Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

John Murdoch posted:

g...gottem...?

It's so bad it doesn't deserve a higher-quality burn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

END ME SCOOB posted:

As someone who just 100%ed Shadow recently (literally the week of the final update patch, in fact, they had to bugfix a treasure for me to do so), I'll definitely say it's the weakest of the three, but it's not garbage? It's just got three incredibly bad ideas bundled into it.

a) gently caress that village so hard. It's big, it is weirdly unoptimized (swimming back to it from a side dungeon at one point it actually made the game pop up a "NOW LOADING" message over my screen), and about 60% of the game takes place in or directly around it, which leads into...
b) "We went to all the trouble of making a cool mix and match set of gear for bonuses and dress-up and we're locking you into a region where you must wear one of 3 outfits all game long. And one of those three is DLC. And if you ever visit this area we're going to auto-equip one of those three over whatever you had on."
c) Combat, especially if you like to be a stealthy hunter, is better than ever. The tombs are better than ever. The game has decided to balance these by going about 30/70 on them and the massive weight of the tombs (not counting the fresh DLC stuff that's all designed around one concept apiece and makes a tiny mini-campaign, which rule) mean that you miss combat more and the tombs become very, very repetitive by endgame if you're not spacing them out with... nothing, there's nothing else.

If you dug the last two, I'd say it's worth it, especially cheap (and ESPECIALLY with the DLC, which owns), but holy poo poo it is no contest which entry in the new stuff is the weakest now that this exists. However, just like the last two games, when it goes all in on combat for a little while, it does kick rear end (looking at you oil rig sequence)

i like the new tomb raider games but it's quite offputting how they kept redesigning lara's face in each one. also i felt bad for the severely friendzoned sidekick character

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

In the latest one they gave him a love interest character to make up for all the times he's been almost and quite literally killed thanks to Lara.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
100% Orange Juice is 100% Free right now. It's probably one of the funniest "have fun and rage at your friends" kind of games/boardgames around, like Mario Party except replace the minigames with a series of unfortunate events that make you wish you were dead.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/282800/100_Orange_Juice/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPwGGe9V-ZU

Also free, from the same guys, is Acceleration of Suguri 2, which is a schmup with a peculiar concept of fighting in enclosed areas, and 200% Mixed Juice which is like a visual novel. Both of them are alright and unlock extra characters in 100% Orange Juice so it's a good idea to get them all.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/390710/Acceleration_of_SUGURI_2/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/335190/200_Mixed_Juice/

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Maybe I'll buy Breakpoint with this patch. I liked Wildlands and would have liked a refined version of it, but they made the (release version of the) game worse in pretty much every way with their RPG/GaaS focus. My frame of reference is base Wildlands though, I never bothered with the additional operative levels and multiplayer "seasons" they kept adding to it.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Serephina posted:

It doesn't take eight minutes to say the game is pretty, especially as that's something you can tell from trailers and whatnot. The review gets into the nuts & bolts from there, which is what we want alongside his subjective opinions, it was just a lot of wasted time about how much he liked the garbled mumbling.

Except he doesn't just gush, he notes that it looks more or less the part for what's half the price of a AAA game, a little drab even when it comes to environments, specifies how well executed the character models are, goes into how great the soundtrack and sound effects are by letting a few examples speak for themselves, etc... It's like you've never seen a video review that leads with technical stuff like graphics/audio before gameplay, it's a pretty common format.

It also feels like an incredible waste of time and posts to complain that he enjoyed the way the Mechanicus voices were handled and the fact he wanted to get that across to the viewer when that's exactly the kind of immersive detail that gives a lot more personality to the experience and he gets through it in like a dozen or so seconds. :psyduck:

KazigluBey fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 26, 2020

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Anno posted:

That tileset being made for the Steam launch of Dwarf Fortress looks pretty nice.

They look like ripped rpgmaker assets.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Did anyone here play Iron Danger and form an opinion?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

baka kaba posted:

Oh someone mentioned GTA IV removing Games for Windows Live or whatever, but the bigger news is they updated it to a Complete edition - so everyone has the game and Episodes from Liberty City DLCs if you had one of those things before, if you're into that

Gotta hand it to 2K to call it the "Complete Edition" after they ripped a bunch of features and content from the game.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

Anyways I got it for 17$ and it's absolutely baller. My favorite thing about the "immersion" difficulty is that instead of giving you glowing waypoints to objectives you get directions. Like - I just had to find someone standing at a gravesite so the mission told me "It's in this province, in the south-west area, along this beach" and I had to go hunting for it the hard way. Or I had to find a muzzle attachment "in y province's south, south of the forest, in checkpoint tiger bravo"

