Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I want to play now with a couple of friends while we're self-isolating...

The DLC subscription thing would actually be perfect for us right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

ilitarist posted:

You can't play Paradox games while the next expansion is in the works anyway. It's the law.

So, never? :haw:

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
You can play Crusader Kings 2 now.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

fuf posted:

I want to play now with a couple of friends while we're self-isolating...

The DLC subscription thing would actually be perfect for us right now.

In MP, only one person has to have the DLC for everyone to use it. No help if y'all all have the same DLCs but otherwise, it's nice.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Yeah that helps. It's still an expensive prospect though, even just for one person and even if they've already got a few DLC!

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
why can't I see my friend's game in the multiplayer list? :(

my other friend can see it

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Paradox's MP code is 25% broken all the time, just in different ways across the games. Joining through Steam should work.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

ilitarist posted:

You can play Crusader Kings 2 now.

Nah, waiting for CK3.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Someone in earlier in the thread mentioned turning The Knights into a Pirate Republic. What would be the easiest way to go about doing that? I know you have to somehow get them to not be a Theocracy to make it possible.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I've tried Taungu like three times and I think I hate OPM starts now.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Ethiser posted:

Someone in earlier in the thread mentioned turning The Knights into a Pirate Republic. What would be the easiest way to go about doing that? I know you have to somehow get them to not be a Theocracy to make it possible.

Honestly the Knights should just start as a Pirate Republic Theocracy, that's more or less what they were by 1444.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Ethiser posted:

Someone in earlier in the thread mentioned turning The Knights into a Pirate Republic.

If you do this you should also culture shift to a Scandinavian culture, that way you're pirates, vikings, and knights

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple

Wafflecopper posted:

If you do this you should also culture shift to a Scandinavian culture, that way you're pirates, vikings, and knights

Needs ninjas in there somewhere.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Religiously convert to Shinto, done.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

Needs ninjas in there somewhere.

:wrong:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirates,_Vikings_and_Knights_II

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
So I've never been Netherlands before. I started as Holland, was able to get France and England to support independence day one, Surrender of Maine happened peacefully... And Burgundy just abandoned the PU. I didn't realize the AI was smart enough to see what was about to happen.

Mission accomplished, but I'm way worse off than I would've been stomping Burgundy in the initial war and keeping France as an ally. Now my only ally options are Dithmarschen and... Burgundy :(

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
couple of random questions after our MP session:

How do captured ships get distributed? we had all three players in naval battles, and the same player would get all the captured ships every time. He wasn't the war leader, he didn't have the best admiral, he didn't initiate the battles... we couldn't figure out any logic to it but any captured ships would just always go to him.

How come you can't sell provinces when you're in a deficit and have loans? Historically that seems like the one time a nation would want to sell provinces!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

people barely understand the most basic parts of ship combat to begin with

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

oddium posted:

people barely understand the most basic parts of ship combat to begin with

I've played 239 hours and I don't even know where to begin with the naval portion of this game,

all I've got is that Galleys are good in Seas while Heavies are good in Oceans and i'm not even sure if thats 100% true

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
That's a basic rule of thumb to follow. Another is that you only have a 25 combat width available to each side, which doesn't change through miltech but through admiral maneuver, ideas and the tile being a coastal sea. One side can be wider than the other too! Heavies take up 3 of those slots while other ships take up 1, but fortunately carry enough cannons to be more than 3 times the number on others.

Oh, and if a ship in combat drops to 0 morale while they are engaged, they stop dealing damage entirely. So while the wiki would tell you to lump up your navy into one deathball and fight, your best bet are split fleets somewhat larger than your combat width, baiting a fight and then feeding in one after the other, like you do for max width armies in the 1750s+.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

fuf posted:

couple of random questions after our MP session:

How do captured ships get distributed? we had all three players in naval battles, and the same player would get all the captured ships every time. He wasn't the war leader, he didn't have the best admiral, he didn't initiate the battles... we couldn't figure out any logic to it but any captured ships would just always go to him.

How come you can't sell provinces when you're in a deficit and have loans? Historically that seems like the one time a nation would want to sell provinces!

It's probably the first tag alphabetically or something like that. Or maybe the first player to join the multiplayer session.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm trying to get back into this after the dozens of patches, expansions, and general changes over the past few years. I picked Portugal a few times since I felt like focusing on trade and colonization, but I keep getting destroyed by Morocco sooner or later, even when I give back Ceuta right at the start. Playing on Normal, no Lucky Nations.

