Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Seems like you could just stick some feet to the bottom to fix it. I bet GamersNexus will do that in their review.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The guy in the YouTube video did that and only got reasonable temperatures when he also removed the bottom shell I think.

German testers said the pretty tops also completely choke radiators, requiring the perforated top cover (ruining part of the look) and another German website tried air cooling and said the 80mm fan is completely inadequate but using the perforated top cover with a 120mm fan venting out of the top works fine for the CPU.

So the stylish tempered glass or wood panels on top are completely unsuitable for cooling the CPU and the bottom design is terrible for GPU cooling in general. I guess you could cool low power stuff in there if you don't like the look of or think computers shouldn't be as small as an Asrock DeskMini (with eg. a Ryzen APU).

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Maxwell Adams posted:

Seems like you could just stick some feet to the bottom to fix it. I bet GamersNexus will do that in their review.

It doesn't have any real area for intake on the bottom, though; you'd need a perforated bottom panel. It only has tiny slits along the lower edges.

I don't understand it - fractal have been great about having case floor ventilation before, and some models have those great full-length filters that can be accessed from the front. Would have been perfect here.

orcane posted:

the 80mm fan is completely inadequate

It doesn't help that the grille is incredibly restrictive. It's pretty ugly.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 19, 2020

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Maxwell Adams posted:

Feet won't do anything for the Era because the bottom is totally closed except some tiny-rear end side-grills (which only have ~50% grill coverage along the strip). You'd have to seriously ramp up your GPU fans to get airflow through that.

E: Whelp :v:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I feel Fractal will fix some of the issues with the case on the second revision. Makes me wonder if external radiators that take heat out of the case will ever take off more.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

This is a good video about the Era.

https://youtu.be/u0iLfJtf3OI

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Too bad about the wrong orientation so it can't fit full size graphics cards, there's probably some merit in the "tall rectangle with a single giant fan on top" design
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cd2J_Mc0PJo

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I'm confused about a lot of choices made in this case. I imagine GN will have a few things to say (:q:)

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
The case seems like Fractal Design's experiment in "what happens when we let the aesthetics and design people have full control?" It's probably the most beautiful SFF case probably ever, honestly.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I want a Corsair One more than ever now, but don’t want to pay big bucks and already have hardware. Sad.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Fractal should have just updated the Core 500 by removing the optical drive support and re-doing the front of the case.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Lungboy posted:

Fractal should have just updated the Core 500 by removing the optical drive support and re-doing the front of the case.

Yep.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

That and/or drill some exhaust ventilation in the Node 202’s GPU chamber...

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Lungboy posted:

That case would be a lot more appealing if it had proper side panels, not one big sleeve.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbLugatTfTc

This is very cool. No pun intended.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Stickman posted:

That and/or drill some exhaust ventilation in the Node 202’s GPU chamber...

Yeah, that's the main issue with the node 202. I really like it, though.

I've made a real effort in mine to remove restrictions - no 2.5" drive cage, very neat cable routing and so on. Some decent intakes with good static pressure like the Noctua A12x25s as I have then can ram the air over the gpu (which I've totally removed the shroud and fans from) and through the gaps and out the top by the CPU (I have it standing upright, the only way a node 202 can really be used)

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

VulgarandStupid posted:

This is very cool. No pun intended.

I was just getting ready to watch that video.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

HalloKitty posted:

Yeah, that's the main issue with the node 202. I really like it, though.

I've made a real effort in mine to remove restrictions - no 2.5" drive cage, very neat cable routing and so on. Some decent intakes with good static pressure like the Noctua A12x25s as I have then can ram the air over the gpu (which I've totally removed the shroud and fans from) and through the gaps and out the top by the CPU (I have it standing upright, the only way a node 202 can really be used)

I'm running it horizontal with a 2600 and 1070ti. Had to get 1cm rubber feet so the A12x25s don't get choked, swapped the gpu cooler for just the Arctic Accelero radiator and the temps are managable but having to dump the hit air from the gpu into the cpu chamber isn't great. Reversing the direction of the gpu so that it exhausts out the top like Sliger's upcoming console case would probably help a ton.

