Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

DontMockMySmock posted:

Put a regression line on it

I couldn't find good data for the other factors (hospitalisation rate, etc.), but if someone else happens to have a source for it, I'll incorporate it in (perhaps as a colour gradient :getin:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Dr Sun Try posted:

negative fatality rates?????

That's when a woman gives birth while infected

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

morallyobjected posted:

listen, I can only add so many dimensions, so if you figure out how to graph something in 4+ dimensions let me know:

the bubble size represents incubation period (bigger bubble = longer incubation period)

the bubbles' surface texture (shiny/rough) should relate to something

maybe GDP cost?

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
My take is that a) it's only due to insane luck and hard work that Ebola didn't become more widespread since it appears to have a similar R0 to COVID; b) holy gently caress smallpox was terrifying

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

morallyobjected posted:

I couldn't find good data for the other factors (hospitalisation rate, etc.), but if someone else happens to have a source for it, I'll incorporate it in (perhaps as a colour gradient :getin:)

Chicken pox is highly leveraged and is driving the fit of your model. Use robust regression.

Albino Squirrel posted:

My take is that a) it's only due to insane luck and hard work that Ebola didn't become more widespread since it appears to have a similar R0 to COVID; b) holy gently caress smallpox was terrifying

People with ebola aren't particulary contagious before they display symptoms. That makes it a lot easier to manage than some other diseases.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

morallyobjected posted:

I feel like there could be a way to add another dimension by changing the data point to have more sides, e.g. from triangle -> square -> pentagon -> hexagon etc., to represent a spectrum.

Edit: Excel might not support it, and no one should ever do it, but in theory it should be possible.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

time for a blender charting plugin

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Percentage of Opacity = Percentage of Cases Requiring Hospitalization.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Orientation of label in legend.

I keep trying to type font and it autocorrects to don't every time.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Z axis, year of first appearance.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

Chicken pox is highly leveraged and is driving the fit of your model. Use robust regression.

here I made it a polynomial

I mean, here's the data table if anyone wants to go nuts with it:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/151k8recFTuAc_c6-C-I6DZkeKnTB6q8fFFKdqVcUpRs/edit?usp=sharing

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

It took me a bit to realize why they were so excited about jobs going down.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Alkydere posted:

It took me a bit to realize why they were so excited about jobs going down.

Yeah the decision to present the dates descending from left to right is a weird one.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

morallyobjected posted:

:sickos:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Put both axes on log scales imo

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

vyelkin posted:

Put both axes on log scales imo

not imaginative enough. I did that AND I normalised the incubation periods and took the absolute value (it won't graph bubbles with negative values) so that the bubbles now represent how many standard deviations they are from the average incubation period of all of them, but you have no idea whether that's higher or lower.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

morallyobjected posted:

I mean, here's the data table if anyone wants to go nuts with it:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/151k8recFTuAc_c6-C-I6DZkeKnTB6q8fFFKdqVcUpRs/edit?usp=sharing

:golfclap:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

but i need the trend line for my report

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

taqueso posted:

but i need the trend line for my report

*sigh* my work is never done

also if anyone wants an even worse one, I made a version with error bars that, as far as I can tell, are probably meaningless:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
COVID is stored in the balls

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

thanks for the attempt but I needed a more accurate trendline

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Incubation is a color scale, obviously. But there's some important information that everyone else missed: size is based on when the disease emerged (as determined by a very brief wikipedia search.) Since I can't graph negative sizes to show BCE/CE, I decided the best way to do it is to normalize the size based on the beginning of recorded history, ~5000 years ago. I was too lazy to get it to write BCE, so enjoy the negative CE years values in the labels.

This very important information makes a startling fact obvious: we can see that the center part of the graph is occupied only by smallpox, which is a very old disease. Based on the fact that there are no large (i.e., new) dots in the center of the graph, it must be impossible for any new diseases to emerge that have both infection rate greater than 3 and fatality rate greater than 10%. The graph shows it, so it must be true. This is how science works!

EDIT:

More exciting science news! Not only did I fix the dates (it was rounding to the nearest 200 years because of an integer cast on the scaling), but when you add in a line chart in order of date, it shows a very clear straight-line path from MERS to COVID on the log-log chart. Much straighter than any historical period beforehand, at least when using this particular smoothing function. It's also very interesting that the rough log-Euclidean distance is about the same for every jump between diseases. That lets us predict what the next disease will be!

Based on this, I have a message for the CDC: in roughly 2022, my model expects a disease with an infection rate of roughly 20 and a fatality rate of >1%. Start preparing now!

Karia has a new favorite as of 01:50 on Mar 20, 2020

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Karia posted:

Incubation is a color scale, obviously. But there's some important information that everyone else missed: size is based on when the disease emerged (as determined by a very brief wikipedia search.) Since I can't graph negative sizes to show BCE/CE, I decided the best way to do it is to normalize the size based on the beginning of recorded history, ~5000 years ago. I was too lazy to get it to write BCE, so enjoy the negative CE years values in the labels.

This very important information makes a startling fact obvious: we can see that the center part of the graph is occupied only by smallpox, which is a very old disease. Based on the fact that there are no large (i.e., new) dots in the center of the graph, it must be impossible for any new diseases to emerge that have both infection rate greater than 3 and fatality rate greater than 10%. The graph shows it, so it must be true. This is how science works!

