Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Erebus posted:

How many episodes before Big Show dumps his kids out of the house and replaces them with Kane

Kane moves in as the nanny. And since school has been cancelled for the rest of the year, he takes the opportunity to spend the next three months teaching the kids about his plan to get revenge on the Undertaker.

This continues for another 20 years until the kids earn their PhDs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

More specifically the "best thing they can do" would be NOT DO THE loving SHOWS!

Do you feel the same about AEW? I don’t want WWE to go out of business, I don’t want any company to.

Taping is the only reasonable thing that isn’t shutting down for a few months, which all companies should be doing.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

nice gotcha, but that guy hasnt shut up about aew running shows too. running shows is a really stupid idea right now. that being said, i would love for wwe to go out of business lol. hahahahaa...laughing about it now...oooh how funny it would be.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

yea ok posted:

nice gotcha, but that guy hasnt shut up about aew running shows too. running shows is a really stupid idea right now. that being said, i would love for wwe to go out of business lol. hahahahaa...laughing about it now...oooh how funny it would be.

It’s not a gotcha I’m asking genuinely. AEW is running better shows right now but they’re also talking the CDC guidelines less seriously so it’s a weird moral area to me. Selfishly I want them to keep running shows, and I will continue watching both.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Everyone: We're cancelling sporting events
WWE: We're still holding Wrestlemania
WWE: It's also two days long now
WWE: Also being held at seven different locations

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
To be fair to the WWE and AEW, not all sports have been cancelled. Here in Australia both the NRL and AFL are continuing, although they are playing in empty stadiums.

To be truly fair though, the NRL and AFL are run by complete morons and the NRL chairman Peter V'landys said that the players were all fit strong young lads, so why would it matter if they got sick? They wouldn't die!

So that's the sort of intelligence that keeps going in this situation.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Minidust posted:

was it really that widely known that NXT was gonna be a clip show? I only knew about it because I'm a dork posting in a wrestling thread

I tuned in, wanting to see what NXT was doing and all I saw a Balor vignette. It was only when I tuned in later to see Tom Philips and HHH together that I realized it was a clip show. I don't follow WWE that closely to have known.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
For what it's worth, AEW was very careful in their wording and never said "Next week" when referring to matches, they said "Next Dynamite" because they're very aware that they might not be able to run for weeks/months.

The date for Blood & Guts has also been removed from their advertising.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Eat My Fuc posted:

It’s not a gotcha I’m asking genuinely. AEW is running better shows right now but they’re also talking the CDC guidelines less seriously so it’s a weird moral area to me. Selfishly I want them to keep running shows, and I will continue watching both.

AEW has been running better shows since they started.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

hadji murad posted:

AEW has been running better shows since they started.

Making worse shows than WWE isn't something you can do on accident. Vince has perfected making moribund television over decades

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Eat My Fuc posted:

Do you feel the same about AEW?
Yes, and I've been very vocal about it as well. Or as some would say "won't shut up about it."

STAC Goat posted:

That's not the same thing as canceling the event. Its better than live audiences, don't get me wrong. But every single sports league flirted with this idea before they remembered that they're still putting their players, officials, crew, and anyone they come in contact with while traveling or whatever at risk and just suspended/cancelled their events and games. The late night talk shows went through the same process. WWE and AEW aren't cancelling their events. They're just doing the half measure that the sports leagues and talk shows all rejected.

I think that's irresponsible and selfish on both's parts.

I love AEW. I hate WWE. I judge them equally on this subject. I don't think AEW having more people assembled at ringside or matches is more irresponsible than WWE because they too have had people sharing a small space, wrestlers having matches, and amazingly an actual scene where people spill and spit beer all over and wrestlers fall around in it. But again, more importantly is the travel and all the exposure that comes from airplanes, airports, and commutes that were unnecessary except that WWE and AEW wanted to do shows. So while I disagree and criticize both for doing the shows, AEW at least addressed the issue and is kind of upfront about everything. WWE is playing the kind of games they always do where they do the bad thing and try and make themselves out to be heroes doing a good thing. And then someone says they're "doing the right thing" and eats it up.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Little does Daniel Bryan realize that the 6 weeks of paternity leave means they can add 7 years on to his existing contract.

