Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The tweets embed in the browser as well and look better than just posting the link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Also the headline is the entire joke in 99% of these articles, there's really no point to reading the whole thing, as its typically like, a paragraph that just tells the headline joke again.

Orv
May 4, 2011

I'm in this picture and I don't like it.

admataY
Oct 16, 2008
Few hours into Doom Eternal , and here is my main take from it :

The use key is mapped by default to the same key as melee attack . Which means if your trying to use a switch/keyboard/anything from a slightly off angle DOOMGUY just violently punches whatever device your trying to activate .

I feel ya DOOMGUY. I feel ya .

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

admataY posted:

The use key is mapped by default to the same key as melee attack . Which means if your trying to use a switch/keyboard/anything from a slightly off angle DOOMGUY just violently punches whatever device your trying to activate .

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

admataY posted:

i like how there's an in game achievement for punching a slayer gate called "ow"

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I reinstalled Guns of Icarus Online after not playing it for a couple of years. The game is so drat fun, especially as a pilot. I yearn for a game like that where you play an airship captain and pilot airships. Ship to ship combat just like GoI but also a plot and character customizing and crew building.

Basically Skies of Arcadia in 2020.

Why are there no modern airship games? If I were to make a game, I'd make a game like that. 3rd person action combat airship game. Hnnggghh that would own.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Parkasaurus jumped into my recommendations, is it really BUILD A DINO THEME PARK SEE DINOS or are there caveats?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Artelier posted:

Parkasaurus jumped into my recommendations, is it really BUILD A DINO THEME PARK SEE DINOS or are there caveats?

It's really that. It's a RCT style management game not a Planet Coaster one. It's a little finicky but no more so than most management games, just keep in mind it's EA.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

All this global pandemic business has been very upsetting to me in many ways, and I'd like a chill multiplayer game. I'm talking like Stardew level chill, you know? Any suggestions?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Google Butt posted:

All this global pandemic business has been very upsetting to me in many ways, and I'd like a chill multiplayer game. I'm talking like Stardew level chill, you know? Any suggestions?

DEFCON.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Google Butt posted:

edit nm you said multiplayer. Um, Golf With Your Friends? I think its on sale at Fanatical still

https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/golf-with-your-friends

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Not really here nor there but I wanted to "Dear Penthouse" this one:

Steam is running a big indie game demo event and I'm trying to use it to get the wife and daughter into some new games. We tried playing Son of Ra which is an early access/demo using the Unity engine on the "new" family PC in the living room which is an old 4760K @ 4.whatever GHz with a Radeon 580. I have never heard that PC burn up fan RPMs so violently even when it was my main PC with an even older R9 390 over the last few years including playing Doom 2016. I was worried the thing was gonna start flying around the living room like some sort of demon. Dunno what the game is doing in its current state but it could be useful to warm a house.

Currently they're messing with Neon Noodles and seem to be having fun.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Orv posted:

DEFCON.

The rare answer that’s both 100 percent accurate and completely wrong at the same time.

Man, I wonder if you can still just hop on and find a game of that.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

edit nm you said multiplayer. Um, Golf With Your Friends? I think its on sale at Fanatical still

https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/golf-with-your-friends

I'll amend my statement and say it doesn't have to be multiplayer, but it'd be cool if it was.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Doom Eternal is very Bethesda-y wrt how many different stupid systems and upgrade mechanics they added to the game, BUT

it's fun as hell to play

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Google Butt posted:

I'll amend my statement and say it doesn't have to be multiplayer, but it'd be cool if it was.

Wilmot's Warehouse, Farm Sim. If non-steam answers are fine Satisfactory.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Regarding steam review scores, has anyone ever done a study to determine how accurately they reflect the opinions of everyone who's ever played a game?

For instance, let's say a game has 60% positive scores, at 10000 reviews total. 6000 positive, 4000 negative. However, of the people who enjoyed it, only 30% wrote a review, compared to the people who disliked it at 70%.

The actual numbers would be 20,000 positive and 5714 negative, or in percentages, 78% positive and 22% negative.

Could be the other way, too...

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Xander77 posted:

In Doom Eternal, the player will often enter a new combat arena to find the demons already fighting each other. I'm asking whether there's some sort of civil war in hell in the intricate lore of the Doom series. Also, whether the monsters will actually eventually kill each other if the player waits long enough before drawing their attention.

Demons just kind of beat the poo poo out of each other for fun, they won't ever kill each other during scripted infighting* but can if it happens organically while fighting you

*There's a couple instances where they will but that's when they're scripted to kill, normally they just wail on each other forever

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Xander77 posted:

In Doom Eternal, the player will often enter a new combat arena to find the demons already fighting each other. I'm asking whether there's some sort of civil war in hell in the intricate lore of the Doom series. Also, whether the monsters will actually eventually kill each other if the player waits long enough before drawing their attention.

I've only seen actual kills when one of them hits an exploding barrel.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Google Butt posted:

Plague Inc and try to be better than Covid 19.

or

Pandemic and try to be the one to stop it.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Ambaire posted:

Regarding steam review scores, has anyone ever done a study to determine how accurately they reflect the opinions of everyone who's ever played a game?

