Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That segment was loving terrible, it's one of those things where I just don't get how people like it (they're not wrong to like it, I just don't get it!).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Jerusalem posted:

That segment was loving terrible, it's one of those things where I just don't get how people like it (they're not wrong to like it, I just don't get it!).

Sandman in shorts

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't like those segments either. But like I think a lot of that is just that everyone is playing it straight and don't have the rhythms of the joke down.

But like as a creative idea it seems right up BTE's alley.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I mean, on the one hand it does make it basically impossible to take Raven seriously as a main event threat... but WCW had long, long since abandoned any inkling of that, so I'm not sure you can say they hurt him.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The closest Raven got to the main event in WCW was beating DDP for the US title and he got squashed a day later as I recall.

Although I did love that Goldberg vs The Flock match.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I'm glad Raven wasn't revealed as the dark order leader in AEW. I didn't mind the flock and ravens what about raven thing in wcw and ecw but I think I've had my fill of him

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I think the biggest reason people hated those Raven promos was because he didn't get a fair shot at the crowded main event scene and was usually one of the highlights of the shows he was on, then he randomly changes up his character. I don't remember any of his matches after this whole thing started, just Kanyon.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't think they really followed up on it in any serious way. He and Kanyon just returned as a team which led to that period where they were working with Saturn, Malenko/Benoit, and the West Texas Rednecks over the tag belts, and then Kanyon turned on Raven to form the Jersey Triad.

Sandman got repackaged as Hardcore Hak and thrown into that hardcore division and I think Chastity was his valet for awhile. They just scrapped the idea that they were related to Raven. They just buried the angle, I presume because everyone absolutely loathed it.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos
I just remembered Raven's pre-ECW gimmick was a spoiled preppy rich guy. Those segments make so much sense now! :aaa:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I think there's obviously a lot of clear thought there with Raven calling back to his old gimmick and bringing back his old enemies/allies as his siblings and friends. Its weird and it didn't land and it was probably way too meta and out there for the time even if it was executed better. But I GET it.

Like even the idea of Sandman talking about his wife and kids feels like its got all kind of goofy meta subtext with the stuff Raven did with Sandman's family in ECW.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Doc M posted:

For some reason, Wrestlecrap absolutely despised these vignettes and went on and on about how stupid they were and how WCW killed Raven's character because "RAVEN DOESN'T SMILE!"

I think they had the gigantic flaws that there wasn't an explanation for the camera crew, and the new gimmick didn't have a way to be portrayed in wrestling matches.

Broken Hardy had both just fine.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

There's tons of stuff Matt has done that defy the logic of "camera men" or whatever. I mean, there's a sentient drone that projects holograms and actual "magic." People just generally go with it because they want to enjoy it.

People excuse a lot when they're enjoying something and nitpick a lot when they're not.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Matt Hardy's magic and the sentient drone is no worse than Kane's fire, Undertaker's urn, The Great Kabuki's mist or the Dungeon of Doom. That's why I find it odd when Cornette complains about it so much, this silly stuff was just as prevalent in the 70's, 80's and 90's.

Wrestling being silly and illogical is kind of what makes it fun

Duke Pukem fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Mar 28, 2020

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Alot of wrestling requires the viewer to play along and people pick and choose when they want to play along.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Over the last 20 years WWE has done wrestling comedy and 'magic' so badly that people now think it's not possible

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I'm glad Raven wasn't revealed as the dark order leader in AEW. I didn't mind the flock and ravens what about raven thing in wcw and ecw but I think I've had my fill of him

Plus with those groups you wanted to see Raven get his rear end kicked for being a cult con man who treated his charges like dirt. Which was fine because Raven was still in shape and less beat up then.

I do not wanna see Raven wrestle now. It would be sad and lovely. And I loved Raven, in an ideal world, the nWo is vanquished, Raven beats Sting via shenanigans and Sting or DDP spends the year mowing through the flock to get at Sting, as I always thought a Sting vs Raven feud could be great.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Mar 28, 2020

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Out of context twenty years later the Raven/Sandman skits are really funny character comedy.

In context twenty years ago they were telling everyone the cool character they liked was bullshit and fake, because wrestling is fake.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

STAC Goat posted:

There's tons of stuff Matt has done that defy the logic of "camera men" or whatever. I mean, there's a sentient drone that projects holograms and actual "magic." People just generally go with it because they want to enjoy it.

