Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

I've just discovered the storage option

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

jackhunter64 posted:

Got some amiibo cards in the post this morning and New Leaf bestie MERRY was in the first one :getin: Also got an Ankha, which I've heard people will pay big money for?

It's Boats, Beaches, Bars, and Ballads for me. After all, it's these changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes
Nothing remains quite the same
Through all of the islands and all of the highlands
If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Fistful of Silence posted:

Appreciate the tip! I’ll try to learn to do it that way eventually too, but I’ve been playing since the GameCube AC so using the audio is pretty ingrained. 🙂

It's new for me too! Heck, I've spent hours fishing in AC and WoW on sound alone. I think this is the first one with good enough subtley in vibration to pull it off so far. MY real problem with fishing streaks is I set my controller down for a second and then plop! I missed it.

Any else notice how the nook miles+ quest complete or pop up sound is kind of like the opening jingle of kakariko village in Ocarina of Time?

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

So have we figured out a good way to get the iron nuggets for the shop yet?

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Teddybear posted:

Buy Nook Ticket, go to island. Find rocks. Make sure all the tiles around the rock are clear. Dig two holes a space away and stand against them so you can't get knocked back. Wack it 9 times for items. Do this on an island or two and you should be done.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Teddybear posted:

Use your Nook Miles (2000) to go to the randomly generated deserted islands. Otherwise it'll take awhile of smacking the few rocks on your own island.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Was a little disappointed when I got my vaulting pole and discovered this granted me access to zero (0) additional rocks on my island (currently, anyway)

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Gulliver's phone screen is cracked :lol:

Squats
Nov 4, 2009

The thread is moving at lightning speed. Just chiming in on the status of Buttopia.

Ended up with native buttfruit trees and two nerds with outrageous eyebrows.

Nook's Cranny is finished and I'm starting on some additional housing for new villagers. Tomorrow the museum should be fully built.

Thanks to all the goons in the discord that let me visit and trade fruits yesterday!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Teddybear posted:

Mystery Tours. You can complete the shop in one day if you just go on a bunch of tours and hit rocks. It takes some miles grinding but that shouldn't be an issue for someone enjoying the game.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Are persimmons in this game? I'm one fruit short of the All Fruits nookchievement.

Also am I right that fish/bugs can't be traded? Even as best friends I can't pick them up... My completion!!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Are persimmons in this game? I'm one fruit short of the All Fruits nookchievement.

Also am I right that fish/bugs can't be traded? Even as best friends I can't pick them up... My completion!!

Nope, its Cherries, Apples, Oranges, Peaches, Pears and Coconuts

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Have you planted any coconuts?

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

CubeTheory posted:

Buy Nook Ticket, go to island. Find rocks. Make sure all the tiles around the rock are clear. Dig two holes a space away and stand against them so you can't get knocked back. Wack it 9 times for items. Do this on an island or two and you should be done.

How does the digging 2 holes thing help?

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

mutata posted:

Where's the best place to order AC cards in the US? I mean the packs, not specific ones. eBay?

That or Amazon since anything covered by Prime is essentially a guarantee that it’s what you ordered.

But yeah, they don’t sell them anywhere anymore, so whatever 3rd party market works. I’m going to be making an SA Mart post soon myself since i’m on the hunt for a good bit of them.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Help:

Trying to plant some trees and I need to know the minimum distance for them to grow properly (fruit or otherwise)

is it:

TxT

or:

TxxT

Or even farther?

The easiest way to find out if a layout works is to try planting fully grown trees instead of saplings. The game will stop you from planting anything it doesn't like.

In New Leaf, the closest cluster of tress went like this:

code:
TxT
xxx
xTx
Like a triangle shape. It also didn't like you planting rows of trees, so you always had to plant forests diagonally (S for sapling):

code:
TxSxx
xxxxx
xTxSx

and not

TxSxS

DeadlyHalibut posted:

If you (P) stand diagonally to the rock (R) and hit it with a shovel, the two holes (H) prevent you from being pushed back

code:
xxR
HPx
xHx

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

DeadlyHalibut posted:

Knockback from hitting the rock makes you swing at air after a while and you're on a timer after your first hit.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
Is there a button combo to change leaders locally? We only have one controller set with gyro and it is really frustrating us because we can't play co-op unless we each use an individual joy con. :/ Tried looking earlier in the thread and searching but all I get is the same regurgitated SEO spam sites or Nintendo marketing material. I'm hoping it is just something we're overlooking.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 21, 2020

Whimsicalfuckery
Sep 6, 2011

Can you move the placement of the shop and museum later? Already starting to regret some of my town planning decisions.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I just moved a bunch of trees and seems you can do:

TxT
xxx
TxT

and so on. diagonals count as if not being there, so you have to move them back and down or whatever.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

It is extremely baffling to me that I can't use the touch screen to paint pro designs. I hope this becomes an option later on. Somehow, the touch screen works for typing in messages or sums of money, but not with any other type of interaction. What gives?