For instance, let's say a game has 60% positive scores, at 10000 reviews total. 6000 positive, 4000 negative. However, of the people who enjoyed it, only 30% wrote a review, compared to the people who disliked it at 70%.

The actual numbers would be 20,000 positive and 5714 negative, or in percentages, 78% positive and 22% negative.

How would you even begin to measure the enjoyment of people who didn't leave a review?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

You track them down and force them to confess.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Ambaire posted:

Not only would this be hugely cumbersome to do, it would also not be all that interesting. For most games the difference is probably not very big. If you had the resources to do such a thing it'd be much more interesting to get a big sample of people who do not have the game, have them play it, and ask for their thoughts. Review scores as a descriptive tool aren't nearly as interesting a question as review scores as a predictive tool because the self selection bias in choosing to buy a game is much stronger than the self selection bias in choosing to review it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Google Butt posted:

Stardew Valley has multiplayer.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

The Chad Jihad posted:

Demons just kind of beat the poo poo out of each other for fun, they won't ever kill each other during scripted infighting* but can if it happens organically while fighting you

*There's a couple instances where they will but that's when they're scripted to kill, normally they just wail on each other forever
Thanks.

Edit - that's terribly disappointing. I get that this would encourage some players to wait around until the demons take each other out, but that's why you design a combat system that rewards you for fighting enemies (in terms of in-game benefits or "fun").

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Mar 22, 2020

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Google Butt posted:

Depending how you play, TheHunter: Call of the Wild is extremely chill and you can play with friends. Or when I play it, walk around for hours going 'ooh look that's pretty' and occasionally think about shooting an animal, maybe. With friends.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
DooM Eternal is a real mixed bag. The new tools are fun, but on the other hand you have complete bullshit like The Marauders. The name of the game is Rip and Tear, not have an enemy you have to fight on their terms like a goddamn action-RPG. They're literally the antithesis of everything that makes DOOM good with an instant shield that will no-sell anything you throw at them so you HAVE to play by their rules. It's not even hard to fix, just change the shield to a regular old Plasma one that can be (eventually) cooked off them.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Fabulousity posted:

Currently they're messing with Neon Noodles and seem to be having fun.

Neon Noodles...?

...NEON NOODLES!!

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

John Murdoch posted:

Neon Noodles...?

...NEON NOODLES!!

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
I love that they straight up call their genre a "zach-like."

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Family Sharing question.

So a buddy of mine, and his kids, are bored out of their skull these days, and I offered to try and set up Family Sharing to let them play some LEGO games and whatever else they fancy.

Is there any way to to grant access without me either having to remote login to his laptop, or giving him my Steam credentials and do the whole Steam Guard code dance over the phone?

If we are doing remote logon, any software that are easy to use, especially for him?
They are using Win 10 Home, and I have Win 10 Pro.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I did the same thing for my sister and as far as I know, no, they have to log in with your account and give permission for it to be used in that machine. They also are unable to start anything if you already are playing a game too.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Samuringa posted:

I did the same thing for my sister and as far as I know, no, they have to log in with your account and give permission for it to be used in that machine. They also are unable to start anything if you already are playing a game too.

You can just set yourself to offline mode if you're not doing something MP so people can freely play from your family sharing.

Also the person using the family sharing can just disconnect their computer from the internet to continue playing a game, as long as they do that before the owner of the game boots up anything.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Eat at Joe's

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Does Humble ever give out keys for Humble Originals they include in Monthlies?

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
I played through Eliza it's a good VN about dystopian tech life in Seattle. Pretty depressing but the voice acting was good. Multiple endings too.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Fart of Presto posted:

Family Sharing question.

So a buddy of mine, and his kids, are bored out of their skull these days, and I offered to try and set up Family Sharing to let them play some LEGO games and whatever else they fancy.

Is there any way to to grant access without me either having to remote login to his laptop, or giving him my Steam credentials and do the whole Steam Guard code dance over the phone?

If we are doing remote logon, any software that are easy to use, especially for him?
They are using Win 10 Home, and I have Win 10 Pro.
Yes, you absolutely do have to log in to their local Steam client at least once to turn on family sharing for that device, no way around it. It's an intentional restriction to keep people from just sharing libraries back and forth on the internet instead of, y'know, actually buying games.

If you want to try just doing it remotely, I recommend getting Teamviewer. It's free for private use and about as complicated as setting up a Skype call.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Sininu posted:

Does Humble ever give out keys for Humble Originals they include in Monthlies?

Yeah. It's usually not right away and you won't get an alert about it or anything, but generally if the game launches on Steam you'll eventually get a key for it in your Humble key list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

err posted:

I played through Eliza it's a good VN about dystopian tech life in Seattle. Pretty depressing but the voice acting was good. Multiple endings too.

I played through Eliza in one go at the start of this year and it was very good, and very depressing. Really well-written dialogue and characters. Feels especially relevant now that so many therapists are moving their services online in response to COVID-19.