Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Dear Star Trek,

Please hire Michael Wiley to design starships for you from now on. That man has made some really loving baller post-TNG Starfleet ships. I'm sure he'll sell a couple of them to you if you paid him enough of your CBS All Access subscription money.

Warmest regards,

some jackass on the Internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

This show would have been better had it just been old fat riker making pizzas and telling stories to the audience.

Everything else about this show that wasn't fat riker making pizzas was a waste of my goddamn time.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
why the gently caress were the XBs even in this show

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Dear Star Trek,

Please hire Michael Wiley to design starships for you from now on. That man has made some really loving baller post-TNG Starfleet ships. I'm sure he'll sell a couple of them to you if you paid him enough of your CBS All Access subscription money.

Warmest regards,

some jackass on the Internet.

They even have a handful of designs that I don't think are fully canon- Luna, Vesta, Odyssey- just sitting there for use. Could have easily knocked those out, but I assume someone's lovely nephew has to get paid.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

No idea why they were in a sudden rush, they'd let Data go about his life for like 20-30 years previously.

No one knew how to make more Datas at the time. At some point Maddox figured it out (with help from previously unknown Soong guy who apparently some people knew about?) and was able to make a bunch of basic robots. Not entirely sure why destroying the one thing that would help Romulans was the plan for stopping synths. They could have waited until after all the ships were built and then had the androids go nuts.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I think I liked those Riker ships in the finale just because they were vaguely round instead of *gestures wildly at every other ship design in Disco and Picard*. This season has definitely convinced me to never complain about ugly STO designs ever again.

I didn’t even mind that they had Kelvin-style nacelle ends.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

They even have a handful of designs that I don't think are fully canon- Luna, Vesta, Odyssey- just sitting there for use. Could have easily knocked those out, but I assume someone's lovely nephew has to get paid.

No sense of scale, no movement, why are they so bad at this

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Bubbacub posted:

No sense of scale, no movement, why are they so bad at this

This poo poo is specifically on JJ. He’s never had a good eye for “large numbers of spaceships in formation”. Also his terminal “scale in space” problem.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

The Luna and Odyssey designs have really grown on me over the years. I used to think they were poo poo, but seeing them in 3D gave me a better appreciation for them. Also everything else in STO, DISCO and PIC aside from the OG Enterprise redesign looking like garbage has kind of shifted the Overton Window of "Good Starship Designs" further in their direction :v:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Hi there Captain, glad I could save you from a dangerous situation I don't fully understand, ok well all 200 ships I brought with me need to go now, hope you don't keel over and die the second I leave. Definitely nothing for starfleet to do here w/ a colony of androids that one retired admiral can't handle. Adios!

Now watch, it'll turn out thirty seconds after they cut to the end credits, one last warbird, which Oh had kept in reserve on the other side of the planet, decloaks, opens fire, and slags the android town anyway, just to be sure.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Star Trek: Missed Opportunities

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Hi there Captain, glad I could save you from a dangerous situation I don't fully understand, ok well all 200 ships I brought with me need to go now, hope you don't keel over and die the second I leave. Definitely nothing for starfleet to do here w/ a colony of androids that one retired admiral can't handle. Adios!

This. Wife and I were laughing at the “welp, see ya!” **has massive brain hemorrhage on the floor moments later**

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Holy poo poo that show was BAD. I am so disappointed. They had so much potential and they just squandered it!

Random thoughts:

The planetary Wikipedia Article the Romulans accessed was right. The moment the artificial life forms realized what was up they were all 100% on board for universal genocide. The crazy Romulan death cult was 100% the good guys. That's so insane!

Everything was just so awful oh god. "Captain let me teach you this lesson about mortality.... OK got it? Good now ignore all that because your own human-created mortality is irrelevant and has now been circumvented. Kill me again so I never have to be on this show.