They asked a federal judge if this was okay, and the reply was,"Stop bothering me with this poo poo, I think I've made it painfully clear what my stance is."

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Watching the Bret Hart interview with stone cold and I do appreciate the fact Bret just doesn’t give a poo poo about sugarcoating anything

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
tbf on the AEW quarantine thing, they diiiid keep the heels and faces on opposite sides so theres some distancing. I'm waiting for WWE to do the same thing and half the women don't know which side to sit on.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Blaise330 posted:

tbf on the AEW quarantine thing, they diiiid keep the heels and faces on opposite sides so theres some distancing. I'm waiting for WWE to do the same thing and half the women don't know which side to sit on.

Vince booking be like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tYXfssLOSM

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I just really like WWE and think they have some incredible talents that put on great matches. They have a ton of content, it's over kill, but personally I see at least two great matches a week from them. I see a lot of great matches from NJPW, AEW, etc. I just see great WWE matches too. and WWE has an in house style that isn't exceptional much but when it is it's among the most exceptional wrestling there is (Kofi v. Bryan as a recent example), Frankly I can't understand the perspective of someone who wants that to just disappear and be gone from our world, it's depressing.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
I don't want WWE out of business, I just want them to sweat a little more. People are at their best when they feel challenged. I want them to get to the point where "if I saw Wrestler X and Wrestler Y meet in any other company, the match/story would be better" wasn't the default thought. Their amazing roster and how badly they're used is like if someone couldn't beat Kite Man with the entire Justice League helping them. Succeeding at winning people over with this roster should be a freebie.

Blaise330 fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Mar 20, 2020

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Blaise330 posted:

I don't want WWE out of business, I just want them to sweat a little more. People are at their best when they feel challenged. I want them to get to the point where "if I saw Wrestler X and Wrestler Y meet in any other company, the match/story would be better" wasn't the default thought. Their amazing roster and how badly they're used is like if someone couldn't beat Kite Man with the entire Justice League helping them. Succeeding at winning people over with this roster should be a freebie.

A comparison I saw was the idea of a chef who had the best ingredients in the world and the best equipped kitchen but only knows how to make dog food. It's made with filet mignon, but it's still dog food, which actually makes it worse than if it was made with scraps and leftovers.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Blaise330 posted:

I agree with that, I want them to compete with AEW's storytelling and they aren't right now. I think they were waiting until post mania to try, and things are side lined right now.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I would like WWE to go bankrupt and be taken over in such a way that no McMahon or Levesque has any say in the company any more

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

jesus WEP posted:

I would like WWE to go bankrupt and be taken over in such a way that no McMahon or Levesque has any say in the company any more
Welcome to the Disney era

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
wwe treats their staff like garbage, hoovers up every single talent they possibly can and then does nothing or outright worse than nothing with that talent

if you want to see this industry flourish you have a responsibility to lust for wwe death, and nothing else

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Eat My Fuc posted:

I just really like WWE and think they have some incredible talents that put on great matches. They have a ton of content, it's over kill, but personally I see at least two great matches a week from them. I see a lot of great matches from NJPW, AEW, etc. I just see great WWE matches too. and WWE has an in house style that isn't exceptional much but when it is it's among the most exceptional wrestling there is (Kofi v. Bryan as a recent example), Frankly I can't understand the perspective of someone who wants that to just disappear and be gone from our world, it's depressing.

