Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
SHOW US THAT HOG, DYNAMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

I miss 80s/early 90s robot designs :`(

Same.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
wonder how much it costs a reploid to get their chassis repainted

maybe it’s part of their health plan

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

Based off what we know I assume it costs nothing at all and the ability to alter the color of your chassis is built into most reploids. Mega Man, X and Zero obviously can recolor basically at will and Mega Man Command Missions has them instantly able to shift into their various super form.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Oxxidation posted:

how much does it cost to change your shirt

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Now that I've finished my challenge run replays, I decided to make this.

link

hard stuff gets to go above easy stuff but design matters most. highest tier is well designed and hard, lowest tier is badly designed and easy.
for instance, something kinda dull like z4 intro boss is more highly rated because it exists to tutorialize zero knuckle and the game in general, while Weil phase 2 is lower because it's a bad combination of a pretty tight timer and "wait for the boss to let you hit it" design.

probably skewed a bit since I've been playing a while trying to nohit these bosses instead of just beat them but I tried to account for that.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

So this apparently came out today. It’s a roguelike with Battle Network gameplay.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R64wyxTu0Ro

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Dabir posted:

As far as I'm aware the only one designed without any is X2. You can cut X1 and X3 down to one revisit each, and if you're really good you can tank damage to get to the Flame Mammoth heart tank and avoid that revisit.
Just going back to this for a bit, remembered that X2 is actually not designed to not have any revisits, and is instead meant to have one utter bullshit revisit. The heart subtank in Bubble Crab is clearly meant to require you to have charged Bubble Splash to reach it since that allows you to jump higher in water - the only reason you can get it without a revisit is thanks to the movement glitch that makes you jump higher when you walk down a slope allowing you to just reach a wall that lets you get up the surface so you can skip across it and grab the heart.

Leaving Mega Man X7, of all games, as the only MMX game that seems like it was intentionally designed with at least the possibility of getting all the hearts/tanks/Light capsules without any revisits, at least if you don't care about saving every Reploid.

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Mar 26, 2020

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Augus posted:

So this apparently came out today.
Oh cool-

quote:

It’s a roguelike

:shepicide:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

KennyMan666 posted:

Just going back to this for a bit, remembered that X2 is actually not designed to not have any revisits, and is instead meant to have one utter bullshit revisit. The heart in Bubble Crab is clearly meant to require you to have charged Bubble Splash to reach it since that allows you to jump higher in water - the only reason you can get it without a revisit is thanks to the movement glitch that makes you jump higher when you walk down a slope allowing you to just reach a wall that lets you get up the surface so you can skip across it and grab the heart.

Leaving Mega Man X7, of all games, as the only MMX game that seems like it was intentionally designed with at least the possibility of getting all the hearts/tanks/Light capsules without any revisits, at least if you don't care about saving every Reploid.

Do we know that's a glitch? I always figured it was intentional, how would something like that happen by accident?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Getting a speed boost walking down slopes was probably intentional.

Having it apply to your jump to give you more height probably wasn't.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Yeah, it's probably just weird interactions between things. Notably, you don't get the extra jump height if you dash down a slope, only if you walk. (also oops it's the subtank in Crab's stage, not the heart)

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Augus posted:

So this apparently came out today. It’s a roguelike with Battle Network gameplay.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R64wyxTu0Ro

Looks like it’s heavily inspired by Slay the Spire. Seems cool, might pick it up if impressions aren’t terrible.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

KennyMan666 posted:

Just going back to this for a bit, remembered that X2 is actually not designed to not have any revisits, and is instead meant to have one utter bullshit revisit. The heart subtank in Bubble Crab is clearly meant to require you to have charged Bubble Splash to reach it since that allows you to jump higher in water - the only reason you can get it without a revisit is thanks to the movement glitch that makes you jump higher when you walk down a slope allowing you to just reach a wall that lets you get up the surface so you can skip across it and grab the heart.

Wasn't there a mechanic in X2 where you could jump repeatedly on the surface of water?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

There is, and you have to use it to get the sub tank this way, but the only way to get to the surface in the first place is an extremely tight jump that just barely scrapes the bottom of the wall. I'm not inclined to count it out as intentional seeing as the X1 buster capsule is about as bad.

E: Also there's pretty much no other use for surface jumping, and it was definitely designed into a puzzle in X3. I think it's one of those things like the buster upgrade in Wheel Gator, where you're "supposed" to come back the leg parts to get it but Strike Chain works if you can pull it off. Apparently you can do it with nothing too?

