Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

XJS maybe? they're pretty simple in terms of chassis electronics, the actual platform is solid outside of the electronics.

it definitely checks the unreliability box. at one point they had a Hydramatic and later on a 4L80Eso it should be easily adaptable to GM bolt patterns.
Yeah, the idea was inspired by a former roommate almost buying a 350 swapped XJ12. Those are high on the list of possibilities and definitely seem like the most well documented of these kinds of things.

I'm 95% sure an E31 or E32 would be relatively easy and about 80% sure an E38 would be doable at least as far as getting to a driveable car, how close to full original functionality could be achieved is a bit less certain.

I was eyeing early '90s Bentleys and RRs which wouldn't have been V12 of course but would have still been awesome luxo-tanks, then I found out about the hydraulic suspension and decided the correct answer is to admire those from a distance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i honestly think the XJS will be much more amenable to having Pure American Muscle stuffed in it (owing to frequency of swap) than the BMWs but bape probably has more actual practical knowledge

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

NitroSpazzz posted:

Buy that 7 series, chop it into a ute. Drive it until that engine and everything associated with it fail then swap it.

I think that ship sailed already man.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I think the frequency of swap comes down to the M60/62 being a pretty reliable engine, so you don't really get as many opportunities for swaps, really the problem is everything around the drivetrain falling apart in those cars

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

BaT Drinking Game: pick a car and take a shot every time some shitbird asks about the common issues with it. Rod bearings, timing chain guides, subframe, IMS, etc. Gotta bring that poo poo up a million times in every auction!

This game will kill you.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Big Taint posted:

BaT Drinking Game: pick a car and take a shot every time some shitbird asks about the common issues with it. Rod bearings, timing chain guides, subframe, IMS, etc. Gotta bring that poo poo up a million times in every auction!

This game will kill you.
something about pinned water lines in 911 turbos? Tail lights in CTS-V wagons. It's absolutely absurd.

e: I saw some seller lose his poo poo in a recent thread and offer to provide a commenter a "garden hose to connect the exhaust to the cabin" if the commenter bought the car.

gvibes fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 25, 2020

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

gvibes posted:

something about pinned water lines in 911 turbos? Tail lights in CTS-V wagons. It's absolutely absurd.

Devil's advocate -- the seller should know about the common issues and make sure they are addressed in the listing / first post.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

gvibes posted:

e: I saw some seller lose his poo poo in a recent thread and offer to provide a commenter a "garden hose to connect the exhaust to the cabin" if the commenter bought the car.

Lmao

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Residency Evil posted:

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1650557&page=3

Fuuuck this keeps dropping. I'm supposed to go to a wedding in Asheville in a few weeks and may need to check this out, although the fact that people seem to keep bailing on him after seeing it is worrying.

You really should go see it at least. It's irritating the pics he posted of the fix are while it's wet, but a) it's 100% cosmetic damage, and b) I can't imagine someone caring about a car as much as this guy obviously did and then taking it to a lovely body shop. The car probably was garaged and therefore simple for the repaint to match the original factory code perfectly.

That seems like a complete steal at this price even with the uncertainty in the air. Get a credit union to give you a wildly low rate loan on it if you're concerned about taking a bath financially and not being able to afford it long-term... then worst case scenario we all live in Mad Max land, but at least you have a V8 interceptor to flee from creditors.

Make sure you DO drive a DCT one first though! I am very glad I drove both before purchasing the better match for the S65's speed to redline (DCT), but rowing gears will be cool too and are just as valid for burnouts.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Ether Frenzy posted:

You really should go see it at least. It's irritating the pics he posted of the fix are while it's wet, but a) it's 100% cosmetic damage, and b) I can't imagine someone caring about a car as much as this guy obviously did and then taking it to a lovely body shop. The car probably was garaged and therefore simple for the repaint to match the original factory code perfectly.

That seems like a complete steal at this price even with the uncertainty in the air. Get a credit union to give you a wildly low rate loan on it if you're concerned about taking a bath financially and not being able to afford it long-term... then worst case scenario we all live in Mad Max land, but at least you have a V8 interceptor to flee from creditors.

