Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

fridge corn posted:

Have you forgotten I work in a garage and just bring my car in on a saturday and use one of the 20+ ramps we have?
It's honestly not much less annoying. It's still cold and everything under the car is still clarted up with winter crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

STR posted:

She found out later that he was pending a test, not that he'd tested positive. Still, he was symptomatic. Fingers crossed it comes back negative. I'm in a much better head space now that I've been out for a bit. We're still under the same roof most days, not fun.

I thought you had moved out already?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

STR posted:

They only had single rolls of no-name paper towels.. limit 1 per person. :sigh:

We've been buying rolls of blue shop towels at work rather than fight the hordes. :haw:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Elmnt80 posted:

We've been buying rolls of blue shop towels at work rather than fight the hordes. :haw:
That kind of fucks up sewer systems.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

slidebite posted:

Ran into my first mask wearers today in a grocery store that were not Asian. Couple of real beauties. One guy sporting a massive goon beard so there is no way his n95 mask is sealing around his wirey bush face and his lady companion only had one elastic holding her mask on the other was dangling in front. Good job!

Trief to snap a photo which did not turn out well.

On the plus side, their masks will at least reduce the possibility the *you* will be infected by *them* by catching droplets.
But yeah, not understanding how this stuff works is nigh-unforgivable.

rdb posted:

Just wish I knew for sure that it was the plague. Work did not shut down and all PTO requests are being denied.

I'm really surprised that their lawyers are letting them open themselves up to lawsuits like that (you have to put it in "uncaring rear end in a top hat" terms to make assholes care.)

Day 2 of work from home.
I still put on pants, well, shorts, but no shoes, or even socks, because it's supposed to be 80-something degrees Freedom today (70-something yesterday - opened the back door that's behind my current work area and enjoyed the sunlight and birdies.)
Can't run the AC right now due to plumbing issue. Guess I'd better go ahead and schedule the jackhammering.
*Really* would have rather bought a car for the $2500 I'm about to spend.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

slidebite posted:

I'm a little surprised it does not have a heel mag release. I thought that was standard for most Euro police/military? Obviously not though.

I don't recall the criteria for heel release 226 or 220. I think the date code on mine is '87 or '88, I don't recall precisely at the moment.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Mrs. Slidebite is working from home. Second day in she still getting up with me and getting dressed and she actually has her computer on to work half an hour earlier than she would be if she went to the office. I'm envious of her discipline because I'm sure if it was me I'd still be in my underwear probably browsing the news or forums or something until noon and then consider getting dressed and then get distracted again.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Tomarse posted:

I thought you had moved out already?

Off and on. I don't have a bed at the new place, so I've been staying on the couch at her/our place sometimes. I need to snag a bunch of boxes at work so I can pack all the little poo poo (and there's a LOT of little poo poo). There's also no internet at the new place yet, so my PC is still here.

Elmnt80 posted:

:v:

Irony: I stopped by the store I work at to grab beer. Was originally gonna go to the liquor store, but they don't keep my beer of choice refrigerated, so I figured I'd stop by (it's on the way to the liquor store anyway), and nope out if there was a line to get into the store. Liquor store is 50c cheaper, but having it cold and ready to drink is nice.

They... had everything I needed, except for dishwasher detergent and pasta (they had a little bit of pasta, just not spaghetti). Toilet paper? Check (though it was the sandpaper stuff and only in 4 packs, limit 1 per transaction per the state - but the fact it was still on the shelf almost 2 hours after open is a miracle). Paper towels? Check. Store brand and only single packs, but the store brand is decent, and they have a generous 4 roll limit if you're buying single rolls. The store looked like a normal day so long as you ignored canned goods, cleaning stuff, laundry stuff, hand soaps + hand sanitizer, and feminine hygiene. They even had frozen veggies packed to the gills. Walmart's freezers looked like a ghost town. No line to get in for a change. Entire pallets of canned beans and tomatoes, a pallet of some rice we don't normally carry (5 pound bags)..