Everything good in WWE over the last decade is in spite of itself. Vince McMahon does not book to entertain anybody but himself. He is a spiteful, awful person who will purposefully ruin the career and life in general of wrestlers under his employ independent contract because of completely inane, arbitrary reasons like them getting over when they weren't supposed to, or not getting over after losing repeatedly on TV for a month straight, or not being able to do a southern accent, or sneezing in front of him, or being under 6'3", or requesting time off to be there for the birth of his child. He cultivates a miserable work environment for the dozens of writers he rotates in and out by tearing up scripts hours before a show and forcing them to adjust on the fly to appease his insane, senile whims. He purposefully strips any personality, life, or character away from his show whenever possible, forcing commentators to barf out his insidious marketing-friendly drivel, replacing words and phrases people use all the time with poo poo that no human actually says outside of a remedial scriptwriting class. Wrestlers are also made to spout this same tripe, while also memorizing matches and segments move for move with no room for improvisation outside of extreme circumstances like injuries. Some of them are given leeway on these things but these are the absolute exception. The format of the shows has not changed one bit since the Attitude Era ended and has only gotten progressively staler and staler, with the lifeless interchangeable interviewers asking the most basic yet also idiotic questions possible, or a wrestler stands backstage watching a match with a TV at a 100 degree angle from them. They project this image of a progressive company while also patting themselves on the back for everything they do, most of which are things that other promotions did years prior like having female refs (including THEMSELVES, because their ACTUAL first female ref, Rita Chatterton, accused Vince of sexual assault, so she has to be erased from history).

Do you seriously not get why a subforum full of mostly left-leaning wrestling fans might have some grievances with this company? A large portion of us have stopped watching entirely because we can't stomach all the utter horseshit spewed onto TV every week just so we can see an okay 9 minute Andrade match or maybe make a rare Mustafa Ali sighting, and just keep posting here because it's fun to talk about how lovely this company is. If we're speaking with 100% sincerity then no, I don't actually want WWE to suddenly go out of business overnight, because that leaves their literal hundreds of wrestlers out of work in an industry where most of the competition can't suddenly spend millions to sign all of these new free agents (something WWE is partially to blame for as well due to their gutting of the British Indie scene). What I WOULD be genuinely excited to see is a 5-10 year bleed out where they're forced to slowly let more and more talent go as AEW, New Japan, and other promotions grow bigger, and new promotions start to pop back up to accommodate the newly freed talent. Maybe the Saudi deal goes extra sour and it ends up costing them fuckloads of money in the end. Maybe when the tv deals roll around for renewals USA and FOX finally realize they've been signing checks to a loving tumor of a company. Maybe Marty really is the key to it all and he finally opens the forbidden portal and the AEW/ROH/NWA/NJPW unified front finally topples Vince's stranglehold on the industry he hates even using the proper word for. But at this point I'm just fantasizing. This is two gigantic effortposts on why WWE is bad in one week so I'm going to wrap this up now.

Also don't forget that Vince probably helped cover up a murder.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Even leaving all the clearly immoral poo poo aside, WWE is a poo poo employer that fucks over about 95% of their talent. If you claim to be a fan of the people working there you should wish for the company to knuckle under so that those wrestlers could work somewhere that treats them with even a modicum of respect.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I see all your points of view and I get it. It’s just personally when it comes down to it I am a fan of pro wrestling. If i’m going to name my personal top 5 in the world right now, three of them are WWE performers, one is AEW, and one is NJPW, because of that there’s nothing either company could do that would get me to stop watching unless
they fired all their wrestlers I like.

If I based what I like off my personal morals i’d have little to nothing to be entertained by. You can’t even listen to a majority of western music, or take in film or art without taking in the work of mostly bad, talented people. I’ll be dead sooner than later, I can’t get hung up on it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Everybody wants WWE to be better. It's probably not gonna happen (if at all) till Vince is either dead, retired, or forced out by the ghost of Ted Turner, but if tomorrow WWE suddenly just became a really loving good wrestling show again people would be thrilled. I mean, there'd still be plenty to be justifiably mad about, but at least it wouldn't be because of the on-screen product anymore.

