Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I don't think it was that well produced or acted overall either to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I just watched most of the first nine episodes of this so chose to binge at just the right time with the final episode being released.

It really feels like they took a Star Trek (TNG) episode concept (maybe even a two parter) and tried to fill in all the bits around what would normally be key plot moments in that episode, spread it over the galaxy, and were letting the machinations around what needed to be done be worked out on screen and in action rather than be resolved with a pithy speech. Then, mixed throughout were all the character moments you'd get across a season of Star Trek. If there was a Star Trek two-parter where synthetic life launched a beacon (attracting both the Federation and the Romulans) and they had a show down with a previously secretive people in the middle it'd be TNG through and through. Instead they had it be detailed with ups and downs, and fleshed out with action, highlights, distractions and downtime. I'm sure there's someone working on a supercut at this moment turning it into a film length TNG episode.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Tighclops posted:

I don't think it was that well produced or acted overall either to be honest.

The production was a big step down from Discovery. Everything in the show looked cheap. The budget must have been much lower.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I don't know what show you're watching where "everything looked cheap" but the copy-pasted fleets in the last episode were loving embarrassing and it should have been like 8-10 ships on both sides max, allowing for some variation in ship models. Someone clearly though NO we need HUNDREDS OF SHIPS because it's BIGGER NUMBER.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Saw the episode with the Dyson Sphere the other day. Could of had the Romulans move into that after their star exploded and found out the advanced civilization there was wiped out by their own synthetic lifeforms and originated the plot from there.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
The Battle of Wolf 359 had 5x fewer ships lol

I'm ultimately okay with the show, but it feels like a weird mishmash where for every good thing we got, there was a bad thing spoiling it. I'm happy it wasn't a Lore reveal, but handwaving away another Soong just felt weird. I loved Riker showing up and kicking rear end, but it was at the head of a giant fleet of cookie-cutter ships and was kinda blah. I'm glad they didn't straight up bring Data back, but on the other hand Picard is dead and a photocopy is walking around (yes, yes, the trouble with transporters is a thing but still). I'm glad we got more Picard stuff overall, but feel kinda blah about the state of the galaxy in a post-Voyager universe.

CBS please greenlight The New Adventures of Captain Fat Riker, thanks.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
why the gently caress did you fuckers have to remind that Q existed, I almost hate the show now.
bring John de Lancie back!!!!1111

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Lister posted:

Calling it now that it will tie into season 2 somehow.

I, meanwhile, am calling that it will never come up again.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

DrNutt posted:

I don't know what show you're watching where "everything looked cheap" but the copy-pasted fleets in the last episode were loving embarrassing and it should have been like 8-10 ships on both sides max, allowing for some variation in ship models. Someone clearly though NO we need HUNDREDS OF SHIPS because it's BIGGER NUMBER.

Set design was generally flat over all. Cube interiors had a shifting graphic sometimes but wasn't consistent. Overall, they were grey corridors. This works for a Borg cube but it doesn't change the fact that it would have been cheap to put together. Rios' ship is practically empty. Vjayle's club is a room with a few lightbulbs hanging down from the ceiling. The costumes are people wearing normal clothes. Replicator props are repurposed 3D printers.

Compare this to Disco and its intricate Klingon/Mirror universe/Orion opium den interiors. Look at the modern star fleet uniforms in STP versus Disco's. Look at how much SFX were casually used in Disco. They had way more money and/or time and it lead to a better production.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It was a decent finale. They didn't drop the ball as badly as I assumed they would have. I really enjoyed the conversation with Data. I can see why Spiner wouldn't want to play him anymore. I'd guess everything that could be explored with Data has already been explored, or could be continued with someone else. That frees him up to play a character that better fits his human aging. Knowing that it's not really possible for him to play Data anymore makes it understandable, but I would think Picard would at least want to be able to spend more time talking with his friend. And they were friends, no matter how much the guys at RLM keep screaming that they weren't. There are plenty of episodes where Picard is messing around on the holodeck with Data.

Also, we have the same walkman. Though, it seems he spray painted his gray. And the screws are still in transport configuration. I guess there's not much worry of bumping the turntable when you have the luxury of inertial dampeners, also it's a simulation.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

Martytoof posted:

I was really really really hoping that when Picard woke up after he died he would be sitting across from Q.

Not that the Data thing hadn’t worked well or anything, but Q out of nowhere would have given me some hope.

Right now I’m not sure I have even the slighted anticipation of season two. I mean, I’ll tune in like an obedient schmuck just to hatewatch I guess, but ehh.

Same.

