Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

My hot take is that BotW and RDR2 are both unfun games, both for the same reason of pretending to be open-ended while actually leading you down a pretty strictly directed path and hiding that fact by making you traverse extremely large distances at a slow pace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
but you can literally go straight into the final dungeon in botw

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

just played the resident evil 3 demo and it's really good but quite scary, i got to the bit with the tentacle guy and got murdered

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Croccers posted:

Even better, they very quickly stopped 'porting' the Multiplayer vehicles to the singleplayer because duh, you wouldn't buy Shark Cards if you could play with them in SP!
Oh yeah, that too - although you can mod/cheat them into SP still.

It was very obvious because new GTAO cars are regularly about 10x as expensive as base game cars (the originally most expensive supercar was 1.5 millions, now they rarely release new vehicles and other features that start below 1 million and with upgrades costing another like 2x as much as the car itself).

orcane fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Mar 30, 2020

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Dragon's Dogma trip report: Not hating it so far, but not necessarily loving it either. I just got done with the initial Pawn Guild quest in Gran Soren for reference. Feels like it's on a similar wavelength to Kingdoms of Amalur, though the combat is more ambitious. On the other hand the UI is preeeetty bad. Gonna keep at it for at least a little while longer, but my gut feeling is that I'm simply a little burned out on fantasy action RPG type stuff at the moment.

Also be honest DrNutt, is your pawn the level 130 titty elf currently in my employ? :colbert:

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

Dragon's Dogma trip report: Not hating it so far, but not necessarily loving it either. I just got done with the initial Pawn Guild quest in Gran Soren for reference. Feels like it's on a similar wavelength to Kingdoms of Amalur, though the combat is more ambitious. On the other hand the UI is preeeetty bad. Gonna keep at it for at least a little while longer, but my gut feeling is that I'm simply a little burned out on fantasy action RPG type stuff at the moment.

Also be honest DrNutt, is your pawn the level 130 titty elf currently in my employ? :colbert:
I´d strongly recommend dropping pawns that vastly outlevel you since they will be a drain on your XP gains.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

punk rebel ecks posted:

It can't be worse than this literal 2 hour video of a guy complaining that Super Mario Odyssey isn't literally Super Mario 64-2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYJx5xt2cB0
It's like someone realized that long-form criticism videos that go on for several hours are popular right now, and cargo-culted the concept despite only having about 16 minutes worth of actual content. Terrible.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
I liked GTAV when it was released but how it holds up today I don't know.

I thought the triple-protagonist thing was really novel and I got two of them to bump into each other in the open world and they actually reacted to each other's presence which was cool. The heists were fun but there were too few of them. The OST by Tangerine Dream is great. It looked incredible for it's time and it was something of a technical marvel that such a thing was possible with only 0.5GB of RAM (I played on X360, no idea how it holds up on PC).

My main problem with it was that the cops were way too aggressive and your player character was way too fragile so it discourages experimentation. You really needed about 3x more health (I guess you could mod this on PC?). It leans hard into trying to be more realistic and takes away a lot of the game-y aspects that made GTA3/VC/SA more fun. A lot of the missions are very on-rails and there isn't a lot of room for creativity in how you play.

The fact that it's a 7 year old game designed for the the previous-gen consoles and has been consistently one of the top-selling games every year since is :psyduck:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

My primary problem with GTA5 is that the reggae station sucked despite being run by Lee Scratch Perry and the country station had too few songs and picked the wrong Johnny Paycheck song.

Beyond that I had fun.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Steam is getting loving obliterated right now by Bannerlord hype.

I still play through the GTA5 campaign once every few years or so, I think it's pretty fun. I wish the cop mod was less janky, but alas.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

sebmojo posted:

just played the resident evil 3 demo and it's really good but quite scary, i got to the bit with the tentacle guy and got murdered
I don't know how effective the dodge can get, but I get knocked into a wall at some point and he three hit me in a combo that makes it impossible to move.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Ghostlight posted:

The one thing I struggled with is how spongy the regular orcs are on Nemesis
I recommend switching to Brutal, it gets of the sponginess and rewards you a bit more for improving by making dodges and counters way more important. Dying quickly and often is not really a bad thing in this game, in any case. It means you grow yourself more nemesis orcs.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Didn't even try any of the co-op or PvP stuff, but I had fun with the free weekend for Ghost Recon: Breakpoint. I don't know if it's a good idea for Ubi to continue to make these kind of Ghost Recon games while The Division is a thing though. It offers a big world, but it can be feel so empty at times and very repetitive at others. There's no way to make the whole world unique, but at some point you really start noticing that they are copying lay-outs for inside areas. Sometimes less is more.

