Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Child soldiers are a long-standing and well-respected tradition in superhero comics.

holy poo poo yeah, don't tell OG spider-man, ultimate spider-man, the OG X-men, any of the Robins while they were Robin, the entirety of Gen-13, uhhhhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Over Easy posted:

Alright, been watching some theatrical cuts back to back with directors cuts and special editions lately

The Terminator 2 theatrical cut is better than the Extreme edition (or whatever it is called)

The Alien theatrical cut is a completely perfect film and is better than the directors cut

the highlander directors cut is better than the theatrical cut

the blade runner final cut is better than the other iterations

the Apocalypse Now theatrical cut is better as a film experience but the director's cut is also really interesting, that poo poo with the french family is really good, poo poo is just long as gently caress

the alien 3 directors cut is better than the theatrical release as is the alien resurrection directors cut

I honestly could not tell a difference between the aliens DC and the theatrical cut

the directors cut of Donnie Darko loving sucks. that's all.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

the other difference i can remember from the aliens dc is that they actually show the colonists getting orders from weyland to check out the site ripley told them about but the instructions are vague and useless and say absolutely nothing about anything dangerous

technically speaking the scenes a bit of a drag and its probably better for the sake of dramatic tension that its left ambiguous whether the colonists found the ship on their own if weyland told them to go look for it but it does tie in well with the movies general premise of weyland being useless and incompetent which i personally prefer over the modern premise of their being involved in centuries spanning conspiracy bullshit that theyre always spectactularly loving up somehow

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Freaking Crumbum posted:

holy poo poo yeah, don't tell OG spider-man, ultimate spider-man, the OG X-men, any of the Robins while they were Robin, the entirety of Gen-13, uhhhhh

or bucky barnes aka the winter soldier who was literally a child fighting in ww2 originally when he was introduced in 1941

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Bucky also headed his own team of child soldiers!

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Bucky also headed his own team of child soldiers!

I need an explanation for one of those kids

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I think you already know the explanation.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

so i just watched a quiet place and i was wondering can anyone explain to me why exactly this movie is supposed to be so amazing its got a solid gimmick but the acting is bad the monster is generic and the plot is a level of boring id normally expect from a lifetime movie even the camerawork and the sound design are just ok at best maybe my expectations were a little high but if i hadnt known ahead of time that everybody had been jizzing all over it i would have thought it was just a random vaguely interesting low budget horror movie not one of the best of 2018

conventionalcat
Dec 17, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i agree the gimmick carried a quiet place. i didnt really love it that much when i saw it in theatres. kinda solid, but underwhelming compared to Unsane from earlier that year which i thought was a way better horror/thriller movie

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Some Guy TT posted:

so i just watched a quiet place and i was wondering can anyone explain to me why exactly this movie is supposed to be so amazing its got a solid gimmick but the acting is bad the monster is generic and the plot is a level of boring id normally expect from a lifetime movie even the camerawork and the sound design are just ok at best maybe my expectations were a little high but if i hadnt known ahead of time that everybody had been jizzing all over it i would have thought it was just a random vaguely interesting low budget horror movie not one of the best of 2018

I think normies just liked the white trad family propaganda

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

MizPiz posted:

there was an android version of the human torch before the fantastic four existed and he had a human boy as a sidekick who was also a human torch

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Some Guy TT posted:

the other difference i can remember from the aliens dc is that they actually show the colonists getting orders from weyland to check out the site ripley told them about but the instructions are vague and useless and say absolutely nothing about anything dangerous

technically speaking the scenes a bit of a drag and its probably better for the sake of dramatic tension that its left ambiguous whether the colonists found the ship on their own if weyland told them to go look for it but it does tie in well with the movies general premise of weyland being useless and incompetent which i personally prefer over the modern premise of their being involved in centuries spanning conspiracy bullshit that theyre always spectactularly loving up somehow

yeah, I agree with that full on

the broader Prometheus and covenant cosmology really sucks rear end and fucks with the delectable mysterious aspects of the original films

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Over Easy posted:

the Apocalypse Now theatrical cut is better as a film experience but the director's cut is also really interesting, that poo poo with the french family is really good, poo poo is just long as gently caress

