Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Certain types of mask do utilize a charged surface to capture particles. Washing them in soap can gently caress that up. Homemade cloth masks fashioned from a t-shirt or whatever do not fit into this category and can be washed.

And in general yes, soap is effective against this virus. Small comfort, but let’s take what we can get here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotti Fuehrscheim
Jun 13, 2019

QuarkJets posted:

Why can't it just be thrown in a normal load of laundry? The virus has a lipid layer, so laundry detergent should be extremely effective. But I don't really know

I didn't ask my niece that question. The procedure she described is simple enough. Probably this method is more generally valid for other nasties as well. I don't know.

Dick Wolf
Apr 5, 2009
So as a nurse I'm curious why so many are convinced Plaquenil and Azithromycin are miracle cures based on that one very limited study. Anybody here a physician, especially rheumatologist or infectious disease? Maybe Plaquenil would help with inflammation from the virus and the body's response to it, but there are many drugs that fight inflammation, like steroids that are often used in severe respiratory infection and COPD. I think Covid tends to cause secondary infection in the lungs, often some form of pneumonia, so Azithromycin does help with upper respiratory infection, but wouldn't it make more sense to culture at that point to find out what the infectious bacteria/fungus is and treat accordingly? All seems too convenient that these two medications magically cure someone from a viral infection. I would think some sort of anti-viral may help, but who knows?

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

Colonel Cancer posted:

Any rappers die from it yet?

any rapper worth his salt gets murdered before they reach the risk demographic

except flavor flav I guess

stay tuned

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

In other news, social distancing in the US appears to be a poo poo-show but is also having some measured effect: weekly total deaths are way down, per the CDC's FluView tool

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Dick Wolf posted:

So as a nurse I'm curious why so many are convinced Plaquenil and Azithromycin are miracle cures based on that one very limited study. Anybody here a physician, especially rheumatologist or infectious disease? Maybe Plaquenil would help with inflammation from the virus and the body's response to it, but there are many drugs that fight inflammation, like steroids that are often used in severe respiratory infection and COPD. I think Covid tends to cause secondary infection in the lungs, often some form of pneumonia, so Azithromycin does help with upper respiratory infection, but wouldn't it make more sense to culture at that point to find out what the infectious bacteria/fungus is and treat accordingly? All seems too convenient that these two medications magically cure someone from a viral infection. I would think some sort of anti-viral may help, but who knows?

the initial study was made by someone with a history of manipulating results and was picked up in the right wing news twitter news sphere and jared kushner saw it and brought it to trump who thinks it's the miracle cure that will make him look like a genius so he went all in on it despite there being no actual evidence

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Dick Wolf posted:

Corticosteroids were tried against SARS #1 and appear to have hurt, not helped. I’m on my phone so can’t easily post links; the top google hits will tell you a lot.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Dick Wolf posted:

Azithro likely just incidental benefit. Plaquenil may have actual antiviral effects or may be anti-inflammatory. We need good studies to tell, and fast.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

goons, like this virus, are enveloped in a double-lipid case and washing them causes both to break down, die, and possibly rant about Star Trek for hours.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Mithaldu posted:

wouldn't wanna see him doing a bad job

I agree.

Dick Wolf
Apr 5, 2009

Mozi posted:

the initial study was made by someone with a history of manipulating results and was picked up in the right wing news twitter news sphere and jared kushner saw it and brought it to trump who thinks it's the miracle cure that will make him look like a genius so he went all in on it despite there being no actual evidence

Yeah, I figured. BTW everyone I work at a large hospital and while most of the patients are older there are definitely some younger critically ill patients. Mostly those that have ended up in the ICU have been men at about a 3:1 ratio vs women, and stats from Italy seem to support that it affects men more severely than women, but whether that is from more risk factors or genetics (two x chromosomes) is unknown, probably both.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
there's a new episode of internet quarantine etiquette with Erik out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxSC3ibqwUw

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

If your reaction to a beloved music star of any genre dying of coronavirus is to say "that music sucks" then I dare you to turn your monitor off and say it three times so I can jump through the screen and slap the books out of your geek hands then snag on you and give you a swirlie

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

In other news, social distancing in the US appears to be a poo poo-show but is also having some measured effect: weekly total deaths are way down, per the CDC's FluView tool

Playing around with the CDC's FluView tool, the week ending March 14th saw a precipitous drop in flu+pneumonia related cases that had not been seen in previous years, whereas the week before was ~the same as previous years. So we may continue seeing a drop in overall death rate, including death due to flu and pneumonia, as a significant chunk of the population practices social distancing. That would be a good thing even if it did nothing for coronavirus infections (and it will definitely have an impact on coronavirus infections)

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Dick Wolf posted:

I can't comment on Plaquenil, but Azithromycin has pulmonary specific anti-inflammatory properties beyond just its antibiotic effects. In fact azithro is pretty crappy when viewed purely as an antibiotic, resistance rates against its antibiotic effects are sky high, like up to 50% in some locations. The lung specific anti-inflammatory effect is the reason you'll sometimes see patients with advanced COPD put on azithromycin (usually just 1 tablet 3 times weekly). Thus, it makes sense that azithro might provide some anti-inflammatory benefit against covid as well (as the endpoint of covid can be pneumonia or pulmonary fibrosis, both of which are to a large degree dysfunctional inflammatory processes).

