Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Scalding Coffee posted:

You did use items, right?

Very occasionally :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Gologle posted:

I was thinking about what if Shinra was a real life company, so I came up with this stupid poo poo:

"So how does Shinra's agile approach adapt to the negative influencers among their client base spreading fake news about our productivity and alleged "harmful" byproducts in our Mako reactors? Well, as we've addressed before, our two week sprints have undergone a small shift in our usual paradigms to respond to consumer concerns. Rest assured, daily conversations are taking place in the corporate echelons with the ultimate intention to benefit the customer. We here at Shinra take your safety into the utmost consideration when deciding on how to proceed into the next quarter, always keeping in mind our core values and mission statement: When we profit, people profit."

I work in corporate marketing and this is disturbingly on point.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Now do Shinra's COVID-19 email.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
"We're taking it day by day. OK back to work."

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
I was excited about this game until I saw just now that it wasn't going to be the full game. No way in hell am I buying this. Maybe I'll wait 2-3 years until you can get the complete story for 30 bucks

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Gologle posted:

I was thinking about what if Shinra was a real life company, so I came up with this stupid poo poo:

"So how does Shinra's agile approach adapt to the negative influencers among their client base spreading fake news about our productivity and alleged "harmful" byproducts in our Mako reactors? Well, as we've addressed before, our two week sprints have undergone a small shift in our usual paradigms to respond to consumer concerns. Rest assured, daily conversations are taking place in the corporate echelons with the ultimate intention to benefit the customer. We here at Shinra take your safety into the utmost consideration when deciding on how to proceed into the next quarter, always keeping in mind our core values and mission statement: When we profit, people profit."

Yeah that's pretty stupid

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Amarcarts posted:

I was excited about this game until I saw just now that it wasn't going to be the full game. No way in hell am I buying this. Maybe I'll wait 2-3 years until you can get the complete story for 30 bucks

It is the full game of part one or whatever. There's more content and it's all animated. I can understand from the demo why they're doing it like this.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Amarcarts posted:

it's a like 60 hour game lol

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm gonna get a bit rambly on why I think FF7R being split into parts is ok.

The Lord of the Rings is one story. The physical limitations of books at the time made it impractical to bind and handle a book that long, so Tolkien split it into three books. Source: the foreword to The Lord of the Rings: One Ring Edition I bought on Kindle for $1 after waking up hungover New Years Day two years ago. Which was about all I read from it.

While the original FF7 was delivered as one complete story, it was planned under the constraints of the hardware at the time, which was new and they were learning it. They were able adjust key things as development continued. It was originally going to take place in New York City. Clearly, that changed somewhere down the line. They had more freedom to be flexible.

FF7R is being made under much different circumstances. Kind of an opposite set of circumstances from the original. The story is set in stone. It's a remake. They're working against what they made before and the idealized memories of people who've been playing it for twenty years. They're under a lot of pressure to make it as accurate as possible, but also make it feel fresh. It's late gen, so they know the technology really well and are pushing it to it's limits. The constraints of HD development mean they can either make it whole but not too detailed, or as detailed as possible but not whole. Square Enix has a reputation for being a graphics technology powerhouse, so they chose to make it as crazy detailed as possible. Which, in HD development, means large file sizes. Part 1 is already gonna be two blu-ray discs. The only other game I know that did that was Red Dead Redemption 2 (which wasn't a remake so they were able to create the story around the hardware). But the advantage of this approach means that they don't have to cut content or abridge anything. They're expanding on stuff. Going crazy with it. It's not episodic in a Tell Tale sense. They said each part will be as long as a typical Final Fantasy game. So I'm ok with this approach. It'll take longer to produce, sure, but at least it won't be a Final Fantasy XV situation, with gigantic patches happen post launch to drastically alter chapters of the game.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

"if you're expecting to pick up three FF7Rs in two years for like $30 you're a big dummy" is my less nice take on it

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

grieving for Gandalf posted:

"if you're expecting to pick up three FF7Rs in two years for like $30 you're a big dummy" is my less nice take on it

What do SE sales look like anyway, these days? Last I checked they liked to keep prices higher than I expected even for old old games.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

aegof posted:

What do SE sales look like anyway, these days? Last I checked they liked to keep prices higher than I expected even for old old games.

Not as good as you'd like, generally.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Argh, I waited too long to pre-order the physical collectors edition in aus and now they're sold out.

help

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
We're all gonna be dead of covid 19x2 electric boogaloo before this series of games is finished, so you may as well play the first one

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

aegof posted:

They’ve been selling KH3 for dirt cheap.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ItBreathes posted:

Not as good as you'd like, generally.

