Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

RIP Kenny Rogers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

He finally folded :(

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Totally coincidence and confirmation bias, but I was just thinking of him 2 weeks ago and watched the Muppets gambler sketch on youtube. I remember watching this when it originally aired on TV.

https://youtu.be/kNnrTNFWcsg

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Thank you for being a birb friend.

Had more tits in my box this morning (next door feed them so they are always around in the mornings) but they seemed to get scared off when I walked nearby so decided to relocate my birb box by about 3 metres to get it further away from the door and front of the garage and me. Fingers crossed the new location is satisfactory and they come back.

Tomarse fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 21, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We're all going to die

https://www.propublica.org/article/...lHfw_uBtrn27iZo

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Don’t threaten me with a good time

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

What seems unusual with this is while the young/healthy are far less likely to have a problem, IF they have a problem it seems to be a big problem more often than it would otherwise.

Canada is not loving around and in the last few days seem to be mobilizing like the war to get ahead of this. They are dealing with manufacturers to see who can retool for making medical devices, not unlike WW2/Korea where appliance makers started making firearms and poo poo. Auto and parts manufacturers are seriously looking at making medical equipment at the governments request. https://business.financialpost.com/transportation/canadian-auto-suppliers-in-talks-to-build-ventilators-masks-during-coronavirus-crisis

quote:

On Thursday, autoparts manufacturers Martinrea International Inc. and Linamar Corp., General Motors Canada and Ontario’s health minister all confirmed efforts to investigate the possibility of changing gears to build medical equipment during the COVID-19 pandemic.

“Obviously, our business isn’t producing ventilators, but we have a lot of assembly capacity and we know how to make things,” said Rob Wildeboer, executive chairman of Martinrea International. “If we can get the drawings and the technical guidance, we’re ready and willing to help.”

It will be interesting as hell looking back at this to see how quickly modern manufacturing can re-tool to make entirely different products. The industrial might of North America hasn't been tested like this for generations. I can only think/hope Europe is doing something similar.

In other news, Steam is giving away Tomb Raider for free for the next few days. If you add it into your library you get to keep it permanently by the looks of it.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/203160/Tomb_Raider/

slidebite fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Mar 21, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

slidebite posted:

They are dealing with manufacturers to see who can retool for making medical devices, not unlike WW2/Korea where appliance makers started making firearms and poo poo. Auto and parts manufacturers are seriously looking at making medical equipment at the governments request. https://business.financialpost.com/transportation/canadian-auto-suppliers-in-talks-to-build-ventilators-masks-during-coronavirus-crisis

My employer has received record orders this quarter (we make medical device materials) and if we have to shut down due to infection we're going to gently caress the supply chain.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I got one of those wall tire racks up in my garage and I think I'm done for today. It the trees are throwing pollen everywhere and I have a low grade upper respiratory something. I took loratadine and it's helped but I still feel lousy.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

cakesmith handyman posted:

Thanks Stevebob, that cracked me up. Thinking about permanently mounting a pencil sharpener into the front of my bench now.

I have an ancient AC-powered office-style electric sharpener on my bench, and I have enough pens and pencils hoarded from years of... being me that I always have *something*. Odds on any ink pens working, though, is iffy. Sharpies I seem to have enough, though I can never seem to find the “ultra-fine” one. Started buying the cheap knockoffs at Lowe’s rather than name-brand Sharpies. Seem to be fine and less likely to get lost, right?

MomJeans420 posted:

I just tried my Goo Gone spray again to see if it would work, but even spraying it on a rag then applying it to the window so it could just sit there for 5 mins didn't do poo poo compared to Berryman's B12. It looks like I'll be working from home for at least the next month (I expect more), so I'm just going to slowly clean up my windows and try to avoid pissing off my doctor and/or lungs.

I forgot that when I removed tint myself ~13 years ago, I swore I would never do it myself again. The tint part is deceptively easy, but getting 100% of the adhesive is the hard part.

Steam is your friend. I bought a little Shark steamer just for cleaning stuff like that.

Jesus Christ, that’s terrifying.
BRB, going to go post that to combat all the right-wing assholes on FB. They’ll call it fake, of course, but I have to try.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Wrar posted:

I got one of those wall tire racks up in my garage and I think I'm done for today. It the trees are throwing pollen everywhere and I have a low grade upper respiratory something. I took loratadine and it's helped but I still feel lousy.
We spent the morning cleaning, rearranging and organizing the garage...I definitely over-did it. Just added two of those to the shopping list as well as a wall/ceiling mount retractable extension cord. Hope the respiratory isn't anything serious, take care of yourself.

slidebite posted:

In other news, Steam is giving away Tomb Raider for free for the next few days. If you add it into your library you get to keep it permanently by the looks of it.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/203160/Tomb_Raider/
Can recommend this one, really enjoyed my play through.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Now imagine being a healthcare worker seeing assholes walking around wearing N95s while your director of operations is sending out e-mails that your hospital is running low.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Now imagine being a healthcare worker seeing assholes walking around wearing N95s while your director of operations is sending out e-mails that your hospital is running low.