Make sure you DO drive a DCT one first though! I am very glad I drove both before purchasing the better match for the S65's speed to redline (DCT), but rowing gears will be cool too and are just as valid for burnouts.

The real issue is that my wife is getting a new car next year, so I'll be getting her current car as a hand-me-down to use as our new beater, and I don't want to get rid of my current fun car that lives in my garage spot. Serious problems, I know.

Contacted him for pictures just in case. There'd be something great about owning a 2011 Spyder and 2011 E90 M3 at the same time.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

meatpimp posted:

Devil's advocate -- the seller should know about the common issues and make sure they are addressed in the listing / first post.

I agree. That being said, the BAT people write the post and even though the seller may mention known issues it may not be included in the text, which is stupid.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Residency Evil posted:

The real issue is that my wife is getting a new car next year, so I'll be getting her current car as a hand-me-down to use as our new beater, and I don't want to get rid of my current fun car that lives in my garage spot. Serious problems, I know.

Contacted him for pictures just in case. There'd be something great about owning a 2011 Spyder and 2011 E90 M3 at the same time.

quote:

no problem. i see you were interested in it in the past. Car is as strong as ever…. just had a new alternator put in it and battery at the dealer…. car should be good for 18-24 months (20k-25k miles) before some things will need attention - control arm bushings will be first, rear main seal is a little damp, valve covers, rear brakes, and rear tires. They aren’t bad yet. Dealer said they would wait until the car needs another big service before even touching them. Clutch still feels fine and I don’t see why it won’t last another 60k-70k miles. I’m just ready for a change, leaning 911 at this point - but it will be extremely hard to sell my M3

He sent me pictures of the front of the car. Some mild peppering of the front, but the clear coat looks good. Some mild curb rash on two wheels. 130k miles or so.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Mar 25, 2020

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Incessant bitching by the Porsche people alone drained all the fun out of BaT for me years ago.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
just like youtube dont read the comments, easy fix

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
The problem is that they were occasionally useful or informative, now its just wealthy daytrader jackoffs beating their dicks. Hopefully the coming poo poo storm fixes that. :chaostrump:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So remember that Z4 I was asking about awhile back? Well the woman selling it just texted me and offered to take $2500 off the price because she's moving in two days (yikes) the car was pretty much perfect besides the whole "sticky steering" issue which I guess is DIY fixable. So $6300 then with 57k miles. Can't decide on this or a similar year and mileage Miata for 1K less.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Applebees Appetizer posted:

So remember that Z4 I was asking about awhile back? Well the woman selling it just texted me and offered to take $2500 off the price because she's moving in two days (yikes) the car was pretty much perfect besides the whole "sticky steering" issue which I guess is DIY fixable. So $6300 then with 57k miles. Can't decide on this or a similar year and mileage Miata for 1K less.

Tell her $5k cash. She'll take it if she's really moving in 2 days. Buy it and never look back.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I have never owned a BMW before :ohdear:

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

There seems to be an inverse proportion between the weight and the price, controlled for age. For BMWs generally.

I have never owned a BMW before :ohdear:

We all float down here.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

meatpimp posted:

Tell her $5k cash. She'll take it if she's really moving in 2 days. Buy it and never look back.

I can ask you this because you've owned Miatas and BMWs.....Would you rather own an NB Miata or a Z4?

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

I can ask you this because you've owned Miatas and BMWs.....Would you rather own an NB Miata or a Z4?

Street? Z4. Track? Miata.

Source: current Z4MC / previous Miata owner

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah the plan was to autoX a Miata if i got one......Dunno if I'd want to do that in a Z4 I think I'd rather have a Miata for that.

Price is tempting for the Z4 but I can probably get a nice Miata cheap too.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Yeah the plan was to autoX a Miata if i got one......Dunno if I'd want to do that in a Z4 I think I'd rather have a Miata for that.

Price is tempting for the Z4 but I can probably get a nice Miata cheap too.

I'd take a Z4 every day over a Miata with price not being a variable.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

that color is dope too

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
So one of the tires on my m2 has a hole in it and the tires that came from the factory are discontinued. What is the tire of choice these days? Pirelli p-0? Pilot Super Sport?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

PS4S

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

fyallm posted:

So one of the tires on my m2 has a hole in it and the tires that came from the factory are discontinued. What is the tire of choice these days? Pirelli p-0? Pilot Super Sport?