Only stuff they were really short on was pasta, dried beans, cleaning stuff, tampons, and soups in general (we have ramen, but I hope you like chicken). I haven't seen the store this well stocked in almost 2 weeks, they've even opened the deli back up.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Mar 25, 2020

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Elmnt80 posted:

I have 5 fresh rolls of blue shop towel in my shed in addition to most of a pre-panic 24 pack of bog roll. Does this make me rich?

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

3/25 Quarantine Productivity Update:

The Van ('99 Express 4.3L) has been running like poo poo. The intake manifold was leaking so I replaced that a couple of months ago; it helped but wasn't really a solution. I kept thinking maybe the timing wasn't set quite right because it would run ok at some loads (like 50-75% load felt okay, but outside of that it was sluggish and poo) and it was intermittent. Then I realized that it's had an exhaust leak this whole time, the passenger side manifold-to-downpipe donut gasket was bad. It was pissing off the O2 sensor and causing the fuel trim to go out. I suspect the seeming intermittence was due to thermal expansion changing the size of the leak?

It was a quick change, I had to loosen the driver's side bolts to get it to move enough to maneuver the new gasket into place. Luckily none of them broke (yay CA cars), I had preemptively sprayed the pass. side ones with PB Blaster a while back so they broke relatively easily.

Definitely seems to be running better now, although I haven't driven it much because quarantine. It should keep getting better as the fuel trim reverts back to normal and I burn some carbon off. And it's so much quieter! I assumed it was loud because there was just a little plastic cap between the engine and me.

The casters for my lathe cart came yesterday evening, gonna see what kind of lag bolts I can scrounge up in the garage, level the table as best I can (it's pretty close now) and bolt them on. Then I can remount the lathe and make some chips. The first practice project is making a new knob for the spindle cover. Originals are plastic but the hardware store had some small brass rod to I'm gonna use that.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I wonder if this is why Brokeback's mileage is so terrible? I have an exhaust leak on the driver's side somewhere (though it only uses one O2 sensor). It's not loud at all, you can only hear it if I rev it, but it's definitely there.

Fuel trims don't seem out of whack when I look at them, but it's using 1 sensor for both banks.

And I got a weird email from the benefits provider for my employer...

quote:

Due to a recent employment status change, you may be eligible to enroll in new <company> benefits or have new benefit offerings available. If you are eligible for new benefits, an enrollment window will be open to make your elections. Please log on to <no.com> to make any updates to your benefits within 31 days of your employment data change.

Strange, why did I get that? I logged in, and...... wait, why am I being offered medical, dental, disability, life insurance, vision.... OH SNAP. And it looks like it's all backdated to Monday. Though I thought there was an HMO and PPO option for the medical; it looks like that's only in Houston. BCBS PPO or nothing, for $23/paycheck. Life, short and long term disability, and AD&D are on the house. The high tier dental (which covers implants... which I need) is only $5/paycheck.

I want to give my boss a big bear hug when I see him tomorrow, but we're following social distancing guidelines (even for customers.. there's people walking around making sure people aren't too close to each other while waiting in lines).

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Big Taint posted:

3/25 Quarantine Productivity Update:

The first day I've done any car touching this year, other than washing my wife's car once. I've been buried in kitchen reassembly and I'm out of supplies to move forward there, so I got a chance to gently caress with the Passat. In January, some fucktard backed into the front corner, so I had to take it apart to push the dent out as much as I could. Plus, I needed to adjust the wiring harness on the right headlight to see if that'd stop the random swivel headlight error.

Details in my thread, but it's nice to waste time car touching in the sun.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I posted in the AC thread but after chasing fixing the AC on my Celsior to get it ready for sale and wasting a whole lot doing it myself with an old guy and venting $150 worth of R12 to Jesus above I threw it to my little local shop who is desperate for work. They had one last stash of R12, found a bad O-Ring and are confident we have it fixed for $400.