What was the point of the Borg? What was the point of anything? I don't care what sort of crazy Wikipedia articles some random alien beams into your head you should not be allowed to murder people. Rios just happened to run into emissaries from the android planet? What the hell were they doing sending emissaries out? How was there an "omega directive" style order to destroy artificial life so strong a dude obeyed it then offed himself that's hosed up, like just after meeting them? What the hell that's crazy even if one single Romulan agent managed to make a directive that powerful wouldn't they want to find the home planet? How would she manage to do that given the legacy of data and the massive amount of synthetics in starfleet? If this was after their 'rebellion' then why the hell were people from the android planet happily-go-luckily flying off to meet with starfleet? And why the hell did the androids destroy Mars anyway???

My pitch:

Keep the 'data's daughter' thing, lose the Mars android bit. The federation rescued a lot of Romulans under Picard's leadership, but through some failure Picard wasn't able to do as much as he could. Now Picard is old, dying, I don't care, and Dahj finds him. Hell maybe even skip the twin thing, there's just one. Picard trusts her, connects her with Data, flies off with her and finds out she is part of a group of synthetic life that was partially based on Data but none of this Maddox nonsense. She was sent out as a form of first contact, and now Picard must broker first contact between her people and the Federation. Tension develops when the Tal Shiar, long distrustful of artificial life and worried about their place in the new universal order after the destruction of Romulus (no stupid Wikipedia page) use their new "diplomatic" connections with Starfleet to push back. They engineer, through treachery and deceit, the death of Dahj (spelling? ah I don't care, but one of them if you use the twin thing) and drive a wedge between the Federation and the new artificial life. Picard must use all of his wits, cunning, diplomacy and, finally, his humanity, to bridge the gap between human and almost human, connecting two people who are so similar yet so different, all while an insidious enemy seeks to drive them apart. His allies, the two Romulans from the vineyard, are tested between their loyalty to Picard and their loyalty to what is left of their people, and must make hard moral and ethical choices, with their own past as headwinds and Picard's example as their north star. Eventually through sacrifice Picard exposes the Tal Shiar plot and the artificial life is allowed to join the federation, and tensions with the remainder of the Romulans simmer.

No Borg cube plot that goes nowhere. No universe-ending threat. Picard's story is small, contained, and plays to his strengths - wit, diplomacy, and integrity. Throughout the process Picard listens to Data's logs from when he created his first daughter (in the offspring episode of TNG) and gains perspective on what Data's goals were - to be human is to create, and to create a piece of one's self. In addition though, in the logs Data considers the idea of a legacy. While not indestructible he is immortal, and he wonders if it is possible to actually have a legacy as such a creation. Picard thinks of his own legacy as he sees new life, newly again-recognized life which he had fought for (reference back to the Measure of a Man), which is his friend's legacy. He realizes a profound lesson about humanity again through data, and remembers him forever as perhaps the most human of all he had ever met.

But no we needed giant space battles and sword fights and PHASER MURDERS GALORE!

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Why did Riker show up with 200 of the same ship

They couldn't find the cgi model for a Nebula or something just for visual variety?

Why did they warp in so close together?

spread out a little

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This poo poo is specifically on JJ. He’s never had a good eye for “large numbers of spaceships in formation”. Also his terminal “scale in space” problem.

I really hate JJ because he's absolutely garbage at everything he attempts. He's only halfway decent when someone else does half the work. He has a clear misunderstanding of the fundamentals of every franchise he works on. His last Star Wars movie was pretty much a giant "gently caress you" to everything Rian Johnson did in the previous movie. He can't write for poo poo, and he's a mediocre director.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I don't think anyone has mentioned that somehow the Incest Sister, despite the show wanting you to believe she was beamed to the Romulan fleet, was I guess beamed to another part of the Cube and just sat there until Narek showed up? Like I'm not sure if something got cut out in editing in Episode 8 but I did not expect her to just be on the crashed Borg cube already.

This show had so many goddamn plotholes. I think the worst is the whole 'rogue synth' thing where somehow the Romulans 'hacked' them (this is never explained) and were also willing to sacrifice millions/billions of their own people to do it. Then in the finale two-parter that one gold Soji helps Narek escape, but I'm still not clear on why she needed him at all. Her plan is also extremely unclear to me, except that I guess she wanted to make it look like an organic attacked and killed a synth to justify her getting everyone else on board the 'we just need to exterminate all organics' train. Everything involving her was weird.