Immune systems and the inflammation process are extremely complicated and nuanced though. If it was as simple as just limiting inflammation, the best option would be corticosteroids, but the evidence pretty clearly seems to suggest that large doses of steroids actually worsen covid outcomes.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Dick Wolf posted:

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/clinical-trials-begin-week-york-coronavirus-treatments-health/story?id=69817703

clinical trials start next week, France and India have issued guidance on their use, pharmas are ramping up production. I post about them because of compassionate use laws in the US, if you have a loved one dying of this then it doesn't hurt to be educated. Watching people flip out about because trumpf is disgusting.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Clinical trials starting means there isn't evidence supporting their use now. Outside of the braindead United States, physicians are being advised absolutely not to prescribe these medications. The reason more of these medications are being made is because you clowns are listening to your moron President and gambling on dubious science at the expense of people who actually need these medications.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
In case you hadn't already lost faith in the ability for people to do the right thing:

quote:

A man who recently returned to Australia from overseas is behind bars after NSW police stopped him from going outside for a third time in two days.

The 30-year-old man, who landed at Sydney International Airport after flying home from Jordan on March 18, was ordered to self-quarantine at his Edensor Park home for 14 days in case he had the coronavirus.

But he allegedly went out to Pagewood about 1.20am on Saturday March 28, was given a $1000 on-the-spot fine and ordered to return home.

Then at 10pm on Saturday night he arrested on Pitt St in the CBD, charged with disobeying a ministerial direction under the Public Health Act and granted bail to appear in court in May.

But because of his alleged failure to self-isolate at his Edensor Park home, a public health order was made directing him to do so at a serviced apartment at Camperdown.

He was arrested again after he allegedly tried to leave the flat on Sunday.

The man was due to face Central Local Court on Monday after being refused bail on charges of not complying with a public health order, not complying with a ministerial direction under the public health act and breaching bail.

Even the threat of being jailed wasn't enough to stop this guy breaking quarantine.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

And hey here's a good interview with an epidemiologist answering things about food safety, package safety, and why medical workers need n95 masks but normal people are fine with just a cloth mask (e.g. exposure to aerosol vs droplet transmission)

https://jewishjournal.com/commentar...E0Tyxb-1G-XQTVE

Regarding takeout, he echoes my own thoughts and behaviors on the matter:

quote:

They’re all legally mandated to send home employees who are symptomatic, so in theory it would be safe. But I know that the reality of it is that people often will not be paid if they don’t go to work, and thus many will show up even when they shouldn’t. So my personal advice is that if you do get takeout or delivery, make sure it’s all cooked food; I would not be comfortable getting salads or anything uncooked. That way you will be far more safe if someone happened to be sick while they were preparing your food. Upon receiving the food, which was handled by multiple people within the hour of delivery, I would do the following steps:

The food should be left at your doorstep to maintain the 6 feet of social distancing.
Wash your hands.
Before getting the food, take out whatever dishes you will want to eat it on.
Get the containers and take the food out of the to-go container and put it directly on your own clean dishes.
Throw away the packaging they delivered it in.
As always, wash your hands before you eat.

I've gone one step further, and gone with twice-cooking delivered food. For instance, we ordered takeout thai curry, put it in a pot, re-cooked for ~5 minutes over medium-high heat, then served it.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Dick Wolf posted:

Fauci said the evidence it was effective was entirely anecdotal which is generally not the way you want your Hail Mary miracle cures to be described.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lassitude posted:

Clinical trials starting means there isn't evidence supporting their use now. Outside of the braindead United States, physicians are being advised absolutely not to prescribe these medications. The reason more of these medications are being made is because you clowns are listening to your moron President and gambling on dubious science at the expense of people who actually need these medications.

