Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

caligulamprey posted:

This book from 1979 about Ouija Boards is all I need right now.

Well drat now I know exactly what I’m doing once social distancing is over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Gonna be a whole lot of new ghosts around to talk to :I

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

A movie that really leans into that and is all about the regular mundane day-to-day of an action hero archetype would be interesting. I feel like you could go a number of ways with that concept, though comedy seems obvious.

The best scene in Last Action Hero is when Jack Slater goes back into his lovely apartment and instantly shoots the wardrobe because there is always an assassin lurking there, and then he has a meltdown over how everything about his job seems to become harder all the time. It would have been pretty easy to make the movie very grim from then on, and I'd say the following ridiculousness is an attempt to compensate for the existential terror Jack Slater should and probably does feel.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I'm all for occult hot-tub parties, but I hope social distancing is here to stay even after the virus is long gone.

Like, do you remember what was normal in 2019? A return to normalcy is a very bad outcome. Meanwhile, right now, the World Health Organization is kicking rear end with this global expression of solidarity. What we need is to keep going in this direction, with similar initiatives targeting greenhouse gas emissions - and then on from there.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The problem here is that Spencer is a noir detective archetype, not much of an action hero archetype. So it's not particularly incongruous seeing him in diners and such. That, and the film is already listed as part-comedy - but there are no real jokes outside of a general 'quirkiness'.

Of course, that's still a loose description of Pulp Fiction.

Well, yeah, obviously Spenser Confidential isn't really itself applicable; that part of K. Waste's analysis just got the gears cranking in my head, so to speak.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

I'm all for occult hot-tub parties, but I hope social distancing is here to stay even after the virus is long gone.

Like, do you remember what was normal in 2019? A return to normalcy is a very bad outcome. Meanwhile, right now, the World Health Organization is kicking rear end with this global expression of solidarity. What we need is to keep going in this direction, with similar initiatives targeting greenhouse gas emissions - and then on from there.

Hell yeah baby.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Also, while I'm not against social distancing staying around to some extent, if it keeps looking like it does now, then being alive for that sounds kinda poo poo. There needs to be a middle ground of some kind between "everyone stays inside their house except when strictly necessary, nobody interacts without a minimum of 6 feet of physical space ever, public activities are illegal" and "EVERYBODY GO OUTSIDE AND COUGH ON EACH OTHER, LET'S HAVE A VIRUS PARTY."

e: Like, it's not just the economic impact of this that makes doing it for 18 months untenable; making, essentially, hikikomori behavior the new normal (or actively required) is going to completely obliterate the mental health of most people.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 23, 2020

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Downloading Doom Eternal. Haven’t played games in years and yet....it is time

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Also, while I'm not against social distancing staying around to some extent, if it keeps looking like it does now, then being alive for that sounds kinda poo poo. There needs to be a middle ground of some kind between "everyone stays inside their house except when strictly necessary, nobody interacts without a minimum of 6 feet of physical space ever, public activities are illegal" and "EVERYBODY GO OUTSIDE AND COUGH ON EACH OTHER, LET'S HAVE A VIRUS PARTY."

e: Like, it's not just the economic impact of this that makes doing it for 18 months untenable; making, essentially, hikikomori behavior the new normal (or actively required) is going to completely obliterate the mental health of most people.

Moving to a mass telework model at the least would cut way the gently caress down on emissions, and this pandemic is really making employers show their rear end on how they've insisted it's not possible for decades.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

The economic crisis was looming long before this.

What we have now is a far more powerful solution, just in the basic sense that we have this obvious need for massive changes in the organization of society. To put it straightforwardly: the harsher social distancing measures taken for COVID-19 exist to prevent existing feeble healthcare systems from being overwhelmed. The goal after this will be to improve/replace those systems so that, next time, these harsher measures will be less necessary. And what do you know, here are a bunch of unemployed people ready to work on the necessary infrastructure.

A while back, social justice twitter got Starbucks to shut down for an hour in North America. It was a PR thing. Nobody cared. Social distancing has got Starbucks declared 'inessential' and shut down internationally, into the indefinite future. That's cool.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
That... seems almost like you're deliberately refusing to address my point. Like, that has less than nothing to do with what I said.

But then again, highly advanced chatbot, shouldn't be surprised.

