Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
New Mexico and Oregon have joined the club and are shutting down non-essential businesses.

Also, Florida will impose self-quarantine on travelers arriving from certain high-risk states. (Bet we're gonna see more of this, too.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

Ice Phisherman posted:

I cannot in good faith pretend that it's going to be okay.

I mean, after a few years, sure. And poo poo is most likely not going to completely fall completely apart even in the short term. But authoritarians create all sorts of unforced errors all on their own. Add in a real crisis and they flounder and blame others and people die for stupid, avoidable reasons.

I expect for the people that don't die, they'll be uh...Okayish. If you're white and have a job. For people targeted by racism and hate though? It's not going to be okay for them when the fascists try to discharge their anger and fear onto other people. For people without jobs and no support structure? Not okay.

I really, truly, desperately want to agree with the people who say that things are going to be okay and in the mid-term, things are probably going to be okay for certain people. But if you're old or non-white or poor or sick, that's...gently caress.

I agree that people are going to suffer and others will continue being lovely and fascist just the same as before. There's also going to be a ton of work ahead of us. Nonetheless, it's important to look at the communities supporting each other through small acts of kindness and solving problems creatively.

At least that's what I'm saying before finishing catching up on the thread for the day.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Empress Brosephine posted:

I just don't think riots have any use in this country and don't think they'll accomplish much...hell I don't think there's much that can accomplish much period anymore in the way of protest.

What do you think a riot is? It isn't a rational thing. It's a scream of rage.

I'm not talking protests. Like at all. Protests are riot adjacent, but that's all. They're very different.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 24, 2020

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Nitrousoxide posted:

I'm trying to wrap my mind around this if Trump just reopens the economy.

He didn't shut it down, so he can't reopen it.

The issue here is messaging. Republican governors are mostly only being dragged into this kicking and screaming, and it's going to be extremely bad if the messaging from the White House is that everything's fine. It's also going to be really not great if states aren't eventually all able to get onto the same page. Also it's not great if Trump continually refuses to use the powers available to the federal government to get on top of the supply chain for medical supplies.

So, yeah. States can and probably will stay locked down. It's still not good if Trump is screaming that we have to reopen the economy while lockdowns are in place.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Paradoxish posted:

He didn't shut it down, so he can't reopen it.

The issue here is messaging. Republican governors are mostly only being dragged into this kicking and screaming, and it's going to be extremely bad if the messaging from the White House is that everything's fine. It's also going to be really not great if states aren't eventually all able to get onto the same page. Also it's not great if Trump continually refuses to use the powers available to the federal government to get on top of the supply chain for medical supplies.

So, yeah. States can and probably will stay locked down. It's still not good if Trump is screaming that we have to reopen the economy while lockdowns are in place.

This is reassuring, thank you.

I'm going to dip from the thread for a bit. This is spiking my blood pressure and I feel bad for worrying everyone.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
I was raised to believe that the worst would never happen and that things would slowly get better. But i think after 2016 i realized that the worst things are very likely going to keep happening.

There may be some sort of riots, but it's not going to change anything. People like that one poster's chud roommate will be told what to believe by the media. If they fall between the cracks they will be crushed by the state. The circumstances that many of us have considered normal for most of our lives will become something only a privileged class will enjoy. This idea will be hammered into people's brains via media propaganda.

I think we're heading towards some sort of balkanization of the USA. Places that are decimated will simply be cut off from more prosperous areas in a variety of sneaky ways. Who knows, maybe the Republicans could cook up some american flavored "social credit score" system like in China. Everyone who was too poor to survive the pandemic depression but has not become a post societal marauder can afford to buy bread as long as they dont get caught at any protests or make any of the wrong kinds of comments on facebook.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Those British numbers just don't make sense to me.
How are there 6726 cases with 336 deaths? That's a 5% mortality rate. Even more if you account for the fact that the deaths are delayed and the numbers are growing.
In contrast, apparently, Germany has 29056 infected with 123 deaths.
That rounds to 0.4%.

What causes this massive discrepancy? I know that German hospitals are well equipped and have way more capacity, but the British healthcare isn't atrociously bad.
Is Britain underdiagnosed by a factor of ten?

Of course, due to the fact that Italy is completely overwhelmed those numbers are even worse with a ratio of close to 10%

So how come Germany seems relatively fine, with regards to the mortality rate? Do you think there are just a lot of people who coincidentally died from "unrelated" pneumonia lately? "No need to test them."

It feels like Germany is some kind of global outlier.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

bowser posted:

Rich people are gonna hoard this drug and kill a lot of poor people in the process.

I love the physician they interview in the chloroquine article who is surprised that pharmacies are out of it while simultaneously prescribing it to all his patients for coronavirus prevention/treatment with no actual proof of efficacy.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

cant cook creole bream posted:

How are there 6726 cases with 336 deaths? That's a 5% mortality rate. Even more if you account for the fact that the deaths are delayed and the numbers are growing.
That rounds to 0.4%.

