Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
DOOM ANIMAL CROSSING MARCH TWENTIETH
This poll is closed.
DOOM 39 13.36%
ANIMAL CROSSING 41 14.04%
DOOM ANIMAL CROSSING 84 28.77%
Melinda Megamelons and her gang of busty felons (Inc Bowsette) 56 19.18%
hotgirl69 72 24.66%
Total: 292 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Gripweed posted:

Yeah. Do people really hate it?

Every time I've said that Homecoming and Downpour are okay I get drowned out by laughter so I guess so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

thank you for the kind words

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

I keep missing goon islands being open

How does the switch decide when to go to sleep?

Anyway my gates are open for now, LMJF4. We have oranges

I came to visit but you were passed out on a chair and then communications ended. Did my message board post stick, at least?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Stop making me want Animal Crossing :mad:

I can't believe how great the Switch Lite is. I wonder if it would have been an even more successful console if they'd just launched it as the $200 version and kept the Game Boy lineage alive

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/MOOMANiBE/status/1242155142058627073?s=20

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
i love my lite but i have had to order a grip for it bcos although by nintendo handheld standards its extremely comfortable, for covid 19 animal crossing level playtimes it turns out its still a nintendo handheld

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

It is in top ten Twitch streamed games though! (Thank you Twitch Partners)

The first AAA spectator game

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Holy crap it's been 16 years since Half-Life 2... tempus fugit

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I wonder if Valve will eventually consider an update for Alyx makes it so a VR headset is not required. I don't know if there are gameplay mechanics that make this impossible.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Toilet Rascal
Twitch streaming a VR game seems kinda pointless

I said come in! posted:

I wonder if Valve will eventually consider an update for Alyx makes it so a VR headset is not required. I don't know if there are gameplay mechanics that make this impossible.

All the gameplay mechanics are designed for motion controllers, so this will almost certainly never happen.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Alyx seems cool but this is a difficult window to release games in this year

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

haveblue posted:

All the gameplay mechanics are designed for motion controllers, so this will almost certainly never happen.

That's fair, I can live without what is a prequel to Half-Life 2.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

haveblue posted:

Twitch streaming a VR game seems kinda pointless

you can stream a normally rendered output to make it watchable

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Stux posted:

i love my lite but i have had to order a grip for it bcos although by nintendo handheld standards its extremely comfortable, for covid 19 animal crossing level playtimes it turns out its still a nintendo handheld

I like how every Nintendo console has to have one design decision that's baffling in how terrible it is. With the Lite, it's the annoying Game Card slot

I've got pretty long fingers and extended sessions of Exit the Gungeon def make my hands cramp a bit but it's still way better than most of the 3DS models at least

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Toilet Rascal

Stux posted:

you can stream a normally rendered output to make it watchable

Well yeah but you lose the 3D aspect and a large chunk of the view angle, it just seems so compromised as to be not worth it

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I've never had an uncomfortable time with any handheld other than the psp so I think stux might just have anti-nintendo hands

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

precision posted:

I like how every Nintendo console has to have one design decision that's baffling in how terrible it is. With the Lite, it's the annoying Game Card slot

I've got pretty long fingers and extended sessions of Exit the Gungeon def make my hands cramp a bit but it's still way better than most of the 3DS models at least

ive never used the game card slot but mine is the left stick and the dpad being the wrong way around

oh yeah its one of the most comfortable handhelds nintendo have made but thats cos the others are real bad lol its still good though just a bit flat for long play sessions, vita still holds the comfort crown (as long as you dont play any game that recognises the touchpad)

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
idk ive owned every nintendo handheld, the old verticle gb models werent good, the regular gba was comfortable, the ds and the 3ds especially are specifically engineered to be uncomfortable and kid icarus on 3ds is a war crime against hands

edit: and im not saying the switch lite is uncomfortable its actually really nice but im playing a lot on it right now and thats making it become less comfortable now

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

haveblue posted:

Well yeah but you lose the 3D aspect and a large chunk of the view angle, it just seems so compromised as to be not worth it

I don't think you quite understand how high the barrier of entry to VR is and how little people actually care about it being "compromised"

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
yeah VR is a big barrier but i feel like 40k concurrent is not too bad when it's stacked in a list against non-VR games that are also mostly older/free forever games.

that said I do own a rift and i'm not rushing to buy it anytime soon

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

For what is being touted as the first AAA VR game, 40k and "not too bad" are simply not enough for other publishers to follow suit.