Stay tuned! In about 10 days on this boat I have a Daihatsu Kei Bucket truck coming in, Mazda Fire Truck, Diesel Nissan Camper with wild murals on outside and vintage motif inside, 1984 Acty Street Van with factory AC and 4wd, and a 4wd Pajero Mini.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

everdave posted:

I posted in the AC thread but after chasing fixing the AC on my Celsior to get it ready for sale and wasting a whole lot doing it myself with an old guy and venting $150 worth of R12 to Jesus above I threw it to my little local shop who is desperate for work. They had one last stash of R12, found a bad O-Ring and are confident we have it fixed for $400.

Stay tuned! In about 10 days on this boat I have a Daihatsu Kei Bucket truck coming in, Mazda Fire Truck, Diesel Nissan Camper with wild murals on outside and vintage motif inside, 1984 Acty Street Van with factory AC and 4wd, and a 4wd Pajero Mini.

How did you do with the little blue truck? Seemed to go for way too cheap, was it timing with all of the poo poo hitting the fan and taking focus away from toy car buying?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

meatpimp posted:

How did you do with the little blue truck? Seemed to go for way too cheap, was it timing with all of the poo poo hitting the fan and taking focus away from toy car buying?

I made money, about $800+ but I just think worst day to end. I could not have asked for a better BAT auction experience this time, just super positive comments, tons of watchers, tons of bids from different people. It ended on the day this poo poo got real is the problem and I think people just were focused on other things. I am not upset about the outcome but I think it should have sold for $5700. It is a great little truck I have been driving it every day this week (buyer is deciding to pick up or have shipped, he has paid already).

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

STR posted:

And I got a weird email from the benefits provider for my employer...

Strange, why did I get that? I logged in, and...... wait, why am I being offered medical, dental, disability, life insurance, vision.... OH SNAP. And it looks like it's all backdated to Monday. Though I thought there was an HMO and PPO option for the medical; it looks like that's only in Houston. BCBS PPO or nothing, for $23/paycheck. Life, short and long term disability, and AD&D are on the house. The high tier dental (which covers implants... which I need) is only $5/paycheck.

I want to give my boss a big bear hug when I see him tomorrow, but we're following social distancing guidelines (even for customers.. there's people walking around making sure people aren't too close to each other while waiting in lines).

Congrats! Give your boss an air five from an appropriate distance?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Mom's in a new(er) car, and for a drat good price IMO. They wound up getting $1500 for the Avalon (I was supposed to be the next owner, but hey, it saved them a few bucks, and the stack of codes it was throwing was piling up pretty high - it's definitely approaching EOL and would probably be a downgrade over the Brokeback at this pont), stepdad negotiated hard and got them to (a) beat his credit union APR of 2.5% and (b) knock a bit more off because they got to finance it in-house for 72 months (so they get a kickback for 5 years). Payments are laughably low. He went in with his own financing, but was willing to let them go slightly higher on the APR if they could go down on the final price, instead they beat the credit union financing.

2018 Cadillac XT5 Premium Luxury V6, 30k miles, CPO. 3rd party extended warranty :sigh: (apparently GM isn't doing in-house extended warranties anymore?). It looks brand new, I'd guess it's probably a lease return. She has 3 years of maintenance included from the dealer.

$18k. :stare:

I would prefer that she'd gone with another Toyota or Lexus just because I know this will likely be the last car she ever owns, but she wasn't comfortable with the RX, Avalons were too expensive, she didn't like Camrys... she fell in love with this. She wanted something still under warranty, available with CPO... the bang for the buck on this was a lot better than a 2 year old Toyota/Lexus. She especially hated the Lexus RX, she had a hard time getting in/out of it and couldn't see out of it easily.