It's a little thing but it's so much fun.

hell ya, that feature is in AC:Odyssey as well and its really great. Helps a lot with getting into the environments and layout of the map. Its surprisingly good at getting you where you need to go anyways too. My friends gave me poo poo when we played together for using the feature but i was almost always able to put a custom waypoint within ~40 meters from where their objective waypoint was at (they can play with different difficulty settings and thus opted to not use that feature)

havent played Breakpoint since they dropped this new patch so im excited to get my crew together and see how the new difficulty setting has changed things. It looks like it addresses most of the issues we had before we stopped playing

ScootsMcSkirt fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 26, 2020

admataY
Oct 16, 2008
World War Z is a surprise free game on EGS, heard its decent and I cant really argue with that price so im gonna check it out .

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

exquisite tea posted:

In the latest one they gave him a love interest character to make up for all the times he's been almost and quite literally killed thanks to Lara.

I actually thought it was kind of interesting to see them develop that I'm Shadow. It totally worked for me and thought the writing and development of Jonah's evolving character was probably the high point of the game's writing. Too bad about the rest of the cliched hacky plot.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Attempted a few runs and I like One Step From Eden a lot but it is indeed really hard. If you played the Megaman Battle Network games, imagine it picks up around where those games leave off, with the boss of the first zone of the game being almost as hard as a lot of endgame encounters from those. There seems to be a lot to do, too, with tons of unlockable characters, cards, enemies, events, etc. The battle system has a lot of depth but right now I feel like I don't have the reflexes to fully explore it -- there are a lot of synergistic abilities that do things like lock down enemies, create hazards on their side of the board, build turrets/constructions, turn hazards on your own side of the board into advantages, etc etc but combat moves so quickly that it's difficult for me to do much other than focus on dodging attacks and hitting the opponent with my own. Lol, apparently this is also AFTER a day one patch that turned the difficulty down a little bit, which hasn't yet made it to the Switch version of the game, so I don't even know how people playing on there are handling it.

edit: Ah, and one of the first unlocks you get is an alternate kit for the starting character that gives her an ability that slows down time. That's going to help learning the game a lot! This feels very thoughtfully made the more that I play.

goferchan fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 26, 2020

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

admataY posted:

World War Z is a surprise free game on EGS, heard its decent and I cant really argue with that price so im gonna check it out .

Hmm, yeah parts of this game looked alright but not enough to pay for it. I already have far too much poo poo to play right now but might as well throw this one on the pile too.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

DrNutt posted:

I actually thought it was kind of interesting to see them develop that I'm Shadow. It totally worked for me and thought the writing and development of Jonah's evolving character was probably the high point of the game's writing. Too bad about the rest of the cliched hacky plot.

Has Rhianna Pratchett written anything good? I'd feel bad about judging her on TR if there was some actually good stuff she's done.

e: Mirrors Edge. Hrm.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider has a bunch of instances of Lara calling what are clearly regular guys in big hats "creatures" and it's the most British she's ever sounded

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Rhianna Pratchett is famous for a writing a bunch of video game stories that are supposedly really good, but we'll never know because every single time she didn't have the clout to keep more than 1% of it in the released game.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Karma Tornado posted:

Shadow of the Tomb Raider has a bunch of instances of Lara calling what are clearly regular guys in big hats "creatures" and it's the most British she's ever sounded

I mean... They are skittering on cave walls like Gollum on speed. Once they do the reveal it's clear that they are human but it's definitely one of those things where they are doing a "are they supernatural or not??" bait and switch.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Underhero is a really cute 2D game with Paper Mario inspired combat.

I really liked the game. I got to this ghost mansion where you have to find the 5 ghosts, and couldn't ind one so I completely lost interest in the game. I like the sound effects it lifted from Sonic 3.

Here is a key for the game:
KFJVW-809YL-QNDV9

Do you like getting free steam games or getting rid of extra ones? We have a thread for that. Check it out every time there is a big bundle. For example now is a great time to get those Resident Evil Revelations.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3513572

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

wow that was still available like 9 minutes later. thanks ill try it out

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

DatonKallandor posted:

Rhianna Pratchett is famous for a writing a bunch of video game stories that are supposedly really good, but we'll never know because every single time she didn't have the clout to keep more than 1% of it in the released game.

what a terrible coincidence that keeps happening

I mean, it's just like baseline videogame glurge i guess.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I think for Mirror's Edge in particular they told her what the levels were and she had to invent a story that would make them work. Must be a bit tricky.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

so one step from eden is included in humble choice this month but its a drm free copy? is there any way to see all the possible options without buying it? im only seeing previous months. i havent really looked at this since it changed over from the old monthly system.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Awesome! posted:

so one step from eden is included in humble choice this month but its a drm free copy? is there any way to see all the possible options without buying it? im only seeing previous months. i havent really looked at this since it changed over from the old monthly system.
Looks like it's a free "sneak peek," whatever that means. It'll be in your humble library.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Awesome! posted:

Downloading it it's listed as "exclusive demo". It's not the full game.

