Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Plorkyeran posted:

x264 has a --tune placebo option and questions about why it doesn't compress any better than veryslow despite how much slower it is are much more common than they should be
Maybe it would be more appropriate if there were instead lots of people claiming it was so much better than the other presets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

mystes posted:

Maybe it would be more appropriate if there were instead lots of people claiming it was so much better than the other presets?

—tune $40000AFootSpeakerCablesWithCrystalsTapedToThemAndPluggedIntoAnUpsideDownLaunchPlayStation1

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Plorkyeran posted:

x264 has a --tune placebo option and questions about why it doesn't compress any better than veryslow despite how much slower it is are much more common than they should be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-TLSBdHe1A
hint: not even the difference between -O2 and -O3 matters

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

oh wow i haven't thought about this article in years. an absolute classic of funy computer

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quote:

To me, an extra 0.1% performance increase, even if I am only imagining it to be faster, is certainly worth one day a week recompiling all of the latest packages from source code.

well at least it makes you happy i guess

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
some people derive pleasure from meaningless numbers going up

some people derive pleasure from meaningless numbers going down

let us celebrate the diversity of the human race, friends

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Lutha Mahtin posted:

oh wow i haven't thought about this article in years. an absolute classic of funy computer

quote:

"As has been pointed out to the author of the relevant "advisory" several times, Mozilla has neither a "local zone" nor "predictable cache file locations". The author assumed that the random string generated for his cache file location was the same as everyone else's. I wonder how Gentoo can have fixed, QAed and tested the fix for a vulnerability which doesn't exist?"

god drat

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

quote:

Gentoo is more educational than mainstream distros. It encourages you to look under the hood and effectively turns a lot of n00bs into l33ts."

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Perhaps it is time for some secfuck?
Zoom iOS app sends data to facebook even if you don't have a facebook account.
Their statement makes it look like they care more about getting caught than having done it in the first place.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

D. Ebdrup posted:

Perhaps it is time for some secfuck?
Zoom iOS app sends data to facebook even if you don't have a facebook account.
Their statement makes it look like they care more about getting caught than having done it in the first place.

Are you surprised?

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
that the facebook sdk grabs a shitload of data it probably shouldn't?

water: wet, etc.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

they've apologized and removed the facebook sdk: https://blog.zoom.us/wordpress/2020/03/27/zoom-use-of-facebook-sdk-in-ios-client/

kinda impressed with their turnaround time on that change

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

DuckConference posted:

they've apologized and removed the facebook sdk: https://blog.zoom.us/wordpress/2020/03/27/zoom-use-of-facebook-sdk-in-ios-client/

kinda impressed with their turnaround time on that change
almost as if they knew there would be complaints once people discovered they were handing info to facebook willy-nilly?????

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

quote:

Zoom takes its users’ privacy extremely seriously.
stopped reading there

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

jre posted:

god drat

there was a lot of that

—gently caress-upstream was a lifestyle, really

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I wonder if anyone has ever computed how much energy has been wasted by building all those duplicated bins.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

the few dozen people who kept up The Gentoo Way for long periods of time are currently holding bitcoin’s beer

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quote:

It is time to take out the trash, and we need to stop supporting pay basis distros such as communist Red Hat. They are charging us for the stuff thats spose to be free.

haha fuckin' communists, always trying to charge money for free things

Subjunctive posted:

the few dozen people who kept up The Gentoo Way for long periods of time are currently holding bitcoin’s beer

yeah the whole time i was reading it i kept thinking "this is exactly that particular brand of coiner cognitive dissonance, i bet all these dudes are way into bitcoin now"

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

I imagine there had been a time where you’d get some performance boost from building it yourself, but that probably went away as distro x86 builds finally dropped 486 support

but idk if it was the case even then

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I switched from redhat and Slackware to gentoo in college (early 2000s) and the difference was amazing. not performance, but having a package manager that actually functioned. rpm hell was real and terrible, so I always ended up building from source anyway on redhat, and Slackware didn't do binaries in a meaningful way (they had a few packages but...yikes). being able to use emerge was like a whole new world

if I were smarter I would've just started with Debian or something but 🤷‍♀️

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

could have been worse, you could have been on suze

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I installed Stormix linux once

cause there was a tornado on the cd

it didnt work but the cd was cool

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Progressive JPEG posted:

