Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Aardvark Barber posted:

I didn't actually play with more than one player on my island yet but:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/fluyqu/animal_crossing_new_horizons_users_reporting/

This thread seems to go into more detail.

That thread led me to this one:

https://old.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/flsgm3/new_horizons_is_finally_here_are_you_a_new_player/fl0ln34/

quote:

Yeah... For the first (real life) week of playing, the game trickle feeds you new shops, buildings, recipes, and features. Only the first player can progress this. Once that week is over, assuming player one did all the tasks required to have all the features and buildings ready, it's sort of freedom for everyone from there.

It's annoying, I agree.

So what I'm guessing having only now seen news about all of this is that Reddit drastically overreacted concerning it?

I was wondering why there was a giant surge of zero out of ten reviews for the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Hihohe posted:

How do you vist the Uninhabited island?

On Day 2, hit up the airport and just say you wanna use your Nook Ticket or whatever to go somewhere. It's a small lil place, maybe smaller than the island in New Leaf.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
Does anyone know why some trees buzz?

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
I just finished playing this like a half hour ago and I already want to play more. what a wonderful game.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Macintosh HD posted:

shake them and see

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Macintosh HD posted:

It could be mole crickets underground near the tree. Dig up dirt in the area you hear it and you will probably get a mole cricket that you can net

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Macintosh HD posted:

Cicadas or wasps?

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

quote:

Gangtag Cut-off Warning

You have 36 hours from time of this post to request this fantabulous gangtag

After that you need to buy it yourself.

Remember to say 'please' when doing so, or imma probe you.

May I have this please?

an angry penguin
Oct 12, 2007

shortspecialbus posted:

What do you have against that nice kangaroo lady? I got her too and she seems fine.

I just don't really like her design.

Though I won't stoop to hitting her repeatedly with a net. I'm not a monster.
Yet.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

sexpig by night posted:

shake them and see
Nothing

Captain Monkey posted:

Cicadas or wasps?
Nothing comes out of the tree with a shake or axe

shortspecialbus posted:

It could be mole crickets underground near the tree. Dig up dirt in the area you hear it and you will probably get a mole cricket that you can net
I'll try that next! Thanks

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
This game is chill and I'm collecting new bugs/fish for tomorrow.

Seabhac
Sep 12, 2009

Hihohe posted:

How do you vist the Uninhabited island?

It's a randomly generated one each time, you spend 2000 nook points at the ATM machine type thing for a ticket which you bring to the airline and they fly you there.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Wow, I got Cherry and Billy as my opening duo. And I caught the first motherfucking wasp that came at me.

I feel like some kind of ubervillagermensch.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is there any other way to get the flimsy shovel other than wait for Blathers? I saw someone say they went to another island and somehow procured one there but everything i find says you need to talk to blathers for it.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Dely Apple posted:

And I caught the first motherfucking wasp that came at me.

:same:

Didn't catch the second or third tho :rip:

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
I have never played an Animal Crossing game ever in my Iife before, but I really enjoyed the old harvest moon and stardew valley, so I picked up the new switch version. Very first tree I ever shake contains a bunch of wasps which basically sting my avatar to high hell and now he's walking around with a busted face. I feel like if you could lose at this game I'd have lost.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Guilty posted:

I have never played an Animal Crossing game ever in my Iife before, but I really enjoyed the old harvest moon and stardew valley, so I picked up the new switch version. Very first tree I ever shake contains a bunch of wasps which basically sting my avatar to high hell and now he's walking around with a busted face. I feel like if you could lose at this game I'd have lost.

Getting stung the gently caress up is pretty par for the course for AC imo

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Tomorrow I get the second house upgrade, museum building and shop. Today was a fun day of grinding

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Infinitum posted:

:siren: Gangtag Cut-off Warning :siren:

You have 36 hours from time of this post to request this fantabulous gangtag

After that you need to buy it yourself.

Remember to say 'please' when doing so, or imma probe you.

Hi, please add that gang tag to what I got. Thank you!!!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Guilty posted:

You haven't completely lost until a villager laughs and mocks your injuries.
Also you can use the bug net on the bees, but it's a far easier option just to RUN for the nearest tent :ssh:

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
can we send each other fruit? i have oranges and pears and want more!

i got a pig named kevin and a kangaroo stoner :)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Violet_Sky posted:

May I have this please?

I'd also humbly like to request one, as well, please... The whole reason I didn't bother earlier is because until today, I didn't know I'd be actually buying this uhh... today, but I pulled the trigger because quarantining sucks.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Is it possible to get axes and shovels on Day 1 without time machine fuckery? They aren't available to buy or craft for me.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Hobo Clown posted:

Is it possible to get axes and shovels on Day 1 without time machine fuckery? They aren't available to buy or craft for me.