EDIT:

More exciting science news! Not only did I fix the dates (it was rounding to the nearest 200 years because of an integer cast on the scaling), but when you add in a line chart in order of date, it shows a very clear straight-line path from MERS to COVID on the log-log chart. Much straighter than any historical period beforehand, at least when using this particular smoothing function. It's also very interesting that the rough log-Euclidean distance is about the same for every jump between diseases. That lets us predict what the next disease will be!

Based on this, I have a message for the CDC: in roughly 2022, my model expects a disease with an infection rate of roughly 20 and a fatality rate of >1%. Start preparing now!

taqueso posted:

thanks for the attempt but I needed a more accurate trendline

these are both excellent additions

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Karia posted:

holy poo poo groundfloor

:allears: watching a nobel prize in the making :allears:

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

taqueso posted:

holy poo poo groundfloor

:allears: watching a nobel prize in the making :allears:

I want a co-author credit on the journal article

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

After further refinement, my model conclusively shows that the next anticipated disease will have a median infection rate of 25.78698 / case (95% confidence interval of 1.153992 to 567.2329) and a fatality rate of 0.196595% (95% confidence interval of 0.005191% to 7.445103%.) I expect an incubation period of -1.7 days (that means you start showing symptoms before you're exposed. Probably something psychosomatic. You know, like that episode of House MD where they're on the airplane.) It can be anticipated somewhere before 3233CE.

(The red stars show the 2 sigma confidence, since I have no idea how to draw an angled error bar in OxyPlot.)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

wow eat poo poo nate bronze

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Can we have a specially-jpeg'd version of this information for posting to Facebook?

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Tree Bucket posted:

Can we have a specially-jpeg'd version of this information for posting to Facebook?

in general I'm all for enjoying bad graphs, but I feel like unless your Facebook friend list is very different than mine, the joke is going to be lost on people and it'll just end up being a bunch of misinformed people receiving what they think is legitimate information (because graphs are never wrong, and graphs with science-y words are DEFINITELY never wrong) and passing it on.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Can I get this in contour form?

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Beartaco posted:

Can I get this in contour form?

Contour maps? Sure! Let's add the disease "badness" on there, calculated as (fatality rate * infection rate). I've also decided that the Fatality Rate scale should really be log base 2, rather than base 10, because obviously. The weird waviness comes from only evaluating the function at very course intervals on the log scale. I also manually set the interval spacing, because I'm pretty sure any reader would want all integer badnesses from 1-10.

Or did you mean as a vector file like an SVG? I can do that too, but I'm not sure I'm comfortable bumping this chart that far up the trustworthiness scale.

morallyobjected posted:

in general I'm all for enjoying bad graphs, but I feel like unless your Facebook friend list is very different than mine, the joke is going to be lost on people and it'll just end up being a bunch of misinformed people receiving what they think is legitimate information (because graphs are never wrong, and graphs with science-y words are DEFINITELY never wrong) and passing it on.

Agreed. The initial versions, at least, are dumb, but a layman could absolutely think it was legitimate without thinking about it. Don't share unless you really know that people will get the satire.

Karia has a new favorite as of 05:12 on Mar 20, 2020

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I thought it was some kind of an astrological chart at first.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Karia posted:

After further refinement, my model conclusively shows that the next anticipated disease will have a median infection rate of 25.78698 / case (95% confidence interval of 1.153992 to 567.2329) and a fatality rate of 0.196595% (95% confidence interval of 0.005191% to 7.445103%.) I expect an incubation period of -1.7 days (that means you start showing symptoms before you're exposed. Probably something psychosomatic. You know, like that episode of House MD where they're on the airplane.) It can be anticipated somewhere before 3233CE.

(The red stars show the 2 sigma confidence, since I have no idea how to draw an angled error bar in OxyPlot.)

Professor Karia, could this law also be used to determine when the first disease in human history occurred?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
the awful charts are coming from inside the thread

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Paladinus posted:

I thought it was some kind of an astrological chart at first.
You mean it isn't?!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Awful/funny graphs and charts: Ebola in retrograde

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Red Bones posted:

Professor Karia, could this law also be used to determine when the first disease in human history occurred?

Sure! Disease 0 likely emerged around 3000-3500 BCE, and had a median infection rate of 7.14 (95% confidence interval 6.1 to 8.4) and fatality rate of 750% (95% confidence interval 6.3 to 89000%.) That's far worse than Ebola, with a badness of 5300. For an epidemic that bad, there's only one possibility:

We need to rediscover this disease, use it to bring George Romero back from the dead, and then get him to direct a movie about this outbreak.

I am seriously regretting my vow to do all of this in Oxyplot rather than just scribbling on the chart in Powerpoint or something, it takes forever.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Karia posted:

Sure! Disease 0 likely emerged around 3000-3500 BCE, and had a median infection rate of 7.14 (95% confidence interval 6.1 to 8.4) and fatality rate of 750% (95% confidence interval 6.3 to 89000%.) That's far worse than Ebola, with a badness of 5300. For an epidemic that bad, there's only one possibility:

We need to rediscover this disease, use it to bring George Romero back from the dead, and then get him to direct a movie about this outbreak.

I am seriously regretting my vow to do all of this in Oxyplot rather than just scribbling on the chart in Powerpoint or something, it takes forever.

Thank you! My god, a fatality rate of 750% really puts our current problems into perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003