I give up as Portugal. I'm just not a good enough player despite all the hours I've sunk into this game. Do you guys have tips for a chill country to play as? Maybe I should just pick Castile and try to stay on good terms with France.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
I think Muscowy is a good chill but not too chill country. It has a nice difficulty curve: you have clear goals in the beginning and you almost inevitably become a great power with a limited focus. Hordes to the East will become a nice path to expansion and you'll mostly decide yourself how much are you going to be involved in European politics. There are some possible problems. Novogorod may stumble into some good early alliances, Ottomans may be too successful and get deep into Crimea, Lithuania and steppes. Institutions will take a long time to get to you but in mid-game you'll probably ignore Europeans and expand into Asia so it's not as bad as it looks.

There's Third Rome DLC adding some mechanics and flavour but really Russia has a lot of it from the beginning so it's really optional. It may be easier to grab some achievements with it (like expanding to the Pacific Ocean before 1600) but you aren't playing for achievements, aren't you.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Ottomans are the ultimate chill country to play as since you can't really go wrong in the first few hundred years.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Fellblade posted:

Ottomans are the ultimate chill country to play as since you can't really go wrong in the first few hundred years.

Well, an inexperienced player might go mad with power and get coalitioned into the dust if they don't manage their AE well

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Wafflecopper posted:

Well, an inexperienced player might go mad with power and get coalitioned into the dust if they don't manage their AE well

This is what happens to me way too often when I play France and get all of the non-Calis stuff in the first war with England and then try to get Provence and Brittany too fast afterwards and move into Savoy.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I'm just so gosh darn excited to get some more flavour pumped into the Pope and German countries next DLC, guys. :allears:

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

D I T
H M A
R S H E N

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Already got that cheevo, I'm afraid. Dithmarschen is DEADMARSCHEN to me!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

THE BAR posted:

I'm just so gosh darn excited to get some more flavour pumped into the Pope and German countries next DLC, guys. :allears:

Yeah these last few dev diaries have been very lame. Just release the fix for armies marching around the world god damnit.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PittTheElder posted:

Just release the fix for armies marching around the world god damnit.
Not emptyquoting.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I settled on Spain to ease my way back into things. Only way I can lose is if I piss off France, which unfortunately is a real possibility since they're my rivals.

If I form Spain, will I automatically lose the Castilian bonuses? They're pretty good.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Mar 28, 2020

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

I settled on Spain to easy my way back into things. Only way I can lose is if I piss off France, which unfortunately is a real possibility since they're my rivals.

If I form Spain, will I automatically lose the Castilian bonuses? They're pretty good.

Your national ideas? You get to choose between your old ideas and missions when forming a new nation.

E:

In Spain's case, they just add a few new missions to the Castilian set.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Mar 27, 2020

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I might form Spain and keep the Castilian traditions, then. I'm just a bit wary of getting rid of my Aragonese vassal since I'm pretty sure the AI is militarily more competent than I am, and my total army size would decrease.

You guys have any military tips? I think that's my weak point, I don't understand a thing about how the fighting in this game works. I remember the best stack composition being e.g. 10/5/10?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Phlegmish posted:

I might form Spain and keep the Castilian traditions, then. I'm just a bit wary of getting rid of my Aragonese vassal since I'm pretty sure the AI is militarily more competent than I am, and my total army size would decrease.

You guys have any military tips? I think that's my weak point, I don't understand a thing about how the fighting in this game works. I remember the best stack composition being e.g. 10/5/10?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1ITH6oNHsIlVHo2LJnR92wP5LEKiON0k2rZJ82YbYaB0/htmlview#gid=0

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Thanks! The cavalry is a much lower percentage than I expected.

So at tech level 16, the most effective stack is 32/4/30? That's obviously more than any province's supply limit at that point in the game. Should I keep two 16/2/15 stacks in adjacent provinces and then feed them into the same battle?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Phlegmish posted:

Thanks! The cavalry is a much lower percentage than I expected.

So at tech level 16, the most effective stack is 32/4/30? That's obviously more than any province's supply limit at that point in the game. Should I keep two 16/2/15 stacks in adjacent provinces and then feed them into the same battle?

Yeah, split em up as needed, really only need the whole army to fight other similar armies.

e: Cav isn't all that useful, cost way to much for what you get out of em, you could probably skip them and not miss out on much

Azhais fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Mar 27, 2020

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

You can release them as a vassal after forming Spain, I'm pretty sure?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Azhais posted:

Yeah, split em up as needed, really only need the whole army to fight other similar armies.

e: Cav isn't all that useful, cost way to much for what you get out of em, you could probably skip them and not miss out on much

Cav are useful early game for doing more damage compared to an equivalent amount of infantry but that requires you to be hitting your force limit without hitting your ducat limit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I don't suppose anyone knows if there is a drawback to changing culture as Russia? Will it break the tsardom or any missions?