Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Holy poo poo lmao at the end of 6 Underground

Do the billionaires save the world?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

feedmyleg posted:

Do the billionaires save the world?

There’s actually only one billionaire, and he does not save the world. (His organization’s mission statement is specifically to not save the world.)

People keep underestimating just how nuanced Bay’s films are. This one’s got the best twist since Mile 22.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I AM IN A MUSIC VIDEO AND I MUST SCREAM

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Anonymous Robot posted:

I am, yes. I actually used to be severely obese myself; practicing periodic fasting (in tandem with caloric restriction on regular days) was part of how I managed to lose 225 lbs in a year and a half. :)

Although I think some form of fasting is critical in working with the hormonal profile of obesity that makes it so difficult to shed adipose tissue (Mainstream medicine attempts to circumvent this by implementing sub 800 Calorie diets, also known as "Very-low-calorie diets", which has its own drawbacks and benefits), it's not a magic bullet that the, now trendy, fasting ideologues may have people believe. So what you've done is quite incredible.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

I, Butthole posted:

Kenny Rogers died

2020 can gently caress right off

I knew a guy that did sound for him on a tour, said he was a good boss. Would only work 3 days a week, paid well, loved to give gifts to everyone on the crew, and got everyone their own room in every city on the tour because he didn't believe two grown men should ever share a room.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Power of Pecota posted:

I have some friends who usually hold a movie night on Sundays - since I'm guessing people here would know from Scream Streams and dickstreams and such, what's the best current way to stream video for a group of people watching separately?

Watch2gether is the one I remembered, and it looks like that's Youtube-only - can you use like rentals through youtube on that? Is there anything that lets you upload your own video?
Looking for the answer to this also. Watch2gether doesn't have a login option, so no rentals.

Rabbit was good back in the day because you were just sharing a browser window, and could log in to whatever.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Power of Pecota posted:

I have some friends who usually hold a movie night on Sundays - since I'm guessing people here would know from Scream Streams and dickstreams and such, what's the best current way to stream video for a group of people watching separately?

If your desired movie or show is on Netflix, the Netflix Party extension for Chrome works ridiculously well.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Baron von Eevl posted:

I knew a guy that did sound for him on a tour, said he was a good boss. Would only work 3 days a week, paid well, loved to give gifts to everyone on the crew, and got everyone their own room in every city on the tour because he didn't believe two grown men should ever share a room.

Ummmmmmmmmmm...

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

therattle posted:

I was just thinking that, as Amazon is probably doing incredibly well right now

To be slightly cynical, they've probably gotten a decent cash infusion from new subscriptions and their operating costs have plummeted since they've halted all production.

Plus, when production is starting up again I bet there's gonna be a real labor shortage as people out of work either transition to other careers or move away from where these productions happen because rent isn't cheap in LA or Vancouver.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CPL593H posted:

Ummmmmmmmmmm...

Given his close relationship with Dolly Parton I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume it's more a "you're an adult with an important job, not a college freshman" kinda thing.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

There’s actually only one billionaire, and he does not save the world. (His organization’s mission statement is specifically to not save the world.)

People keep underestimating just how nuanced Bay’s films are. This one’s got the best twist since Mile 22.

Unfortunately Berg's own Netflix movie is a bit of a slog.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Two grown man can share a room. It’s fine. Both sexually and non sexually.

Don’t be weird

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Don’t be weird

I don't think there's anything wrong with it, but if my employer is willing to pay I would much, much prefer to have my own hotel room than share one.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CelticPredator posted:

Don’t be weird

They shouldn't have to. It's not weird, it's just common decency.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Power of Pecota posted:

Watch2gether is the one I remembered, and it looks like that's Youtube-only - can you use like rentals through youtube on that? Is there anything that lets you upload your own video?

fenix down posted:

Looking for the answer to this also. Watch2gether doesn't have a login option, so no rentals.

Rabbit was good back in the day because you were just sharing a browser window, and could log in to whatever.

My go-to is Cytube, which can play youtube videos and, with this handy extension, any film uploaded to google drive. Sadly, the films need to process once uploaded, which can take several hours.

The other popular option is kast, a screen-sharing app. It's got various tiers of service, and dropped frames and bitrate are serious concerns, but it's much less work than cytube.

Of course, in a pinch, you can always use twitch and hope you don't get caught. This poo poo used to be a lot easier back in the ustream/livestream days, but those sites have pivoted to exclusively serving big corporations who want to teleconference. Stay clear unless you wanna pay 1k a month.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

K. Waste posted:

Boo! Well, I'mma watch it anyways because even Battleship was worthwhile.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Skwirl posted:

To be slightly cynical, they've probably gotten a decent cash infusion from new subscriptions and their operating costs have plummeted since they've halted all production.

