Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

"I have retirement savings" - person who owns a building that is conservatively worth $10million

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

That seems like an absurdist rule. Perhaps the thing to do is not carry a credit card balance so this isn't a problem. Setting up multiple accounts at multiple institutions so that if you get into arrears they don't come after your checking account seems a bit much.

lmao just don't be poor, silly.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Dr. Stab posted:

lmao just don't be poor, silly.

There's a big difference between being poor, and the audience listening to Gail Vaz-Oxlade on Twitter or buying her book. The advice she offers sounds like prepper nonsense. It's like not having more than $100K in any one category of account at a single bank in the event the bank becomes insolvent. Surely, there are better options out there than putting your savings accounts and credit accounts at multiple banks or credit unions. If someone is poor, they likely need better support than being told that the solution to their financial difficulties is what is suggested.

Mandibular Fiasco fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 26, 2020

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
https://twitter.com/catthekin/status/1242718190662111232

Pity the city doesn't believe in enforcement, or consequences, and this will all be folded back into STR soon.

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
I've discovered the simple joy of trolling landlords on Kijiji by lowballing them during an economic crises. Responses have varied from angry multiparagraph responses replete with spelling errors to "I know what I got bruh don't waste my time"

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Post 'em. Give the people what they want.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Post them!

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Ship the messages

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Post the messages, coward

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

ruh roes

quote:

Alternative Lenders Halt Redemptions, Signaling Mortgage Cracks

Some of Canada’s biggest non-bank commercial mortgage lenders are freezing redemptions as investors try to flee the asset class.

Firms including Vancouver-based Trez Capital have gated open-ended funds indefinitely as the underlying assets can’t be sold fast enough to keep pace with sustained withdrawals.

While many managers of such funds have built up large cash buffers, a wider lack of liquidity in the asset management industry is emerging as a key risk for investors.

“With the turmoil in the market we had a certain number of retail clients that came through with a fair number of redemptions, particularly in the last week,” Daniel Marchand, senior vice-president who oversees capital raising for Trez, said from Toronto.

The firm manages C$3.8 billion ($2.7 billion) that’s roughly split between the U.S. and Canada. It didn’t say how long the freeze -- which impacts four funds managing approximately C$2.6 billion -- would last to “avoid building unrealistic expectations”.

“We saw that trend in the last week as other funds had been closing and gating,” Marchand said. “This action was somewhat proactive and preemptive, as there is the potential of this crisis becoming very problematic.”

Some firms such as Morrison Laurier Mortgage Corporation have gone further and also suspended dividends and new purchases, according to the people familiar with the matter.

“As a result of the implementation of social distancing to prevent the spread of the virus, and the mandating of the same by law, many of the projects in which Morrison Laurier is participating as lender have come to a complete halt while others may stop in the very near future,” president Adam Rose wrote in a message to investors seen by Bloomberg News.

Rose declined to comment.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

It's ok, they'll just get another nurses union pension fund to bail them out.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Why can't landlords just get a job like the rest of us?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Lovely schadenfreude.

Having seen how openly people are willing to accept being hosed in the rear end in the US, I'm doubtful we'll use the momentum over COVID to make a better society ourselves in the milquetoast north.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Guest2553 posted:

Lovely schadenfreude.

Having seen how openly people are willing to accept being hosed in the rear end in the US, I'm doubtful we'll use the momentum over COVID to make a better society ourselves in the milquetoast north.

Oh, I'm a bit more optimistic than that. This isn't going away quickly.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
https://www.zolo.ca/vancouver-real-estate/3655-trafalgar-street

This seems undervalued. :thunk:

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

It's slightly above assessed, though.

REW says they bought it in 2006 for $935K. Add in "over $500K in renovations" and you're at $1.5M. That's $1.8M in 2020 dollars. So they'd still turn a profit if they sold it for that price.

Also, given how the place was reno'ed, this was clearly a (fairly well-off) family who actually lived in the house for 13 years, and are now looking to move. That probably explains setting the price near assessed, rather than at some fantasy price of double the assessed value like a lot of west side houses. It'll probably be bought by speculators though, if anyone buys it at all.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

https://biv.com/article/2020/04/bc-landlords-seeing-50-tenants-not-paying-rent
:cawg:

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

What is astounding is how many people are living on debt and have no savings of any kind to buffer themselves in the event of difficulty.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I know several people who are worried they won't be able to make next month's mortgage payments because they've been laid off. It astounds me too, if you cannot afford to make your mortgage for at least 6 months then what on earth are you doing with a mortgage? I guess it's easy to blame the homeowners, but really it's ultimately the fault of the idiot government(s) for encouraging this type of reckless borrowing for so long with ultra low interest rates, lack of affordable home building, and negligence in preventing mass foreign takeovers of entire housing markets.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

qhat posted:

