Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
The season is over and the Leafs wouldn't have won anyway. We can't go outside, we can't skate backwards, we can't even riot in Milwaukee. Thus we have no option but to draft, to draft harder than we have ever drafted before.

We're going to draft teams comprised entirely of criminals, murderers, and Latvians.

Teams full of fat players.

Teams full of fat coaches.

Teams full of dead guys.

Teams with Tim Thomas on them. And Jeremy Roenick. And Martin Brodeur.

And every rear end in a top hat you can imagine.

We're going to draft.

HERE ARE MY PROPOSED RULES:

quote:

RULES
1. Players you select must have played one game in the NHL post 1967 (expansion era) OR played in a major international competition post 1967 (Canada Cup, Olympics, World Cup). Taking Dit Clapper would be cool, but this gives us a more a reasonable length of time to cover, while still allowing for two of the top five player of all-time (Gordie and Bobby), and obvious all-timers like Tretiak.

1a. Pre-1967 EXCEPTION. You are allowed to take one player from a pre-1967 season! Provided of course they have not been picked before.

2. When selecting a player, please include the era you are selecting them from. If you want New York Rangers Jagr, then by god you take New York Rangers Jagr. Of course, players are only eligible to be selected once. NOTE: This era must be from post-1967 unless you are using your exception!

2a. Neal Smith rules (no salary cap).

3. The draft timer only runs from 10:00 AM EST to 10:00 PM EST. It is snake format (so at pick #32, that team also picks #33 and so on). Each drafting team has a 2 hour window during this period and that 2 hours rolls over - if your pick comes on the clock at 9 PM, you have until 11 AM the next day to make your choice. If someone fails to draft within that time, their pick is skipped. They will be auto-skipped until they return to make whatever picks are still due of them. You can pick outside of this window as long as it is your pick, but the timer will not be running on anyone. If you know you are unable to be around to make your pick, there are always several people around that you can send a short list of players to and they will pick for you.

4. We will be selecting 23 players and 1 head coach. You need to take at least 12 forwards, 6 defenseman, and 2 goalies. Head coaches can be any coach from 1967 on.

5. We will have a 32 team limit in the draft, and you may select as your franchise any NHL team (even pre-1967). Wanna be the Cleveland Barons? loving go for it. Of course, we can only have one of each team.

6. Make it fun! When drafting Mark Messier, please post Mark Messier's balls.

7. Join the discord if you can! It makes picking a lot faster and smoother and funnier: https://discord.gg/tmmzsS

Resources:

quote:

Here are some resources that I'll also add to the OP:

HHOF Members: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_members_of_the_Hockey_Hall_of_Fame

NHL All-time leaders and records: https://www.hockey-reference.com/leaders/

Legends of Hockey profiles: http://www.legendsofhockey.net/LegendsOfHockey/jsp/SearchPlayersNameMenu.jsp

NHL.com's 100 Greatest Players Ever (not featuring Evgeni Malkin): https://www.nhl.com/fans/nhl-centennial/100-greatest-nhl-players

Hockey News's 100 Greatest Players ever circa 1998: https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_100_greatest_NHL_players_by_The_Hockey_News

The 20 Greatest Hockey Players to never play in the NHL (maybe): https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1093848-the-20-greatest-hockey-players-to-never-play-in-the-nhl#slide0

More Great Soviets to not play in the NHL: https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/russians-who-never-played-in-the-nhl

Greatest NHL Head Coach in every team's history: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1378097-the-greatest-coach-in-every-nhl-teams-history#slide10

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Mar 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Draft Order
1. Minnesota Noth Stars (Infidel Castro)
2. Seattle Metropolitans (corn on the cop)
3. Edmonton Oilers (mennoknight)
4. Los Angeles Kings (Drunk Canuck)
5. Colorado Avalanche (Bard Maddox)
6. Detroit Cougars (Teemu Pokemon)
7. St. Louis Blues (Duckman2008)
8. Philadelphia Flyers (mentholmoose)
9. Vancouver Millionaires (VOTE1)
10. Buffalo Sabres (Jonathan Fisk)
11. New Jersey Devils (T-Bone)
12. Atlanta Thrashers (ThinkTank)
13. Pittsburgh Penguins (Ginette Reno)
14. Boston Bruins (Jamwad Hilder)
15. Florida Panthers (yaya)
16. Kansas City Scouts (fawning deference )
17. Colorado Rockies (TheMissingJagr)
18. Cleveland Barons (DO YALL WANT A BOXC)
19. Tampa Bay Lightning (kilza)
20. Toronto Maple Leafs (Technetium)
21. Calgary Flames (El Gallinero Gros)
22. Quebec Bulldogs (kalensc)
23. Montreal Canadiens (stab)
24. Ottawa Hockey Club (Jordan7hm)
25. Anaheim Mighty Ducks (Twin Cinema)
26. California Golden Seals (JawKnee)
27. New York Rangers (WeaponX)
29. Hartford Whalers (Ergo Propter Hog)
29. Quebec Nordiques (Zodijackylite)
30. Columbus Blue Jackets (CBJSprague24)
31. Montreal Maroons (Nissin Cup Nudist)
32. Chicago Blackhawks (Hoot the Owl)

