop the spread, the effect that will have on the economy and people's ability to buy food, shelter, etc is going to be absolutely hosed.

The other component to this is that the government is going to have to step up and keep people afloat no matter how long this goes or things are gonna get really hosed anyways

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Furnaceface posted:

Melnyk getting creative in ways to dump salary.

Stan Bowman is suddenly frustrated he's been outfoxed by Eugene Melnyk.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Levitate posted:

I mean the other problem with it all is if the entire US shuts down for a year to slow or stop the spread, the effect that will have on the economy and people's ability to buy food, shelter, etc is going to be absolutely hosed.

The other component to this is that the government is going to have to step up and keep people afloat no matter how long this goes or things are gonna get really hosed anyways

Yeah, there's too many jobs affected by this for this type of shutdown to go on too long without people really suffering, so that's definitely a factor too.

The government is gonna have to do something. I'm lucky enough to be able to do my job remote but the vast majority of the country isn't like that and will be turbofucked by this. And even with people like me our businesses are going to see enough hits from this economically that our jobs aren't guaranteed to last.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I mean on the other hand that UK report that has everyone upset came with a lot of assumptions that may have seriously impacted how severe their assessment was. While a cure/vaccine won't be available for a year or so, other treatments may prove useful and if there are common treatments that can greatly reduce the mortality rate of those infected then there may be a tipping point where it makes more sense to return a bit to "normal" in order to keep the economy going

but we're in early days and have to wait and see

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
Yeah that UK report did not help me sleep last night.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Misanthrope posted:

Yeah that UK report did not help me sleep last night.

yeah I'm not gonna say "well it's not perfect therefor I'm going to ignore it!" but I'm hoping that it ends up being worst case scenario and some stuff can be done that mitigates this a lot more than what they built into their model
e: emphasis on hoping. We're in the poo poo right now as it is

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/1240286409170313217

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

That's sad but sadly free online journalism is gonna kill niche publications like that. I was a subscriber for a couple years and got the draft primer each summer. I'll miss being able to flick back and read the glowing reviews of Nail Yakupov and Zach Bogosian.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Ginette Reno posted:

Yeah, there's too many jobs affected by this for this type of shutdown to go on too long without people really suffering, so that's definitely a factor too.

The government is gonna have to do something. I'm lucky enough to be able to do my job remote but the vast majority of the country isn't like that and will be turbofucked by this. And even with people like me our businesses are going to see enough hits from this economically that our jobs aren't guaranteed to last.

Agreed with you and Levitate, among others.

I read through most of that UK doc and the assumptions are reasonable given what's currently available data-wise.

Wonder if now is a good time to go job-hunting as a remote tutor/teacher/mathemagician =P

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

ThinkTank posted:

That's sad but sadly free online journalism is gonna kill niche publications like that. I was a subscriber for a couple years and got the draft primer each summer. I'll miss being able to flick back and read the glowing reviews of Nail Yakupov and Zach Bogosian.

I also used to subscribe to the Hockey News right after second lockout. I tried to subscribe again a few years ago, but no one answered my e-mail requesting a subscription. I think I just went with the Athletic shortly after.

I still buy all the special issues, though. There is better information out there about drafts and prospects, but I still like it in magazine form.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Twin Cinema posted:

I still buy all the special issues, though. There is better information out there about drafts and prospects, but I still like it in magazine form.

Yes, there's something indescribably satisfying about flipping through the magazine to find the guy your team took in the 3rd round you'd never heard of before only to see a one sentence description saying "while he lacked production, scouts were impressed by his effort and burning desire to win," closing it and being relatively sure you'll never have to bother thinking about that kid again. It's quite zen.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

ThinkTank posted:

Yes, there's something indescribably satisfying about flipping through the magazine to find the guy your team took in the 3rd round you'd never heard of before only to see a one sentence description saying "while he lacked production, scouts were impressed by his effort and burning desire to win," closing it and being relatively sure you'll never have to bother thinking about that kid again. It's quite zen.

I also liked them continually putting Erixon on prospect lists, well after the shine wore off, just because.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Everyone join our Coronavirus SAS all-time draft edition! 9 spots left! We're bored!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3917510

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Elliotte Friedman lookin' rough these days

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

grack posted:

Lol I've had the same experience turning on my video on company calls looking homeless as gently caress.

This full remote thing makes it harder to care about having a pristinely groomed beard :v:

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

fawning deference posted:

Everyone join our Coronavirus SAS all-time draft edition! 9 spots left! We're bored!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3917510

9 spots! 9! 9!

:siren: :siren: :siren:

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

grack posted:

Is he turning into Limmy?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/spittinchiclets/status/1240405932800192513

I want this shirt.

I do not want to give barstool money.

Dammit.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

https://twitter.com/spittinchiclets/status/1240405932800192513

I want this shirt.

I do not want to give barstool money.

Dammit.

it's the online tshirt world. there will be hastily made knockoffs on aliexpress and other sites in a nanosecond

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/Dustinpenner25/status/1240484543066288128?s=20

loving lmao dustin penner is a qanon idiot

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Gerblederp posted:

loving lmao dustin penner is a qanon idiot

His twitter account is proof that, while I moan about hockey players being personality devoid robots, I don't actually want to hear anything they have to say.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

so proud that my family played a part in his education (my spinster aunt was his kindiegarten teacher). I love mennonite mental illness

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Alright, I'm officially sad about losing hockey now.
Just living up to my sub-par Canadian intelligence.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/OVECHKlN/status/1240461644284792833

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

mennoknight posted:

so proud that my family played a part in his education (my spinster aunt was his kindiegarten teacher). I love mennonite mental illness

Probably runs fast though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Apparently Zaitsev was the Sen with coronavirus lol