Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

deong posted:

Awesome. Thanks.
I played with both and I like the textra a little more. So going with that. On the play store, it says that there are ads and paid content. Is there a way to pay for it so that I don't get any of that? I couldn't see a way bouncing in settings and on play store.

Go into Settings, and at the top is a section named General. The second entry should be Manage Ads. Tap on that, and you'll get an option to Upgrade To Pro. It's $3.99 USD.

I'm a Free user, and I set it to place Ads at the Bottom. They have never gotten in the way of me using Textra. I've never seen one show up inside an actual conversation, just on the list of texts I've sent/recieved. Due to my screen size, it shows up after the 5th contact.

AFAIK, removing ads is the only thing that's Paid Content, but I'm not a heavy texter, so there could be something I've missed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
What is the best timer app?
I was still using timely for that, but I recently needed to run several timers at once.
The stock timer can technically do that but the interface is just annoying.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

VictualSquid posted:

What is the best timer app?
I was still using timely for that, but I recently needed to run several timers at once.
The stock timer can technically do that but the interface is just annoying.

I've been using Multi Timer Stopwatch for several years now.
It covers all my needs in having both labeled timers and several timers running at once, with all kinds of restart/pause things available. Different layouts as well.

There might be something better out there. I haven't looked into the multi-timer market for a while now.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I notice in Chrome that I can no longer swipe away recommended news stories, but I can go into the options of each story and mark either the topic or the site as "not interested". Hopefully I'll finally stop getting Fox News updates!

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Fart of Presto posted:

I've been using Multi Timer Stopwatch for several years now.
It covers all my needs in having both labeled timers and several timers running at once, with all kinds of restart/pause things available. Different layouts as well.

There might be something better out there. I haven't looked into the multi-timer market for a while now.

I'll second this, it's a really nice app.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Uthor posted:

I notice in Chrome that I can no longer swipe away recommended news stories, but I can go into the options of each story and mark either the topic or the site as "not interested". Hopefully I'll finally stop getting Fox News updates!

I had Now give me an article from Breitbart the other day. I actually yelled at my phone when I noticed.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Brave browser my men.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

redeyes posted:

Brave browser my men.

Let's not install the weirdo cryptocurrency browser. Mobile firefox lets you use the same add-ons as the desktop version so you can get ublock origin and https everywhere and all the good ones.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
brave is the best browser on the market, and the BAT stuff is completely optional

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SpookyLizard posted:

brave is the best browser on the market, and the BAT stuff is completely optional

Optional or not, I place cryptocurrency right there with pedophilia for things I am not interested in associating with.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Since Google's own authentication app doesn't do backups and I'm in the market for a new phone, what's the best 2FA app out there?

I saw Authy but it doesn't seem to have good reviews...

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I use Authy :shrug: It works perfectly and auto backs up.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I've used Authy for ever without issue

Authenticator + is the other one people like from what i remember

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

Since Google's own authentication app doesn't do backups and I'm in the market for a new phone, what's the best 2FA app out there?

I saw Authy but it doesn't seem to have good reviews...

Authy's fine though I really don't like the idea of codes in a browser extension. Authenticator+ is fine though I've never gotten it to restore properly when moving phones (works fine if you just move the db file yourself) and it doesn't support the Pixel 4's face unlock. I was doing some testing for one called TOTP Authenticator which is also fine, it does support the new Biometric API and its gimmick is a Chrome extension you can install that will receive codes if you send them from the app though I mirror my clipboard to to my MacBook anyway so it wasn't any use to me.

Personally I just keep my codes in 1Password now which honestly works a lot better than fine. Bitwarden has a similar feature.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Authy, used on phone.

Or a YubiKey

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I used Authenticator+ and liked it pretty well, but recently just put all my codes into BitWarden, since I sprung for the Premium.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

LastInLine posted:

Optional or not, I place cryptocurrency right there with pedophilia for things I am not interested in associating with.

this is possibly one lf the dumbest things ive read all day, and ive been on tankie twitter all day

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

SpookyLizard posted:

this is possibly one lf the dumbest things ive read all day, and ive been on tankie twitter all day

Yeah I got nothing for that statement. Brave is nice though.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
*Pandemic sweeps the world, putting everyone in full panic mode*

Google:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Vykk.Draygo posted:

*Pandemic sweeps the world, putting everyone in full panic mode*

Google:

Option 2 for me!

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Can I change or get rid of the mobile bookmarks folder? Every time I bookmark something on phone it puts it there by default making it difficult to find. It didn't do it that way before.
Why the hell do they even try to separate the bookmarks by device type???

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sininu posted:

Can I change or get rid of the mobile bookmarks folder? Every time I bookmark something on phone it puts it there by default making it difficult to find. It didn't do it that way before.
Why the hell do they even try to separate the bookmarks by device type???

