Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

George H.W. oval office posted:

Magic card values are still insane to this day. Rare cards in current sets can go easily for $20-50. My brother will occasionally sell a bunch to pay for rent when he's in a bind. In a weird twist magic is helping him survive since he's a judge and will organize the friday night magic games at his card shop thus getting his otherwise expensive hobby completely free.

I read through that too quickly and was laughing at the thought of an actual elected, gavel banging judge with a law degree having to sell magic cards to survive.

fake edit: :synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Bird in a Blender posted:

I doubt we'll ever see real collectibles worth big money every again. It's all just the baseball card craze of the late 80's/early 90's all over again, and it just repeats ad nauseam. Something from 30-40 years ago sells big because no one thought to keep a bunch of copies laying around so they become rare, people try to get in on it now except a million other people have the same idea, so things stay worthless because they're not rare anymore.

The ones getting rich off this are the people selling 'collectibles' new. Thousands of first editions of comic series that go nowhere, special time limited Funkopops, massive piles of Star Wars merchandise. The resale value may be abysmal (not sure how Star Wars stuff does on that though) but the retail compared to manufacturing costs is great.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Cacafuego posted:

I read through that too quickly and was laughing at the thought of an actual elected, gavel banging judge with a law degree having to sell magic cards to survive.

fake edit: :synpa:
As a Magic player, I love the confused looks that my friends get when they utter sentences with combinations of words like "judge a Magic tournament", cause it sounds like you put on your robe and wig and bring your gavel down to the local matinee to watch men with handlebar mustaches pull rabbits out of hats.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Moneyball posted:

The only collectible card from that entire time period is the 1989 Billy Ripken.

No one cares about that gently caress face. :banjo:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
It’s been said multiple times, but most collectible stuff is only collectible because people used to think it was trash. Anything that’s sold to be a collectible will never become a collectible.

We toured the Hatch print shop in Nashville right before the world ended. They’re the poster printers who made all those iconic country and rock posters from the 50’s and 60’s. But it’s tough to find those old posters because they were the equivalent of lost dog signs stapled to telephone poles. They were disposable and printed on cheap paper so of course they’re rare now. Same goes for old comic books.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

An original 2007 iPhone is worth a bit of money, but only if it's still sealed in the original packaging.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

I doubt we'll ever see real collectibles worth big money every again. It's all just the baseball card craze of the late 80's/early 90's all over again, and it just repeats ad nauseam. Something from 30-40 years ago sells big because no one thought to keep a bunch of copies laying around so they become rare, people try to get in on it now except a million other people have the same idea, so things stay worthless because they're not rare anymore.

I was able to sell about 10 magic cards for about $60 last year. I had 1,000 cards, and the shop only wanted those 10. I didn't intentionally keep them as collectibles, I just played a lot when I was in high school. Unfortunately, I started about 2-3 years too late. If I had started playing earlier, my cards would have been a lot rarer, but then again, the game wasn't nearly as popular. I also had like 3,000 baseball and basketball cards from the 80's and 90's and they are literally worth less than the cardboard they're printed on. I saved 90 for nostalgia sake and threw the rest in the recycling bin.

This is precisely why I regret not selling them a year or two ago when I was thinking about it. Never meant to collect them, just still happen to have them, and I never threw them out because I knew they had value to someone (just not me). Quick count I have between 800-1000 cards somehow. I should get on that and sell them to some sucker before they become worthless.

