Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Same and it's also something I don't think Kim knows about yet.

Oh wow, maybe the thing Kim can't forgive is when he does something even worse to Howard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I gotta say, I got really intense flashbacks to having that kind of relationship-ending discussion with my exes while watching that last scene.

I hadn't pulled what Jimmy did, but they got it absolutely perfect. Everyone in this show is so loving good.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

Sub Rosa posted:

I really love the hookers confronting Howie scene. It's funny and also a super hosed up thing to do to someone.

I knew a lot of dudes who loved Walter White, while I never liked him or thought he was someone to idealize or root for.

I love Saul Goodman, but drat, while that was funny and clever, it was also just the shittiest thing I remember him ever doing. Like it was the moment that I stopped being able to root for this guy.

This is the first one of Jimmy's schemes I remember that comes off like the sort of petty, ego driven tantrum that Walt would pull. It lacks a certain self awareness and humor that made his other scams more charming/tragic than contemptible.

lurker2006 fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Mar 26, 2020

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Everybody keeps treating the narrative like Jimmy's gonna' gently caress up or Jimmy needs fixing, and Kim's gonna' be a victim, but I really feel like the story being told is that Kim repeatedly goads Jimmy into doing scummy poo poo, then admonishes him afterward, but then she keeps doing it and enjoying it, so it's entirely possible that maybe Kim isn't good for Jimmy.

I hesitated to put this reading forward because media treats women like poo poo and even when it doesn't, you have the bizarre reaction to Skyler White.
They're both very codependent, but especially her at the end of this episode

Like she knows that she needs to leave him, but she just can't do it, so now it seems like she is going to try and get him to marry her so that they can do their schemes without legally having to worry about testifying against each other.

But I also agree with some earlier posts that Jimmy is basically dead and gone at this point, which was where he ended up last season. A big arc of the series has been him trying to do things the 'right way', but because of who he is he always takes the easier way out since he's good at it, and it's more satisfying to him. You can possibly argue that Jimmy died when Chuck died in the fire, but especially after he realized that he could straight-up lie to get his bar license back. You see how he still went with the dirty blackmail scheme despite Kim wanting to just settle things the normal way and pay the difference out of her own pocket.

Kim is especially interesting to me because she does seem to believe a lot in the 'Saul Goodman' idea of 'justice', ie. that she wants to defend the 'little guy' from the rich and powerful. You see it throughout the series as she struggles with balancing the cases that pay her bills (Mesa Verde) and the stuff she really wants to do (pro bono work). Especially this season it has become clear that she will do unethical things to achieve her goals, in a similar way to how 'Saul Goodman' uses scummy and unethical tactics to game the system in favor of his clients. Except she is not doing it for the money at all, but Saul absolutely will.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

Data Graham posted:

That ain't no Comic Sans :colbert:

I'm happy to say that while there is no Comic Sans on the website, one of the commercials has it!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Crazy how they had to edit those videos pretty much overnight so they could actually play them in that that scene.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Same and it's also something I don't think Kim knows about yet. I'm sure he can stoop to some new depth yet that will send her packing of her own free will. I don't think she'll be murdered or anything like that- I figure the worst that would happen would be she gets disbarred for partaking in his chicanery. She'll just remove herself from his life.

Some of this is going to be awkward reverse-foreshadowing trying to make things fit into BB-era Saul, but when we meet him he seems perfectly happy rolling around in the dirt being a CRIMINAL ATTORNEY, so they can't really traumatize him too much in the lead-up to BB-time.

I think something like her being disbarred and leaving or otherwise dumping/divorcing Jimmy would work, he could probably recover from that and any cartel-related shenanigans without turning into a soulless husk that somehow still makes wacky commercials and who for all we see in BB still enjoys his work.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I gotta say, I got really intense flashbacks to having that kind of relationship-ending discussion with my exes while watching that last scene.

I hadn't pulled what Jimmy did, but they got it absolutely perfect. Everyone in this show is so loving good.