I imagine there had been a time where you’d get some performance boost from building it yourself, but that probably went away as distro x86 builds finally dropped 486 support

compiling for i386 on linux assumed a really ancient minimum hardware target for a long time (and might still?), so just building for your actual cpu probably did get you some legitimate across-the-board speedups even if the abi was still hobbled

the minimum hardware target for x86_64 is a lot better and the comparative advantages of e.g. having guaranteed sse3 support or having better bounds on instruction timings are just not that big for most software. the compiler backend folks at apple got really excited about haswell and made an optional slice that assumed it as a minimum and then were surprised that it wasn't even close to worthwhile to roll out system-wide

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

rjmccall posted:

compiling for i386 on linux assumed a really ancient minimum hardware target for a long time (and might still?), so just building for your actual cpu probably did get you some legitimate across-the-board speedups even if the abi was still hobbled

i think the distros gradually dropped a 386 target for “i686” so it may have gotten better with that

but thanks for the info

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Progressive JPEG posted:

although it's not quite a distro, some haven't as there can be good reasons not to mess with the options if you only have a superficial understanding of them

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

no, and gently caress you for making that connection

you use gentoo because of customizability and dependency control, not because of ricing cflags. it's perfect for embedded work too

gentoo with systemd is the best distro

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Tankakern posted:

you use gentoo because of customizability and dependency control, not because of ricing cflags. it's perfect for embedded work too

Source your quotes

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

D. Ebdrup posted:

although it's not quite a distro, some haven't as there can be good reasons not to mess with the options if you only have a superficial understanding of them

Is there an update to this from either last decade or this decade?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tankakern posted:

!

well gosh

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Subjunctive posted:

!

well gosh

it's been a while since i've seen someone get flamed over a distro

takes you back, doesn't it?

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Tankakern posted:

yeah i actually would like a version of kde plasma 5 with the file indexer (baloo) completely removed, but the file manager (dolphin) and other things link against it so it cant be uninstalled without pulling out a lot of other stuff

this would be exactly the use (heh) case for gentoo for a desktop, but i havent done that since 2007 and the rest of the experience of using gentoo is not at all worth it

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Hollow Talk posted:

Is there an update to this from either last decade or this decade?
you'll note that the i486 option was put back in relatively recently
this was done because things like unifying PAE pmaps (giving the option of handling up to 24GB without PAE), i386 4/4G split (which gives 4GB addressable space for both the kernel and userspace per-process each), just like atomics were implemented to make sure 32bit platforms are still usable even for things like ZFS
at least until the 19th of January, 2038 for now - but that'll be fixed too

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Lysidas posted:

yeah i actually would like a version of kde plasma 5 with the file indexer (baloo) completely removed, but the file manager (dolphin) and other things link against it so it cant be uninstalled without pulling out a lot of other stuff

this would be exactly the use (heh) case for gentoo for a desktop, but i havent done that since 2007 and the rest of the experience of using gentoo is not at all worth it

the magic of gentoo is that you'll never feel the need to do a reinstall, so if you did bother to set up a kde system as you'd like, you're set for life

kde has really good support on gentoo too, using it to write this post atm

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Tankakern posted:

lmfao

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Tankakern posted:

the magic of gentoo is that you'll never feel the need to do a reinstall, so if you did bother to set up a kde system as you'd like, you're set for life

not to mention that reinstalling would take 7 days and add $50 to your power bill

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

computers are much faster nowadays than in 2007, just saying

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Tankakern posted:

kde has really good support on gentoo too, using it to write this post atm

I've started my factorio games from scratch like a 100 times now because I felt it became a convoluted mess instead of a pretty base

I fear what I would become if I tried to install gentoo

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

are we really having the gentoo advocacy conversation?

I apologize for my role in provoking this, the least interesting of all possible Linux conversations

ebdrup, hit us with some cvsup nostalgia to change the topic

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I only recognize linux distros by the package management. So either yum, apt, brew or trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i remember like six or seven years ago i tried futzing around with some ancient Wyse thin terminal box that was basically a VIA C3 mini-ITX board with a tiny CF card for storage, and decided to try throwing a super-minimal linux distro on it, only to find that the CPU was lacking key features needed by nearly every distro i tried