I know several people who are worried they won't be able to make next month's mortgage payments because they've been laid off. It astounds me too, if you cannot afford to make your mortgage for at least 6 months then what on earth are you doing with a mortgage? I guess it's easy to blame the homeowners, but really it's ultimately the fault of the idiot government(s) for encouraging this type of reckless borrowing for so long with ultra low interest rates, lack of affordable home building, and negligence in preventing mass foreign takeovers of entire housing markets.

lol

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

qhat posted:

Most people can't really live their lives waiting for everything to be perfect. They'll be dead before they can afford a house using whatever metrics were used 30-, 50-years ago. The only option they have is to try to live their lives and hope things work out. It isn't idiocy so much as a coping mechanism.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Sure hope they have a coping mechanism for bankruptcy! :haw:

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

MickeyFinn posted:

Most people can't really live their lives waiting for everything to be perfect. They'll be dead before they can afford a house using whatever metrics were used 30-, 50-years ago. The only option they have is to try to live their lives and hope things work out. It isn't idiocy so much as a coping mechanism.

Or make different choices that don’t involve exposing oneself to massive risk and just hope things turn out.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

MickeyFinn posted:

I knew it. The only point to life is to consume.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Or make different choices that don’t involve exposing oneself to massive risk and just hope things turn out.

What choices are available that don't come with unnecessary risk? I deliberately am changing "massive" to "unnecessary" because I don't know what massive means in this case. I don't see anything that indicates that these people would be able to make rent if they had stayed renting. Maybe that is true, I dunno. There is a lot wrong with housing, but I think local residents buying places to live in is pretty low on the list.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

When it comes to purchasing housing, and the incredible sums of debt that necessarily comes along with this, the buyer must have a reasonable amount of general optimism in life that things are generally going to be fine for them for the next few decades otherwise the entire concept of buying property can't work.

Part of the reason why it's so easy for the rich to get richer is because with a safety net of existing capital, it's easy to be optimistic and to take more substantial investment risks without really caring about the details.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

https://twitter.com/MPelletierCIO/status/1246107832023310336?s=20

Although this thread has been wrong about a poo poo ton, I hope at least people at least took away the general idea that the Canadian economy is garbage and you shouldn't invest in it.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

If one little virus can tank things then what's even the point?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Good returns since 2009 though.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Jordan7hm posted:

Good returns since 2009 though.

Lol. Yeah it's kind of an artificial window to take, going from a previous peak to the current crash.

I'm also guessing he isn't accounting for dividends.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

He goes into that later, paraphrased his response is "lol, come the gently caress on."

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Martin "plz bail out alberta's oil industry" Pelletier

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

This is short sighted. We've seen a number of people/articles in this thread (and others) about reno-victions, lovely landlords, and the lack of rental housing supply for people who need/want more than 3 bedrooms. What are people supposed to do to get out of these traps? Put off having children forever? Live in the streets? Give up their hobbies that require anything more than trivial amounts of space? That people are leveraging themselves to the hilt to buy houses is a symptom of a number of society wide problems, not the least of which is that incomes have been stagnant for way too long and the only way to really get ahead is to make massive leveraged bets. To twist an aphorism, the housing market can remain irrational longer than you can remain alive.

half cocaine posted:

I knew it. The only point to life is to consume.

Yes? Everyone should consume or plan to consume their entire income in some way. Either by buying dirt bikes and boats today or saving for retirement or, for the lucky few, trading income for time to do something other than work before retirement (assuming that is on the table at all). Otherwise, what is the point of working? Wage slavery for the point of wage slavery?

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

No one has 6 months of mortgage payments lying around in their mattress. It is a dumb point to make, or respond too.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Crow Buddy posted:

No one has 6 months of mortgage payments lying around in their mattress. It is a dumb point to make, or respond too.

Er, no it's not? That is literally the definition of an emergency fund.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

MickeyFinn posted:

Yes? Everyone should consume or plan to consume their entire income in some way. Either by buying dirt bikes and boats today or saving for retirement or, for the lucky few, trading income for time to do something other than work before retirement (assuming that is on the table at all). Otherwise, what is the point of working? Wage slavery for the point of wage slavery?

I know this is hard for Canadians to comprehend but happiness doesn't always come from buying stuff.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
It doesn't, but when you grow up in a house and they're still a gateway to a lifestyle that people expect as a middle class cultural norm, it's pretty understandable that people are leveraging themselves to get there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

qhat posted:

Er, no it's not? That is literally the definition of an emergency fund.

Hi,

In an economy where wage growth has been replace by consumer debt to keep quality of life it is not shocking that emergency funds have gone by the wayside.

This is not the fault of the consumer or the average person, this is a systemic economic issue not a DURR JIMMY SHOULDA SAVED issue.

Hope this helps.