E: to put it as bluntly and simply as possible, if this continues, suicide rates are going to loving skyrocket, because humans are inherently social animals and removing us from social settings fucks us up bad. If people, broadly speaking, get told that social interactions are now on a spectrum of "strongly discouraged" to "outright illegal," and that this is not just a temporary response to a crisis, but the way they are now expected to live permanently, there's gonna be a large percentage of folks who just go "welp" and blow their brains out.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 23, 2020

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
What he's getting at is our whole economy can see upheaval to a point where instead of focusing on generating wealth for those higher on the economic ladder we can instead focus on what is needed for society to really thrive - healthcare, the food supply, education, etc.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/chandIermonica/status/1241498674468978693?s=20

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Joe "Fotoplayer Joe" Rinaldo had a live Facebook concert earlier today
https://www.facebook.com/FotoplayerJoe/videos/2511452775850023/

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

I actually just made the :stare: face.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

FreudianSlippers posted:

I am reading The Spirit a book that is primarily about a Sasquatch ripping people's heads off but because it's from the 70s it's also about the scars left on the American psyche by the Vietnam War and also racism.

That rules, I recently wrote a song about sasquatch (but like the psychic alien kind) traveling into the astral realm to send a fatal psionic pulse to Donald Trump, like in a Scanners sort of way.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

CPL593H posted:

I actually just made the :stare: face.

When was this made? Why does he look like a linebacker in his mid-40s instead of an old, fat, balding man?

This reminds me of those weird pro-Trump political cartoons where they have to make him look strong instead of drawing him accurately.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Guy A. Person posted:

When was this made? Why does he look like a linebacker in his mid-40s instead of an old, fat, balding man?

This reminds me of those weird pro-Trump political cartoons where they have to make him look strong instead of drawing him accurately.

At least with those cartoons, they at least get the caricature part right - it's just filtered through this perverse, psychosexual idolatry.

Here, it's literally impossible to fathom any likeness between harvey weinstein and this character, who literally looks like he's supposed to be a bad boy of R&B or some poo poo. Part of this must be deliberate, because nobody watching a "myscene" movie is going to know or give a gently caress about harvey weinstein - so he literally could be anybody. But to appreciate the sheer horror of it is to just ask the obvious, "Why would harvey weinstein play a fictional, completely distinct character named "harvey weinstein"? in a dtv Barbie spinoff movie?"

Then you find out that the film is co-produced by Miramax subsidiary "Miramax Family." Bet you didn't even know Miramax had a family dtv subsidiary stretching back to 1991.

unrelated:

Re-watched both the 56' and '78 versions of Invasion of the Body Snatchers tonight. It is absolutely uncanny how faithful both films are to the novel, beat-for-beat. The only significant difference in both cases is the ending.

Funny thing: Finney's novel takes place in the "near future" of 1976. There are no explicit allusions to any technological or contextual significance to this setting of any kind, the protagonist just matter-of-factly states twice that that's what year it is. It mostly functions in the story on a symbolic level, how it's really impossible for us as readers to distinguish between what are in fact credible experiences by the protagonist of the "pod people" letting the town go to rust, and what is just the natural entropy of a small, semi-isolated rural society. (The protagonist is only 28. He is literally a prescient boomer watching the bubble of American prosperity pop.) The thing that shocks me, even having not seen the '90s or '00s versions, is that no filmmakers seem to have gotten the idea to, like, go back to the rural setting, coupled with a completion of the cycle by setting the film in the late-'70s, in some slowly being stripped agricultural town just on the verge of the rightward swing of the '80s.

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Mar 23, 2020

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

That... seems almost like you're deliberately refusing to address my point. Like, that has less than nothing to do with what I said.

I do get your point - but "social" isn't limited to being in close contact with lots of other people. The double-meaning of 'social distancing' is that keeping a respectable distance is just about the most social thing you can do right now. Those people facing real hardship by staying home are heroes.

And yeah, it sucks, but COVID-19 being a source of mental health issues is just another thing to throw under the umbrella of desperately needed universal healthcare.

One thing I haven't really seen being spoken about is that the same practices now being used to fight this particular virus are going to work on all manner of other diseases. So, while the lesson is obviously not quarantine forever!!!, people might just start washing their hands after taking a piss. On a broader scale, that means public sanitization will hopefully become a thing on the level of public sanitation. I'm picturing just pristine public washrooms.

(Of course, I'm also happy to be going through my massive backlog of unwatched films because why the hell has no-one been talking about The Unthinkable? People with Netflix, please watch The Unthinkable. It's possibly a perfect film.)

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Yeah as someone who has a long line of people who blew their brains out, can we not have panic screeds about how staying at home to keep people from getting sick is gonna lead to mass suicide lol.