Plus, when production is starting up again I bet there's gonna be a real labor shortage as people out of work either transition to other careers or move away from where these productions happen because rent isn't cheap in LA or Vancouver.

Yeah, I suspect that there is a bit of a business case behind it but people like costume designers aren’t going to totally move out if the industry: where would they go? And even if there are business reasons, I don’t see Disney, WB etc doing the same.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

At the start of the year I started working on the theme for a haunted house next fall.

I had this idea about the backstory being that the building the haunt is in was built on the foundations of an medieval monastery that served as a hospital during the black death. I was going to run with it with piles of writhing corpses wrapped in blood and puss stained funeral shrouds, sinister plague doctors lunging at the guests wielding red hot pokers growling about life being a sickness, a soundscape of coughs and ragged breathing. Etc. Etc.

Then just as I was getting my presentation and lookbook ready this Covid19 flared up and I get the feeling I should go back to the drawing board.

Maybe go in the entire opposite direction and do something completely out there and cosmic.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

FreudianSlippers posted:

At the start of the year I started working on the theme for a haunted house next fall.

I had this idea about the backstory being that the building the haunt is in was built on the foundations of an medieval monastery that served as a hospital during the black death. I was going to run with it with piles of writhing corpses wrapped in blood and puss stained funeral shrouds, sinister plague doctors lunging at the guests wielding red hot pokers growling about life being a sickness, a soundscape of coughs and ragged breathing. Etc. Etc.

Then just as I was getting my presentation and lookbook ready this Covid19 flared up and I get the feeling I should go back to the drawing board.

Maybe go in the entire opposite direction and do something completely out there and cosmic.

Hell no, it’s even more appropriate now.

This might be a really terrible take.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

At the very least upload it and let us see what was to be if you do end up trashing it.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Empress Brosephine posted:

They shouldn't have to. It's not weird, it's just common decency.

Yea the basic sentiment here is “as an employer I can afford to accommodate my employees without cutting corners”, which is all we really know outside of a third hand quote. There’s a variety of pros and cons for sharing/not sharing a room as grown men beyond anything sexual, one of the unambiguously bad ones is “my employer is trying to save a buck”

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

The other popular option is kast, a screen-sharing app. It's got various tiers of service, and dropped frames and bitrate are serious concerns, but it's much less work than cytube.

Of course, in a pinch, you can always use twitch and hope you don't get caught. This poo poo used to be a lot easier back in the ustream/livestream days, but those sites have pivoted to exclusively serving big corporations who want to teleconference. Stay clear unless you wanna pay 1k a month.
Thanks, I am going to try Kast. It is not very user friendly, but it can broadcast a browser window or your entire desktop, so all streaming services and downloaded videos are fair game.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I wanted to rewatch "Joe Pera Takes You To The Grocery Store" before I went shopping today but I discovered adult swim locked it again so it requires a cable login, which I don't have. I feel like Joe's calmly positive demeanor and advice are really needed right now. But I still remembered his three rules and had a successful grocery store experience. Thank you, Joe.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
For those who frequent indie theaters and would like to support them, check and see if they have signed up with Kino Marquee. Kino Lorber is partnering with indie theaters across the country to stream the film Bacurau. You can watch it from your computer, smart app, AppleTV and Roku devices.

Theaters get 50% of ticket sales. Tickets for the showing affiliated with my indie theater is only $12, and you get a 5 day window to watch the film.

My theater says they will be getting two other films this way.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

K. Waste posted:

Ok, yeah, woof. Turns out that Spenser Confidential is basically a stealth TV pilot. It occupies this nebulous middle-ground between film and TV, because they're planning to release a bunch of these Spenser films quick-and-cheap, direct to Netflix.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Don't worry guys Icelandic scientists just developed a vaccine for

*Checks notes*

Horse eczema?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Seasonal horse eczema to be precise.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Franchescanado posted:

For those who frequent indie theaters and would like to support them, check and see if they have signed up with Kino Marquee. Kino Lorber is partnering with indie theaters across the country to stream the film Bacurau. You can watch it from your computer, smart app, AppleTV and Roku devices.

Theaters get 50% of ticket sales. Tickets for the showing affiliated with my indie theater is only $12, and you get a 5 day window to watch the film.

My theater says they will be getting two other films this way.