Now, I thought I was jaded. But for some reason I just didn't expect them to kill Picard there. I mean, the show had been renewed. I didn’t think they’d pull that gimmick. So I thought they really offed him. I bawled like a child. Seriously. I just broke down. The fury of the tears, the hitching of breath... I couldn’t believe I had it in me. The feeling was intense and unfamiliar, I hadn’t done it in so long. And then they just undid it. They’ll never get that reaction from me again. They’ve hardened my heart, and it makes me despise them. I will always wish Patrick Stewart well, but gently caress this show.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Hmm, need to digest this. As has been said some elements feel wasted. The XB's especially should have been involved in the resolution. Was it established that the cube was partially in the ocean before this episode? Wonder if there were more effects shots along that line that they abandoned after Rise Of Skywalker.

Data's simulation breaking down with him imagining Picard there was touching. That would have been a perfect Q moment though, have Data laying down to wait for the end and a silhouetted figure comes and gently leads him away that isn't focused on but we recognise as Q's judgement garb. Would have been a nice resolution to the running theme throughout TNG where Q seemed to think of Data as less than human.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Lordshmee posted:

Same.

Now, I thought I was jaded. But for some reason I just didn't expect them to kill Picard there. I mean, the show had been renewed. I didn’t think they’d pull that gimmick. So I thought they really offed him. I bawled like a child. Seriously. I just broke down. The fury of the tears, the hitching of breath... I couldn’t believe I had it in me. The feeling was intense and unfamiliar, I hadn’t done it in so long. And then they just undid it. They’ll never get that reaction from me again. They’ve hardened my heart, and it makes me despise them. I will always wish Patrick Stewart well, but gently caress this show.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Lordshmee posted:

Same.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Allison Pill is a horrifically bad actress. Every time she's on screen is pain. And every scene with Soji and the male incest twin was soap-opera bad.

I love PStew, but he looks so old I don't know how long he can keep this up. Jeri Ryan is fantastic but she isn't the main character. I like Rios and his collection of emergency holograms.

I don't know what else to say about the show. I don't think it was very good overall. But it was good in places.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Lordshmee posted:

Same.

Yeah same when I watched Tapestry.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

FuturePastNow posted:

Allison Pill is a horrifically bad actress. Every time she's on screen is pain. And every scene with Soji and the male incest twin was soap-opera bad.

I love PStew, but he looks so old I don't know how long he can keep this up. Jeri Ryan is fantastic but she isn't the main character. I like Rios and his collection of emergency holograms.

I don't know what else to say about the show. I don't think it was very good overall. But it was good in places.

Rios was the only new thing on the show that worked because the guy has charisma, but he easily could have been dropped in any sci-fi universe and worked. Just make him a Disney spinoff like The Mandalorian.

edit- what was the most average episode of TNG made? Like the most generic one? I'm thinking maybe the one where Worf gets a barrel dropped on him and he wants to die. I don't know if I would rank this season ahead of that episode.

Fidel Cuckstro fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 27, 2020

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Conspiracy theory time: Remember how they resolved the Moriarty storyline? In a simulation where he believed he was alive and placed on a ship with a whole virtual universe to wander.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Man seeing Riker all cleaned up in the new uni and in the Captain's chair really makes me want to watch Captain Riker. Where is this show CBS????

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

FuturePastNow posted:

Allison Pill is a horrifically bad actress. Every time she's on screen is pain.

I think it's more her character is awful, but she wasn't exactly elevating the material either.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

Have I been owned? I had one weak point and the bastards punched it. I haven’t allowed any real people to gain that kind of purchase in my life, so I’ve been safe heretofore. Why yes, I have been drinking. You know what gently caress you. gently caress you all!

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Did they replicate some logs to start a fire just outside of the ship instead of using the holodeck???

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Senor Tron posted:

Conspiracy theory time: Remember how they resolved the Moriarty storyline? In a simulation where he believed he was alive and placed on a ship with a whole virtual universe to wander.

Someone mentioned Moriarty before (either here or on Reddit) and, in a more traditional ST show, that would be a cool two parter at some point. Moriarty somehow gets connected to the Starfleet internet and starts snooping around. He finds out that Picard is still kicking around and that he was turned into a robot and somehow traps him when picard connects to something. We wouldn't know at first, we just start off as a normal episode. And then suddenly La Sirena is hailed by Moriarty himself. Picard lets it slip that he thinks that he's still in the quantum simulation he was put in when he died and then Moriarty takes advantage of that. At some point it cuts to the real world where Jurati is trying to figure out why Picard has shut down for no reason. Moriarty experienced everything his little holocube had to offer and now wants his own synthetic body to finally experience the real world. He wants to steal Picard's body, and Picard wants to offer him one made in his own image. Picard is then stuck between the choice of unleashing this mastermind on the real universe, or somehow trapping him back in his limited world.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lordshmee posted:

Have I been owned? I had one weak point and the bastards punched it. I haven’t allowed any real people to gain that kind of purchase in my life, so I’ve been safe heretofore. Why yes, I have been drinking. You know what gently caress you. gently caress you all!