:(

Stay safe man.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Imsa iracing Sebring isn't half bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqyjMw3XzrY

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I'm resigned to the fact that I'll get it sooner or later and I'll just keep working until then.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Rhyno posted:

:(

Stay safe man.

I appreciate the sentiment, but it's pretty much literally impossible. The country had months to prepare -- ramp up testing supplies, arrange drive-in and mobile testing centers, stockpile and manufacture PPE, and protect the most vulnerable. Instead, Trump tried to pretend it was a hoax so as not to disturb his precious stock market gains, and politicians sold off stock instead of warn their constituents. So now we enact more severe emergency measures that won't work as well, and in all likelihood a lot of us die. Here's hoping the chloroquine/azithromycin combination works ... and that we can make enough of it to go around.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Seeing how many doctors and nurses have gotten it, yeah it's not looking good for health care workers.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I appreciate the sentiment, but it's pretty much literally impossible. The country had months to prepare -- ramp up testing supplies, arrange drive-in and mobile testing centers, stockpile and manufacture PPE, and protect the most vulnerable. Instead, Trump tried to pretend it was a hoax so as not to disturb his precious stock market gains, and politicians sold off stock instead of warn their constituents. So now we enact more severe emergency measures that won't work as well, and in all likelihood a lot of us die. Here's hoping the chloroquine/azithromycin combination works ... and that we can make enough of it to go around.

Good luck. Thanks for sharing your wisdom here.

His address today made me want to puke, saying took it seriously so early on people questioned him. Yeah, maybe fox news did, or people living in his cycle of disinformation, but they don’t know a loving thing about virology or medicine.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Jesus christ that's one of the most depressing things I've ever read here.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

All this poo poo has really done a number on my drive to do anything, much less work. I’m trying to force myself to do small constructive things, but my brain if fighting back. All it wants to do is curl into a ball and/or watch the world burn.

My job is party hands-on-hardware (desktop support) so I’m still going in to work, not to mention I’m not really set up for WFH. Much like I learn best in a classroom, I work best, such as it is, at work. Only maybe 20 people spread among 5 floors, so social distancing is not a problem. Traffic is great, and I can park anywhere I want in the parking structure, pretty much. Boss has been great about it all, even though I’m still just a contractor.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
What are you guys doing to stay sane? Week one of quarantine and I've burned through most of my games and the missus and I are already going stir crazy in the same ~1000 sqft of space with no real outside interaction

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

DIY mainly, I have enough paint to do the whole house inside. I also started a project in the garage.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

My Baja project was deemed a write off by insurance so I'm disassembling everything to keep busy during the isolation. Getting to disassembling exhaust components and I've broken out the dremel and grinder because gently caress exhaust bolts. The extractor sockets chewed up one side and it's now completely rounded so going to just cut the bolt off hopefully. And don't get me started on the lower downpipe bolts.

Next week is my first working from home so we'll see how that progresses. Tested the VPN/remote desktop setup on Friday and it worked relatively well so I'm hopeful it'll be manageable.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I figured everything was going to poo poo so I basically bought out the entire non fiction section at the local libraries used book store the week before they closed.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

My generator is very fussy with old gas so I'm going to drain it, get it running with some fresh stuff, and put some stabilizer in it.

Might organize the garage a bit too - it's a disaster.

Other than that, I have an online U course I'm working through (corporate law, dry as the sahara) and a massive backlog of steam games which I'm sure could keep my occupied until 2062.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

slidebite posted:

Jesus christ that's one of the most depressing things I've ever read here.

If we don't find a way to recover from Trump's fuckups, that post will pale in comparison to the "my grandparents/parents/siblings/kids just died in their own secretions" comments we'll be seeing.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I guess I can finally finish painting the trim I put up and I've got some woodworking and home improvement projects I've been putting off. My fever has broken, so maybe power tools and detailed painting aren't out of the question anymore

Anghammarad
Jan 3, 2010

Ruining your domestic car industry since 1968
Looks like this coming fortnight is the time to teach my 4 year old daughter why to fear the name 'LUCAS', and finally get round to fix my two poorly rovers :(

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

rdb posted:

Good luck. Thanks for sharing your wisdom here.