I have no idea how reliable they are, I just know it's the corporate GM 3.6 drivetrain and ticked all the right boxes for her. :ohdear:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 25, 2020

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
My crazy wife just ordered TP online.
It will arrive in May :rolleyes:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Presented with only the comment of "waited in line at Walmart for 30 minutes this morning, please show this to your wife".

Those mega rolls last a long loving time.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

My crazy wife just ordered TP online.
It will arrive in May :rolleyes:

I follow slickdeals.com (still sad that fatwallet is dead), and I got a deal on Amazon Subscribe and Save supermegaultra pack Charming at the beginning of the month. Right before things got weird. I laughed when the UPS guy dropped it off a couple days ago. Sitrep on meatpimp's toilet paper: well stocked.

That's got to be 65% depreciation from sticker in 2 years. Impressive. Cadillac really is chasing the Germans.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

STR posted:

Mom's in a new(er) car, and for a drat good price IMO. They wound up getting $1500 for the Avalon (I was supposed to be the next owner, but hey, it saved them a few bucks, and the stack of codes it was throwing was piling up pretty high - it's definitely approaching EOL and would probably be a downgrade over the Brokeback at this pont), stepdad negotiated hard and got them to (a) beat his credit union APR of 2.5% and (b) knock a bit more off because they got to finance it in-house for 72 months (so they get a kickback for 5 years). Payments are laughably low. He went in with his own financing, but was willing to let them go slightly higher on the APR if they could go down on the final price, instead they beat the credit union financing.

2018 Cadillac XT5 Premium Luxury V6, 30k miles, CPO. 3rd party extended warranty :sigh: (apparently GM isn't doing in-house extended warranties anymore?). It looks brand new, I'd guess it's probably a lease return. She has 3 years of maintenance included from the dealer.

$18k. :stare:

I would prefer that she'd gone with another Toyota or Lexus just because I know this will likely be the last car she ever owns, but she wasn't comfortable with the RX, Avalons were too expensive, she didn't like Camrys... she fell in love with this. She wanted something still under warranty, available with CPO... the bang for the buck on this was a lot better than a 2 year old Toyota/Lexus. She especially hated the Lexus RX, she had a hard time getting in/out of it and couldn't see out of it easily.

I have no idea how reliable they are, I just know it's the corporate GM 3.6 drivetrain and ticked all the right boxes for her. :ohdear:

3.6 is probably the least reliable GM engine of that decade especially in a SUV. Maybe they fixed it by 2018 but there were lots of issues with timing chains and PCVs in the valve covers that failed and drank up all the oil. Don’t even let it become your problem.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

$50k car new. Yeah, beating the Germans at their own game as far as the curve goes.

It might be a 2017 now that I think about it, but I know I'm right on the mileage. Either way, hell of a car for the price. It's the most comfortable car she test drove over the past few weeks for her to get in and out of, and let's face it, the mounting pile of codes and overall wear on the Avalon meant she really didn't feel safe driving it anymore.

You and I both know an Avalon can go for-loving-ever if you keep fluids in it and do a timing belt now and then. But it was at the point that the interior was falling apart. It was falling pretty far into maintenance debt, and the evap system was falling apart (again). For the past 2 years, they've had to cheat it through emissions (drive it until it was down to just evap not-ready, make sure to keep the gas full enough that it couldn't run the evap test before getting inspected, then haul rear end without shutting it off to the nearest place that did inspections). Everything on it still worked, but she's in her 70s, not nearly as mobile as she used to be, and after it leaving her stranded twice over the past few years, she didn't trust it anymore.

Plus... OnStar is a nice safety net for someone her age. She's fine with smart phones, but if she's in an accident, or if she has an emergency, hitting a button is a lot easier.

rdb posted:

3.6 is probably the least reliable GM engine of that decade especially in a SUV. Maybe they fixed it by 2018 but there were lots of issues with timing chains and PCVs in the valve covers that failed and drank up all the oil. Don’t even let it become your problem.

Good to know. I'll double check the year model. It won't become my problem hopefully for a long time; she's in her 70s, it has 30k, she doesn't drive much, this will likely be her last car purchase (also I don't live locally anymore). She's used to her old Avalon burning a bit of oil and checks the oil at every fillup, I'll make sure she knows to do the same on this. Especially since GM pushes oil changes out so far.

Unfortunately my (and her) longtime mechanic doesn't do modern GM aside from the occasional repair for someone at his church, so she'll need to find a solid domestic shop once the warranty and included maintenance is up. DFW goons.... solid shops up north? (Plano/Frisco/Allen/McKinney)

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Mar 25, 2020

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

That moment of disconnect, when you see a Trump 2020 flag on a garage door, and a “Practice random acts of kindness” bumper sticker on the car out front (an ‘80s Dodge Caravan). I wonder which one they don't understand?

edit: typo, I did mean "don't". :)

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Mar 26, 2020

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Darchangel posted:

That moment of disconnect, when you see a Trump 2020 flag on a garage door, and a “Practice random acts of kindness” bumper sticker on the car out front (an ‘80s Dodge Caravan). I wonder which one they do t understand?
:10bux: says neither edit: "both" if you meant "don't understand"

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'm pretty upset that our governor has taken to parroting Trump in his news conferences...."driving a car is more dangerous than the virus"

It's pretty much every city and county on their own now because the state isn't going to do a loving thing

Get hosed Desantis

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
The number of states that are choosing the Philadelphia 1918 route over the San Francisco 1918 route is really depressing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDY5COg2P2c

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah well your average worker isn't taking it too well apparently, #GeneralStrike and #NotDying4WallStreet are trending right now and it looks like a lot of people are pissed

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

We are continuing to push a point that one side is going to be correct. There's not going to be any grey area. Jebus help us.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

And now the repub loving ghouls are saying that we can't have a stimulus bill that pays people more than they were earning. God forbid some of the lowest paid people in the country get ahead for a minute. These guys are saying that people will quit to get unemployment, totally leaving out the fact that if you quit, you (usually) aren't eligible for unemployment. Just gotta stick it to the poors at every god drat turn.

Meanwhile, the entire Denver metro area has declared shelter in place for everyone. My company is listed as essential but my bosses were very cool and said anyone who wants to not come in will get full pay and benefits during their absence. I have a hot project, and with only 3 people in the entire area I'm working in, so I'm going to continue working. I'm packing lunches, so I'm only bouncing between here and home. Not really risky as far as I can tell. I'm most likely to get it from the store or my daughter who is still working the drive thru at Panera Bread.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Holy poo poo, intact virus found on a cruise ship 17 days later:

SARS-CoV-2 RNA was identified on a variety of surfaces in cabins of both symptomatic and asymptomatic infected passengers up to 17 days after cabins were vacated on the Diamond Princess but before disinfection procedures had been conducted (Takuya Yamagishi, National Institute of Infectious Diseases, personal communication, 2020). Although these data cannot be used to determine whether transmission occurred from contaminated surfaces, further study of fomite transmission of SARS-CoV-2 aboard cruise ships is warranted.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
The RNA was identified but viable virus? I seem to recall no. My bro and one of my aunts were discussing that article a while ago

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Yea just came back to post that, RNA not live virus, thank god

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
My wife works in claims for a pet insurance company.

Today she came across this note on an account:

Good to know that the grammar nazis are still out in force, even in the face of a global pandemic.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

And I would like a million dollars, but guess what

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Geoj posted:

Good to know that the grammar nazis are still out in force, even in the face of a global pandemic.

lol and they're not even correct about it

"to whom am i speaking" or "with whom do i have the pleasure of speaking"

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

So pornhub has had a subtle name change...

So far, Porn Hub is doing a better job of promoting social distancing than my loving work is. Who are STILL open and STILL encouraging people to come and congregate.... We're a state government department, we should be better than this!