There's been some similar dumbassery in Australia, one of our useless billionaires took out double page ads in major newspapers pledging ONE MIIIIIIIILLION DOSES of the drugs for locals, planning on building up a stockpile while the trials are still going
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/mar/27/clive-palmer-buys-huge-news-corp-ad-pushing-malaria-drug-as-coronavirus-cure

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

A couple years back I had a bad cold and a doctor prescribed azithromycin. My wife laughed at me and told me that's what they give people who are being wimps so they leave the doctors office happy.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Dick Wolf posted:

All forms of science journalism are trash and lead to people drawing massive over-reaching conclusions from preliminary and/or limited results. You don't even have to be a physician to notice this trend, it happens in every scientific field. Remember when a bunch of people committed suicide because a radiology technician self-published an article on arxiv about how the Large Hadron Collider was for-sure going to destroy the world? It didn't matter that a million-times more authoritative sources outlined how that person's article made no sense, and how the allegations were easily disprovable by observing common natural phenomena (e.g. the daily collisions one can observe in our own atmosphere of particles with many orders of magnitude more energy than the LHC could ever possibly hope to produce). The damage had already been done via sensational click-bait headlines. See also the entirety of the antivaccination movement

So some doctors tried a "throw everything at the wall and see what sticks" approach in combating this deadly illness, found a couple of drugs that seemed promising in a handful of cases, journalists wrote articles titled MIRACLE DRUG CURES CORONAVIRUS and then the President tweeted about how we're going to make a billion doses of said miracle drugs. But anyone trained in statistics understands the folly of all of this; if you try literally everything then sometimes you're going to find results that appear promising at first but ultimately don't pan out with more data, and likewise you'll miss drugs that are actual cures but that didn't appear successful in a handful of tests. This is why real medical research is so important: to root out drugs that appear successful but turn out not to be, to find drugs that really do work, and to put a clamp on woo "cures" being peddled by the snake-oil Natural market. That's what's coming next: the hard work of actually determining which drugs, if any, are effective.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Country music legend Joe Diffie died of coronavirus and no one here cares. I had all his cassettes. I hope they propped him up next to the jukebox.

RIP Kenny Powers IRL

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

VikingSkull posted:

no, it's hydroxychloroquine sulfate

The #TrumpPills are a combination of hydroxychloroquine, azithromycin, and zinc sulfate. Get it right or pay the price.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Mar 30, 2020

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

In case you hadn't already lost faith in the ability for people to do the right thing:

Even the threat of being jailed wasn't enough to stop this guy breaking quarantine.

Guessing an addict going out for whatever he needs? It's a monkey bigger than any court order

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

QuarkJets posted:

quote:

I know that the reality of it is that people often will not be paid if they don’t go to work, and thus many will show up even when they shouldn’t.
Thanks for the info. And drat did the quoted segment make me happy to live in germany where you keep getting paid while sick.

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

Gianthogweed posted:

The #TrumpPills are a combination of hydroxychloroquine, azithromycin, and zinc sulfate. Get it right or pay the price.

the USA sure is something else huh

https://twitter.com/subschneider/status/1242954754948575233

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Gotta focus on the positive aspects of this holocaust.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Wow and it really is called Albert Einstein Hospital, as though we needed further proof that reality is scripted by a malicious prankster god

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

Yes clearly this man was just too dumb to stop.
I'm also 100% certain addiction or mental health issues weren't at play here.
Clearly prison will make him better and smarter now.

... :(

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

holy poo poo I finally watched contagion tonight and this is freaking me out

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

human sexuality truly knows no limits

Mustached5thGrader
Oct 1, 2011

My mother won't let me grow a goatee.
Saw a bunch of goddam teens hanging out with each other as I walked my dog today.

Slam Pajamas
May 21, 2007
ALL TEXT TITLE ALL-STARS
Sorry if this has been answered but is the "2-Hat Remedy" an effective treatment? I keep seeing reference to a cytokine storm which is apparantly part of a 1-2 punch where the immune system is used up and allows an infection to settle in afterward, leading to pneumonia, so I would guess not but wondering if anybody had any idea.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Diagnosis: you're an old

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

Slam Pajamas posted:

Sorry if this has been answered but is the "2-Hat Remedy" an effective treatment? I keep seeing reference to a cytokine storm which is apparantly part of a 1-2 punch where the immune system is used up and allows an infection to settle in afterward, leading to pneumonia, so I would guess not but wondering if anybody had any idea.

yes eating two complete hats will cure COVID19

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I’m getting an extra $2000 trump bucks because of my four kids and my wife wanted to save the money because we don’t really have much savings but I figured it doesn’t matter how much savings or food or medicine we can afford if we can’t protect ourselves so I noticed one of the local firearms dealers was letting you buy on credit up to the amount of Trump bucks you’re supposed to get (you essentially sign for a short term zero interest loan) so I took advantage of that and now I have a Desert Eagle with both 50 and 44 cal barrels and a couple hundred rounds of ammo.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
The worst part is i literally cannot tell if that is serious or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
No post about the 180 Trump did re social distancing? I can't imagine what it took to get him to keep it going till June 1st, but thank Christ.

Maybe way way more dead then they are saying, millions if he "opened up" the U.S.

Maybe Kushner got stifled :shrug: