Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Tex was very good at 1B defense when his legs were intact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

derrek lee was really good at defense, especially picking aramis ramirez's lovely throws out of the dirt.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

I don't know where he ranks in absolute terms but it was fun as hell watching him Ji-Man Choi dig stuff at first and make plays during the ALDS

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
hosmer

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I'll second Mark Grace as a real good defensive 1B.

Adrian Gonzalez was pretty good for a few years around his peak. John Olerud was an exceptional defender, too.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Bagwell had a reputation as a good defensive 1B but he hovers between 0 and -1 dWAR most seasons

habeasdorkus posted:

I'll second Mark Grace as a real good defensive 1B.

Adrian Gonzalez was pretty good for a few years around his peak. John Olerud was an exceptional defender, too.

Grace had a career -5 dWAR

Olerud -1.4

I wonder if it's our memories that are faulty or dWAR as a stat (it's probably both)

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Don't remember if this has been brought up, but baseball-reference has been running a simulated 2020 season using OOTP.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/sim/leagues/MLB/2020.shtml

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Intruder posted:

Bagwell had a reputation as a good defensive 1B but he hovers between 0 and -1 dWAR most seasons

Olerud -1.4

I wonder if it's our memories that are faulty or dWAR as a stat (it's probably both)

However dWAR is calculated for 1B seems to run counter to how we evaluate them based on the eye test. Rizzo has 3 GG's and a platinum glove, career -0.1 dWAR. Hosmer has 4 GG's and has literally never posted a season in which he didn't have a negative dWAR.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Tony Phillips posted:

Don't remember if this has been brought up, but baseball-reference has been running a simulated 2020 season using OOTP.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/sim/leagues/MLB/2020.shtml

AL West lookin’ spicy :eyepop:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Intruder posted:

Olerud -1.4

Sydin posted:

However dWAR is calculated for 1B seems to run counter to how we evaluate them based on the eye test. Rizzo has 3 GG's and a platinum glove, career -0.1 dWAR. Hosmer has 4 GG's and has literally never posted a season in which he didn't have a negative dWAR.

Isn’t that just the positional adjustment of playing first base? It’s about -9.5 runs every year

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Sydin posted:

My post wasn't mean to be advocacy of dWAR :shobon:

But gold gloves are also bad measures

My faulty memories as a teen of seeing Bagwell and hearing people say he'd have a bunch of GGs if not for JT Snow is all I have to go on other than flawed defensive metrics, so really it's just a "who's to say?" sort of thing

JT Snow incidentally has a -10.8 career dWAR to go with 6 consecutive GGs and he didn't have a positive dWAR in a single one of those seasons

GalacticAcid posted:

Isn’t that just the positional adjustment of playing first base? It’s about -9.5 runs every year

I will profess ignorance of how that actually effects the final number

Intruder fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 30, 2020

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Local sports radio station (97.1 The Ticket, Detroit) is replaying Tigers games from the last decade. First up at 8pm is the June 2nd, 2010 game against the Indians in which Armando Galarraga was robbed of a perfect game.

:sigh:

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Mar 31, 2020

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Mental Hospitality posted:

Local sports radio station (97.1 The Ticket, Detroit) is replaying Tigers games from the last decade. First up at 8pm is the June 2nd, 2010 game against the Indians in which Armando Galarraga was robbed of a perfect game.

:sigh:

The only 28 out perfect game in Major League history.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

It's a good thing replay didn't exist back then. It would've really disrupted the flow of that game.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
The best defensive 1B is already Evan White.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Finally got around to watching the first part of Mariners History and I've already decided franchises moving is the dumbest thing ever.

Signed, a Twins/Senators fan.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Senators is such a better name than “nationals” which is a terrible loving name

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

https://www.baseball-reference.com/sim/boxes/ARI/ARI202003290.shtml

I saw a bunch of wild loving stats on Bryse Wilson and found the culprit. 0 ERA five innings pitched, 1 loss, four unearned runs. Four goddamn errors. It's not even real and I'm still upset.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

rickiep00h posted:

Finally got around to watching the first part of Mariners History and I've already decided franchises moving is the dumbest thing ever.