Never show weakness in the Star Trek thread. Crush your posting enemies. Victory is life!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Nitrousoxide posted:

Did they replicate some logs to start a fire just outside of the ship instead of using the holodeck???

Real fire tastes feels better.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I really don’t understand RLM insisting Picard and Data weren’t friends. It’s literally a huge part of their relationship in multiple episodes. Picard is Data’s mentor and teacher in humanity and he goes out of his way so many times to try and teach or guide him in the intricacies of social and cultural interactions. Neither of them ever literally faced the camera and said “You are my friend and companion” but both characters were extremely reserved. That’s just how they are.

What kind of idiot do you have to be to not interpret that as a form of genuine friendship?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I really don’t understand RLM insisting Picard and Data weren’t friends. It’s literally a huge part of their relationship in multiple episodes. Picard is Data’s mentor and teacher in humanity and he goes out of his way so many times to try and teach or guide him in the intricacies of social and cultural interactions. Neither of them ever literally faced the camera and said “You are my friend and companion” but both characters were extremely reserved. That’s just how they are.

What kind of idiot do you have to be to not interpret that as a form of genuine friendship?

Also three whole movies where there is a plot point of either "Picard risks his rear end for Data because Data is his friend" and/or "Data risks his rear end for Picard because Picard is his friend." First Contact explicitly calls it out too. Picard flat out says "There's someone still on this ship who helped me when I was assimilated and he means a great deal to me." And Lilly's reply is literally "Go find your friend."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

Also three whole movies where there is a plot point of either "Picard risks his rear end for Data because Data is his friend" and/or "Data risks his rear end for Picard because Picard is his friend." First Contact explicitly calls it out too. Picard flat out says "There's someone still on this ship who helped me when I was assimilated and he means a great deal to me." And Lilly's reply is literally "Go find your friend."

"I'm legally required to protect my subordinate"
"Go find your direct report who you have no formal friendship with."

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Mar 27, 2020

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

yeah but that's the TNG movies universe, we're talking about the TNG show universe here, completely different.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

First, movie Picard sucks. Second, Picard and Data weren't friends as much as they were the 2 most popular characters on TNG, meaning they were front and center for the movies.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

piratepilates posted:

yeah but that's the TNG movies universe, we're talking about the TNG show universe here, completely different.

You mean like when Picard uses his off time to help Data work on acting in order to better understand humanity? Or any of the other times when Picard hangs out with Data.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Cojawfee posted:

You mean like when Picard uses his off time to help Data work on acting in order to better understand humanity? Or any of the other times when Picard hangs out with Data.

Everyone in TNG hung out with each other, but it was nothing special between Picard and Data. This is extremely obvious.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They were all friends. His relationship with Data is unique in that Picard can't just call up Data whenever he wants, because Data is dead. So it's not hard to see why he would have dreams about Data, and would reminisce about Data. Data might not have been his best friend in the entire world, and I don't think this show is trying to say that. What it's saying is that Data was a good friend, who Picard sometimes thinks about.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Peachfart posted:

Everyone in TNG hung out with each other, but it was nothing special between Picard and Data. This is extremely obvious.

Yes everyone in Star Trek are friends. Kind of a big point of the universe. I'm glad everyone was paying attention to the shows.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Big Mean Jerk posted:

RLM watched an episode and were absolutely befuddled by character names and basic English words the characters were saying. You'd get more insightful and coherent opinions on Picard from someone suffering from a severe concussion than you would RLM.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Peachfart posted:

Nothing special between two people who have violated direct orders and risked their lives to help/save each other multiple times, no siree.

Just regular coworker/subordinate stuff there!

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I'm very glad the show didn't end with a firefight.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Seemlar posted:

RLM watched an episode and were absolutely befuddled by character names and basic English words the characters were saying. You'd get more insightful and coherent opinions on Picard from someone suffering from a severe concussion than you would RLM.

Did they ever work out that the Romulans weren't building a Borg Cube?

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Nitrousoxide posted:

I'm very glad the show didn't end with a firefight.

It kinda did and kinda didn't. They wanted to have their cake and eat it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

There's still a Borg Cube parked on that planet and I don't think they said anything about what will happen to it.

I guess it crashed or whatever but it still has power, and I'm pretty sure a Borg ship can repair any amount of damage if it has power. I was really expecting Seven to fly the thing back into orbit to confront the Romulans. Instead, it's just there, I guess it belongs to the android tribe now.