But to be fair: wasn't MTG engineered to be collectible from day 1? I remember reading somewhere that they designed it to have cards that were collectible and worth money to help spur sales of new cards, and the fact that it was a game was almost secondary to them.

also I just checked price for a card that I'm pretty sure my brother stole from me way back when, and it's "worth" anywhere between $100 and $2,000 depending on the edition. Based on the era of a bunch of my oldest cards, I think it's valued at like $400.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Magic cards can easily retain or grow in value based on the meta and the multiple formats of play since some cards haven't been reprinted recently but are still in demand. Cards can drop in value precipitously too due to changes in what's allowed in formats. It's less, this magical, wondrous jewel like object is valuable and more, this is a staple of a currently being made and supported game that's been going on for two decades.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Mar 30, 2020

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

OctaMurk posted:

Its GWM up until the part where the feds bust you for literally putting baby cats in gas chambers

Don't loving spoil this poo poo you jerk.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

axolotl farmer posted:

An original 2007 iPhone is worth a bit of money, but only if it's still sealed in the original packaging.

The original iPhones didn’t sell that well. That was a combination of 2g internet and a hosed up purchasing scheme where you paid full price for your phone and still had a contract. They corrected that after a few months, but it’d make sense that the original iPhone is the rarest one.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

axolotl farmer posted:

Krispy Wafer posted:

The original iPhones didn’t sell that well. That was a combination of 2g internet and a hosed up purchasing scheme where you paid full price for your phone and still had a contract. They corrected that after a few months, but it’d make sense that the original iPhone is the rarest one.

Wait that wasn't a joke?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
People are BWM when it comes to apple product nostalgia

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

I know a guy who buys two of every Apple product release. One to use and one for his collection. He's definitely the sort of person who would overpay for an original iPhone mint-in-box.

ltugo
Aug 10, 2004

If there was a grading scale for torture I would give sleep deprivation and waterboarding a C-.
I've been collecting old home computers from the 70's and 80's, (Apple, Atari, Commodore, Tandy, etc.), for about twenty years now. At first, I did it because it was fun and cheap. I was finding stuff in thrift stores for a dollar. But the hobby seems to have caught on with speculators because prices have shot up. A Commodore 64 runs about 70-100$ these days in good condition.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ltugo posted:

I've been collecting old home computers from the 70's and 80's, (Apple, Atari, Commodore, Tandy, etc.), for about twenty years now. At first, I did it because it was fun and cheap. I was finding stuff in thrift stores for a dollar. But the hobby seems to have caught on with speculators because prices have shot up. A Commodore 64 runs about 70-100$ these days in good condition.

Sure, but it cost $300 or so in 1985 dollars or whatever, so it seems like a great way to very slowly lose money.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
And that $300 in ‘85 was closer to $800 in 2020 Trump Bux’s.

I think it’s more that Commodore 64’s were worth even less 10 years ago. So buy low and sell high.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

Sure, but it cost $300 or so in 1985 dollars or whatever, so it seems like a great way to very slowly lose money.

To be fair there lots of hobbies where you lose money faster than this.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

withak posted:

To be fair there lots of hobbies where you lose money faster than this.

Sure. Fine hobby, bad investment.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Subjunctive posted:

Sure. Fine hobby, bad investment.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3909673

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

...idgi

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Subjunctive posted:

If you buy new and hold it forever like people did with Beanie Babies yeah. But we're talking about buying cheap stuff left for junk.

That said, my dad sold the Commedore 64 we had growing up for like $75 to someone in Norway (or somewhere in Europe) a few years ago. Considering its actual value as anything other than a collector's item is equal to the scrap metal it contains, that's a pretty tidy profit.

If you want to collect things that'll eventually be worth a fortune, you should collect industrial processors. Factories buy machines and run them for 30+ years until every single component is WAY past obsolete. Because the cost of downtime to reprogram and debug a new processor is massive, they'll pay out the nose for vintage processors that they can drop in and get back up and running. I've known plenty of people who scoured eBay to replace an old processor that they desperately needed a spare of because it was on its last legs.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 30, 2020

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Dating: Fine hobby, bad investment

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Time to post some BWM content about mortgage bankers:

quote:

At issue are the Fed’s unprecedented $183 billion of purchases last week of mortgage-backed securities. The purchases were meant to drive down rates, and they did.
Wait shouldn't this be helping mortgage bankers as they are getting a massive bailout?

quote:

But together with the storm that gripped financial markets from the coronavirus, they also effectively blew up a widespread hedge that mortgage bankers use to protect themselves against rate increases. The hedge pays them if the prevailing rate in the market is higher than the mortgage rate they locked in with the customer.