The directors cut was what I first watched in high school and tbh I felt like, as a whole film, the French stuff didn't even seem out of place or unwarranted as a part of the film's message

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

so thanks to our friend coronachan ive finally gotten around to playing my christmas present assassins creed liberation and i started over two memories in upon realizing there were spanish language options and was sincerely surprised to find that changing the language greatly increased the quality of the dub now i have three theories for this and would appreciate it if someone could tell me the most plausible explanation given that this is my first assassins creeds game as well as my first time loving around with alternate dubs in a modern game

one spanish language dubbers are better than english language dubbers in general because they have more experience the poor fuckers have to dub drat near everything because lovely american shows and movies dominate their markets

two for this specific style of dubbing spanish language dubbers are better because the story is stupid and pretentious as gently caress but if youre treating it like a telenovela and not something that has some kind of deep moral message the experience is a lot more tolerable

three assassins creed in particular has an unusually terrible dub and or story which would make sense because i played the last of us in english at some point and i dont ever remember thinking about how much the story slash dubbing sucked

four im an idiot gringo and actually the dubs are equally bad im just too stupid to be able to tell the difference

much obliged for your input

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

the directors cut of Donnie Darko loving sucks. that's all.

It actively makes the film far worse.

Dark City directors cut is absolutely shocking as well.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Spuckuk posted:

It actively makes the film far worse.

Dark City directors cut is absolutely shocking as well.

Oh yeah! I watched that one too, better coloring, more spiral stuff

I liked it

The warriors teatrical version is better than the DC but not much seemed different apart from that hokey comic book poo poo. Miss me with that garbage

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

definitely see the directors cut black and white version of the mist

A4R8
Feb 28, 2020

dex_sda posted:

it's a vietnam parable and it's actually a bit sick when you draw the parallels and realise the vietnamese are portrayed as easily cullable monsters that win only due to the leadership not wanting to nuke them

I never liked the jingoism and militarism of Aliens.

Alien, Alien 3, and Alien Resurrection are the cspam/leftist films

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

A4R8 posted:

Same.

Resurrection has a terrible script, Joss Whedon is garbage.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

MizPiz posted:

he's wearing a kippah, it means he's Jewish.

e: he appears to shoving his hand up hitler's rear end in a top hat

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

A4R8 posted:

But Aliens shows all the oorah marines getting hosed up while the arch corporate agent absolutely fucks everyone over.

The survivors are the one pragmatic marine, a small child and the woman who told them it was a bad idea to send in the troops.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Spuckuk posted:

But Aliens shows all the oorah marines getting hosed up while the arch corporate agent absolutely fucks everyone over.

The survivors are the one pragmatic marine, a small child and the woman who told them it was a bad idea to send in the troops.

To me, Aliens seems to do the stock movie portrayal of the military: command and higher ranks are out-of-touch and only semi-competent, the ranks are brave and resourceful and heroic despite their command. This is the same line taken by Transformers.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
lol all that stuff is played up and exaggerated precisely to highlight how ultimately powerless they are against the xenomorphs.

also that weyland-yutani is run by greedy cowardly assholes who care only about number which hm seems really loving relevant right this minute.

imagine missing the point of aliens.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
lol, Aliens isn't a loving Vietnam parable and the creatures aren't the Vietnamese, get your brainworms checked

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's a movie about the military industrial complex, like a bunch of other Cameron movies. A squad of arrogant and overconfident soldiers whose haughtiness comes from being provided with overwhelming technological superiority by the state and its corporate overlords finds itself almost completely powerless and nearly wiped out facing the product of the system they work for, and they realize they must turn away from their usual methods and work with the skeptical civilian in order to defeat both the monster and their corrupt employers.

steinrokkan has issued a correction as of 10:27 on Mar 27, 2020

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Laterite posted:

lol all that stuff is played up and exaggerated precisely to highlight how ultimately powerless they are against the xenomorphs.

also that weyland-yutani is run by greedy cowardly assholes who care only about number which hm seems really loving relevant right this minute.

imagine missing the point of aliens.