It says a lot about how good Humble is at publicity that this apparently got added 3/4 and nobody noticed or began talking it up until the game itself released.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Awesome! posted:

idk should be listed somewhere

DRM free are ONE STEP FROM EDEN EXCLUSIVE SNEAK PEEK and SPACE ROUTINE

Only registered members can see post attachments!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

State of Decay 2: just beat it for the third time. I've got 41 hours in it, and still have one more map to see. God I love this game. Dread difficulty was a real welcome challenge after normal, and I think I'm ready for the hardest one next. Note that it's built to encourage multiple playthroughs - you get bonuses for winning runs that can apply to the next ones, and you can bring the same group of survivors through.

This is the action-simulation zombie game I have always wanted and I'm so glad I have it. :D

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Yep! No gear score, headshots kill basically instantly (except some guys wear helmets and i hate them)

I go around looking like this:

and it's a delightful time.

Man, they really hosed up on this game. I was looking forward to playing Breakpoint when they were hyping it up, and the entire game looks like a lazy cash grab.

You know they hosed up when they have to take something that worked in Wildlands, bring it back and have to repackage as a patch, all because someone thought gearscore would work. I also heard that they are going to add NPC squadmates. Y'know, like loving WILDLANDS. It's even worse than a lazy cash grab, they are slowly changing the game to something that was before.

Even if they did change it, I saw the fade to black cutscenes, the obvious dialogue system cribbed from Odyssey, the awkward cringe dialogue. I don't think i'd even pay money for this game.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Fargin Icehole posted:

Man, they really hosed up on this game. I was looking forward to playing Breakpoint when they were hyping it up, and the entire game looks like a lazy cash grab.

You know they hosed up when they have to take something that worked in Wildlands, bring it back and have to repackage as a patch, all because someone thought gearscore would work. I also heard that they are going to add NPC squadmates. Y'know, like loving WILDLANDS. It's even worse than a lazy cash grab, they are slowly changing the game to something that was before.

Even if they did change it, I saw the fade to black cutscenes, the obvious dialogue system cribbed from Odyssey, the awkward cringe dialogue. I don't think i'd even pay money for this game.

I try to go into Ubisoft games with zero expectations. Well, more than zero - I know they're going to have collectibles, maps to explore, and generally pretty scenery. But then I expect everything else to be shoddy, so it's a real nice surprise when things turn out good. (AssCreed Origins, Wildlands, Watch Dogs 2) And in the current age, do NOT preorder them, they're going to be games as service with lots of missing content that will be created and put in as the game gets made.

And like, that's fine, that's good for my backlog - but I do wish they'd get their poo poo together. You'd think something like "sequel to wildlands should be tactical with no gear levels" would be obvious, but... no. They had to cross the streams with Division 2, because. (ps when's a new splinter cell dropping)

Anyways, you should try out Breakpoint now because it rules and I'm gonna play more of it tonight. Just be sure to turn on immersion mode.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

No, I'm being too negative. I generally like Ubisoft games. They have a formula they stick to, and for the most part it's very fun for me. I like tooling around exploring maps and collecting things. I'm okay at ignoring bad plots. And Ubisoft consistently delivers with maps that are fun to explore, regardless of the franchise - even their car game (the Crew) is fun to drive around and explore, and the Crew 2 suffered for doing more car stuff and minimizing their awesome huge map.

Yeah, they make the classic missteps that AAA devs make - they chase current trends too hard, there is often a design by committee problem, and so on - but overall I'd be happier preordering one of their games than I would be almost any other AAA dev. But of course with the caveat that day 1 of their games is going to miss all of the bits and bobs they add in over the next few years, and it might go through a Paradox-style total rework. It's often safest to wait a year or two before diving in.