I did laugh that Narek is just never seen again after his attempt to blow up the beacon fails. What a waste of a character. Then again, almost everything with the Borg Cube and the Zhat Vash was very undercooked this season. You didn't need to have Seven in the show at all. I also thought it was bizarre that in that last scene you get the brief implication that Seven and Raffi were a thing despite not even talking to each other on this show?

Everything just felt rushed to me. There were at least three episodes worth of stuff packed into two episodes for the finale. The main bright spot in the finale was the Picard/Data stuff, as a final sendoff to the character. The series would have greatly benefited from a 12 episode run instead of 10. Especially when the first three episodes are all effectively the pilot episode and that takes up almost a third of the whole season.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
why didn't they give picard a goku body?

why dont we have patrick stewarts head on a goku body right now?

Biscuitbeard
Feb 16, 2020
Ever had one of those moments of inspiration at 3am? You think you've come up with the greatest idea ever so you eagerly write it down and fall asleep excited by all the possibilities...but then the next day you wake up, look at it with fresh eyes and realise it's a load of stupid wank and you can't understand how it made sense at the time?

That's the plot of Picard...except instead of writing it down and sleeping on it, they stayed awake and turned it into a series straight away.

I completely agree with the '2/3 out of 10' posts, it doesn't work as a Star Trek series and it fails as a regular TV show too.

There a few great character moments and some hints at what could've been a good story but the script is just melodrama, manufactured tension, exposition dumps, mystery boxes and Deus Ex Machina underpinned by a terrible overbearing score and generic sci-fi VFX. A soulless pile of shite that's so desperate to be glossy and blockbustery that it misses any trace of what makes Star Trek great.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don't think anyone has mentioned that somehow the Incest Sister, despite the show wanting you to believe she was beamed to the Romulan fleet, was I guess beamed to another part of the Cube and just sat there until Narek showed up? Like I'm not sure if something got cut out in editing in Episode 8 but I did not expect her to just be on the crashed Borg cube already.

This show had so many goddamn plotholes. I think the worst is the whole 'rogue synth' thing where somehow the Romulans 'hacked' them (this is never explained) and were also willing to sacrifice millions/billions of their own people to do it. Then in the finale two-parter that one gold Soji helps Narek escape, but I'm still not clear on why she needed him at all. Her plan is also extremely unclear to me, except that I guess she wanted to make it look like an organic attacked and killed a synth to justify her getting everyone else on board the 'we just need to exterminate all organics' train. Everything involving her was weird.

I did laugh that Narek is just never seen again after his attempt to blow up the beacon fails. What a waste of a character. Then again, almost everything with the Borg Cube and the Zhat Vash was very undercooked this season. You didn't need to have Seven in the show at all. I also thought it was bizarre that in that last scene you get the brief implication that Seven and Raffi were a thing despite not even talking to each other on this show?

Everything just felt rushed to me. There were at least three episodes worth of stuff packed into two episodes for the finale. The main bright spot in the finale was the Picard/Data stuff, as a final sendoff to the character. The series would have greatly benefited from a 12 episode run instead of 10. Especially when the first three episodes are all effectively the pilot episode and that takes up almost a third of the whole season.

Yes that was literally her plan. Soong even said as much.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

G-III posted:

This show would have been better had it just been old fat riker making pizzas and telling stories to the audience.

Everything else about this show that wasn't fat riker making pizzas was a waste of my goddamn time.

Oh, please, you could make that criticism about every TV show!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

What was the point of the 5 of a kind queens in the opening scene to the series? Was it just a reference to the Borg queen? Lame.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Wait why was Soji the destroyer? One of the other robots couldn't have turned on the space beam? This whole series has left me confused.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Cojawfee posted:

A show about Picard visiting his friends and solving local problems and standing up for the rights of the downtrodden would have been a much better show. We already have a shooty action pew pew Star Trek on the air.

I hope this is what is in store for season 2.

In my view they have just the right amount of threads left dangling (intentionally or not) to do interesting stuff with in a follow up.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Wait why was Soji the destroyer? One of the other robots couldn't have turned on the space beam? This whole series has left me confused.