Axe yes, you can buy the recipe from nook I believe. The shovel sounds like no, because Blathers gives you the recipe when he moves in presumably to start the "dig for fossils" tutorial.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Hobo Clown posted:

axes yes, they open up in a bit after you do your initial nook miles stuff.

Shovels no, you get it from Blathers and have to wait the day for him to move in no matter how fast you unlock the tent itself.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Hobo Clown posted:

I haven't seen a shovel on day 1 but I do have an axe, I believe it was in the plans Nook starts giving you if you bring him new animals to identify.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Hobo Clown posted:

Yep. Donate some bugs/fish to Nook and I think after 3 or 4 he gives you a recipe for an ax

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
I wish they'd tied all the tutorial day preamble either to scripted progress or raw time spent rather than the real day cycle. I've got a friend on the west coast and 4 hours after the game dropped they had a litany of stuff to mess around with whereas workaday old east coaster me has to wait 28 hours for the same stuff. Makes the first proper day pretty thin if you're in the most lagged time zone with it. Especially since you're stuck with the same drat song instead of getting to hear those glorious AM/PM tracks. But especially especially since this game has by far the most constrained start of an AC game given the concept. No complaints about that element specifically though I think it's cool as hell.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

When you travel to a Nook Miles Ticket island, the contact on the island will sell you Flimsy Shovels/Axes for 100 nook miles apiece.

Then you buy the Impressive DIY set for Nook Miles, use those in said DIY recipe, and make regular Shovel/Axes :getin:

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

Dely Apple posted:

When you travel to a Nook Miles Ticket island, the contact on the island will sell you Flimsy Shovels/Axes for 100 nook miles apiece.

Then you buy the Impressive DIY set for Nook Miles, use those in said DIY recipe, and make regular Shovel/Axes :getin:

bless

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

InsertPotPun posted:

can we send each other fruit? i have oranges and pears and want more!

i got a pig named kevin and a kangaroo stoner :)

If you visit someone's island online, you can bring your fruit to them. I've been doling out cherries and rusty oil barrels today.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I only shake trees with my net out, precisely lined up to catch that bee or wasp before it gets me.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Casu Marzu posted:

Yep. Donate some bugs/fish to Nook and I think after 3 or 4 he gives you a recipe for an ax

Thank you. I'd been doing all my business with the small Nook and somehow forgot to try talking to the big fat one

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Ah. Figured it out. Nook gives you a free ticket after you upgrade to your house, she didn't do that last night.

I missed three grasshoppers on my first trip which sucks but it was otherwise profitable. Brought back some flowers and coconuts and fish. Are flowers by themselves good for anything?

I think I'm about tapped out for the day tho. Without a ladder to access the second level of the islands, it doesn't feel like I'm getting the full value of the trip so I'll wait to gather ore until I have the ladder. I wanted to finish both the museum and the shop today but I can live with one of the two.

By the way, when do we get that ladder?

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

What you can do to get an Axe/Vault Pole is to just have someone who has unlocked them buy/craft you one/two and drop it in your island/pick it up from theirs and you'll be able to use it just fine. Still can't craft your own until Blathers shows up, but it'll work temporarily. I did this for my wife since she didn't put down the tent last night.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
You can't throw tools that are about to break to score extra damage 4/10

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
This game is super fun but I'm afraid my immoral time travelling will make me exhaust all the cool poo poo too fast.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is it just me or do animals get tired of talking to you way quicker in this game? After only a few conversations spread out over hours they already started getting short with me.

"Don't you have someone else to talk to?" No Mira, I don't. My 1 other neighbor is asleep and the Raccoons aren't much for conversation.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

JosefStalinator posted:

This game is super fun but I'm afraid my immoral time travelling will make me exhaust all the cool poo poo too fast.

My one tip I give to anyone new to the series is to not time travel and not from a "morality" standpoint either. I had a few Japanese friends who had NL earlier than other regions and it really ruined some events for me just because it was old news or the cool things from it, I already had. I had the Werewolf hat early on, everything was given to me, all that jazz. The game is essentially endless, but time traveling gives it a definitive end. Right now, there's so much to do in one day that it just becomes nice to know I can chill and pop in every now and then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Copicat
Jan 25, 2014

jibberin' Ghibli giblets!
Finally got around to my passport photo, enjoy!

edit: I swear I'm a mature AC player:imunfunny:

Copicat fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 20, 2020