Can the mighty minds of C-SPAM digest the cerebral opus that is Aliens? Turns out the answer is "no"

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

steinrokkan posted:

lol, Aliens isn't a loving Vietnam parable and the creatures aren't the Vietnamese, get your brainworms checked

Cameron is on record saying that it is.

Sure, that's dumb as hell, but there you go.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

lol, Aliens isn't a loving Vietnam parable

steinrokkan posted:

It's a movie about the military industrial complex

A4R8
Feb 28, 2020

steinrokkan posted:

steinrokkan posted:

It's a movie about the military industrial complex, like a bunch of other Cameron movies. A squad of arrogant and overconfident soldiers whose haughtiness comes from being provided with overwhelming technological superiority by the state and its corporate overlords finds itself almost completely powerless and nearly wiped out facing the product of the system they work for, and they realize they must turn away from their usual methods and work with the skeptical civilian in order to defeat both the monster and their corrupt employers.

Holy lmao

Son, can I order you a copy of On Contradiction by Chairman Mao?

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

one funny thing about cameron is if you watch any of his movies up through true lies with the commentary, he is constantly observing the amazing practical effects and saying "yeah, we would just CGI that now" and not in a wistful kind of sad way, in like a "I am sure glad we don't have to do smart artful poo poo like that anymore and we can just shovel this poo poo out to you little SOBs" kind of way

he has a reputation of being a total control freak maniac and I think CGI has given him a perverse control over his films which have made them progressively shittier since the mid 90s.

on a semi-related note, I have been getting into collecting soundtracks on vinyl and I got Terminator 2 a few months back and it has been getting such an intense amount of play

the sound design on that movie is loving phenomenal and the way the composer used organic sounds distended through digital processors is masterful. Holds up incredibly well. Some of the most emotionally poignant film scoring outside ennio morricone

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

nonathlon posted:

To me, Aliens seems to do the stock movie portrayal of the military: command and higher ranks are out-of-touch and only semi-competent, the ranks are brave and resourceful and heroic despite their command. This is the same line taken by Transformers.

I think the difference here from the standard "troops held back by sniveling commanders" portrayal is that they're at the beck and call of the megacorp, not a civilian government

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I don't care what the Aliens symbolize, they slaughtered innocent white colonists and I need to see them pay the price.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Over Easy posted:

yeah, I agree with that full on

the broader Prometheus and covenant cosmology really sucks rear end and fucks with the delectable mysterious aspects of the original films

prometheus is an excellent movie about a group of absolute loving idiots getting owned by things they think they understand, it rules. where did the xenomorphs come from? a pot of black goo, gently caress you. who made them? some white dude who says nothing and dies like a chump.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

MonsieurChoc posted:

Cameron is on record saying that it is.

Sure, that's dumb as hell, but there you go.

He said he used the aesthetics of Vietnam to make the movie seem grounded and realistic. That's not the same as saying that it's a Vietnam parable, which it isn't except in the most superficial possible way, in which case every movie made in that time frame is a Vietnam parable. It is "about" much broader themes of abuse of power than just "about" Vietnam. Hell, the more I think about the supposed parallels, the less it works, and the more obvious it is that the supposed allegory is really just a bunch of incidental cultural cues and intersecting themes.

A4R8 posted:

Holy lmao

Son, can I order you a copy of On Contradiction by Chairman Mao?

See above.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wow you guys sure are movie geniuses, I never knew all these badass movies he secretly leftist themes

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It’s no wonder the resurgent left is so powerful, the hidden leftist themes of the past 40 years of blockbuster action films has primed the populace for action. Thank you mr. Cameron, can’t believe the “fans” missed the themes lol!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

It’s no wonder the resurgent left is so powerful, the hidden leftist themes of the past 40 years of blockbuster action films has primed the populace for action. Thank you mr. Cameron, can’t believe the “fans” missed the themes lol!

kurt vonnegut, custard tart, etc

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Imagine taking pride in understanding Prometheus

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
In Jim Cameron’s classic “Titanic”, you’ll notice that the rich people stay in nice rooms with windows and the poor people stay in dingy rooms with no windows that are physically and figuratively lower. Makes u think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Suppressive “fans” muddying the waters and keeping the emancipatory message of the Star Wars prequels away from the masses who yearn for language to describe their oppression.