Yes, assuming you have sync turned on you can just go to Manage Bookmarks on a Chrome browser and delete Mobile Bookmarks. I thought Android Chrome would remember the last place you added a bookmark to and use that folder next time but now that I'm thinking about it that might just be how going to bookmarks works. That's how desktop Chrome works when adding them though.

It makes sense to me, I wouldn't want my mobile bookmarks and desktop bookmarks to default to the same structure but hey what do I know.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

LastInLine posted:

Yes, assuming you have sync turned on you can just go to Manage Bookmarks on a Chrome browser and delete Mobile Bookmarks. I thought Android Chrome would remember the last place you added a bookmark to and use that folder next time but now that I'm thinking about it that might just be how going to bookmarks works. That's how desktop Chrome works when adding them though.

It makes sense to me, I wouldn't want my mobile bookmarks and desktop bookmarks to default to the same structure but hey what do I know.

Mobile bookmarks folder can not be deleted and mobile Chrome picks it every time I add a new bookmark even though I change it to normal bookmarks folder.

I can't see the mobile bookmarks folder on desktop without going into the manager and only reason I bookmark something new on mobile is to easily check it out on my computer. Having different hidden folder makes it not easy and I often forget entirely that I bookmarked something because I can't see it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sininu posted:

Mobile bookmarks folder can not be deleted and mobile Chrome picks it every time I add a new bookmark even though I change it to normal bookmarks folder.

I can't see the mobile bookmarks folder on desktop without going into the manager and only reason I bookmark something new on mobile is to easily check it out on my computer. Having different hidden folder makes it not easy and I often forget entirely that I bookmarked something because I can't see it.

Heh, you're right. I just right clicked to see if Delete was there, I didn't notice it was greyed out.

This might help you or it might not, but I use Join to send tabs home when I want to read stuff later. (Actually I use Join for notification and clipboard mirroring, but it sends tabs too and I use it for that occasionally.) Also Chrome now has this feature built in by default. If I click in the address bar on desktop Chrome I have the option to open that tab on my Pixel and if I click the Share button on Android I get the option to send to my MacBook (it will have a Chrome logo). So either of those will do what you want without involving bookmarks. I prefer Join because it has a shitload of granularity to the sending, like files, links, send targets, etc. but the basic functionality of what you want to do seems to be baked in.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I use muzei for my wallpaper, but the last few mornings I've found my wallpaper has reset to a built-in photo background. It's always the same background, but it's not one associated with any app. I can't figure out what's happening. Has anyone run into this?

Edit: pixel 3 XL

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 27, 2020

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
It happens when I use the pixel stand to charge. I'm on a 4XL.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

calandryll posted:

It happens when I use the pixel stand to charge. I'm on a 4XL.

Hm, my only wireless charger is at work, where I haven't been for a couple weeks. But I'll experiment with wired charging and see if I can reproduce. Thanks.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I use muzei for my wallpaper, but the last few mornings I've found my wallpaper has reset to a built-in photo background. It's always the same background, but it's not one associated with any app. I can't figure out what's happening. Has anyone run into this?

Edit: pixel 3 XL

I had this happen with a live wallpaper whenever Android Web View updated itself

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Not sure if this belongs here or another thread, but I'm having problems with Pocketcasts and Google Home / Nest speakers. After a couple of minutes of playing Pocketcasts on the speaker my phone seems to "forget" that it's casting and while the audio continues on the speaker, the phone shows as paused. If I want to continue listening on my phone later I need to manually scrub through the episode to find where I got up to.

There's also times when the app just does not connect properly. It shows as connected, the speaker plays the "connected" audio cue and the play button changes to a pause one, but the relevant podcast does not start playing. When I push the cast button in Pocketcasts it showed I'm connected, but says "no media selected".

I'm not sure if this is a Google Home issue or a Pocketcasts issue because both things work perfectly in all other scenarios. Phone is a OnePlus 3 running Android 9 and speaker is a Nest Mini 2 if that makes a difference.

Edit: the "not playing" issue looked like it was an episode that I had downloaded to my phone that had been subsequently deleted from the feed. So my phone had it but the speaker couldn't stream it. One mystery solved at least.

Party Boat fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Mar 28, 2020

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Party Boat posted:

Not sure if this belongs here or another thread, but I'm having problems with Pocketcasts and Google Home / Nest speakers. After a couple of minutes of playing Pocketcasts on the speaker my phone seems to "forget" that it's casting and while the audio continues on the speaker, the phone shows as paused. If I want to continue listening on my phone later I need to manually scrub through the episode to find where I got up to.

There's also times when the app just does not connect properly. It shows as connected, the speaker plays the "connected" audio cue and the play button changes to a pause one, but the relevant podcast does not start playing. When I push the cast button in Pocketcasts it showed I'm connected, but says "no media selected".