Signed, a Twins/Senators fan.
Agreed.

Signed, a former Houston Oilers fan

(yeah yeah we got the Rockets from San Diego but come on they're the freaking Rockets they belong here)

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

euphronius posted:

Senators is such a better name than “nationals” which is a terrible loving name

Apparently DC threatened to block the team's move if they chose Senators. They're really mad they don't have senators of their own.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Rand alPaul posted:

Apparently DC threatened to block the team's move if they chose Senators. They're really mad they don't have senators of their own.

They could have done Americans or... Statists

Or something

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

GalacticAcid posted:

No. Fangraphs uses UZR to estimate the number of runs a defender saves or costs his team, and only applies the positional adjustment when calculating overall WAR. So if they give a first baseman -3 dWAR, they are grading him as three wins worse than the average first baseman.

That said, UZR seems (in my completely uninformed opinion) to be kind of poo poo for tracking first base defense, and I have no idea what they use for guys who played before UZR was possible.

Sydin posted:

I don't know about Rizzo, but in Hosmer had lousy range. Which meant he made cool diving stops on balls that would be more routine for a better first baseman, and didn't seem to have a shot at balls that other guys could have reached. That's also why Jeter is so much worse on advanced metrics than the eye test.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Patrick Spens posted:

No. Fangraphs uses UZR to estimate the number of runs a defender saves or costs his team, and only applies the positional adjustment when calculating overall WAR. So if they give a first baseman -3 dWAR, they are grading him as three wins worse than the average first baseman.

That said, UZR seems (in my completely uninformed opinion) to be kind of poo poo for tracking first base defense, and I have no idea what they use for guys who played before UZR was possible.

I don't know about Rizzo, but in Hosmer had lousy range. Which meant he made cool diving stops on balls that would be more routine for a better first baseman, and didn't seem to have a shot at balls that other guys could have reached. That's also why Jeter is so much worse on advanced metrics than the eye test.

I don’t think you are correct. Specifically, it is definitely not 3 wins worse then the average first basemen. It’s scaled to the league not to the position

https://www.baseball-reference.com/about/war_explained_position.shtml

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

euphronius posted:

They could have done Americans or... Statists

Or something

Lobbyists would have been the best.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Rand alPaul posted:

Lobbyists would have been the best.

Lol my friend is a capitals fan and I call them the Lobbyists as a gentle troll to him all the time

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Rand alPaul posted:

Compromise: Change the name to "Senators" now and let DC have senators. Also, give Puerto Rico an expansion team and Congressional representation.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

R.D. Mangles posted:

derrek lee was really good at defense, especially picking aramis ramirez's lovely throws out of the dirt.

Man I havent thought about him in a long time.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The Mariners are showing the 2014 Home Opener and its wild how many of the players on the Mariners are not only not on the team anymore but aren't even in MLB at all.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Patrick Spens posted:

Sounds like Adam Everett

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
Maybe I'm being a homer but I think if Matt Olson stays healthy and doesn't have some crazy fall off he'll definitely be in the best defensive 1B ever discussion. Honestly he's the best I've ever personally seen already, range, wingspan, picks, stretches, I really don't think he has a flaw out there

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Matt Olson rules. He absolutely kills it for me in The Show, he's very quickly becoming my favorite AL player.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pancakes posted:

Compromise: Change the name to "Senators" now and let DC have senators. Also, give Puerto Rico an expansion team and Congressional representation.