I dunno FF15 Royal goes on sale for $15 a whole lot.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Their big games go down fast but poo poo that should have been $20 at most like the lovely Tokyo RPG Factory games seem to retain their value for much longer, presumably because they're digital only and aren't competing with physical sales.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Detective No. 27 posted:

While the original FF7 was delivered as one complete story, it was planned under the constraints of the hardware at the time, which was new and they were learning it. They were able adjust key things as development continued. It was originally going to take place in New York City. Clearly, that changed somewhere down the line. They had more freedom to be flexible.
Eh? Was it the same team that did Parasite Eve?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Jackard posted:

A lot of the original ideas for FFVII are what would later become PE.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sakurazuka posted:

Their big games go down fast but poo poo that should have been $20 at most like the lovely Tokyo RPG Factory games seem to retain their value for much longer, presumably because they're digital only and aren't competing with physical sales.

Yeah that's true enough. I know I got Nier for cheap too, and I just got Octopath Traveler for $30 a few days ago

Talking of which though, god drat, Octopath Traveler is insanely good and it's sad that it's never gonna get a PS4 release

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Release the game Square :argh:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

And by a lot I mostly mean the setting and the cop thing but y'know

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Jackard posted:

AFAIK, yes. FFVII originally started development in 1994 with the New York concept for the SNES. Then production halted to work on Chrono Trigger. Once that was done, they rejiggered the concept into Midgar, moved development to the PlayStation, and reused then NYC setting for Parasite Eve later on.

esperterra posted:

A lot of the original ideas for FFVII are what would later become PE.

I can’t name anything specific, but I also want to say some concepts for the original FFVII ended up in Chrono Trigger as well.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

maaaaybe? CT came out one year after VI, and VII two years after CT.

e: and if i remember right CT was Sakaguchi's brain baby as like an NES concept. if anything maybe VII reused some ideas that didn't make it into CT?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Open Marriage Night posted:

They’ve been selling KH3 for dirt cheap.

You can also get All The Kingdom Hearts bundle for real cheap in a sale these days, so I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see FF7R Complete or w/e getting pretty cheap whenever that long road ends.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Amarcarts posted:

Firstly: Where the gently caress have you been that you've only just found out that the game is going to be episodic?

Secondly: Gya-hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Amarcarts posted:

Maybe I'll wait 2-3 years until you can get the complete story for 30 bucks

I hate to tell you this, but-

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

part three on the ps5 pro is gonna look so sick. if earth still exists or whatever

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"The planet is dying, Cloud."
-"I don't care."
"No, I mean, for real, if we don't save the planet there won't be FF7R-2."

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt

esperterra posted:

maaaaybe? CT came out one year after VI, and VII two years after CT.

e: and if i remember right CT was Sakaguchi's brain baby as like an NES concept. if anything maybe VII reused some ideas that didn't make it into CT?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yN3JeFrfRQ

Here’s a pretty good history of the ff7 development and it covers where some of the scrapped concept and ideas ended up

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I have not read Elentor’s LP, but with more time on my hands and the urge to take another dip in FF7, I’d appreciate a link to it :)

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Iacen posted:

I have not read Elentor’s LP, but with more time on my hands and the urge to take another dip in FF7, I’d appreciate a link to it :)

It's in the OP!!

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Iacen posted:

https://lparchive.org/Final-Fantasy-VII/

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Amarcarts posted:

:bang:

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Terper posted:

It's in the OP!!

Sorry, I actually did look, but did not see it :(

Thanks, y'all!

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

It's unfortunate that so many people seem to think that "episodic" means it will be released like episodes from games like The Walking Dead and Life Is Strange. They should have used a different word.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

GoGoGadget posted:

It's unfortunate that so many people seem to think that "episodic" means it will be released like episodes from games like The Walking Dead and Life Is Strange. They should have used a different word.

Well, technically, before any of those, there's the Dot Hack games, which were made by Cyberconnect 2 who was originally brought on to help development... until they were summarily shitcanned and all reference to development trouble they had with the game was wiped from the face of the internet with a bloody vengeance. And those games did all come out in basically the same year... buuuuuut also those games were way smaller, and less in scope.

The person doing the LOTR comparison is on point.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Luxury Tent Carpet posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yN3JeFrfRQ

Here’s a pretty good history of the ff7 development and it covers where some of the scrapped concept and ideas ended up
Wow so this is also where Xenogears came from

GoGoGadget posted:

How about series like Legacy of Kain

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Hey, we only had to wait two years between Soul Reaver's "To Be Continued" ending and Soul Reaver 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

Jackard posted:

Wow so this is also where Xenogears came from

Xenogears was originally pitched as FFVII but was rejected because it was too complex and dark for a Final Fantasy title (at the time). They were allowed to go ahead with it as a separate project though. After that, it was envisioned as a sequel to Chrono Trigger, but there was some kind of infighting with Square about that and Xenogears wound up as an original title instead.

That's something else that I enjoy about VII. Some awesome game ideas spawned from it's early concept days.