Dabir fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 26, 2020

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I got that Wheel Gator one with nothing, because I thought it was just a bullshit jump I had to deal with.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Dabir posted:

Apparently you can do it with nothing too?

I swear I did it once years ago and have never been able to replicate it despite pretty much trying every time I play the game. At this point I'm convinced I imagined it, or that possibly any conceivable amount of lag from various ports and collections makes it impossible for me to do it.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Phantasium posted:

I swear I did it once years ago and have never been able to replicate it despite pretty much trying every time I play the game. At this point I'm convinced I imagined it, or that possibly any conceivable amount of lag from various ports and collections makes it impossible for me to do it.

You have to basically pull a pixel perfect dash jump off the right spot of the wall to be able to reach it, so I would not be surprised if lag makes it even harder.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Or possibly i'm just old. One or the other.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Even speedrunners struggle with getting that jump. They're always nervous in marathons. It might also be that the shaking of the tank can prevent you from getting it?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

IronicDongz posted:

Now that I've finished my challenge run replays, I decided to make this.

While I am mostly ok with this list. Harpuia 2 is way better then Harpuia 1.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Harpuia 2 is technically a little less predictable but still just as vulnerable to jumping behind, and mmz2 bosses are less fun in general for me because they got rid of how you could use standing slash repeatedly. so on hard mode there's no "big punish" option, all you do is hit them once no matter how big the opening was.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

IronicDongz posted:

and mmz2 bosses are less fun in general for me because they got rid of how you could use standing slash repeatedly. so on hard mode there's no "big punish" option, all you do is hit them once no matter how big the opening was.

um, what

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

IronicDongz posted:

Harpuia 2 is technically a little less predictable but still just as vulnerable to jumping behind, and mmz2 bosses are less fun in general for me because they got rid of how you could use standing slash repeatedly. so on hard mode there's no "big punish" option, all you do is hit them once no matter how big the opening was.

Uh no they didn't.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I know what Dongz means. MMZ2 introduced the system where all attacks trigger boss invincibility, but different attacks have a different "value" for the invincibility they cause, and a higher value attack can still deal damage, so you can do a full saber combo and they'll all hit but if you break off at any point during the combo the boss will be invincible to, say, buster shots. In MMZ1 and the PSX X games that system isn't a thing, they just had some attacks not trigger invincibility.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Yeah, I'm not talking about the triple slash combo, I'm talking about how the 1st hit of the standing slash(or standing stab from the triple rod) does not cause bosses to get invincibility at all. so in mmz1, you can do as many standing slashes to a boss as their opening allows, but you can't do this in mmz2. this is way more relevant in hard mode, where you just can't have the triple slash anyways.
so mmz1 lets you still have a way to get bigger damage that commits you more to the attack.

that's not all though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI50sz7-cAA

1st clip is using the standing slash to hit harpuia repeatedly like what I was talking about, 2nd clip is standing slash 1st hit repeatedly not comboing in mmz2 so I just have to wait out boss invincibility even when they're not doing anything or completely whiffing, 3rd clip is a fun combo against rainbow devil in mmz1.

that 3rd combo is a big part of why I prefer bosses in mmz1 over bosses in mmz2-the standing saber/rod attacks not causing invincibility really opens up the ways you can combo bosses. not only can you be more aggressive, but you can mix different attacks in a way that you can only really do with specific EX attacks in later games(which isn't possible on hard mode and also absolutely shreds bosses, which is kind of lame).
in no other mmz game can you do stuff like standing slash*2, diagonal poke since he's out of standing slash range, pogo to dodge the punch, and have it all combo.

also the triple rod is a much more fun and useful weapon than the gimmicky chain rod. that's not really separate from the combo stuff though because part of what makes it useful and fun is that you can use both it and the saber in the same combo instead of just using the saber by itself to triple slash.

also I think it's really lame how they reduced the guardian's HP down to 2 bars in mmz2 so that their "super" forms would be tankier in comparison when the super forms are just less fun to fight than the normal forms. especially fefnir's which is just awful

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The first guardians also have a rad boss fight track

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

IronicDongz posted:

Yeah, I'm not talking about the triple slash combo, I'm talking about how the 1st hit of the standing slash(or standing stab from the triple rod) does not cause bosses to get invincibility at all. so in mmz1, you can do as many standing slashes to a boss as their opening allows, but you can't do this in mmz2. this is way more relevant in hard mode, where you just can't have the triple slash anyways.
so mmz1 lets you still have a way to get bigger damage that commits you more to the attack.

that's not all though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI50sz7-cAA