Why does this M2 haver lack a glove guy avatar

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i say go for the z4 and maybe see if she'll drop the price a bit more. it probably wont have an lsd but a lot of mx5's dont have them either, right?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Mods!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

this assumes you live in a warmer climate where PS4S are usable for more than like 3 weeks. if you live in a frozen northern shithole, buy PS A/S 3+.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

this assumes you live in a warmer climate where PS4S are usable for more than like 3 weeks. if you live in a frozen northern shithole, buy PS A/S 3+.

what the hell? i have been fine running PS4S and dedicated snow tires in Boston and Michigan

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

I usually drive my jeep once they start throwing salt everywhere.

PS4S it is, thanks everyone!

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Congrats on your new BMW. You live in Florida right? That is a Florida car.

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010
Honestly if you want a car to enjoy driving, buy the Z4M. If you're going to build a dedicated track car buy the Miata. I'm not saying I don't love driving my Miata but unless you're in love with driving a rattle trap shitbox around and shouting at your passengers to have a conversation buy the Bmw. Orrrr buy both, I would buy both.

Diametunim fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 26, 2020

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

what the hell? i have been fine running PS4S and dedicated snow tires in Boston and Michigan
i managed to talk to some guy who is a full-time tire tester, and he submits that PS4S crack easily at near-freezing temps. in new england, that leaves you like 3.5 months when summer tires are what you want to run. that's why I bought the A/S 3+, which, for what it's worth, function pretty well in the snow.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Got my "Dad car" 2016 535 (36k miles) cleaned up. I've only put like 200 miles on it since I got it in November.

The Dunlop RFT's aren't horrible, but I'm gonna ditch them very soon for PS4S anyway, and probably get some Koni Sports within a few months. I have some painted front reflectors, but have been too lazy to put them on. Also have the Skene Design front license plate mount ready to go (I'm in NorCal) but I'm probably going to wait and see how long I can go without getting a fix-it-ticket before installing it. I'm not really missing the 2013 535 MT that much, except for the adjustable dampers and I actually prefer the Dakota leather that was in it over the slippery Nappa in the 2016.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 26, 2020

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I run a set of PS4Ss on my E46 effectively year-round in the PNW. I have a second set of wheels with snow tires as well, but I didn't even bother putting them on this year since we got nearly zero lowland snow this year -- and a few friends got new cars recently that are better to go skiing with.

They are completely fine for normal driving in our typical 40-and-raining "winters". This is my third or fourth set of Pilot Sport series tires on this car, and I'll keep buying them because they are simply the best. But once real snow & ice is on the ground abandon all hope.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
PS4S do fine below freezing if there's no precipitation. You have to account for there being less grip, but they aren't one of the super soft tires that turn rock hard and will shred themselves in the cold. I tossed my summer set back on yesterday since the ski resorts are all closed and we're hopefully done with snow on the plains.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Keyser_Soze posted:

Got my "Dad car" 2016 535 (36k miles) cleaned up. I've only put like 200 miles on it since I got it in November.

The Dunlop RFT's aren't horrible, but I'm gonna ditch them very soon for PS4S anyway, and probably get some Koni Sports within a few months. I have some painted front reflectors, but have been too lazy to put them on. Also have the Skene Design front license plate mount ready to go (I'm in NorCal) but I'm probably going to wait and see how long I can go without getting a fix-it-ticket before installing it. I'm not really missing the 2013 535 MT that much, except for the adjustable dampers and I actually prefer the Dakota leather that was in it over the slippery Nappa in the 2016.

Looks great! Really like the F10 - would love to grab the M5 one day if I can ever afford the maintenance on it and decide I'm sick of manuals. Did you have the coyote brown leather in your older car? I'm in love with that color.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i managed to talk to some guy who is a full-time tire tester, and he submits that PS4S crack easily at near-freezing temps. in new england, that leaves you like 3.5 months when summer tires are what you want to run. that's why I bought the A/S 3+, which, for what it's worth, function pretty well in the snow.

may, june, july, august, september is five months