It perfectly captures the moment when when one party does something they don’t think is that bad and then it hits that actually it was That Bad.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo, Jimmy! What the gently caress, Kim :smith:

I've been somewhat impatient with the show in the first few episodes but watching things finally start blowing up is definitely worth it.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I still think Kim comes out of this alive and as a lawyer - remember that Saul/Jimmy refers Francesca to somebody in the post-BB scene and I can't really see that being Howard. However it's likely that they'll separate - possibly while still being married - and I really hope that we get to see something of how Kim ended up post-BB as well (working in Cinnabon's legal team :v: )

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Article about Rhea (pronounced "Ray", btw) Seehorn in Rolling Stone Magazine

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Wanna see that jet black crew cut

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

u brexit ukip it posted:

I still think Kim comes out of this alive and as a lawyer - remember that Saul/Jimmy refers Francesca to somebody in the post-BB scene and I can't really see that being Howard. However it's likely that they'll separate - possibly while still being married - and I really hope that we get to see something of how Kim ended up post-BB as well (working in Cinnabon's legal team :v: )

It doesn't make sense for him to say "tell them Jimmy sent you" when she would go see Kim when she already knows Kim.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I've been saying it like the bird this whole time!

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

quote:

One of her failed pilots was Eva Adams, an adaptation of a popular international format where a womanizer is magically transformed into a woman. Because her character was supposed to really be Will Arnett, Seehorn was allowed to shadow the Arrested Development star for a few days to learn his mannerisms. “But every time Will knew I was watching him,” she says, “he’d sit super strange and walk really weird, totally to gently caress with me.”

This sounds like an awful, awful idea. But also god I want to see it.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It sounds suspiciously Rob Schneider-esque.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
"This person is forced to transition AS A PUNISHMENT" is a horrible idea for a story and I'm glad it didn't happen.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I think Kim is just going to end the relationship. It may not be this time but it will happen. Maybe expect Jimmy to do one last stupid thing before it ends.

I really don't expect anything bad to happen to Kim just the ending of the relationship. She might have to move to get away from Jimmy though.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

beanieson posted:

Wanna see that jet black crew cut

It's literally posted within the article. Maybe not 'crew' cut, but very short, very dark hair. Doesn't even look like her

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

It's literally posted within the article. Maybe not 'crew' cut, but very short, very dark hair. Doesn't even look like her

Hmmm I saw that but didn’t realize that’s what the author was referring to.. that’s definitely not a crew cut but oh well.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
I just rewatched the first episode of the series (S1 E1) and wow even from their first meeting on the show, there are serious layers of animosity between Jimmy and Howard.

- Jimmy, who is drowning in bills, receives a $26000 check from Howard he cannot cash
- Jimmy storms into HHM, throws the check in Howard's face. Howard is smug and patronizing and Jimmy feels powerless so he rage-kicks the (already dented up) ash can in the parking garage. Deep and volatile rage.
- Howard then goes behind Jimmy's back to Chuck's house, gives Chuck a stipend check, intimates that James McGill will face a lawsuit if he practices law under that name.

So yeah there's all kinds of irony about Howard wanting to hire "Jimmy McGill".

There's another great moment in that ep, where Jimmy is planning a job with the skater dudes, he takes one of their phones and pushes some buttons. "There you go, number one on your speed dial," he tells them.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

Crazy how they had to edit those videos pretty much overnight so they could actually play them in that that scene.
You could edit what we saw inside of an hour, easily.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

FlamingLiberal posted:

They're both very codependent, but especially her at the end of this episode

Like she knows that she needs to leave him, but she just can't do it, so now it seems like she is going to try and get him to marry her so that they can do their schemes without legally having to worry about testifying against each other.

Based on the flashback, Kim seems like the kind of woman who will tolerate basically anything except lying. Jimmy lied to her, but she's going along with his justification that he did it to protect her. She still can't deal with getting lied to though so she's going to take away that justification for the future for him. That said, having been lied to by him this once might already be enough, but if he does it again they're done.