May 8, 2006

oh no I don't think Alyx is going to usher in the age of VR, I assumed that it was part to use leftover ideas/assets from Half-life projects, part to push their headset, and part as a loss-leader/eventually pack-in for future hardware.

it's the pneumatic dick suckers that are gonna catapult VR to a household item

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I said come in! posted:

The entire game is built for VR from the ground up, it would honestly be impossible. They'd have to build a whole other game with the same story, not much point.

haveblue posted:

If you're interested in Alyx as a great VR game, watching it in 2D will remove most of it yeah

But if you're just a half-life fan who wants to see some more half-life content and you're not interested in VR gaming, watching it streaming in 2D is actually pretty ideal and should be enjoyable

Valve even went the extra mile putting in some tools for spectating the game in VR so they probably realized this would be a thing

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Gabe Newell already said in an interview last week that they don't expect HL: Alyx to be a hit due to the current niche nature of VR headsets, so they probably aren't surprised it's not lighting up sales charts.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Looking forward to Campo Santo getting back to In the Valley of Gods now that this out :)

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I really wasn't sure that Animal Crossing was something I'd be into, but it really is just perfect to cool off from Half-Life with.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

GUI posted:

Gabe Newell already said in an interview last week that they don't expect HL: Alyx to be a hit due to the current niche nature of VR headsets, so they probably aren't surprised it's not lighting up sales charts.

Just make HL3 :argh:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Who in their right mind thought that Half-Life was going to be doing GTA5 numbers?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I want to see a take so bad I have to walk away from the computer.
FEAR 3 is the best FEAR game

I've used the xbox one x more than the ps4 lately because of gamepass and both UIs suck but the xbox at least is quicker to my library... and the download speed is not as lovely

the palicos are the only good part of monster hunter world (this one has to make someone sleepy)

mario 3d world is better than mario odyssey

FF12's combat is more enjoyable than Xenoblade's

Xenoblade X is the only good Xenoblade

the last jedi was fine

sourdough pretzels are the best salty snack

people should not be allowed to own more than one home

all seltzers taste the same so just buy unflavored

nintendo needs to make a captain syrup game and a switch version of pushmo

e: also nioh is the best souls game but i've already said that a few days ago

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Mar 24, 2020

May 8, 2006

The 7th Guest posted:

mario 3d world is better than mario odyssey

FF12's combat is more enjoyable than Xenoblade's

Xenoblade X is the only good Xenoblade

people should not be allowed to own more than one home

nintendo needs to make a captain syrup game and a switch version of pushmo

:hai:

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

oh my loving god i can't believe the credits of doom eternal have a picture of dan ryckert

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Doom Eternal is good so far but I might have made a mistake starting on Nightmare. This first Slayer Gate is kicking my rear end.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ometeotl posted:

Doom Eternal is good so far but I might have made a mistake starting on Nightmare. This first Slayer Gate is kicking my rear end.

Good news is you can swap difficulty without losing progress. Definitely drop it down, there's a lot to learn that's different from Doom 4.

Alternatively, rip and tear.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Looking forward to Campo Santo getting back to In the Valley of Gods podcasting now that this out :)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Mario 3D World is the best Mario game

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

GOTY
https://i.imgur.com/VWO4YlB.mp4

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I like that the first thing anyone does is draw a dick

It's coded deep in our dna

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

man i liked xenoblade x and i have no idea how you can consider that to be the best one, let alone the only good one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I’ve never drawn a dick, ever