I would argue that certain Americans with enough time to think about it, in particular, are having a conniption that they can’t shopping mall this one away like always.

A huge number of people’s go-to coping method just doesn’t work here (which outside of shopping, includes going outside and socializing, exercise, etc). Which was to distract themselves. Now they gotta find a new framework. I look at members of my family for this too: a month ago they were using their surplus of “stable and rational” bandwidth to explain to the younger members of the clan why Biden is the choice for people who aren’t “rooting their politics in emotion” and these same people found time to complain about neighbors yards having weeds, while golfing and going drinking and now that’s all stopped, guess who seems like hollowed out husks of bitterness? Guess who has the least number of years left? and is at the highest risk for not surviving this? and is also using that time to call me 5 times a day because they have had multiple blow-up arguments about buying a small freezer.

Any semblance they had to a routine post-retirement is gone now, and that’s fine because they never acted like people who actually had it together anyway, somehow they had the lucky pieces of appearance fall together at some point. And, slowly, in the most haranguing way possible, they are adapting to these changes and I think it will be good for what time they have left regardless.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
All of us shut-in nerds made jokes about how we've prepared for this day, but gently caress I have managed to accomplish a whole lotta nothing in the past week, and while I feel bad about that it is not the same bad as everyone scrambling around for something to do and occupy their time.

I was already broken.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I'm about ten pages behind but uh I'm learning Garageband so I made this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9PfLLgieYQ

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

I have finally begun to use my criterion channel sub as it should be used, and it only took me most of the first year lol

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Coffee And Pie posted:

I'm about ten pages behind but uh I'm learning Garageband so I made this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9PfLLgieYQ

I like your beep boops, but the song needs more clips of that guy saying "FACK YOO!".

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Discount Viscount posted:

All of us shut-in nerds made jokes about how we've prepared for this day, but gently caress I have managed to accomplish a whole lotta nothing in the past week, and while I feel bad about that it is not the same bad as everyone scrambling around for something to do and occupy their time.
I've probably got 2 - 4 home improvement projects in mind. Probably start with a cheap vanity replacement and finally getting the 20+ years of paint off of the banister + sanding it down. Then if we get our Trumpbucks, maybe getting around to fixing the squeaky floors in the baby's room.

My wife went bugnuts cleaning things to cope with stress last week and I think the plan is one section of a room per day

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

people might just start washing their hands after taking a piss.

Isn't..that something that people already do?:ohdear:

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
the epidemics list is great, but i have had a hankering for something more on the cultural/social end of the effects of this virus. it's 2 am and i put about 5-10 minutes into this, so im sure you all have better ideas, but here's my coronavirus mood board.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Alhazred posted:

Hahahahahaha

No.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Dutch are basically animals

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Alhazred posted:

According to my informal public bathroom survey, like half of all men are just super gross. Sorry to break it to ya.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

FreudianSlippers posted:

drat, that's a lot of liars.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
Surprising number of countries here that don't have toilets at all.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Shanty posted:

Surprising number of countries here that don't have toilets at all.

Or hands. Maybe they don't have hands.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I dreamt that there was a Japanese live action Garfield movie called Special Garfield. Garfield's owner was an overworked and underappreciated female office worker who had a tape deck in her car and kept a big box full of tapes on the passenger seat. Garfield was just an ordinary cat who didn't do much other than eat and sleep, but for some reason was still done in CGI, and his design was an upsetting uncanny valley midpoint between the cartoon Garfield design and a real cat.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

FreudianSlippers posted:

In Austria, they teach you to wash your hands after pissing.

In Germany, they teach you not to piss on your hands.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

FreudianSlippers posted:

When the person doing the questionnaire come up to us and asked, we responded with “maybe we do, maybe we don’t :colbert:” and that’s perfectly reflected in the outcome.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

Well, I am certainly very disappointed on behalf of Scandinavia.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Do you miss Fantasy Sports Leagues? Do you like horror movies? Do you like arguing about franchises? Do you like showdowns?

Then you should be participating in the :spooky: Horror Bracketology thread :spooky: and help determine what's the greatest horror franchise of all time.

Voting has begun now. First showdown is Jurassic Park franchise vs. the Psycho franchise.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

CPL593H posted:

I like your beep boops, but the song needs more clips of that guy saying "FACK YOO!".

Best I can do, get out of here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iW1Nff6jgjo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Reminder, my giveaway thread ends in a week! it's easy to join and has a fabulous prize!