Nobody is being unfair to WWE, this is completely their own fault.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

A while ago I was listening to a podcast that was talking about WWE's issues. Someone mentioned how great some of their talent was, and one of the hosts said "Big deal. Everyone's a great wrestler these days."

And it's an overstatement, but I see what he meant. Back in 80s and 90s WWF, the good technical wrestlers were fewer and further between. The last twenty years have seen a significant increase in average quality of in-ring performance, and this has filtered into WWE. But as great as some of their talent are, they're not being used in great ways. Sure, they can put on good matches, and for a while NXT were putting on some of the best wrestling matches in the world, but they weren't doing anything with them. And NXT's great matches weren't THAT much better than what could be seen on a decent-budget indie. Because everyone's a great wrestler these days.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Eat My Fuc posted:

I see all your points of view and I get it. It’s just personally when it comes down to it I am a fan of pro wrestling. If i’m going to name my personal top 5 in the world right now, three of them are WWE performers, one is AEW, and one is NJPW, because of that there’s nothing either company could do that would get me to stop watching unless

If I based what I like off my personal morals i’d have little to nothing to be entertained by. You can’t even listen to a majority of western music, or take in film or art without taking in the work of mostly bad, talented people. I’ll be dead sooner than later, I can’t get hung up on it.

If you're a fan of pro wrestling you shouldn't be zealously defending the promotion that's done its utmost to completely gently caress over the business in their quest to maintain their near-monopoly status.

Also there's a slight moral difference between appreciating art made by someone who turns out to be an rear end in a top hat and carrying water for a company that literally puts on propaganda shows for a genocidal absolute monarchy, hth.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Everybody wants WWE to be better. It's probably not gonna happen (if at all) till Vince is either dead, retired, or forced out by the ghost of Ted Turner, but if tomorrow WWE suddenly just became a really loving good wrestling show again people would be thrilled. I mean, there'd still be plenty to be justifiably mad about, but at least it wouldn't be because of the on-screen product anymore.

Nobody is being unfair to WWE, this is completely their own fault.
Ironically RAW was kinda getting good again when coronavirus a pneumonia opportunity occurred

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Eat My Fuc posted:

The problem is WWE isn't DOING anything with most of the wealth of talent they have in their insanely deep roster. They have someone like Chad Gable at their disposal and they made him loving Shorty G. Mustafa Ali has basically not existed since his (fairly minor, though poorly timed) injury last year. Andrade and Rey Mysterio have basically been attached at the hip for a year and a half, and their idea to shake the feud up was to add Garza and Carrillo, effectively quarantining all the latino guys into a single segment every week. I don't think noted mediocre-wrestler-but-great-talker EC3 has said a WORD on TV since he moved to Raw. What the gently caress happened with Sanity?? Cedric and Ricochet are dead in the water, Kofi was completely hung out to dry for no loving reason, the only reason Drew Gulak is on TV is because Bryan has some creative freedom, the god drat King Of Strong Style Shinsuke Nakamura is just some fuckin' guy now and is part of a team with El Generico's Good Friend Sami Zayn and Claudio Castagnoli, and they're a bunch of loving idiot loser jobbers. The list goes on and on.

There are so many wrestlers in WWE I would love to be able to watch but if I went back to watching WWE solely for the sake of the guys and girls I like, as you seem to be able to, it would just make me upset and pissed off that they're being so poorly handled, or not used at all.

As far as the morality stuff.... like, whatever, I don't really care to go into it much further at this point. but in my opinion WWE forfeited their "separate the art from the artist" card once and for all when they ran Crown Jewel a week after the Khashoggi murder. There is no such thing as an innocent corporation in a capitalist society but there are absolutely some that are worse than others and WWE is still run by a loving carny.

TriffTshngo fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Mar 20, 2020

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I don't want WWE to die. I want WWE to be knocked off it's pedestal.