What causes this massive discrepancy? I know that German hospitals are well equipped and have way more capacity, but the British healthcare isn't atrociously bad.

Of course, due to the fact that Italy is completely overwhelmed those numbers are even worse with a ratio of close to 10%

So how come Germany seems relatively fine, with regards to the mortality rate? Do you think there are just a lot of people who coincidentally died from "unrelated" pneumonia lately? "No need to test them."

UK isnt doing much testing, so there are probably a lot infected of people with no/mild/moderate symptoms sitting at home who are not showing up in the official stats

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Just to clear I'm not mad at you IP but I want to clear up some common/ahistorical misconceptions about Asian-American wealth/education/etc. This is also kind of a sore spot for me because I'm Asian and grew up in section 8 housing and eating free/reduced lunch, my parents never graduated high school and work the sort of jobs that don't give them health insurance (and Texas didn't take the expansion, so, yeah that's great) and I'm not rare, not at all.

Ice Phisherman posted:

+1

Asian Americans tend to be far more educated and wealthy than your average American. Not all of course, but if Asian Americans started getting harassed, many could literally leave America for a functioning country, taking their wealth with them and creating brain drain in the process. They also tend to vote slightly in favor of the republican party (depends on where, but still) and make up just under 7% of the population.
https://www.apiavote.org/research/2018-asian-american-voter-survey and https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/vietnamese-americans-are-no-longer-a-lock-for-the-republican-party/

There's been a huge swing to Dems among the leaning-Republican Asian ethnic groups (the remainder already were Dem-leaning). And anecdotally (I'm Vietnamese-American), the swing towards being lefty has more to do with older Asians dying off, no need to convince young Asians to not vote GOP lol

Like here: https://www.cnn.com/election/2018/exit-polls in 2018, more Asians than Latinos voted Dem. That's an insane swing. (also, eternally, lmao white people)

quote:

They're a large, well monied, well educated racial minority in the United States and they won't be persecuted as easily as Muslims were.
Just gonna drop these here because people ignoring southeast Asians and Pacific Islanders irks me: http://aapidata.com/blog/aapi-struggles-2019/ and https://equitablegrowth.org/how-data-disaggregation-matters-for-asian-americans-and-pacific-islanders/

quote:

Muslims used to vote 50/50% democrat/republican and now vote 90/10%. If Asian Americans flip in the same way, the republicans are no longer a viable party in many states and will have to work/cheat harder to win. And while many of these states are democratic strongholds, not all of them are. This will also cause many of them to radicalize and embrace left wing politics as well, bulking out the still growing numbers of the left.
Again just want to emphasize that Asians have been leaning left for a good while and young Asians are only getting more left. The lack of Asian influence on states has more to do with lack of citizenship and lack of English proficiency. We just don't vote. :( Lowest voter turn out of any racial group.

quote:

Most Asian people considered themselves a model minority and the whiplash that fascism is going to do to that belief is going to hurt. The persecution of Asian Americans is a massive fuckup for the republican party.
idk there's always been a sense around me that "model minority" applies only to East Asians. It certainly doesn't apply to South Asians (cf. all the South Asians who are mistaken for Middle Eastern by idiots) and southeast Asians and Pacific Islanders get to kinda-sorta be model minorities (for now) on the basis of the rest of America not being able to tell the difference

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

That rounds to 0.4%.

Testing is incomplete, deaths are incomplete but less so.

Hospitals overwhelmed = far more people die. We know this. Otherwise, we're not going to get accurate fatality stats till the worst is a good bit past us so there's no need to dwell on it.

For that specific stat then yes, almost certainly the UK is vastly undertested.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nickmeister posted:

I was raised to believe that the worst would never happen and that things would slowly get better. But i think after 2016 i realized that the worst things are very likely going to keep happening.

There may be some sort of riots, but it's not going to change anything. People like that one poster's chud roommate will be told what to believe by the media. If they fall between the cracks they will be crushed by the state. The circumstances that many of us have considered normal for most of our lives will become something only a privileged class will enjoy. This idea will be hammered into people's brains via media propaganda.

I think we're heading towards some sort of balkanization of the USA. Places that are decimated will simply be cut off from more prosperous areas in a variety of sneaky ways. Who knows, maybe the Republicans could cook up some american flavored "social credit score" system like in China. Everyone who was too poor to survive the pandemic depression but has not become a post societal marauder can afford to buy bread as long as they dont get caught at any protests or make any of the wrong kinds of comments on facebook.

I think this is the way it is going to go; riots and protests are a moot point in the modern era. They ultimately don't solve anything in modern America or really anywhere because of the advances in technology and the ability of people to just ignore it.