Everyone should watch Bacurau. It whips rear end.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Skwirl posted:

Given his close relationship with Dolly Parton I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume it's more a "you're an adult with an important job, not a college freshman" kinda thing.

I figured it was that, I was just making a funny.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Tapping into current fears is a pretty classic horror technique.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

FreudianSlippers posted:

Seasonal horse eczema to be precise.

Three cheers for Iceland!

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

therattle posted:

Three cheers for Iceland!

Neigh

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Yes I know it's low hanging fruit but I want to emphasize I don't care

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

i posted about BioShock in the games chat thread but no one bit so i'm gonna be way more abrasive about it here

Everyone who doesn't like BioShock 2 is dumb

everyone who does like BioShock Infinite is dumb

BioShock would make an amazing HBO miniseries

I love BioShock

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

DC Murderverse posted:

i posted about BioShock in the games chat thread but no one bit so i'm gonna be way more abrasive about it here

Everyone who doesn't like BioShock 2 is dumb

everyone who does like BioShock Infinite is dumb

BioShock would make an amazing HBO miniseries

I love BioShock
That take's so milquetoast I wouldn't even sell it in the Snyderthread.

You didn't even try for "Bioshock Infinite is the writer's attempt to excuse the fact that the series is founded on the abuse of children, little girls specifically"

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I enjoy all of the Bioshocks. All of them.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

FilthyImp posted:

That take's so milquetoast I wouldn't even sell it in the Snyderthread.

You didn't even try for "Bioshock Infinite is the writer's attempt to excuse the fact that the series is founded on the abuse of children, little girls specifically"

my eternal question about Infinite is "did they start with all of the wholly-up-their-own-asses quantum mechanics stuff and figure out the first two thirds from there or did all of that dumb bullshit come from someone's drug trip a year before release that everyone else was too polite to tell them was garbage?"

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Bioshick Infinite is a game I really enjoyed up until you do the first big dimension-hop in the weapons factory and it became immediately apparent that the game was going to rapidly move away from the stuff that initially hooked me.

The game starts strong with what looks to be setup for an engaging narrative and then several hours later your fighting a ghost in a blatant attempt by the developers to pad out the total playtime.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

in my looking for an answer to my question, i learned that apparently Aisha Tyler was originally going to be the voice of Daisy Fitzroy, and she recorded almost an hour of dialogue before getting passed on, which proves that at the very least, they suffer from some very bad taste.

edit: i'd like to think she passed after realizing exactly what happens to that character during the game but I think that was a fairly late decision. I remember the very passionate arguments from people who didn't think it was really really racist and I'm glad that the general consensus about Infinite did not side with those people. None of the characters in any Bioshock game are very deep but when you want to talk about race and American Exceptionalism you'd better follow through with something that isn't deeply stupid and insensitive.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 22, 2020

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

DC Murderverse posted:

in my looking for an answer to my question, i learned that apparently Aisha Tyler was originally going to be the voice of Daisy Fitzroy, and she recorded almost an hour of dialogue before getting passed on, which proves that at the very least, they suffer from some very bad taste.

are there any other celeb voices in Infinite? because frankly, hearing a bunch of rando VAs I don't recognize and then holy poo poo what Aisha Tyler would have been kinda jarring.

also might have been a budget thing.

e: yeah, looking it over, there's not a single celeb voice in the entire finished game, unless you count Comstock, who's a Second City guy who's been in extremely minor roles in a few movies (his second most notable IMDB thing after Infinite is a split-second role in La La Land). Aisha Tyler would've been fun, but also genuinely kinda out of place unless the rest of the cast was also different at that time.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Mar 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The reveal trailer just had psychic powers via Elizabeth. The gameplay trailer (released a month later, in Sept of 2010) had maybe a hint of that with one of the enemies doing the glitchy quantum freakout stuff and by then they were basically giving you Bioshock style superpowers.

Elizabeth could conjure a storm and could levitate stuff but no Quantum Tears in sight. Gotta assume that at some point in 2011 or 2012 it was bolted on to be more "believable". From all accounts it was a galaxy-brain take on racism and American exceptionalism at birth. (That was then walked back by Levine after the Tea Party was like "wtf bro we ain't that racist in public" and when PoC groups were like "why the gently caress does the black leader turn into a raving maniac?!")

Flying Zamboni posted:

Bioshick Infinite is a game I really enjoyed up until you do the first big dimension-hop in the weapons factory
Same. They had some really fun stuff in that first hour or two, and from what I read all the cool anachronistic music was because 1910s popular music was garbage.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Mar 22, 2020