A lot of the lovely things they do, and the lovely way they treat people, (both fans and wrestlers), is due to the fact that they have been king of poo poo hill for so long that a great many people think that the way they do things is the way things are done, and in any way acceptable.

I mean, ask a non-wrestling fan about wrestling and most likely they will say "Oh, you mean WWF? Yeah I loved Hulk Hogan/Stone Cold!".

When WWE is no longer the big leagues in the eyes of fans/wrestlers, then they will be forced by necessity to loosen a lot of their lovely behavior. (Horrible road schedule taking its toll on bodies, making wrestlers pay their own accom and travel costs, booking cuck/kiss my arse matches to amuse a senile bigot, restricting the creative freedom of creative performers who only became popular because of their own creativity among others.)

How and when this will happen, gently caress knows. But with AEW, (and others), becoming more popular, being cool and good, and most importantly being another place for the wrestlers to work/gain exposure is a good start.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I wonder when there’s a kiss me arse match going on and Vince is in gorilla dying of laughter, does everyone around him fake laugh to fit in or is there an awkward silence among them

Down Right Fierce
Jan 30, 2011
If you like WWE, just watch AEW, where everyone is a wwe guy!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Watch WWE for "sports entertainment", watch AEW and NJPW for actual pro wrestling. Problem solved :tipshat:

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
I worry that if WWE dies, rather than newer better things rising to fill the demand, that the mainstream audience will just disappear and the industry will go into a dark age. You see that in other mediums, like when Dungeons and Dragons is doing well, the whole tabletop RPG industry does better too, and when it's doing poorly, everyone else is doing worse.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

El Generico posted:

I worry that if WWE dies, rather than newer better things rising to fill the demand, that the mainstream audience will just disappear and the industry will go into a dark age. You see that in other mediums, like when Dungeons and Dragons is doing well, the whole tabletop RPG industry does better too, and when it's doing poorly, everyone else is doing worse.

That happened already with WCW. Sure, some of their audience went to WWF, but a lot more of them just stopped watching entirely.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Watch WWE for "sports entertainment", watch AEW and NJPW for actual pro wrestling. Problem solved :tipshat:

But AEW is well booked sports entertainment with good matches so as much as it's not for me it seems you'd be as well just watching that and filling the other good wrestling with All Japan or NOAH or DDT or Dragongate.

Eat My Fuc posted:

I want WWE to die precisely because they do have so many of my all time faves on the roster and proceed to do gently caress all with them. The moral issues suck but I'm a black metal fan and am trained at separating art from artist. I want WWE gone because they just make really bad wrestling and are the default name for wrestling in the west so do active damage to wrestling at large.

I loathe the house style which turns everyone into an identikit worker who loses the unique poo poo that got then signed in the first place aside from a handful of signature spots. It's so watered down. The roster is the best it has ever been from an in-ring perspective and yet the matches are overwhelmingly eh unless you're really into the overwrought melodrama of "why am I so violent?" which, personally speaking I don't find remotely compelling.

The last WWE match I remember actually being invested in was Bryan against Lesnar which must be 18 months ago? 2½ years? And that was because it didn't feel like a WWE match.

Holy poo poo, I was so excited when Danielson, probably my all-time fave, was back from retirement. Oh the possibilities. Danielson vs KENTA again. Danielson vs La Sombra. Danielson against Generico in a PWG classic, gently caress yeah! Danielson Joe! Instead we got 7 feet tall and you can't teach that (to wrestle) Colin Cassidy. And then he signs a new deal and the dreams of a Danielson G1 go in the bin.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I want WWE to die. Vince McMahon too.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

forkboy84 posted:

But AEW is well booked sports entertainment with good matches

AEW is pro wrestling and not "sports entertainment", because that term is basically shorthand for "whatever Vince McMahon finds entertaining" (which also rules out the "well booked" part, too, because most of the stuff that Vince finds entertaining is absolute garbage).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

bradzilla posted:

I want WWE to die. Vince McMahon too.