It seemed like the term was being applied more generally, really "a destroyer", and it was just that she happened to be the closest to the beam at the time it was turned on or something. Once Soji turned the beam off, it bought enough time for the Federation to be a convincing protector, rather than Picard having to have that conversation with everyone there

Josh Lyman posted:

What was the point of the 5 of a kind queens in the opening scene to the series? Was it just a reference to the Borg queen? Lame.

indicator he was in a dream

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

This show overall has very bad case of the First Drafts, feels like they had a bunch of ideas they wanted to hit (ex-borgs! Starfleet losing its way! Allen Super-droids! Data! Romulan ninja-monks! Pizza!) but absolutely no loving idea of how to string them together into a 10 episode arc, and instead of doing the necessary work to retool it they just rushed the poo poo to production.

I’m reminded of a story about The Simpsons, that how there are many reasons why Modern Simpsons is so bad compared to the original few seasons, but the biggest one is that they stopped workshopping every joke until it was good and just got lazy and let them go to script early. Picard has a similar problem in that there are parts the writers clearly really like and really wanted to do, but then there’s everything else, and instead of working on Everything Else they just did the bits they wanted to and just fumbled the rest of the poo poo together.

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009
The show seemed to do everything possible to wrap up any tension as quickly as it could. I know it's a first season, but I never felt like anything serious was happening to the point that I started getting pre-disappointed when they'd introduce some sort of plot twist. Everyone got away from their problems too easily and too quickly for anything to feel earned.

That said, the whole thing with Data really tore me up - it was probably the most honest and heartfelt moment I've seen in Star Trek. I was doing alright until he started to age and he smiled. The bit with Picard wasn't earned at all because they kept telegraphing that he was going to be just fine after dying.

Also, to everyone saying that Narissa falling into a pit and dying was silly: she has a personal teleporter on the Cube. We'll be seeing her again.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

HexiDave posted:

Also, to everyone saying that Narissa falling into a pit and dying was silly: she has a personal teleporter on the Cube. We'll be seeing her again.

I was kind of worried that will be the case but for now I prefer to think of her dead like palpatine when he got chucked down a pit

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

They did the exact same thing in Disco too.

I was about to say that "at least they waited a season before resurrecting them" but then I remembered the time someone was right about to die and they do the whole grieving rigamarole only for them to not die all in one episode.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

Just dream logic, but if you really want to read something into it, the five queens would be the three Sojis, Seven, and Narissa (referred to as the xBs' "new queen" by Hugh).

It's also a reference to Measure of a Man, wherein Data is holding a queen during the poker scene.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Cojawfee posted:

I really hate JJ because he's absolutely garbage at everything he attempts. He's only halfway decent when someone else does half the work. He has a clear misunderstanding of the fundamentals of every franchise he works on. His last Star Wars movie was pretty much a giant "gently caress you" to everything Rian Johnson did in the previous movie. He can't write for poo poo, and he's a mediocre director.

Oh absolutely agreed. There’s so much stuff in TROS that shits on Rey’s TLJ arc in particular that it made me physically angry while I was sitting in the theater watching it. The whole bullshit with her having to “earn” the goddamn saber she’d already loving earned two movies prior is the biggest middle finger to a new group of fans I’ve ever seen in a genre film. Then you toss in the whole thing with her having to come from noble force blood in order to have her powers and uuuuuggggghhhhhh :barf:

JJ’s Star Wars movies are just him mindlessly smashing action figures together on his bedroom floor. Regardless of how you feel about TLJ, I think most people can at least agree there was an attempt at telling an actual story with substantial themes. TFA and TROS are just a videogame-style series of plot checkpoints. I used to like ST09 quite a bit but I haven’t watched it in years and I feel like watching it again now would just be an infuriating exercise since JJ has spent the last decade completely erasing the illusion that he was ever a talented filmmaker.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

So what do you think? Will season 2 focus on Picard exploring his newfound identity as a synthetic in a poetic inversion of the Data arc? Or will the whole thing never be mentioned again under penalty of torture?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Drink-Mix Man posted:

So what do you think? Will season 2 focus on Picard exploring his newfound identity as a synthetic in a poetic inversion of the Data arc? Or will the whole thing never be mentioned again under penalty of torture?