I'm not sure if this is a Google Home issue or a Pocketcasts issue because both things work perfectly in all other scenarios. Phone is a OnePlus 3 running Android 9 and speaker is a Nest Mini 2 if that makes a difference.

Edit: the "not playing" issue looked like it was an episode that I had downloaded to my phone that had been subsequently deleted from the feed. So my phone had it but the speaker couldn't stream it. One mystery solved at least.

Okay you're casting from your phone to the Home target and then the phone forgets its casting and the controls stop working and the position isn't synced if the episode is unfinished. Just making sure I have this straight. Also to clarify, when initiating the cast, you're doing it from within the app by tapping the cast icon? Is the phone being charged and does it have a steady connection to the wifi? Lastly are the episodes you're playing downloaded to the phone or are they streaming?

This shouldn't make a difference but it might: Have you paid for the web player and do you have a Pocket Casts account to which you're logged in?

If you pause the cast with voice controls on the Home does the phone UI update? Are you leaving the phone in the Pocket Casts app or are you doing other things with it while listening (i.e. kicking the app out of memory)?

Honestly this sounds like it could be OP's aggressive memory clearing killing a running app.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Thanks for answering. Going to answer these as best I can:

Okay you're casting from your phone to the Home target and then the phone forgets its casting and the controls stop working and the position isn't synced if the episode is unfinished. Just making sure I have this straight.

Correct.

Also to clarify, when initiating the cast, you're doing it from within the app by tapping the cast icon?

Also correct.

Is the phone being charged and does it have a steady connection to the wifi?

Not always being charged but it's not going into battery saver mode. Wifi connection is solid.

Lastly are the episodes you're playing downloaded to the phone or are they streaming?

Downloaded to phone.

This shouldn't make a difference but it might: Have you paid for the web player and do you have a Pocket Casts account to which you're logged in?

Not paid for the web player but I do have a logged in account.

If you pause the cast with voice controls on the Home does the phone UI update?

It doesn't.

Are you leaving the phone in the Pocket Casts app or are you doing other things with it while listening (i.e. kicking the app out of memory)?

Doing other things.

Honestly this sounds like it could be OP's aggressive memory clearing killing a running app.

I agree that's the most likely issue - but other apps I cast in this way (Spotify, BBC Sounds) can recover from this state. It looks like the speaker tells the app where it's playing from and the two sync up. With Pocketcasts the app takes priority - in fact I just tested and if I reopen the app while the speaker is playing it suddenly jumps back to the last point the app registered playing.

Assuming that is the issue, is there anything I can do at a system level to keep Pocketcasts in memory?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Edge on Android has ad blocking as well, if you don't want Brave, it's a good alternative.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Party Boat posted:

Assuming that is the issue, is there anything I can do at a system level to keep Pocketcasts in memory?

I guess I'd start with excluding it from battery optimization but if there's an ongoing notification it should already be "unkillable" by the system. This might be something OP did that can't be fixed. I've not seen this happen in a long time (Pixel XL and now Pixel 4 XL with my wife's Pixel and Pixel 2 when she had those) but we also never cast Pocket Casts from the phone (I always do it from the web player). Obviously if you want to be sure it's a memory thing see if it ever does it when you aren't doing anything else. Like if you start it and leave the phone alone and if the phone UI doesn't die then it's certainly the memory management on the phone.

It's interesting that you said this happens with other apps too but that they can recover. Pocket Casts' support has always been excellent, even since the sale I think they still do a great job. Tell them your problem and I'd mention that you think it's the phone's memory management killing the app but that other players recover from it whereas PC doesn't. Maybe it's something they can fix down the road.

Edit: vvv Haha, shows what I know.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Mar 28, 2020

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Just want to say that I have the exact same issue with PicketCasts. Pixel 3 XL.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I had the same issue with Pocketcasts and my Pixel 2. I've since switched to Spotify for podcasts and even when the notification disappears opening the app shows the correct location at least

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

I also have that exact problem with Pocket Casts Chromecast on my Pixel 2 XL. Really irritating and it's been a problem for ages.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Party Boat posted:

Not sure if this belongs here or another thread, but I'm having problems with Pocketcasts and Google Home / Nest speakers.

There is a known Pocket Casts bug where it behaves similarly to what you described when you use playback speed above 1.4 or so

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Always on 1.0 playback speed. Not sure whether to be relieved that others are having the same issue - that reduces the odds that I'm doing something stupid that can be easily fixed!

I've changed the battery optimisation and will test it out later on.

Half an hour of listening and it's still nicely synced up

Party Boat fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Mar 28, 2020

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
RIP Dark Sky

https://blog.darksky.net/dark-sky-has-a-new-home/

Funnily, I learned this as a weather alert on my phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Well, gently caress them too.