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 20, 2020

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010
Here is my 3700x and RTX 2080 in a Lian Li TU150. I made all of the cables myself, which was pretty fun to zone out on. I still have some cable management to do as well as make the SATA cable. I came from a Silverstone ML08 so the lower temps are very welcomed.

RGB haters, I don't want to hear it, you don't know how much joy you're missing out on!

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
Goddamn that Era sucks in basically every aspect, how did Fractal gently caress something up this badly

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Those cables look great. I've been thinking about making my own cables in these the dark times because gently caress it.

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010

SalTheBard posted:

Those cables look great. I've been thinking about making my own cables in these the dark times because gently caress it.

Thanks, they're not as trained as I'd like, but I wanted to play Doom!!!

This is what I used for the cable/terminals, I ordered the paracord off Amazon. The expensive part was the crimper at $60.
https://www.titanrig.com/

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Gonna Send It posted:

Here is my 3700x and RTX 2080 in a Lian Li TU150. I made all of the cables myself, which was pretty fun to zone out on. I still have some cable management to do as well as make the SATA cable. I came from a Silverstone ML08 so the lower temps are very welcomed.

RGB haters, I don't want to hear it, you don't know how much joy you're missing out on!

Wow, what a fun build! That looks like an original idea and I love that you went air as well. I love my open loop... sometimes... but the simplicity of air coolers is pulling me back.

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010

jink posted:

Wow, what a fun build! That looks like an original idea and I love that you went air as well. I love my open loop... sometimes... but the simplicity of air coolers is pulling me back.

I considered water, but it's a lot of $ for non-OC stuff. I can't even hear it under load with headphones anyway.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Gonna Send It posted:

I considered water, but it's a lot of $ for non-OC stuff. I can't even hear it under load with headphones anyway.

For real. I could be using a 2080ti instead of my 'old' 1080ti if I didn't have this open loop. The 9900k is hard to tame even WITH all of this loop so ... what is the point.

Fantastic build, I am loving all of the radical colors. Reminds me of those Hyper Color shirts from the 90s! :)

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

jink posted:

For real. I could be using a 2080ti instead of my 'old' 1080ti if I didn't have this open loop. The 9900k is hard to tame even WITH all of this loop so ... what is the point.

Fantastic build, I am loving all of the radical colors. Reminds me of those Hyper Color shirts from the 90s! :)

Is it direct die cooled?

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Is it direct die cooled?

Sooooon. Scared to death of doing it. :D

RockitCool kit looks amazing though. I should just pick it up. A 'mint' 9900k means nothing on the used market.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
I'm running a direct die 9900k but with a Noctua D15. The temp drops were decent (about 6 or 7 C IIRC) going from a traditional TIM to liquid metal between the cold plate and the die. The CPU was picked up used with the direct die kit and the IHS removed. Running a 5ghz OC, using a dvid offset instead of static voltage. Planning on WC'ing the whole machine in the near future due to the fan noise from the 2080ti despite an undervolt and custom fan curve.

Mounting the cooler was a little more involved than usual, but Rockit's youtube videos were spot on.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

The Electronaut posted:

I'm running a direct die 9900k but with a Noctua D15.

Hnnng. Nice.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Mar 25, 2020

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Gonna Send It posted:

RGB hater here coming in to say your case looks like a music festival without the acid. :colbert:

Still, the fact that the cables fluoresce and things seem to actually go together make me begrudgingly approve.

Cool build dude! How hard was it to make the cables? I've thought about doing it for the build I'm working on, but I'm intimidated by it/don't have the tools yet.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I'm interested in a dual slot 2080 SUPER, is the EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER XC Gaming the one to get or are there other models I should be considering?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Warmachine posted:

a music festival without the acid. :colbert:

The thought of this made me feel cold, unironically.

The cables are neat. I'd like to know more about making them too.

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010

Warmachine posted:

RGB hater here coming in to say your case looks like a music festival without the acid. :colbert:

Still, the fact that the cables fluoresce and things seem to actually go together make me begrudgingly approve.

Cool build dude! How hard was it to make the cables? I've thought about doing it for the build I'm working on, but I'm intimidated by it/don't have the tools yet.

They're not actually fluorescent, just very, very neon.