:roboluv:

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Speaking of Dragon's Dogma, I got it on PS3 via PS+ years ago but never played it. Is there any reason to get it for PC or are the ports pretty equivalent?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Soldat 2 demo is out, singleplayer only.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Fifteen of Many posted:

Speaking of Dragon's Dogma, I got it on PS3 via PS+ years ago but never played it. Is there any reason to get it for PC or are the ports pretty equivalent?
Pretty equivalent, but the PC version comes with Dark Arisen bundled into it, so if you never had the expansion, it would be included right away. It's worth it, the expansion is another game's worth of content easily.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
There's an online component where you can use other peoples' pawns and also contribute to the asynchronous dragon battle at the end for prizes, and I suspect the PC version is probably a lot more active on that front than the PS3 version as well. Also, load times if you have a SSD.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

A deck-builder fighting game?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1265820/Fights_in_Tight_Spaces/

Made by people behind this

https://store.steampowered.com/app/656700/RICO/

Maybe they needed to recycle some animations.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Breakpoint and Division need the other Ubi dressup stuff from Wildlands, I want my extrajudicial war crimes doer to be wearing an assassin hoodie

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Karma Tornado posted:

Breakpoint and Division need the other Ubi dressup stuff from Wildlands, I want my extrajudicial war crimes doer to be wearing an assassin hoodie

I'll accept this but only if it comes in plaid

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'll accept this but only if it comes in plaid

I've been disappointed with any gear item I can't slap Plaid 3 on, all running around the jungle looking like the bottom half of a ska show crowd

It's been funny going into the common areas of both games dressed in like jeans, plaid scuba gear, and a cowboy hat and running into an endless rainbow of grey tactical skull mask goofballs

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Is it just me, or has Breakpoint some really lovely optimization going? Switching on VSync made the framerate go from "needs VSync" to sub-thirty. I've never seen something like that before.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

there's a new Yakuza game??

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Soldat status: still owns.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

Yeah, the UI is complete garbage and the story/atmosphere is bizarre in a dreamlike Japanese kind of way, but it ended up grabbing me in a way that I wasn't expecting. Keep at it. I think the pawn system is brilliant and it's a shame that more games haven't implemented it.

If you need a level 200 waifu sorceress just give me a shout

e: but yeah, you gain less XP with pawns that massively outlevel you.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Dragon's Dogma is a game that took a few hours to really pull me in. At first, I had the same impression that it seems John Murdoch also has: that it feels a lot like Amalur or an offline MMO. It takes some time to really get into it, but once you do, there's nothing else around that is quite like it.

I recommend beelining for the Sorcerer class. It really shows off what this game is all about.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

There's a GDC relief fundraiser kicking off on Twitch in a few minutes. You can pay what you want for 167 (!!!) indie games / things. Most of them are little jam games (including a number of toilet paper hoarding sims) but there's a few bigger titles like Nuclear Throne if you somehow don't have that yet.

https://itch.io/b/471/gdc-relief-bundle

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

John Murdoch posted:

That must be one of your other steam friends, my titty elf is only level 38. I recommend sticking with it until you get a better handle on combat. The team behind it are the people that did DMC3/4 and it's a lot deeper than it appears at first glance. Also, if you're not feeling your current class, feel free to change it up because they all play pretty drastically different from one another. I used magic for the first time on my current playthrough and have been pretty blown away, especially now that I have been able to use the magic archer class. The first time I literally exploded a saurian with a sixfold bolt was pretty :stonk:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Cardiovorax posted:

I recommend switching to Brutal, it gets of the sponginess and rewards you a bit more for improving by making dodges and counters way more important. Dying quickly and often is not really a bad thing in this game, in any case. It means you grow yourself more nemesis orcs.
I did end up switching to Brutal and it is much better.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

deep dish peat moss posted:

My hot take is that BotW and RDR2 are both unfun games, both for the same reason of pretending to be open-ended while actually leading you down a pretty strictly directed path and hiding that fact by making you traverse extremely large distances at a slow pace.

You can go anywhere you want in almost any order in Breath of the Wild. Including the final dungeon.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

punk rebel ecks posted:

You can go anywhere you want in almost any order in Breath of the Wild. Including the final dungeon.

In fact, you should go to the final dungeon as soon as humanly possible

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Mordja posted:

Soldat 2 demo is out, singleplayer only.

Mordja posted:

Soldat status: still owns.

Soldat does indeed still own.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
never played the first one, but Bannerlord seems fun so far.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Anyone know which of the Cities Skylines DLCs are worth getting?

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
170K peeps playing Mount&Blade II Early Access :allears:

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

explosivo posted:

Soldat does indeed still own.

Next step on the roadmap needs to be getting necromancide added to the music list, the combat knife (with throwing) and the dual deagles :blastu:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Cardiovorax posted:

I recommend beelining for the Sorcerer class. It really shows off what this game is all about.
Yeah. Most of the classes get awesomely powerful moves (except Mystic Knight, gently caress Mystic Knight) but Sorcerer is easily the most spectacular.
Tossing a tornado into the middle of a goblin camp is never not funny.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

Tossing a tornado into the middle of a goblin camp is never not funny.
:hmmyes:

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
Someone give me some Bannerlord hot takes please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
And someone post about Mount and Blade 2 while we're making requests

edit: legit didnt realize thats what Bannerlord was, I leave this here in shame

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 30, 2020