Anphear
Jan 20, 2008

kastein posted:

The RNA was identified but viable virus? I seem to recall no. My bro and one of my aunts were discussing that article a while ago

shy boy from chess club posted:

Yea just came back to post that, RNA not live virus, thank god

DNA/RNA is surprising stable at freezer/fridge/room temperature. Assuming its been purified correctly and there is no DNAse or RNAse, the stuff is viable for ages. I've used DNA and plasmids stocks that my now retired Professor purified during his first Post Doc in the late 70's/early 80's, labeled and dated to prove it. You get your rear end I was careful with those

A Dutch researcher I worked with regularly sent, at room temperature, RNA dissolved in ethanol, via international courier services, with no real degradation experienced. Everyone else sent it on Liquid N2

Some viruses are pretty good at avoiding desiccation, but some bacteria can last for thousands of years. Human Caronavirus 229E can last a surprisingly long some given the correct humidity. 20% viable after 6 days @ 50% Relative humidity at 20° C https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3509683/

Edit: just stay home.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Anphear posted:

DNA/RNA is surprising stable at freezer/fridge/room temperature. Assuming its been purified correctly and there is no DNAse or RNAse, the stuff is viable for ages. I've used DNA and plasmids stocks that my now retired Professor purified during his first Post Doc in the late 70's/early 80's, labeled and dated to prove it. You get your rear end I was careful with those

A Dutch researcher I worked with regularly sent, at room temperature, RNA dissolved in ethanol, via international courier services, with no real degradation experienced. Everyone else sent it on Liquid N2

Some viruses are pretty good at avoiding desiccation, but some bacteria can last for thousands of years. Human Caronavirus 229E can last a surprisingly long some given the correct humidity. 20% viable after 6 days @ 50% Relative humidity at 20° C https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3509683/

Edit: just stay home.

DNA is remarkably resilient, even being almost complete despite being tens of thousands of years in some cases. Even freakier is that sometimes the DNA is still mostly viable under ideal preservation conditions

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Mar 26, 2020

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Ferremit posted:

So pornhub has had a subtle name change...

So far, Porn Hub is doing a better job of promoting social distancing than my loving work is. Who are STILL open and STILL encouraging people to come and congregate.... We're a state government department, we should be better than this!

Pornhub is doing gods work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Geoj posted:

Nice dangling participle.

LloydDobler posted:

And now the repub loving ghouls are saying that we can't have a stimulus bill that pays people more than they were earning. God forbid some of the lowest paid people in the country get ahead for a minute. These guys are saying that people will quit to get unemployment, totally leaving out the fact that if you quit, you (usually) aren't eligible for unemployment. Just gotta stick it to the poors at every god drat turn.

My very liberal mother was concerned that rich people were going to get checks at all. I basically told her "they're the 0.1%, that's what we're always bitching about, they're so few in number that it doesn't matter in the big picture". Just get the money out to the PEOPLE.

On the other side, I'm really disappointed in some of my friends who are reposting this anti-landlord bullshit. Sure, there are bad landlords, but there's a lot of people who rent out property in addition to having real jobs and do their best to make their tenant's lives good. We sure do with our apartment over our garage. We asked if he was in any hardship from the virus and offered to let the rent slide. He's still working, and is happy to pay.

Also, people, this is a virus, it's not alive. You aren't trying to kill it, you're trying to destroy it, either by denaturing the proteins or by dissolving the lipid capsule. That's why sanitizing doesn't work, low-alcohol content wipes don't work. That's why washing your hands is better than hand sanitizer.

Stay home, wash your hands, don't touch your face. Quarantine your mail and packages, if you have to open them, do so then immediately wash your hands without touching anything else. That's what I'm doing with company packages whose comments I need: cut open and dump containers into a plastic tote, cut open containers and dump contents into another clean tote without touching contents directly. Wash hands. Throw all packaging away, use bleach on totes. Wash hands again, and call it good.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Mar 26, 2020