Anywyas, uplay+ exists, so if you're the type who likes to rent games, for 15$ a month you can check out basically all of their stuff and it's awesome.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Ubisoft's biggest problem is that every game they make is basically the same game, with some release-specific features and gimmicks tacked on top. It's not even that The Ubisoft Game is in and of itself a bad game, but after the first four or five of them, it kind of starts to get old. To seasoned players, Ubisoft games tend to look worse than they really are because the only thing people really take note of anymore are the things that make each game unique, and that often isn't all that much.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Does World of Horror do anything mechanically innovative or neat, or is the appeal mainly about it being a solid execution of old-school turn-based JRPG stuff combined with junji ito/lovecraft vibes?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

DatonKallandor posted:

Didn't she do some writing for the Divinity series?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
No the Ubisoft problem is that they actually make quite a few good open world games now, but since they're made by different teams and these teams don't seem to communicate or learn from each other they keep making games with problems that another Ubisoft game has already solved, so they feel dated and bad

Their - IMO - best non-service open world games are Watch Dogs 2, Assassins Creed Origins and Odyssey. They came out in late 2016, 2017 and 2018. Ghost Recon Wildlands came out in early 2017 and FarCry 5 in early 2018 and in many ways both feel like the old style of Ubisoft collectible farming games like eg. FarCry 3/4/Primal or AssCreed Unity. There's no excuse FarCry 5 didn't learn anything from even Watch Dogs 2 and Ghost Recon Breakpoint came out after everything else, being a step back in every way from Wildlands is absolutely mindboggling (except for the fact that it was probably mandated to be some sort of GaaS/lootbox trap, but even for that it was a few months late and they managed to release open world games without overly blatant monetization just fine for a while).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

DatonKallandor posted:

Didn't she "write" the Overlord series' plots too?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

orcane posted:

No the Ubisoft problem is that they actually make quite a few good open world games now, but since they're made by different teams and these teams don't seem to communicate or learn from each other they keep making games with problems that another Ubisoft game has already solved, so they feel dated and bad

Their - IMO - best non-service open world games are Watch Dogs 2, Assassins Creed Origins and Odyssey. They came out in late 2016, 2017 and 2018. Ghost Recon Wildlands came out in early 2017 and FarCry 5 in early 2018 and in many ways both feel like the old style of Ubisoft collectible farming games like eg. FarCry 3/4/Primal or AssCreed Unity. There's no excuse FarCry 5 didn't learn anything from even Watch Dogs 2 and Ghost Recon Breakpoint came out after everything else, being a step back in every way from Wildlands is absolutely mindboggling (except for the fact that it was probably mandated to be some sort of GaaS/lootbox trap, but even for that it was a few months late and they managed to release open world games without overly blatant monetization just fine for a while).

This is good analysis but it's also making me itch to go get Far Cry 5 because I am the exact target audience for collectible farming. I don't even care what I'm collecting just give me a big pretty map to go collect things on.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Omi no Kami posted:

Does World of Horror do anything mechanically innovative or neat, or is the appeal mainly about it being a solid execution of old-school turn-based JRPG stuff combined with junji ito/lovecraft vibes?

Hm, I would compare the gameplay almost to a (admittedly kind of excessive) board game than I would an old-school JRPG. Combat is in the game, but most of what you're doing is managing your resources in order to respond as effectively as possible to random events, and (until you've learned everything and it becomes purely about the mechanical aspect) working your way through some pretty cool puzzles. I really like the game and I'm glad I got it, but one of the features that shows the most unique promise to me is events in one case affecting future ones -- like right now, currently in the game there's a thing where during one case you can take an option that burns down the local highschool, and if you accept a later case that takes place in the school it will play out totally differently as, well, you burned it to the ground. There's not too much of that right now but apparently a lot more interactions like that are on the table as the game progresses through early access, and it's one of the things I'm most looking forward to, so maybe wait a while to check it out if you're not completely sold on just the art and atmosphere? Another thing I really like is that the game was also built from the ground up with moddability in mind and the last patch included steam workshop support. It's meant to be very very easy for players to add in new enemies, new events, or even build new stories and cases from the ground up in a very modular way, basically like shuffling in an "expansion deck" of cards in a physical game. I really look forward to seeing what people do there!

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Does the Steam version of Space Engine come with all the solar system texture packs that you used to have to pay for if you had the free version from the website?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

RBA Starblade posted:

Didn't she "write" the Overlord series' plots too?

Yeah, and IIRC they were pretty much like all the other games she's worked with: handles the basic story and dialogues well enough, but offers no great or clever moments. I can't honestly remember a single good joke in either of those games.

(They're still better than your average "comedy" video games)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

goferchan posted:

It's meant to be very very easy for players to add in new enemies, new events, or even build new stories and cases from the ground up in a very modular way, basically like shuffling in an "expansion deck" of cards in a physical game. I really look forward to seeing what people do there!

I really dig that that's how it is when you go for a custom game: Just picking from a bunch of packs of cards while the clerk stands there, smiling. I really like the atmosphere of World of Horror and I look forward to hopefully winning a game for once lol