People excuse a lot when they're enjoying something and nitpick a lot when they're not.

I mean yeah, but "this must be recorded".

Raven's one was explicitly playing to the camera. Yeah it's nit picking but why were we suddenly seeing the real Raven, and what would this mean going forward in the ring.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

The first time I saw Raven he was doing that sulk in the corner thing and I thought wow, that's kinda cool. I respect sulking. And brooding too. Then they told this wild adventure that surprises you that Raven's actually rich. Which made sense to me since in my mind dude had to have some means since he mostly hosed around wrestling(ECW was a myth at this point for me).

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Raven moping at the Nitro Party was cool and funny.

e: Dave going after Dana for being a jerk during the crisis was good stuff. "My heart bleeds for a company that made $300M in profit last year."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Just listening to the Observer Radio with Jim Valley and Dave talking about the Top wrestlers of the decade, and Dave's dog going ham in the background rules :3:

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

coconono posted:

The first time I saw Raven he was doing that sulk in the corner thing and I thought wow, that's kinda cool. I respect sulking. And brooding too. Then they told this wild adventure that surprises you that Raven's actually rich. Which made sense to me since in my mind dude had to have some means since he mostly hosed around wrestling(ECW was a myth at this point for me).

Raven on Austin's podcast - "You really only need 4 or 5 spots. I consider sitting in the corner one of my spots."

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

:agreed:

But he came back after weeks and weeks of his only presence on the show being those vignettes and he was super over as a babyface, and even back then, I was like, "...seriously? Okay, I suppose."

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think people just liked Raven. He was very good and excellent at connecting with people, got himself completely over in WCW with virtually no effort from WCW, and was part of a really good period for the WCW tag division at that time.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

I think people just liked Raven. He was very good and excellent at connecting with people, got himself completely over in WCW with virtually no effort from WCW, and was part of a really good period for the WCW tag division at that time.

He was booking the division! It ruled.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Raven/Saturn, Benoit/Malenko, Filthy Animals, West Texas Rednecks, Jersey Triad. When people make jokes about me watching WCW in '99 I take no mind because that's the reason I was watching.

But I didn't know Raven was booking it. The two guys I've gained a ton more respect of from that time period over the years are Raven and Konnan. Both had a lot more to do with the stuff I liked than I realized at the time.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Jerusalem posted:

Just listening to the Observer Radio with Jim Valley and Dave talking about the Top wrestlers of the decade, and Dave's dog going ham in the background rules :3:

Yeah I loved it. He tried to no sell it but Valley wasn't having it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Which reminds me, does anybody know why there hasn't been a Pacific Rim Podcast in awhile? I think it had been awhile that they hadn't done any before the coronavirus lockdown even, and you'd think now would be a good time to do one?

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Jerusalem posted:

Which reminds me, does anybody know why there hasn't been a Pacific Rim Podcast in awhile? I think it had been awhile that they hadn't done any before the coronavirus lockdown even, and you'd think now would be a good time to do one?
It looks like Fumi's still active on social media, too...

Dr. Zoggle
Aug 12, 2006
Go Blue!

Jerusalem posted:

couple days ago on twitter someone asked Fumi about it and he said he'll be back soon

https://twitter.com/Fumihikodayo/status/1242467873726951427

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Mob posted:

Honestly, the Nerd Collectible Secondary Market is an amazing way to launder drug money

If it means I get toys and drugs I’m on board.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

The_Rob posted:

If it means I get toys and drugs I’m on board.

yeah my dude has a pretty good barter exchange rate for miniatures/gunpla/figures to weed. I haven't used it yet because I'd die before I give up my gundams.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Bryan: There are ways to live in a bubble

:allears:

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Dave's alarm going off today had me spending a full minute looking around my house until Bryan finally asked Dave about it.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
https://twitter.com/bryanalvarez/status/1244321265202024448

Poor Granny :(

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Video allowed for a fun little joke in this recap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA11aWXWIMs&t=201s

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh man, poor Granny :smith:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Crazy Uncle Wayne was on a few early shows, I think. Or I may be misremembering.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
It's time for THE BILL AND BUDDY SHOW!

https://twitter.com/BTSheetsPod/status/1244477594214510598

Also:

https://twitter.com/BTSheetsPod/status/1244370946280087552

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Oh my Good Brother.

It's BAAAAAAAAACK!