Spreadsheet
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11G-v_gQnOnBj-SUz3DENzLxFi3I0LIzMRqs8F-XVUrg/edit?usp=sharing

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Mar 23, 2020

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Normally I would take the Canucks but for the purpose of my already decided draft gimmick I will select the Florida Panthers

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Anyway let me know if the rules seem hosed up and pick your team!

I'll take the Devils, but if someone else really wants them, I can be the Whalers too!

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Yes!

Gonna take the Flyers obviously.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Im in for the habs but pre 1967 should be included come on man the Rocket

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I'll take the Penguins

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

stab posted:

Im in for the habs but pre 1967 should be included come on man the Rocket

I was thinking about this. How about a rule of one pre-1967 player per team?

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

T-Bone posted:

I was thinking about this. How about a rule of one pre-1967 player per team?

Oof still tight but lets leave it to the consensus.

I mean the habs have what, 15 hall of famers before 1967? (They probably have way more lol)

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I think we should definitely do at least one pre-1967, that lets people take all the famous old dudes. We could push it two if you guys really want!

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
One pre-1967 player works for me. Too many and you're comparing dudes nobody has heard of. You limit it to one, the only names taken are ones that most people know of.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
In. Calgary please

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Sabres

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Thank goodness for this time wasting game. Love these drafts.

I'll take Carolina.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Not sure about the drafting player seasons though. That means Gretzky will be drafted 15 times etc. Why don't we just assume we are taking our players in their primes?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Well it says a player can only be taken once. You just need to specify which season you're taking them from.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I'm not a huge fan of the choosing by season point if only because I don't have extensive enough knowledge to distinguish for older players other than checking h-r or taking other posters at their word

I guess this is an opportunity to learn so I won't kick and scream but I'm soft against

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
For sure, I'm fine with taking that out if that's what people want, although it does make it a bit easy to game some players around the 67 cutoff (taking some guy whose career ended post 1967 but had a really good season pre 1967 for instance, like would that count as your exemption?).

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
The Detroit Red Wings COUGARS

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
lookit this fuckin jerkoff

Only registered members can see post attachments!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I assume that means their careers started before '67?

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

I'll be the Whalers

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Je suis les Nordiques de Québec!

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I assume that means their careers started before '67?

We could do it like that, although this would push guys like Howe into the pre-67 period.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Hmm, me fave team is gone, as are my home province squads.

Since it's an all-time team, there's no restrictions on the club city/name yeah? Seattle Kracken, Atlanta Thrashers, etc are all still valid options?

Anyhow, I'll def participate and join the Discord. I'll confirm me club once I get a response to the above from T-Bone, merci!

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Yeah! Any team name from NHL history.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

T-Bone posted:

Yeah! Any team name from NHL history.

Oh drat I missed this too. Instead of the Hurricanes then I'll be the Kansas City Scouts

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

T-Bone posted:

Well it says a player can only be taken once. You just need to specify which season you're taking them from.

What about taking them from a five year period? Basically choosing their five year prime. Because honestly choosing between Gretzky and his 212 pts or his 215 pts seems like a needless particularity

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

fawning deference posted:

Oh drat I missed this too. Instead of the Hurricanes then I'll be the Kansas City Scouts

Dangit!

Ok so 5th choice...

Les Bulldogs de Québec!

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
I'll take the canucks

actually wait can I be the Golden Seals?

JawKnee fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 18, 2020

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
give me america's first professional hockey champion, the Seattle Metropolitans out of the PCHA

look at these fruit stripe rear end jerseys

corn on the cop fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Mar 18, 2020

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
candy-cane mans

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Hell ya I love wasting time, and I haven't thought about this very hard but I will draft a bad team as the Boston Bruins

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Put me in for the New York Rangers

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Gimmie the Minnesota North Stars

Infidel Castro fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 18, 2020

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Officially taking the Ottawa Hockey Club.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
I’ve got sweet fa to do. Give me the EDMONTON OILERS

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

I'll be the Tampa Bay Lightning

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

JawKnee posted:

I'll take the canucks

actually wait can I be the Golden Seals?

I almost selected em cause of those snazzy unis, but decided to honor the legendary Joe Malone and his 2 gpg year from over a century ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

One of us has to draft an all goon team.

Probert-Ray-Twist first line, who cares if they're all wingers