I think he could pull almost anything else and she'd deal with it, but lying is a red line.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I feel like the constant theme of subverting expectations means that Jimmy is going to be the one to leave Kim. Maybe it's because he's in with some bad cartel poo poo and feels that she would be in danger.

It just feels unsatisfying to me that Kim's reason would be "Jimmy, the last twelve times you lied to me were fine but THIRTEEN LIES!? WE'RE THROUGH!"

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Jimmy and Kim's relationship has always felt super weird to me. There are only a handful of times in the whole series that I've really sensed any warmth or affection between them.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

big mood

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Jimmy and Kim's relationship has always felt super weird to me. There are only a handful of times in the whole series that I've really sensed any warmth or affection between them.

I really like Jim and Kimmys relationship. The whole first season there's this kind of 'are they loving? did they used to but don't anymore?' kind of ambivalence to it but then when Jimmy starts involving her with schemes and you see a spark of excitement between them you get a subtle shift to them being Officially Together without any big deal made about it. Its not affection all the time just the vibe of two people who are very comfortable with each other. It feels very true to life to me.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ok, I'm old and don't know what this means. What does this mean?

Edit: ok, it means "same".

Why/how the hell did that happen?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Ok, I'm old and don't know what this means.

mood

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
I always appreciate a good "gently caress you, Jimmy"

Edit: lol these forums

code:
https://files.catbox.moe/1rqgg4.mp4

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Cool, thanks. I think she's a brilliant actor, and I hate to revert to thirsty superficial internet nerd mentality. But that headshot of her in her twenties.....hubba hubba :stare:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

I feel like the constant theme of subverting expectations means that Jimmy is going to be the one to leave Kim. Maybe it's because he's in with some bad cartel poo poo and feels that she would be in danger.

It just feels unsatisfying to me that Kim's reason would be "Jimmy, the last twelve times you lied to me were fine but THIRTEEN LIES!? WE'RE THROUGH!"
Isn't this the first time he has directly hosed her over though? Usually when he was lying to her it didn't involve her (like the stuff he was doing during his law license suspension). I can see why this would be a breaking point since they had a plan, he agreed to it, but then he threw it out the window at the last minute and embarrassed her publicly.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

Isn't this the first time he has directly hosed her over though? Usually when he was lying to her it didn't involve her (like the stuff he was doing during his law license suspension). I can see why this would be a breaking point since they had a plan, he agreed to it, but then he threw it out the window at the last minute and embarrassed her publicly.

More than that, he intentionally deceived her to create a genuine reaction of confusion and anger. This may be the first time she felt like he was using her as a prop in one of his scams, albeit one she had a hand in creating, rather than them working together on the same caper.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Takes No Damage posted:

More than that, he intentionally deceived her to create a genuine reaction of confusion and anger. This may be the first time she felt like he was using her as a prop in one of his scams, albeit one she had a hand in creating, rather than them working together on the same caper.
Yes that's definitely part of it

You can see it from his point of view, which was that his plan was only going to work if she had no idea, but he definitely didn't think of the consequences to doing it that way.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Ok, I'm old and don't know what this means. What does this mean?

Edit: ok, it means "same".

Why/how the hell did that happen?

boomer

MichaelFlatley
Nov 11, 2002

Strom Cuzewon posted:

You can! It’s here.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

So I just randomly watched The Rainmaker (1997), and geeeeez it's like this movie is the entire blueprint for Better Call Saul and Saul Goodman in general. Anybody else have that feeling?

It's more of a wry comedy than the serious courtroom drama I was expecting, and full of Slippin-Jimmy-esque legal antics and goofball comedic characters (Danny DeVito is in it fercryinoutloud). And the overall story is eerily similar to BCS, to the extent that I feel like Chuck and HHM were all but modeled on Jon Voight and his evil health insurance company legal team.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Better Ring Rudy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

I think Nacho will be the one to disappear. Maybe not the only one, but I think definitely him.

Nacho will be disappeared to Rook Islands.