1st clip is using the standing slash to hit harpuia repeatedly like what I was talking about, 2nd clip is standing slash 1st hit repeatedly not comboing in mmz2 so I just have to wait out boss invincibility even when they're not doing anything or completely whiffing, 3rd clip is a fun combo against rainbow devil in mmz1.

that 3rd combo is a big part of why I prefer bosses in mmz1 over bosses in mmz2-the standing saber/rod attacks not causing invincibility really opens up the ways you can combo bosses. not only can you be more aggressive, but you can mix different attacks in a way that you can only really do with specific EX attacks in later games(which isn't possible on hard mode and also absolutely shreds bosses, which is kind of lame).
in no other mmz game can you do stuff like standing slash*2, diagonal poke since he's out of standing slash range, pogo to dodge the punch, and have it all combo.

Yeah but I think single slash multiple times is lamer than triple slash. If you need a big punish for a split second in 2 use the charge attack.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

mega man zero is all "dark post-apocalyptic dystopia, sci-fi racism, war is hell" and poo poo and then fefnir comes out and transforms into a toy car

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Augus posted:

mega man zero is all "dark post-apocalyptic dystopia, sci-fi racism, war is hell" and poo poo and then fefnir comes out and transforms into a toy car

All the bosses look like they're assembled from Lego.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

You can’t use triple or charged slash in hard mode

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Screaming Idiot posted:

All the bosses look like they're assembled from Lego.

Wait, wait, don’t say it, let me guess

Which means they’re for pedophiles, am I in the right ballpark?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

hatty posted:

Looks like it’s heavily inspired by Slay the Spire. Seems cool, might pick it up if impressions aren’t terrible.

I backed it but didn't play any of the betas. Did my first run just now and made it to the second boss, and boy is there a lot to track in this game. It's got very heavy StS influence (not sure how long it was in development, so it may be parallel rather than influenced). The pace is a lot faster than most of Battle Network.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
One Step from Eden is absolutely made for people who wanted harder Battle Network, not more Battle Network.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah but I think single slash multiple times is lamer than triple slash. If you need a big punish for a split second in 2 use the charge attack.
single slash mutiple times is obviously not as cool as triple slash but the game that lets you triple slash with the properties I was just talking about does not exist

of course the charge slash is really fuckin strong but it's not a long big commitment attack like doing multiple standing melee attacks so it's really not what I'm talking about at all, even if I wasn't playing on hard mode I wouldn't want to use charge attack because all the rest of the z-saber moveset has a purpose that is totally invalidated by the charge slash because it's just better than everything else. (thay's why I play on hard mode :ssh: )

TheKingofSprings posted:

please no we already came to an amicable understanding on this pages ago

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

TheKingofSprings posted:

Please lets not dredge this back up again.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

One Step from Eden's aesthetic would ruin it for me if being a roguelite hadn't already done that. Shame, really.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I guess I'm in the end stretch for ZX (have absolutely little memory of this game but I know I did finish it).

Area K loving sucks.

Also, gently caress this secret boss fight that is literally two rooms away from a regular story mission. The boss seems to completely break the rules and is just like "gently caress your invulnerability period after getting hit" and just combos you to death off of anything. This would be the moment I wish I could play Model X regularly, but someone at Capcom decided "nah, you don't need this, just play Zero again" because I swear the ZX buster shot just isn't as strong.

I am just... so over ZX at this point and I really, really hope ZX Advent ends up being better.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

If you complete ZX's story as both characters, all new runs from then on will keep model X when you get ZX.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

MechaX posted:

I guess I'm in the end stretch for ZX (have absolutely little memory of this game but I know I did finish it).

Area K loving sucks.

Also, gently caress this secret boss fight that is literally two rooms away from a regular story mission. The boss seems to completely break the rules and is just like "gently caress your invulnerability period after getting hit" and just combos you to death off of anything. This would be the moment I wish I could play Model X regularly, but someone at Capcom decided "nah, you don't need this, just play Zero again" because I swear the ZX buster shot just isn't as strong.

I am just... so over ZX at this point and I really, really hope ZX Advent ends up being better.

When Omega is in midair you can hit him with a rolling slash and follow it up with a triple slash during his hitstun I think

E: That’s also the best bonus boss fight in a platformer btw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Seriously, Omega is such a goddamn fun boss. Don't forget that your charged slash has Pierce, so you can do a charged shot and follow up on a confirm with a charged slash and get respectable damage from a ranged starter. Make use of the spinning slash when jumping over him, it won't always connect but if it does you at least get some damage while trying to evade. Also, he likes to respond to you jumping in on him with a rising slash, so by approaching from the air and doubling back, you can get a punish when he lands.