Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Polaron posted:

That's got to be satire, right? It's too on-point.

100%.

Morrison later complained about people having taken the whole 64-page special seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It’s like the panel from The Boys but real.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Grendels Dad posted:

Also, who is Scratch hoping to scratch with that dildo claw?

My itch.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Please ignore this post, I'm just making it so I can click the small button to see all my posts itt so I can find a post I made a while back. Pardon the mess.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mikl posted:

Please ignore this post, I'm just making it so I can click the small button to see all my posts itt so I can find a post I made a while back. Pardon the mess.

The awful app for iOS added a “your posts” thing in the hamburger menu, it rules so hard.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Thinking about the Mutant Liberation Front reminded me of the most proto-Image comics rear end team from that era of X-men comics.

Apocalypse's Dark Riders:

I have no idea if they ever showed up outside of as quickly dispatched cannon fodder during the X-cutioner's Song crossover, but seriously, look at these guys, you can practically smell the Chrome Variant Cover bagged with trading card.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
They showed up a bunch in the 90s Cable solo title. I've always been partial to the Nasty Boys as far as absolute nothing 90s teams go, so it was a real treat to see good old Gorgeous George in today's X-Force.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah! The Nasty Boys had a few interesting appearances, like that early X-Factor run where they mostly just sat around slumming in an apartment.

And Magneto's Acolyte's put in some good work too that I can remember.

Now, the Upstarts, woooooof.

My run of reading comics as a kid pretty much started with the glory days of the X-teams facing off against the likes of the Hellions, Technet, Freedom Force, Marauders and Reavers and ended with the Upstarts killing off most of the Hellions and Reavers. womp womp.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 18, 2020

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Kalli posted:

Thinking about the Mutant Liberation Front reminded me of the most proto-Image comics rear end team from that era of X-men comics.

I have no idea if they ever showed up outside of as quickly dispatched cannon fodder during the X-cutioner's Song crossover, but seriously, look at these guys, you can practically smell the Chrome Variant Cover bagged with trading card.

i think the green guy on the left showed up in X-Men: Evolution where he got blown up by X-23

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Gut in front's costume seems to be saying "This way to where my crotch should be."

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Kalli posted:

I remember how in X-cutioner's song, even Cyclops dropped a burn about not knowing what the three rock dudes' powers are. While he was kicking their asses.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
How could he forget Tusk, the big guy without Tusks who could pop out little versions of himself like a slightly goofier Maggot?

Edit: I completely forgot that the Dark Riders were all Inhumans, a potentially interesting hook that iirc never paid off in any interesting way?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

How Wonderful! posted:

How could he forget Tusk, the big guy without Tusks who could pop out little versions of himself like a slightly goofier Maggot?

Edit: I completely forgot that the Dark Riders were all Inhumans, a potentially interesting hook that iirc never paid off in any interesting way?

That's like 1/3rd of X-Comics

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Gotham City Monsters #5: Frankenstein is facing down another version of himself (that looks more like old movie versions of Frankenstein)

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

:golfclap:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

TwoPair posted:

Gotham City Monsters #5: Frankenstein is facing down another version of himself (that looks more like old movie versions of Frankenstein)

I'm having a hard time keeping track of which one is which, or which one is the "hero". Doesn't help that they seem to switch which side of the panel they're on. Is the grey one the hero one? I know nothing about this character or DC in general, just guessing on Batwoman back there.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah ngl those pages kind-of suck

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

IUG posted:

I'm having a hard time keeping track of which one is which, or which one is the "hero". Doesn't help that they seem to switch which side of the panel they're on. Is the grey one the hero one? I know nothing about this character or DC in general, just guessing on Batwoman back there.

Its obviously the one with the sweet trench coat.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Azubah posted:

Its obviously the one with the sweet trench coat.

That doesn't help at all, they're both wearing trench coats (one just had the sleeves torn off at some point).

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

IUG posted:

TwoPair posted:

The grey one is the good one. The one that looks like the costume kids wear at Halloween is the not good one.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Look at all these chumps who ain't read Seven Soldiers

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

John Dyne posted:

The grey one is the good one. The one that looks like the costume kids wear at Halloween is the not good one.

They both look green in the last two panels of page one. And it's really loving sloppy to violate the 180 degree rule during a fight scene.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

John Dyne posted:

So the one with the bolts in his head is the one that doesnt look like the old movie versions of frankenstein?

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

SiKboy posted:

So the one with the bolts in his head is the one that doesnt look like the old movie versions of frankenstein?

Yeah, the one with bolts in his head and is also dressed like an indie wrestler who wants to show off his biceps is the one who doesn't look like the old movie versions of Frankenstein.

Anyway, the fistfight could have better framing but Frankenstein having an elaborate argument with himself about whether he should fight for the common good or serve for personal gain during a fistfight is still pretty cool.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Even accounting for perspective, those are some big feet and juicy thicc thighs on Frank in that last panel.

Also, he seems to have one foot planted on old Frank's groin.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

From House of X #4

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Logan and Kurt's friendship is still one of my favorite dynamics in comics.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

From House of X #4

Could you give me some context?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I know literally nothing about what's happening here but from that I can tell: they're dangerously close to the sun(?) and some manner of Uber-Sentinel is about to get activated. Nightcrawler and Wolverine are the only ones who can get to it to stop it in time, but they will die in the process. Instantly for Kurt, Logan hopefully lives long enough to hack the giant head free so it falls into the sun and gets destroyed.
How's my aim?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Aren't mutants functionally immortal at this point?

Why the 'heroic sacrifice' spiel?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Infinitum posted:

The previous times don't count, you see. This time it's for real.

Until it isn't.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Infinitum posted:

Because in-universe neither had been ressurected (by the Krakoa method, anyway. Both had died and come back from other methods) and they didn't know for sure if their souls would come back as well.

From a reader perspective, it was because we didn't know ressurection was possible yet when this book came out. It was these characters coming back from the dead in the next issue after the successful suicide mission that revealed that it was possible and how it worked.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
The emotional impact is dampened for me since we have already seen Wolverine's adventures in Heaven with Nightcrawler, so asking about what's on the other side is a moot point.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Logan and Kurt's friendship is still one of my favorite dynamics in comics.

Yes... friendship...

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Push El Burrito posted:

Yes... friendship...

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Push El Burrito posted:

Yes... friendship...

Like the Harley Quinn/Poison Ivy friendship, or the one between Batgirl and Supergirl.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I mean, they're still dying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Hickman's entire gimmick with the Dawn of X era crap is to say "Ok so we have all these ancillary characters like Hope, Tempus, Proteus, Mr. Sinister, Apocalypse, etc. and whatever who are insanely powerful but dramatically dead weight because they were author's pets, their stories resolved, and/or they've been diluted over time, so what can we do with them?" and mash it up with "Conventional death is so meaningless for the X-Men we might as well make resurrection canon and part of the lore." Conceptually it rules and reminds me of the best parts of Morrison's run minus Morrison's penchant for getting focused on weird poo poo that doesn't market well until other authors refine it.

And it mostly works. The only downside is that most X-books up to this point are milking drama from "Oh yeah most mutants resurrect no problem but OH NO what about ______ edge case?!?!?!! They turned out fine. They always turn out fine."