But I don't have a solution to that problem. I don't know how you effectively change things in america anymore. It's a capitalists game and we're just along for the ride.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

That rounds to 0.4%.

It's impossible to get tested in the UK if you're not a footballer or related to a politician.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

This is excellent food for thought and I'll take a look at this, do some research and adjust my views accordingly. Thank you for correcting me.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

That rounds to 0.4%.

Singapore currently has more cases of Covid19 directly imported from the UK than they have directly imported from China. I wouldn't be surprised if they are about 5x underdiagnosed right now.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Small White Dragon posted:

Also, Florida will impose self-quarantine on travelers arriving from certain high-risk states. (Bet we're gonna see more of this, too.)

hahahah the idea of the average American self quarantining, and not just saying they will and immediately touching every surface at the 7-11

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I have so much pent up rage I would love to loving brawl with someone harassing an Asian. Remember, it’s morally right to kill Nazis and anyone harassing Asians right now is a Nazi.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dude you don’t need to brawl with anybody - chill. Do we get up in their face though and call them out on their poo poo. Most are pussies and won’t escalate

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Do we have numbers yet on the percentage of people who recover but suffer long-term serious damage to lung tissue?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Slowpoke! posted:

Do we have numbers yet on the percentage of people who recover but suffer long-term serious damage to lung tissue?

I dunno. Has the term been long yet?

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

That rounds to 0.4%.

As far as I understand it Germany had 1500 cases 2 weeks ago, and ramped up testing early. So quite likely a mix of more testing finding more low severity cases (also as the numbers went up testing got more restricted), and the deaths lagging behind. Italy had 10k cases 2 weeks ago, and had already given up on testing low risk people, instead just sending them into quarantine, and ran out of intensive care beds. The UK probably is significantly underestimating the number of cases, it started spreading there at a similar time to Europe.

The state I live in (NRW) has reported 8k cases total, >400 cases requiring hospitalization, >150 cases in intensive care. So I wouldn't be surprised to see the death toll hit 1k in two weeks. The good news is flu deaths are way way way down due to extensive vaccination programs, under 500 if I recall correctly.

I'm cautiously optimistic that the numbers will start to stabilize in most of the EU over the next week because of the strict measures being enforced. UK finally followed suite, so that will take longer. It will still suck for the next month or two but then things can start getting reopened, stuff like 250k people watching football in a stadium probably will still be banned but you can at least go out to BBQ with a couple of friends. And once it stabilizes there will hopefully be more cross border cooperation, which is an important gesture at times like this and should further reduce fatalities.

The US though? That's gonna get rough.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Small White Dragon posted:

New Mexico and Oregon have joined the club and are shutting down non-essential businesses.

Governor Inslee in Washington state has a presser scheduled for 5:30pm pacific time and everyone expects him to announce shelter in place too (he has been dragging his feet waiting for Boeing to voluntarily close, and they announced they're closing Wednesday).

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Slowpoke! posted:

Lungs are remarkably resilient. If they can heal themselves after someone quits smoking for a few years, they can probably stitch themselves back together reasonably well after this does a number on them.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Is there a transcript of Trump's latest bumbling conference? Hell if I'm going to listen to him anymore.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Lungs are remarkably resilient. If they can heal themselves after someone quits smoking for a few years, they can probably stitch themselves back together reasonably well after this does a number on them.

I've seen reports of lots of scar tissue growing in the lungs in bad cases, which has a significant impact.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

golden bubble posted:

Singapore currently has more cases of Covid19 directly imported from the UK than they have directly imported from China. I wouldn't be surprised if they are about 5x underdiagnosed right now.

The thing is, the numbers in most European countries reflect Britain's way more than Germany's.
Is everyone except Germany undertesting by a lot? It actually does feel like there are far to few tests in Germany still, because the official requirement for a test is that you had contact to an infected person, or recently went to a high risk region (those are hopelessly outdated.)

Another weird thing about the German numbers is that the recovery rate appears ridiculously low. But that's mainly because we have long quarantines and no obligation to announce recoveries to any authorities.

Basically, the German numbers look like people would catch the virus and never let go of it, because they don't die and don't heal.

Ika posted:

The state I live in (NRW) has reported 8k cases total, >400 cases requiring hospitalization, >150 cases in intensive care. So I wouldn't be surprised to see the death toll hit 1k in two weeks. The good news is flu deaths are way way way down due to extensive vaccination programs, under 500 if I recall correctly.

Hi, NRW buddy.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Mar 24, 2020

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

DeeplyConcerned posted:

Dude you don’t need to brawl with anybody - chill. Do we get up in their face though and call them out on their poo poo. Most are pussies and won’t escalate
don't get in their face, they might cough on you

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

LifeLynx posted:

Is there a transcript of Trump's latest bumbling conference? Hell if I'm going to listen to him anymore.