His address today made me want to puke, saying took it seriously so early on people questioned him. Yeah, maybe fox news did, or people living in his cycle of disinformation, but they don’t know a loving thing about virology or medicine.

Ohio's health director said in a live news conference that you can't believe the numbers, because they have so few test kits that they are only testing the most vulnerable. So there's a multiple to every number you see.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Bajaha posted:

My Baja project was deemed a write off by insurance so I'm disassembling everything to keep busy during the isolation. Getting to disassembling exhaust components and I've broken out the dremel and grinder because gently caress exhaust bolts. The extractor sockets chewed up one side and it's now completely rounded so going to just cut the bolt off hopefully. And don't get me started on the lower downpipe bolts.

What happened to the baja project?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Desantis is a loving moron this state is screwed

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Desantis is a loving moron this state is screwed
He's the Florida Man that all the Florida Men and Florida Women voted for, what did you think was going to happen?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Krakkles posted:

He's the Florida Man that all the Florida Men and Florida Women voted for, what did you think was going to happen?
Death by misadventure within his first week in office, probably something ridiculous involving alcohol, a jetski, and alligators?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

mariooncrack posted:

What happened to the baja project?

Some lowlife decided to try to steal it, was defeated by the immobilizer from the 2010 WRX steering column, and decided to shred my interior as an alternate. Insurance took their sweet time to make a decision (since September) and now It's back on my driveway and getting broken down to its constituent pieces and sold off bit by bit. Bit of a bummer. I did forgot how easy Subies were to work on though. Everything is either a 10,12, or 14mm and there's like max 5 fasteners holding any one part on.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Krakkles posted:

Should have known, his nose is so far up Trump's rear end you'd think he's Pinocchio

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Here's hoping the chloroquine/azithromycin combination works ... and that we can make enough of it to go around.

AHAHAHAHA gently caress me I have an allergy to azithromycin :suicide:

It's minor, like hives and whatnot, so I'll deal with the itchy/scratchy bullshit if I can keep breathing.

Bajaha posted:

I did forgot how easy Subies were to work on though. Everything is either a 10,12, or 14mm and there's like max 5 fasteners holding any one part on.

JIS Standard supremacy. Every time I work on something that's not a Honda/Toyota/Nissan (gently caress Subaraus, I had a bad experience) I curse the fact that I need a 13 or a 15 or even a 16 sometimes for some bullshit. I'm so in love with it that if I have to replace a bolt on one of my cars I make the effort to conform.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Norm McDonald might be restarting his podcast

https://youtu.be/u8xZQnAnOoE

And remember to wash your hands, but not with bat juice!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Lol

I've given up eating Bat so now I'm eating impossible Bat :v:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

The Door Frame posted:

What are you guys doing to stay sane? Week one of quarantine and I've burned through most of my games and the missus and I are already going stir crazy in the same ~1000 sqft of space with no real outside interaction

I've made more progress on the house than I have in months, went dirt biking all day today, now enjoying the beautiful weather on my deck, so far I've seen a hummingbird fight, two Peregrine Falcons playing right in front of me, and a hummingbird fight. I haven't even touched my backlog of media.

E: going to a drive m-in movie tonight since those are still open! Gonna pretend it's 1969, maybe do some neckin'

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Mar 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I had a job once where I used a lot of acids to etch steel. The ventilation was mediocre and once or twice I got a big gasp of fumes that took my breath away for a couple days. I got that feeling again today, not coughing up blood anymore but I feel like I am breathing harder than normal. Definitely still coughing/headache. SpO2 is good, pulse elevated. I really just want to get this out there, this is a respiratory illness. People normally downplay respiratory illnesses like the flu or colds. People are walking around right now with something they think is nothing that’s really just the start. Or maybe its nothing for them, but for the people they come into contact with its death.

I got told again that I am not eligible for a test under indiana state guidelines. Since I haven’t been to China/Iran/Europe or been in contact with someone who tested positive I couldn’t possibly have the “foreign virus”. But each day that this goes on has me more convinced its not just a cold. I have had symptoms for 15 days.

“A health care worker at a hospital in Indiana described a Kafkaesque scenario: medical staffers can only get the masks when a patient has tested positive for the virus, but the facility has no way to confirm a case.”

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/system-doomed-doctors-nurses-sound-nbc-news-coronavirus-survey-n1164841?cid=sm_npd_nn_fb_ma

Local government and hospitals parrot the fact that there are no confirmed cases in the area.

rdb fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 22, 2020