Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
DOOM ANIMAL CROSSING MARCH TWENTIETH
This poll is closed.
DOOM 39 13.36%
ANIMAL CROSSING 41 14.04%
DOOM ANIMAL CROSSING 84 28.77%
Melinda Megamelons and her gang of busty felons (Inc Bowsette) 56 19.18%
hotgirl69 72 24.66%
Total: 292 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Madden is the kingmaker of launch titles, just ask Dreamcast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Kameo: Elements of Power is an action-adventure video game developed by Rare and published by Microsoft Game Studios exclusively for the Xbox 360 as a launch title. The player controls the title character Kameo, a 15 year old elf, who journeys to recover her elemental powers and captive family from her outcast sister Kalus and Thorn, the troll king. Kameo's ten elemental powers let her transform into creatures and use their varied abilities to solve combat-oriented puzzles and progress through the game's levels.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

PS1 - Ridge Racer
PS2 - Ridge Racer V
360 - Ridge Racer 6
PS3 - Ridge Racer 7
3DS - Ridge Racer 3D
PSP - Ridge Racer
Also launched with Vita in Japan/Europe

Weedle
May 31, 2006

haveblue posted:

Thorn, the troll king

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Harrow posted:

It'd probably be visually confusing if there was a player and an assist trophy of the same character on screen at the same time.

It's not an unsolvable problem, I guess. They could probably just make it so if you're playing as a character who also has an assist trophy, that assist trophy can't spawn. Not really ideal, but if they did want to make an assist trophy into a playable character at some point without removing the assist trophy, that's probably the best option.

Visual Confusion is present in any match that has items enabled, especially the flashy ones like Assist Trophies. The niche group of players for whom visual clarity is of any concern play without items. Even many levels make the action hopelessly hard to read. There's that one level that's like a weird platforming map with hazards everywhere, I can rarely figure out where my guy even is on that level.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Excite Truck was a very poor entry in the Excite series

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

there are different categories of launch game. there's the obligatory stuff that you gotta have but no one really cares about, like ridge racer. there's the cash in class that they get out at launch when there's not much competition. maybe you'll get one good landmark game the platform holder is real invested in.

and then there's the weird experimental poo poo that's usually pretty good but would be a flop at any other point. that's kameo and it rules

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Japanese cover for Jupiter Lander, launch title for the Commodore 64. (not sure if the Commodore MAX is the exact same machine tho)

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
A new set of Joycons costs $80?! And they start requiring maintenance after a year? Wth, this isn’t cool at all. I’m interested in some Switch games but I don’t want to drop money on them just to fight with controller drift while I try to play it.

I guess I’m gonna look into this contact cleaner fix and hope for the best.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I care about Ridge Racer (RIP)

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

fantavision, among the greatest launch games of all time? it's possible

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

I care about Ridge Racer (RIP)
I like ridge racer just fine, but I'm not gonna get excited about ridge racer ever. especially when they already perfected ridge racing in type 4

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The best launch titles are the ones that everyone hates and mocks at launch because it's not the big flashy game they wanted to show off their new toy but everyone comes to respect for what it is over time. Which again, is basically Kameo which everyone got to realise is just a fun game when Rare Replay came out.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

haveblue posted:

Kameo: Elements of Power is an action-adventure video game developed by Rare and published by Microsoft Game Studios exclusively for the Xbox 360 as a launch title. The player controls the title character Kameo, a 15 year old elf, who journeys to recover her elemental powers and captive family from her outcast sister Kalus and Thorn, the troll king. Kameo's ten elemental powers let her transform into creatures and use their varied abilities to solve combat-oriented puzzles and progress through the game's levels.

It was also originally in dev for GameCube and was one of Microsoft's big "gets" for picking up Rare.

Then, it actually came out, and everyone realized Microsoft had made a horrible mistake.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

homeless snail posted:

fantavision, among the greatest launch games of all time? it's possible

as long as the list includes soul calibur, sure.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Dewgy posted:

It was also originally in dev for GameCube and was one of Microsoft's big "gets" for picking up Rare.

Then, it actually came out, and everyone realized Microsoft had made a horrible mistake.

