Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

NO! Just candy! Ninety dollars!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

In my experience, a rotten old jerk who just complains all the time is exactly the kind of person that did have an extravagant and strange life.

For my entire life, my grandpa existed merely to watch TV and complain about what his family was doing. I literally never saw him leave his chair unless to go to the bathroom or sleep until the day he died, and I hated visiting him because he literally never had anything nice or fun to say about anyone or anything. Not even a book full of cakes from magazines, like Agnes.

The other week I learned he was a trick pony rider in Chicago before WW2, and was actually considered one of the flashier and more talented riders. He woo'd my grandma by performing a particularly dangerous stunt while holding a flower for her in his teeth. I only knew him as a 400lb terminal "gameshow watcher".

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Data Graham posted:

NO! Just candy! Ninety dollars!
That's Mrs. Glick. Shameful

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Aw crap, really?

poo poo how could this happen

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Not Agnes, but the same energy. I love the old lady selling her candy dish at the community yard sale. I went to an antique shop last week and kept pulling up small cheap poo poo and saying "NINETY DOLLARS!"

Edit: Holy crap those posts happened as I wrote mine.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Detective No. 27 posted:

Not Agnes, but the same energy. I love the old lady selling her candy dish at the community yard sale. I went to an antique shop last week and kept pulling up small cheap poo poo and saying "NINETY DOLLARS!"

it took you 7 hours to write that post?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Junk posted:

Don't expect a timely reply

JfishPirate
Jun 24, 2006
I have been grossly misinformed about witches.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Since there will likely be no better time to link it, here's one of my favorite sequences from the first few seasons, which features Ms. Glick:

"He was killed in the Great War... held a grenade too long."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JZOESJ0BLk

JfishPirate fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Mar 20, 2020

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Junk posted:

For some reason, my app didn't some of those previous posts before I made mine.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
its cool man im just joshing

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

JfishPirate posted:

Since there will likely be no better time to link it, here's one of my favorite sequences from the first few seasons, which features Ms. Glick:

"He was killed in the Great War... held a grenade too long."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JZOESJ0BLk

Her eye at 1:05... (shudder)

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

I guess they're doing another weed episode?

https://twitter.com/mattselman/status/1241819606680928257?s=21

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

So pumped!

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

https://mobile.twitter.com/BenHugh26422354/status/1241874514289573893

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
(GET IT?) should just be emblazoned across the screen for the duration of every modern day simpsons episode

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/thatguy3002/status/1242118919206338563?s=21
They finished the character design in February, so it looks like it takes just over a month to animate an episode these days?

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I remember the DVD of the Clerks series had a mini-doc on how they were figuring out the art, and there were some really cool, dark, dingy-looking designs that they scrapped for it. I would pause the DVD and try to copy the art styles as much as I could.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I’m marathoning the Simpsons in English and it’s really obvious these voice actors don’t have a lot of range and Harry Shearer is roughly 75% of the cast

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Calaveron posted:

I’m marathoning the Simpsons in English and it’s really obvious these voice actors don’t have a lot of range and Harry Shearer is roughly 75% of the cast

They're no German Simpsons voice actors, that's for sure, but we Americans have grown fond of them over the years

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
In the new one, Marge puts Maggie in a day care for no apparent reason.

Finding herself unable to fill her day after hating spin class, pottery class, and surprising Homer at work, she goes into a "wellness clinic" and gets a job because the owners think she puts off major mom vibes. She can't figure out how all the candy and sodas are selling for so much money until she finds out it's a weed store.

She's leaving, but Drederick Tatum comes out and begs her to stay because they need to put a square face on the store. Agnes and Skinner comes in and he's been keeping her high because she's a lot nicer when she's high. Otto comes in and acts like it's an actual drug deal; Otto sounds really really really loving bad now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8w256-i2pHc

Otto misses the sleaziness and him, Homer and Moe put together a fake sleazebag drug dealer apartment so old school stoners can get a dirtbag experience.

Marge's job tells her they're gonna fire her if her husband keeps giving pot a bad name. They set up a sting with the county health department because the operation at Moe's isn't licensed to sell food (edibles).

There's a sight gag here that I think is worthy of Classic Simpsons.

The health department sends Marge in with a huge bottle of cheese balls to set a trap where if one of his customers eats one, they can bust him. Tatum opens a swank pot resort and Homer confronts her in front of all the celebrities there that she's selling weed but has never tried it. She does some liquid stuff (the show weirdly cuts away from this so I guess they can't show anyone doing weed). Homer tries to light a vape pen and it explodes and burns down the resort.