Just visited the photographer for the first time. I might have to actually get into those QR code cards, folks. Staging scenes with my favourite animals is just too tempting. :ohdear:

Gulliver confused the hell out of me when he asked me to look for suspicious spots on the beach. Why would radio components squirt water at me?

Now that there are three animals moving in, I haven't seen a single person during my trips. Kind of a bummer.

Also, this thread moves sooo fast. :tviv:

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I just moved a bunch of trees and seems you can do:

TxT
xxx
TxT

and so on. diagonals count as if not being there, so you have to move them back and down or whatever.

That's good to know. My forests might become slightly less impossible to navigate, now. :monocle:

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

https://twitter.com/hopeandjoy9/status/1241451757475004416?s=21

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Animal Crossing is All Elite :cool:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

explosivo posted:

Animal Crossing is All Elite :cool:

It sure is

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Sonofabitch, got QR codes for those bad boys?

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

This is beautiful.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

how the hell do you catch the cicadas or whatever the bugs are that are chirping from the trees? I keep hearing them yet no matter how much I shake the tree I pinpoint it to or hit it with various tools, nothing pops out.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Sorry if this has been asked, I tried looking but this thread is bookin' it!

I'm having trouble scanning the QR code for a custom design I made on http://www.acpatterns.com. It successfully loads into the (not-NookPhone) app, but immediately fails when I try to redeem it. Anyone else getting this?

i vomit kittens posted:

how the hell do you catch the cicadas or whatever the bugs are that are chirping from the trees? I keep hearing them yet no matter how much I shake the tree I pinpoint it to or hit it with various tools, nothing pops out.

Those are underground critters; go to where the sound is loudest and start diggin! Get ready to get your net out, because they'll scurry away after a short while.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
How do you use amiibo cards to get villagers? Or can you do that in NH?

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Annath posted:

You might be able to later on. It seems like you can use the cards to invite animals for a photo op.

sparksbloom
Apr 30, 2006

i vomit kittens posted:

They're buried mole crickets, you have to dig them up.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Annath posted:

You can once the campgrounds open

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Edit: broke my album

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Mar 21, 2020

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Science fiction writers, I am sorry to say, really do not know anything. We can't talk about science, because our knowledge of it is limited and unofficial, and usually our fiction is dreadful.

Grimey Drawer

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Don’t forget to plant your own fruit. This tripped me up for a bit.

Finally got level 3 Cast Master! I agree with whoever said this was a a surprisingly unchill thing for this game. It really sticks out compared to pretty much every other task in the game I’ve seen so far.

EDIT: PS: Scaring away fish doesn’t interrupt the streak thankfully, they have to bite at least once for it to count as a miss I think. And if if you miss one you should be able to (in most cases) immediately go to your home menu and quit without it saving, too.

Fistful of Silence fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 21, 2020

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I guess you can get islands without a villager hanging out on it?

Edit: also ore is a real pain in the rear end

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Casu Marzu posted:

I guess you can get islands without a villager hanging out on it?

Edit: also ore is a real pain in the rear end

I think villagers only show up if you have room in your town, which is kind of lame.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Where can I find more flower seeds? I outright transplanted my first, but just picking flowers and expecting to "plant them" went as well as you'd expect.

To be fair, I was coming off my high of realizing dropping the butt fruit into a hole would lead to it magically turning into a sapling, immediately.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Fistful of Silence posted:

Don’t forget to plant your own fruit. This tripped me up for a bit.

Finally got level 3 Cast Master! I agree with whoever said this was a a surprisingly unchill thing for this game. It really sticks out compared to pretty much every other task in the game I’ve seen so far.

They have to make it extra tough for us tryhard types, considering it gives custom titles "Hardcore" and "Pole-tugger"

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
There are only villagers on the expedition islands until you recruit 3 of them.

After that people start moving in randomly ala the older games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Bell_ posted:

Where can I find more flower seeds? I outright transplanted my first, but just picking flowers and expecting to "plant them" went as well as you'd expect.

To be fair, I was coming off my high of realizing dropping the butt fruit into a hole would lead to it magically turning into a sapling, immediately.

Push R at the store