Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
MOTYC: Kenny Omega vs. Sammy Guevara, AEW Dynamite, 25/03

Going with MOTYC because in the context of an empty arena show at a time when the world is absolutely hosed they crushed it. Can't wait for when they have a proper series together once we're back to normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

The circumstances being what they are, I agree that this was MOTYC-worthy.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

MOTYC: Mayumi Ozaki (c) & Saori Anou w/POLICE vs. Hiroyo Matsumoto & Aja Kong w/Yoshiko for the Blast Queen Championship in a Plasma Blast Deathmatch - Zero-1 Super Fireworks (2/24)

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/k3SwpT4ZxiG5jxvVMWA

If you've ever watched OZ Academy then you know exactly what kind of match this. Absolute nonsense chaos. It ruled.

I'll give it the HM, there was a touch too much "suddenly my legs do not work" IMO. Of course for Aja that was probably a shoot.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Rarity posted:

Going with MOTYC because in the context of an empty arena show at a time when the world is absolutely hosed they crushed it. Can't wait for when they have a proper series together once we're back to normal.

Nthing the gently caress out of this. Sammy was asked to play a big boy role and he played the hell out of it. Any smart promoter looking at this (and AEW is smart) will look at this as Sammy's calling card for bigger things.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Chris James 2 posted:

MOTYC: Kenny Omega vs Sammy Guevara for the AAA Mega title, AEW Dynamite 3/25

Nth.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes

Cerebral Bore posted:

Nth!

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Rarity posted:

Nth

Willninho
Aug 14, 2007
Hm

Big Japan 2/11/20 - Yuya Aoki v Fuminori Abe

Fun shooty junior wrestling.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/tSL77hXjmtY

Willninho fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 26, 2020

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The New Japan shows all being canceled (including what would have likely been the greatest New Japan Cup of all time) means that AEW has now equaled New Japan with the most MOTYCs so far this year, the first challenge in years to their rock-solid grip as the top MOTY generating promotion on the planet.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Chris James 2 posted:

HM: Hana Kimura and Jungle Kyona vs Giulia and Maika - STARDOM No People Gate, 3/7

Nth

Chris James 2 posted:

MOTY: Jamie Hayter and Bea Priestley (C) vs Momo Watanabe and Utami Hayashishita for the Goddesses of STARDOM titles - STARDOM No People Gate, 3/7

Considered merely going HM on this but between Bea's entrance, the last 3-5 minutes, the camera cuts to Liger alone in the audience, and being the most fun/good women's tag match I've seen all year so far, I feel comfortable going all the way on this one

Nth

Chris James 2 posted:

MOTY: Mayu Iwatani vs Saki Kashima in a lumberjack match - STARDOM No People Gate, 3/7

Pretty good show! Even had a very fun lumberjack match, how often does that happen?!

Nth

Also want to add a special mention to the battle royal which was really entertaining and silly and Captain Stardom. Whole show is a delight and exactly how to do an empty arena show and on top of that is free on YouTube. Glad I finally watched this

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

MOTYC: Mayumi Ozaki (c) & Saori Anou w/POLICE vs. Hiroyo Matsumoto & Aja Kong w/Yoshiko for the Blast Queen Championship in a Plasma Blast Deathmatch - Zero-1 Super Fireworks (2/24)

If you've ever watched OZ Academy then you know exactly what kind of match this. Absolute nonsense chaos. It ruled.

hell yeah 2nd

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

The New Japan shows all being canceled (including what would have likely been the greatest New Japan Cup of all time) means that AEW has now equaled New Japan with the most MOTYCs so far this year, the first challenge in years to their rock-solid grip as the top MOTY generating promotion on the planet.

Well, when they come back all they have to do is send out Ishii to rack up them MOTYC:s and they should be safe.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Cerebral Bore posted:

The circumstances being what they are, I agree that this was MOTYC-worthy.

nth

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Cerebral Bore posted:

Well, when they come back all they have to do is send out Ishii to rack up them MOTYC:s and they should be safe.
Ishii probably gets more MOTYCs a year than WWE main roster

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Cerebral Bore posted:

NJC but every single match is Ishii vs someone

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

extradite THIS! posted:

NJC but every single match is Ishii vs someone

This could theoretically lead to an Ishii vs Ishii match, which would kill the entire wrestling business due to everybody realizing that perfection has been achieved and there's no point even trying anymore.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Cerebral Bore posted:

This could theoretically lead to an Ishii vs Ishii match, which would kill the entire wrestling business due to everybody realizing that perfection has been achieved and there's no point even trying anymore.

Don’t worry, this would require Ishii to win an important match

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

extradite THIS! posted:

Don’t worry, this would require Ishii to win an important match
please don’t hurt me like this

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

jesus WEP posted:

Last year WWE got 19 MOTYCs.

Tomohiro Ishii got 16.

Those WWE figures include NXT :stare:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

the best bout potato

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

jesus WEP posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3878790 Last year Ishii had 16; WWE main roster had 5

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
New Japan has truly perfected the formula of creating fantastic matches by booking a walking fire hydrant as one of the competitors.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MOTYC: Mei Suruga vs. Hiroyo Matsumoto - Gatoh Move Day of Happiness (3/20)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8yUT-m-VSA

This might be one of the last big matches I got to see in person for a while but it was a very good one to go out on. Mei getting frustrated at how tall Hiroyo is and trying to lengthen her arms with the ring ropes was an all time great spot one minute in and it got better from there.