Celebrity cameos: Billy Porter (who?), Chelsea Pereti, Kevin Smith

This one was actually OK by nuSimpsons standards

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

My name Harry my vocal cords are scarry

spaceblancmange fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Mar 24, 2020

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Did disney+ restore the 4:3 aspect ratio in the end? Contemplating getting it now it's finally in the UK

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
gently caress the aspect ratio, where are the hundreds of eps worth of commentary they took down from Simpsons world?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

spaceblancmange posted:

My name Harry my vocal cords are scarry

Disco Elysium spoilers much??

now I'm picturing a crossover

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Every character is overly animated in a really unpleasant fashion

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

bitterandtwisted posted:

Did disney+ restore the 4:3 aspect ratio in the end? Contemplating getting it now it's finally in the UK

Not yet

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The burlesque house came up before as a premise that was kind of anachronistic even at the time (I think kinda given away by the lady's outfit being more Victorian looking) but does make me wonder how many other key parts of the show are time capsules. Kids still reading comic books, for starters. And the Krusty the Clown Show is something that had its last gasp in the 90s as a variety show for kids with cartoons between skits, though kinda funny that Classic Krusty has the show change significantly over the decades. (How it went from a talk show to a kids show is another story altogether)

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
They had to go anachronistic with the “burlesque house” for the censors

That’s why grandpa and jasper have to clarify amongst themselves they are NOT talking about the bordello. The other way to read it is they are 100% talking about the same thing, just confused as to what a “burlesque” house actually is

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Kids still reading comic books, for starters.

I.. think kids still read comics. at least they seem to at the library, back when those were still open

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
This might seem a little backwards but kids in far out rural areas still read comic books at basically the same rate as they did 10-20 years ago. I mean I can remember 10-12 years ago kids at my school were just as likely to read comic books as they were to play any type of video games.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Last Chance posted:

I.. think kids still read comics. at least they seem to at the library, back when those were still open

They're called graphic novels now.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Who What Now posted:

They're called manga now.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The burlesque house came up before as a premise that was kind of anachronistic even at the time (I think kinda given away by the lady's outfit being more Victorian looking) but does make me wonder how many other key parts of the show are time capsules. Kids still reading comic books, for starters. And the Krusty the Clown Show is something that had its last gasp in the 90s as a variety show for kids with cartoons between skits, though kinda funny that Classic Krusty has the show change significantly over the decades. (How it went from a talk show to a kids show is another story altogether)

The idea that Homer and Marge are now Millennials or very near to it weirds me out with how anachronistic that now feels

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I haven't been to any burlesque houses, but I've been going to my local twice-yearly burlesque show ever since I heard about it because that group kicks major rear end

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

vegetables posted:

The idea that Homer and Marge are now Millennials or very near to it weirds me out with how anachronistic that now feels

It's why I felt the best solution to the Apu problem would be to cancel the show outright. Nearly all the characters are anachronistic in one way or another.

I accept that it'll never go away with Disney owning it. Cancel it now. Wait five years, reboot it as a 90s period show. Keep Julie Kavner away for her health.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

King of the Hill had the good sense of ending when it got to the point where it wouldn't make sense for a Vietnam War draft eligible aged man could have a middle school aged son with his high school sweetheart.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Detective No. 27 posted:

I accept that it'll never go away with Disney owning it. Cancel it now. Wait five years, reboot it as a 90s period show. Keep Julie Kavner away for her health.

I think Disney is actually more likely to pull the plug. They're actively damaging the brand with the new seasons, and you can try a reboot in like 5-10 years, but you gotta make it go away to start the clock.

New episodes have been actively losing money for years, but Fox made it work because the licensing deals recouped the losses. Their very old syndication deals (from the 90s) say they can't syndicate it as long as Fox is making new Simpsons. Disney actually stands to make a ton by canceling it, getting rid of those deals, and striking new ones.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I assume they're going to Star Wars it

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

PostNouveau posted:

New episodes have been actively losing money for years, but Fox made it work because the licensing deals recouped the losses. Their very old syndication deals (from the 90s) say they can't syndicate it as long as Fox is making new Simpsons. Disney actually stands to make a ton by canceling it, getting rid of those deals, and striking new ones.

Uh, The Simpsons was in syndication for a long rear end time. I couldn't tell you if anyone still carries it because there isn't a local station carrying reruns, but for a while here in Cincinnati, it was on at around 1:30 in the morning.

Back in Kansas they had a 6:00pm block while I lived there, and when I lived in Seattle, in the 90's, there were two back to back epsides at 6:00pm.

I don't think that it's not that it can't be syndicated, it's that no one wants to anymore. Back when I lived in Seattle, that's how I watched most of the episodes, and to us, the worst thing that could have happened was getting a season 1 episode. Now, there's so many bad episodes, it's just going to be ratings poison for any time of day.

EDIT:
Doing the math, at 673 episodes, running a single episode each week night, would take 2 years, 2 months, 1 week, and 2 days to cycle through all the seasons, with only 9 months and two weeks worth of episodes that anyone really wants to watch (seasons 2-9)

Iron Crowned fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Mar 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Simpsons is one of the few shows that actually managed to outlive the period of people watching it based on sheer inertia.