The system works well unless mortgage rates are highly volatile. It is generally considered to be a safe trade: the hedge simply protects the lender against higher rates until the mortgage closes. But compounding the problem, many customers couldn’t close on their loans because of quarantines, leaving the mortgage lenders with only the cost of the hedge and no off-setting loan.
Surely they didn't use derrivatives with an unlimited downside that is highly leveraged?

quote:

The huge volatility in mortgage bonds created massive margin calls from the broker-dealers, who wrote the hedges, to their mortgage bankers.

Some of these mortgage bankers are now facing margin calls of tens of millions of dollars that could drive them out of business, according to Barry Habib, founder of MBS Highway, a leading industry advisor who was among the first to publicly sound the alarm bell last week.

The letter went on to say, “Margin calls on mortgage lenders reached staggering and unprecedented levels by the end of the week. For a significant number of lenders, many of which are well-capitalized, these margin calls are eroding their working capital and threatening their ability to continue to operate.”

Some lenders, the letter said, may not be able to meet their margin calls in a day or two.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/29/mor...oYTMCDBRt1jnbRg

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Devian666 posted:

Wait shouldn't this be helping mortgage bankers as they are getting a massive bailout?

Surely they didn't use derrivatives with an unlimited downside that is highly leveraged?

ahahahahahahaha

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

DaveSauce posted:

This is precisely why I regret not selling them a year or two ago when I was thinking about it. Never meant to collect them, just still happen to have them, and I never threw them out because I knew they had value to someone (just not me). Quick count I have between 800-1000 cards somehow. I should get on that and sell them to some sucker before they become worthless.

But to be fair: wasn't MTG engineered to be collectible from day 1? I remember reading somewhere that they designed it to have cards that were collectible and worth money to help spur sales of new cards, and the fact that it was a game was almost secondary to them.

also I just checked price for a card that I'm pretty sure my brother stole from me way back when, and it's "worth" anywhere between $100 and $2,000 depending on the edition. Based on the era of a bunch of my oldest cards, I think it's valued at like $400.

MTG always had levels of cards. Rares were usually really powerful, and obviously, really hard to get, and then there were some extremely rare cards. So some cards were just always going to be more valuable because they were more powerful in game, and thus very few were printed. What you really want is Alpha, Beta, or Unlimited. Revised was right after Unlimited, and the value is considerable from Unlimited to Revised. Beta had a 2.6 million print run, Unlimited a 40 million print run, and then Revised had like a 100 million print run. So once you hit Revised, there were just too many cards on the market.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Devian666 posted:

loving yes.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

DaveSauce posted:

If you want to collect things that'll eventually be worth a fortune, you should collect industrial processors. Factories buy machines and run them for 30+ years until every single component is WAY past obsolete. Because the cost of downtime to reprogram and debug a new processor is massive, they'll pay out the nose for vintage processors that they can drop in and get back up and running. I've known plenty of people who scoured eBay to replace an old processor that they desperately needed a spare of because it was on its last legs.
I can confirm this. I recently paid $300 for a used Dell motherboard for a Windows 95 box because it runs a piece of equipment that hasn't been updated in 20 years. $300 is probably more than that Dell computer originally cost. Replacing the equipment would cost ~$75k. The service guy just laughed at me when I called him.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
Back in 2002:

quote:

NASA needs parts no one makes anymore.

So to keep the shuttles flying, the space agency has begun trolling the Internet -- including Yahoo and eBay -- to find replacement parts for electronic gear that would strike a home computer user as primitive. Officials say the agency recently bought a load of outdated medical equipment so it could scavenge Intel 8086 chips -- a variant of those chips powered I.B.M.'s first personal computer, in 1981.