It wasn't hard to make the cables, just time consuming if you want them to look nice; I think mine took 8 hours total. I highly recommend a wire stripper that you can set a repeatable length on. For paracord, you can do the heatshrinkless method by heating it up with the blue part of the flame from a lighter (the orange part coats it in soot) and use your wet fingers to mush it down on the connection pin. If I wanted to make another set, I'd be in it like $50 for materials.

The scariest part was powering it up the first time, but I triple checked my pinout in comparison to the stock cables.

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010

Incessant Excess posted:

I'm interested in a dual slot 2080 SUPER, is the EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER XC Gaming the one to get or are there other models I should be considering?

Mine was $550 from EVGA B-stock, A+ would buy again. Be aware it's a triple slot, though.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Warmachine posted:

This seems like a trivial problem to solve?

but please practice appropriate social distancing precautions and order delivery

Gonna Send It posted:

The scariest part was powering it up the first time, but I triple checked my pinout in comparison to the stock cables.

I’d be tempted to buy some cheap used desktop off Craigslist as a guinea pig. (Looks awesome, btw)

Stickman fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 25, 2020

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

I have an old FT03-Mini that I want to cut a hole into the side panel of. It is an aluminum case. Any tips for that? Unfortunately this thing has poo poo for ventilation for graphics card. Luckily, it's the white/silver design so I won't have to worry about the paint.

Edit; I guess I should say that I have a dremel and a reciprocating saw.

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Mar 25, 2020

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

The cables are neat. I'd like to know more about making them too.

Step 1: To start with, I cut the wire to a length I know that's longer then I need, then I cut the paracord slightly longer than that, melt the ends slightly to reduce fraying, then sleeve

Step 2: Find Length (I do this with one end plugged into the PSU so I can pull on them all and make them equal length after finding the longest one I need. Here you can see the crappy stock cables)

Step 3: Cut/Strip

Step 4: Fit

Step 5: Crimp

Step 6: Melt

Step 7: Push into connector and pray. Remove and remelt because you didn't get it tight enough the first time. (I used this pinout chart for mine. I didn't make any of the 24pin double wires since this PSU doesn't need them to function, only the SF600 Platinum uses them)

Bonus:

E: To get the stretch I want for the paracord, I crimped/melted/connected one side of the wires, then I pulled them all taught and cut the paracord to the length of the wire. I could've probably gone 2-3mm tighter, but this worked with the least amount of hassle.

Gonna Send It fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Mar 25, 2020

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Gonna Send It posted:

Step 1: To start with, I cut the wire to a length I know that's longer then I need, then I cut the paracord slightly longer than that, melt the ends slightly to reduce fraying, then sleeve

Step 2: Find Length (I do this with one end plugged into the PSU so I can pull on them all and make them equal length after finding the longest one I need. Here you can see the crappy stock cables)

Step 3: Cut/Strip

Step 4: Fit

Step 5: Crimp

Step 6: Melt

Step 7: Push into connector and pray. Remove and remelt because you didn't get it tight enough the first time. (I used this pinout chart for mine. I didn't make any of the 24pin double wires since this PSU doesn't need them to function, only the SF600 Platinum uses them)

Bonus:

E: To get the stretch I want for the paracord, I crimped/melted/connected one side of the wires, then I pulled them all taught and cut the paracord to the length of the wire. I could've probably gone 2-3mm tighter, but this worked with the least amount of hassle.

Huh. That doesn't seem so bad. I assume because standardization everyone uses the same pinout. Is there a specific gauge of wire that needs to be used?

Also, I DONT LIKE IT I DONT LIKE IT I think that looks pretty good with the desktop coordination.

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010

Warmachine posted:

Huh. That doesn't seem so bad. I assume because standardization everyone uses the same pinout. Is there a specific gauge of wire that needs to be used?

Also, I DONT LIKE IT I DONT LIKE IT I think that looks pretty good with the desktop coordination.

Corsair has a lot of PSUs with the same pinout (i.e. type 4 cables), but between brands nobody's pinout on the PSU side is the same. I would recommend comparing to stock cables to verify your pinout.

I used 18 gauge wire for everything. Some people use 16 but it seems kinda dumb to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Gonna Send It posted:

Step 1: To start with, I cut the wire to a length I know that's longer then I need..........

This is awesome, and it looks great. I might have a go with a single cable to start.