HM: Baliyan Akki vs. Yasu Urano - Gatoh Move gtmv 42 (3/22)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjULi_NmI8E

You can probably hear me laughing through this one. I introduced my friend to pro wrestling with this show (she knew of it through Hana Kimura in Terrace House) and I think this match made a fan for life. The galaxy brain spot halfway through where they wrestled under the mat elevated it to a classic.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Had free time (we all do now I guess), wanted to see if this was a one year fluke

Ishii has had matches nominated for MOTY since 2013. Of this 7 year period, he's had less MOTYCs than the WWE main roster only three years

'18 https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3845480 Ishii 12; WWE main roster 5
'17 https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3805428 Ishii 12; WWE main roster 11
:siren: '16 https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3758405 Ishii 3; WWE main roster 8 :siren:
'15 https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3692291 Ishii 7; WWE main roster 6
:siren: '14 https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3600087 Ishii 7; WWE main roster 13 :siren:
:siren: '13 https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3525959 Ishii 4; WWE main roster 21 :siren:

Thus far in 2020 he has 2; the WWE main roster has 1 (Fiend/Goldberg)

TL;DR

Cerebral Bore posted:

New Japan has truly perfected the formula of creating fantastic matches by booking a walking fire hydrant as one of the competitors.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

In 2016, Ishii had singles matches against:
Shibata (in January and February, both 4.5 from Dave and above 9 on cagematch)
Roderick Strong (4.25, 7.88)
Cedric Alexander
EVIL (two in March)
Naito (in March and May, both 4.5 from Dave and above 8.5 on cagematch)
Bobby Fish
Moose
Will Ferarra
Josh Bodom
Tenzan
Goto
Fale
Naomichi Marufuji (no Dave rating, 8.08)
Tama Tonga
Hiroshi Tanahashi (4.75, 8.78)
Kazuchika Okada (5 stars, 9.66)
SANADA
Makabe
Chris Hero (4.5, 9.08)
Pete Dunne
Chase Owens

Even looking at that list and seeing useless stiffs like Will Ferarra, Tama Tonga, and Naito in there, I'm surprised he only had three MOTY candidates.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
J-Ru rename this thread to "Tomohiro Ishii Appreciation Station", tia.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

agreed but do it for the subforum

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Who actually has the most MOTYCs this year?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I could be mistaken, but I think it's Kenny Omega.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Kenny has nine this year so far. Kenny Omega individually has almost twice as many match of the year candidates than WWE.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Yeah it's Kenny. Hangman is second but all of his MOTYCs are teaming with Kenny.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I'll nth this: it was exactly what a Seikigun vs Beast Friend Explosion Death Match should be: chaotic, full of interference and bullshit and incredibly, incredibly fun.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Naito, Okada, and Omega also have the odd distinction of each having got two MOTYCs on different dates at the same arena (Naito and Okada at Tokyo Dome, Omega at Daily's Place. This is relatively uncommon for American promotions who don't have a Korauken Hall.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I Before E posted:

In 2016, Ishii had singles matches against:
Shibata (in January and February, both 4.5 from Dave and above 9 on cagematch)
Roderick Strong (4.25, 7.88)
Cedric Alexander
EVIL (two in March)
Naito (in March and May, both 4.5 from Dave and above 8.5 on cagematch)
Bobby Fish
Moose
Will Ferarra
Josh Bodom
Tenzan
Goto
Fale
Naomichi Marufuji (no Dave rating, 8.08)
Tama Tonga
Hiroshi Tanahashi (4.75, 8.78)
Kazuchika Okada (5 stars, 9.66)
SANADA
Makabe
Chris Hero (4.5, 9.08)
Pete Dunne
Chase Owens

Even looking at that list and seeing useless stiffs like Will Ferarra, Tama Tonga, and Naito in there, I'm surprised he only had three MOTY candidates.

New Japan as a whole only had 12 that year. Only thing I can think of is less people may have been watching (in general or specifically after Styles and Nakamura bailed, idk). It was just for that year and then things went back to normal

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Yeah it's Kenny. Hangman is second but all of his MOTYCs are teaming with Kenny.

In fairness I don't think Hangman has even had any singles matches yet this year

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Rarity posted:

In fairness I don't think Hangman has even had any singles matches yet this year

He had a couple on the Jericho cruise but they didn't air anywhere.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
HM: Angel de Oro & Niebla Roja vs. Cuatrero & Sanson, FantasticaMania 1/17

Yeah, this is belated, but I've been busy. It's a really great lucha tag that's the finals of the family tag tournament. Definitely worth checking out.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
HM: Natsuko Tora vs. Giulia from Stardom Cinderella 2020, 3/24

The tournament is all short matches but most of it is pretty fun and the first round is free on youtube. Just keep in mind that you can win via over the top rope eliminations too! Was kind of bummed that Tam Nakano seemed off in the tournament.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

hm hana vs mayu stardom cinderella tournament 3/24

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

HM: Natsuko Tora vs. Giulia from Stardom Cinderella 2020, 3/24

The tournament is all short matches but most of it is pretty fun and the first round is free on youtube. Just keep in mind that you can win via over the top rope eliminations too! Was kind of bummed that Tam Nakano seemed off in the tournament.

Super No Vacancy posted:

hm hana vs mayu stardom cinderella tournament 3/24

nthing both of these

Here's the youtube for those that wanna watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxjaqJaZ01E