When the first shuttle roared into space that year, the 8086 played a critical role, at the heart of diagnostic equipment that made sure the shuttle's twin booster rockets were safe for blastoff. Today, more than two decades later, booster testing still uses 8086 chips, which are increasingly scarce. NASA plans to create a $20 million automated checking system, with all new hardware and software. In the meantime, it is hoarding 8086's so that a failed one does not ground the nation's fleet of aging spaceships. The same is true of other obsolescent parts, dozens of them.

''It's like a scavenger hunt,'' said Jeff Carr, a spokesman for the United Space Alliance, the Houston company that runs the shuttle fleet. ''It takes some degree of heroics.'' Troves of old parts that NASA uncovers and buys, officials said, are used not in the shuttles themselves but in flotillas of servicing and support gear. Such equipment is found, and often repaired, at major shuttle contractors around the nation, as well as at the Kennedy Space Center in Florida, where the shuttles blast into orbit.

That old computer in your basement? NASA is not interested. The agency and its contractors want stockpiles of old parts to buy in bulk for repairing old machinery and building inventories of spare parts. Recent acquisitions include outdated computer chips, circuit boards and eight-inch floppy-disk drives. ''One missing piece of hardware can ruin our day,'' said Mike Renfroe, director of shuttle logistics planning for the United Space Alliance at the Kennedy Space Center.

Recently, Mr. Renfroe said, his team swept the Internet to find an obsolete circuit board used in testing the shuttle's master timing unit, which keeps the spaceships' computers in sync. None could be found. A promising lead turned false. Finally, a board was found. It cost $500. ''That's very inexpensive,'' Mr. Renfroe said. ''To hire a design engineer for even one week would cost more than that.''

NASA's growing reliance on antiquated parts is in some ways a measure of how far its star has fallen. In the early 1960's, the agency played a leading role in founding the chip industry. Its mass purchase of the world's first integrated circuits set the fledgling business on the road to profitability. In turn, the expensive chips let NASA achieve feats of miniaturization that put advanced satellites into orbit and men on the moon. Thousands went into the lunar lander, making its guidance computer ''smaller, lighter, faster, more power-efficient and more reliable than any other computer in existence,'' as T. R. Reid wrote in ''The Chip'' (Simon & Schuster, 1984).

Today, NASA is increasingly a victim of its own success. Civilian electronic markets now move so fast, and the shuttles are so old, that NASA and its contractors must scramble to find substitutes. In the past, NASA procurement experts would go through old catalogs and call suppliers to try to find parts. Today, the hunt has become easier with Internet search engines and sites like eBay, which auctions nearly everything.

Mr. Carr of the United Space Alliance said that when the government bought complex systems like jet fighters, the contracts often had provisions that called for routine upgrades and improvements as a way to limit obsolescence. But the shuttles, with a design lifetime of a decade, never had that kind of built-in refurbishment plan. The winged spaceships are to fly until 2012. But NASA is researching whether their retirement date can be pushed back to 2020.

For parts hunters, it could be a long haul. The shuttles, Mr. Renfroe of the United Space Alliance noted in an awed tone, ''could go for 40 or 50 years.''

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

MTG always had levels of cards. Rares were usually really powerful, and obviously, really hard to get, and then there were some extremely rare cards. So some cards were just always going to be more valuable because they were more powerful in game, and thus very few were printed. What you really want is Alpha, Beta, or Unlimited. Revised was right after Unlimited, and the value is considerable from Unlimited to Revised. Beta had a 2.6 million print run, Unlimited a 40 million print run, and then Revised had like a 100 million print run. So once you hit Revised, there were just too many cards on the market.

On top of that, they stopped printing some of the early super cards after Unlimited (collectively called the Power Nine). They're never getting reprinted, but are still legal (1 of each to a deck) for whatever they're calling the Type I / Legacy format these days. Small runs, high desirability, plus heavy use in the early days resulted in there not being many of these left. Also, most of what few remain are held by collectors keeping them behind glass and wanting $100K+ for them, so the available stock is even lower. (A "Black Lotus" card went for over $165K at auction last year; those were $500-750 back when I played in 1999 or so.)