Under penalty of General Order 24.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

If they don’t spend at least a few episodes following up on the connective story tissue between the xBs/Seven/poor dead Hugh/New Synth Smell Picard then I’m not sure what the point of even introducing them was.

There were so many indications before the season aired that we’d be getting a refugee/immigration crisis allegory with the Borg that I’m still baffled that it was barely a thing in season 1. It has to be a dangling thread left for next season. I asked Chabon about it in his Q&A today and he was vague but seemed to imply it would be followed up on.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Kibbles n Shits posted:

If Soji and Dahj were created from Data's neurons, were the other androids created from them too? Why did they look like Data's painting but the others didn't? Were they supposed to look like anyone from Data's mind? Can't another synth eventually find the Zhat Vash message and receive the info on making the signal that can kill everyone in the galaxy? Kind of creates a huge liability for letting synths continue to exist, don't you think?

If you go down these rabbit holes, the whole series breaks down.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Big Mean Jerk posted:

If they don’t spend at least a few episodes following up on the connective story tissue between the xBs/Seven/poor dead Hugh/New Synth Smell Picard then I’m not sure what the point of even introducing them was

The point was to have a cool setpiece of a partially salvaged borg cube, op

Lister posted:

If Soji and Dahj were created from Data's neurons, were the other androids created from them too? Why did they look like Data's painting but the others didn't? Were they supposed to look like anyone from Data's mind? Can't another synth eventually find the Zhat Vash message and receive the info on making the signal that can kill everyone in the galaxy? Kind of creates a huge liability for letting synths continue to exist, don't you think?

If you go down these rabbit holes, the whole series breaks down.

When we were introduced to the synth village last episode and all of the speaking role characters aside from Soong were visibly, obviously androids with metallic skin and gold eyes, I briefly wondered if there was going to be a reveal that these weren’t really Soji’s “siblings” and it was just Inigo setting up shop in the ruins of Maddox’s lab, loving around with older android tech and waiting on the off chance that Soji came back, so he could harvest her technology to create perfect synths for reasons. Spiner playing him as this really odious jackass would have made more sense in that case!

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Mar 27, 2020

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
I repeat my question from hundred pages ago for all those who say 'Picard and Data are not friends in the show'.

Are you loving blind?!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Oh absolutely agreed. There’s so much stuff in TROS that shits on Rey’s TLJ arc in particular that it made me physically angry while I was sitting in the theater watching it. The whole bullshit with her having to “earn” the goddamn saber she’d already loving earned two movies prior is the biggest middle finger to a new group of fans I’ve ever seen in a genre film. Then you toss in the whole thing with her having to come from noble force blood in order to have her powers and uuuuuggggghhhhhh :barf:

JJ’s Star Wars movies are just him mindlessly smashing action figures together on his bedroom floor. Regardless of how you feel about TLJ, I think most people can at least agree there was an attempt at telling an actual story with substantial themes. TFA and TROS are just a videogame-style series of plot checkpoints. I used to like ST09 quite a bit but I haven’t watched it in years and I feel like watching it again now would just be an infuriating exercise since JJ has spent the last decade completely erasing the illusion that he was ever a talented filmmaker.

I think 09 still holds up on the strength of its cast and their charisma with each other alone at this point. It is still a fun space action story that tells a complete narrative arc and is competently directed and edited, but yeah the shine has kind of faded since JJ has gone out of his way to reveal himself to be such a hack with his Star Wars work. Also it no longer has the faux luster of "It's the only Star Trek we're going to get anymore because CBS hates the franchise so shut up and enjoy it" now that there's Trek back on TV* again in any capacity.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Eau de MacGowan posted:

why didn't they give picard a goku body?

why dont we have patrick stewarts head on a goku body right now?

JL Blazkowicz would have been pretty sweet, not gonna lie.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Jacked Tom Hardy should have woken up in that tube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Pops Mgee posted:

Jacked Tom Hardy should have woken up in that tube.

Not gonna lie, when everyone was looming over him as he woke up I half expected John De Lancie to lean in over Allison Pill’s shoulder with a big shiteating grin for no reason.