Wasn't a big factor in the Rare purchase Microsoft believing that Rare owned Donkey Kong?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

njsykora posted:

The best launch titles are the ones that everyone hates and mocks at launch because it's not the big flashy game they wanted to show off their new toy but everyone comes to respect for what it is over time. Which again, is basically Kameo which everyone got to realise is just a fun game when Rare Replay came out.

who respects Kameo?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I respect kameo. I got a copy of it for free when microsoft had that weird sweepstakes thing that everyone on SA cheated at, and it turned out to own

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Very much a launch-title game. I remember seeing the trailer for it on an OXM disc and thinking it looked mediocre.

I also remember playing the demo for this, but I forget if it was actually good or not.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dewgy posted:

I thought that was Grabbed by the Ghoulies

Weedle
May 31, 2006

homeless snail posted:

I respect kameo. I got a copy of it for free when microsoft had that weird sweepstakes thing that everyone on SA cheated at, and it turned out to own

should have gone for flight simulator x

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
GUN was also a 360 launch title and GUN is great.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Isn't Kameo that service where you can get celebrities to say your name

Weedle
May 31, 2006

now i'm thinking about fsx and looking on the steam page to see how much it is, and this dlc is beyond insane. you can buy the airbus A320 and its three differently-sized variants in packs of two, for $45 each

Weedle
May 31, 2006

holy jesus a single two-seater cessna is $42

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i get that the target audience for this stuff is plane meganerds who are really into like, the cessna 152 specifically, but someone should be jailed for this

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

i've had this lovely, fuzzy avatar for over a decade what cool thing should i change it to

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Weedle posted:

now i'm thinking about fsx and looking on the steam page to see how much it is, and this dlc is beyond insane. you can buy the airbus A320 and its three differently-sized variants in packs of two, for $45 each

DCS modules are like $50 a pop at the cheapest, the F-14 is normally $80.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

grieving for Gandalf posted:

i've had this lovely, fuzzy avatar for over a decade what cool thing should i change it to

Someone's butt

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

PunkBoy posted:

I also remember playing the demo for this, but I forget if it was actually good or not.

Hello, I am a woman in a video game. I do not like wearing normal clothes or protective armour even though this is often considered practical for combat situations. Please look at my bottom

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

bushisms.txt posted:

No actual data on that yet, if you mean the lite. Some YouTubers jumped on what they thought was drift, but it wasn't, and initial reports were never publicly corrected. The joycons though, don't know if they've ever been fully fixed.

it looks like theyre the same contact design so theyre probably just more durable. anything using metal contacts rubbing against a conductive pad is going to have the same intrinsic issue and idk if theyll manage to work out a solution because the issue is with building a clickable stick within a tiny design :smith:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

grieving for Gandalf posted:

shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot pow

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

PunkBoy posted:

It was a skill-based third person action game where you had to constantly do comboes to stay airborne and stunt on huge swarms of bugs. Except that a big part of those comboes was pushing the stick in one direction and clicking it, which was hell on both controllers and hands. I don't know if it was "good" but it was certainly unique.

Also almost entirely eclipsed by Jet Set Radio Future, which the studio released at the same time.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

haveblue posted:

It was in development for a long time, like it was initially being developed for GameCube before the Rare sale

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Convex posted:

Hello, I am a woman in a video game. I do not like wearing normal clothes or protective armour even though this is often considered practical for combat situations. Please look at my bottom

hi convex, i'm cowcaster

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

LawfulWaffle posted:

A new set of Joycons costs $80?! And they start requiring maintenance after a year? Wth, this isn’t cool at all. I’m interested in some Switch games but I don’t want to drop money on them just to fight with controller drift while I try to play it.

I guess I’m gonna look into this contact cleaner fix and hope for the best.

if you're not planning on doing a lot of multiplayer, the pro controller is a way better investment. not as aesthetically pleasing tho :/

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Convex posted:

she's just following the major's lead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Wasn't a big factor in the Rare purchase Microsoft believing that Rare owned Donkey Kong?
I don't think so. I remember one of the stories from the purchase was how relatively painless everything was