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

The Leck posted:

I had a depressing moment a year or two ago when someone mentioned how crazy the market had gotten for MTG. I looked up some of the cards I remembered from a deck that got stolen in middle school, and based on some rough calculations, selling that deck of 60-ish cards would have paid for my last car, and I got in after all the REALLY rare stuff. I don't know that I could have really gotten that much, but it's crazy how much some of those things sold for.

In true time is a flat circle fashion, my father had a comic book collection when he was a kid, which my grandmother threw away, that would have been worth a TON of money. He was always pissed that she threw it all away, without even telling him, and told me as a comic book collecting child that he would NEVER throw away my comics without asking me. And he never did. Along with my boxes of comic books I also had a box of MTG cards. Now let me tell you friends, I loved dual lands as a kid, and I loved the way Beta and Unlimited cards looked so...anyway, those all got thrown away, The End.

Sundae posted:

On top of that, they stopped printing some of the early super cards after Unlimited (collectively called the Power Nine). They're never getting reprinted, but are still legal (1 of each to a deck) for whatever they're calling the Type I / Legacy format these days. Small runs, high desirability, plus heavy use in the early days resulted in there not being many of these left. Also, most of what few remain are held by collectors keeping them behind glass and wanting $100K+ for them, so the available stock is even lower. (A "Black Lotus" card went for over $165K at auction last year; those were $500-750 back when I played in 1999 or so.)

The comic book store in my hometown had a "Magic Night" once a week where about 50 dorky teenagers would congregate to trade cards and play each other for ante. One kid there had a Black Lotus, and I got so close to pulling off a Hershall Walker-esque trade for that thing. So crazy, at that time, you could buy it new for $300. That was like a years worth of allowance though :/

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
When Zendikar was the current set, I opened a booster pack at a friday night draft that had a Hidden Treasure (remember that promo?) in it: an Unlimited Mox Ruby

The owner of the store immediately offered me three entire booster boxes of Zendikar for it. I didn't know poo poo about card values at the time so I said okey dokey!!!

I should really go throw a brick through his window one of these days.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I had always assumed that promotion was some sort of hoax, honestly.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
My wife just explained to me that a Mox Ruby was recently a $10k card. She's really enjoying these MtG stories btw.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

MTG always had levels of cards. Rares were usually really powerful, and obviously, really hard to get, ...

One of my favorite Magic trivia bits that most people know but maybe not - Magic was created under the belief that it would be super casual; players would get a starter deck and maybe a few boosters. The initial design intentionally screwed with things to increase the mystique of the game and make it harder for people to solve things. Part of this was putting an Island on the rare sheet in Alpha. So if you, for some dumbass reason, decide to crack a pack of Alpha, you might get a $28,000 Black Lotus ...or a $40 island.

The BWM is the idea of cracking sealed Alpha product rather than just selling it.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Does anybody have an easy to digest chart showing the crash of Magic cards?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Heffer posted:

Does anybody have an easy to digest chart showing the crash of Magic cards?

Have they done this? I quit in like 2012 but it sure seems like it keeps creeping up and up and up.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Boxman posted:

One of my favorite Magic trivia bits that most people know but maybe not - Magic was created under the belief that it would be super casual; players would get a starter deck and maybe a few boosters.

And you'd play for cards. Each player would ante a card and the winner of the match would take both. There was an entire early category of cards that could interact with cards that had been anted, or that could otherwise change literal ownership of cards.

That went out the window eventually but survived a suprisingly long time.

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
Oh, I thought that was still true. I never played Magic because who wants to give up their stuff?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Evil Robot posted:

Oh, I thought that was still true. I never played Magic because who wants to give up their stuff?

Pogs say hello.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Remember Alf? He's back.

Only registered members can see post attachments!