I've been watching the whole thing and it can be summed up as, "You're going back to work next week, period."

Dr. Fauci was _not_ present. Dr. Birx dodged direct questions from the press about if the guidance to end social distancing in 7 days is sound medical advice.

It was a very bad and weird press conference.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Another weird thing about the German numbers is that the recovery rate appears ridiculously low. But that's mainly because we have long quarantines and no obligation to announce recoveries to any authorities.

Basically, the German numbers look like people would catch the virus and never let go of it, because they don't die and don't heal.

As mentioned in my other reply, 14 days ago there were only 1.2 known cases. Assuming a recovery time of two weeks there could only be 1200 healed people at most.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Sundae posted:

I dunno. Has the term been long yet?

No, but I assume you can diagnose someone with lung damage significant enough that it will cause long-term problems.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I read that the virus destroys lung tissue and that it can cause scar tissue to form. I don’t know if it is exactly a one-to-one comparison to smoking. Viruses get inside cells and cause them to pop open and die. It may cause damage in a different, harder-to-heal from way compared to smoking.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Kurzgesagt covered it well, this is a very useful video to share to skeptical people. Covid fucks up your alveoli and the lining of your lungs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtN-goy9VOY&hd=1

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Ika posted:

As mentioned in my other reply, 14 days ago there were only 1.2 known cases. Assuming a recovery time of two weeks there could only be 1200 healed people at most.

That is technically incorrect. You are assuming that all those cases just started when they were discovered. It's quite likely that a lot of cases were diagnosed when they were already 10 days in, so that they could heal within a shorter time. If someone is dignosed right now who has had the virus for weeks and is basically through, there would be no real delay between reporting the case and the recovery.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

How much you want to bet Trump is crying behind closed doors, weeping about how he only ran for President to look cool and that he doesn't want to do this anymore.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Welp, my sister in law is positive.

My hospital is preparing for the real surge in two weeks or so.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Line Feed posted:

How much you want to bet Trump is crying behind closed doors, weeping about how he only ran for President to look cool and that he doesn't want to do this anymore.

I think we got a good idea of what he's like behind closed doors in the leaks before and after that Oval Office 'chat' two weeks ago.

"Okaaaaaay..."

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

That is technically incorrect. You are assuming that all those cases just started when they were discovered. It's quite likely that a lot of cases were diagnosed when they were already 10 days in, so that they could heal within a shorter time. If someone is dignosed right now who has had the virus for weeks and is basically through, there would be no real delay between reporting the case and the recovery.

That's true. I don't know how many of those cases had symptoms vs. were just tested back when they were still tracing contacts. The number of recoveries in my area is lagging roughly 14 days behind the number of known cases. So a random nearby county had 7 cases on the 11th, and reported 6 healthy today.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Residency Evil posted:

Welp, my sister in law is positive.

My hospital is preparing for the real surge in two weeks or so.

Ugh sorry dude. You’re oncology right? I cannot imagine the anxiety right now.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

mod sassinator posted:

I've been watching the whole thing and it can be summed up as, "You're going back to work next week, period."

Dr. Fauci was _not_ present. Dr. Birx dodged direct questions from the press about if the guidance to end social distancing in 7 days is sound medical advice.

It was a very bad and weird press conference.

Again though it bears repeating: Trump is not the one who shut down what parts of the US are shut down, and he does not have the power to be the one to open them back up. He can stamp his feet and make the Federal government's official line be terrible and unhelpful, but he can't force anybody back open.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I think we got a good idea of what he's like behind closed doors in the leaks before and after that Oval Office 'chat' two weeks ago.

"Okaaaaaay..."

I'm not happy that I laughed, but what the gently caress other response can you really have at that point.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"Okaaaaaay..."

link pls missed that comedy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Ice Phisherman posted:

+1

Asian Americans tend to be far more educated and wealthy than your average American. Not all of course, but if Asian Americans started getting harassed, many could literally leave America for a functioning country, taking their wealth with them and creating brain drain in the process. They also tend to vote slightly in favor of the republican party (depends on where, but still) and make up just under 7% of the population.

They're a large, well monied, well educated racial minority in the United States and they won't be persecuted as easily as Muslims were. Muslims used to vote 50/50% democrat/republican and now vote 90/10%. If Asian Americans flip in the same way, the republicans are no longer a viable party in many states and will have to work/cheat harder to win. And while many of these states are democratic strongholds, not all of them are. This will also cause many of them to radicalize and embrace left wing politics as well, bulking out the still growing numbers of the left.

Most Asian people considered themselves a model minority and the whiplash that fascism is going to do to that belief is going to hurt. The persecution of Asian Americans is a massive fuckup for the republican party.

A substantial number of asian americans in the states will never embrace left wing politics because of how they ended up in the states