Would love this because Puerto Rico desperately needs statehood and its own team.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug

GalacticAcid posted:

I don’t think you are correct. Specifically, it is definitely not 3 wins worse then the average first basemen. It’s scaled to the league not to the position

https://www.baseball-reference.com/about/war_explained_position.shtml

So the baseball reference page doesn't explicitly state that DRS (their metric for defensive skill) grades players by position. But they mention that their metric comes from The Fielding Bible, and in their FAQ, they describe it like this:

quote:

In the Range & Positioning system, the computer totals all groundballs hit by right handed batters to Vector 206 (Vector 206 is a line extending from home plate towards the hole between the normal shortstop and third base positions, 19 degrees off the third base foul line) with an average velocity between 65 and 75 miles per hour and determines that these types of batted balls are converted into outs by the shortstop only 23 percent of the time. Therefore, if the shortstop converts a slowly hit ball on Vector 206 into an out, that’s a heck of a play, and it scores at +.77. The credit for the play made, 1.00, minus the expectation that it should be made, which is 0.23. If the play isn’t made, it’s -.23.

The key is that if a fielder makes a play on a specific type of batted ball, hit to a specific location on the field, and hit at a specific speed, he gets credit if at least one other player in MLB that season missed that exact ball sometime during the season. A fielder who misses a play on a specific type of batted ball, hit to a specific location on the field, and hit at a specific speed, loses credit if at least one other player made the same play some other time.

Add up all the credits the fielder gets and loses based on each and every play when he’s on the field and you get his plus/minus number (rounded to the nearest integer). Let’s continue with the Vector 206 example. Shortstops fielded a 65-75 mph groundball there 23 percent of the time in over the past two years. Slightly softer groundballs (between 55 and 65 mph) were fielded more often—43 percent of the time to be exact. Even softer grounders (45-55 mph) were converted for an out 59 percent of the time. Overall, there are 90 vectors we use for fair territory on the field. For outfielders we also consider the distance of every batted ball.

And this would just make know sense if they weren't splitting it up by position. The metric is based upon balls that you could potentially make a play on. It would be utter lunacy to penalize a catcher based on what happens when a ground ball is hit to the shortstop.

Or, as Fangraphs says bit more explicitly.

quote:

DRS is as easy to read as it is difficult to calculate. DRS tells you how many runs better or worse that player has been relative to the average player at his position. A +5 DRS at third means the player is five runs better than the average third baseman.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Patrick Spens posted:

So the baseball reference page doesn't explicitly state that DRS (their metric for defensive skill) grades players by position. But they mention that their metric comes from The Fielding Bible, and in their FAQ, they describe it like this:

And this would just make know sense if they weren't splitting it up by position. The metric is based upon balls that you could potentially make a play on. It would be utter lunacy to penalize a catcher based on what happens when a ground ball is hit to the shortstop.

Or, as Fangraphs says bit more explicitly.

dWAR is a function of fielding runs and it’s quite explicit that you get fielding runs added or subtracted based on your position. So, no.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug
Whoops, you're right. I think that's dumb, but you're right.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

blossommirage posted:

Matt Olson rules. He absolutely kills it for me in The Show, he's very quickly becoming my favorite AL player.

To the extent any A gets nation attention, it's understandably and justifiably Chapman, but Olson is a real gem. Great weird batting stance too. IIRC he didn't hang the bat out over the plate nearly as much his first callup and it looked like he'd never be able to catch an MLB fastball. Next time around he started doing that and just blasting the ball to right. He loving owns, I really love the Matts. I hope against hope that these will be the homegrown guys we finally keep but it's the A's so

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Intruder posted:

Sounds like Adam Everett

Adam Everett was amazing don't you dare

Not his fault he was built like a small child and had to lay out for things

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Olson makes everyone else in that infield look really drat good. He's an Athletic so it goes without saying but he's a pretty overlooked player.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Ramon Laureano is pretty dope too. I really like the current A's looking in, but I'm a slut for good defense, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Pancakes posted:

The only difficult thing with this is travel logistics. I do remote IT work for a sports information company, and I did lower-league US soccer for them way back when the USL-NASL split first happened. At the time, the Portland Timbers weren't in MLS yet, so when they played games at the Puerto Rico Islanders they, along with a number of other teams, always had to do it as part of a Miami-San Juan road trip involving games on Wednesday/Saturday or Thursday/Sunday, because otherwise going straight from Portland to San Juan is/was about 3,800 miles and involved an entire day of travel.

Given that MLB doesn't have its two leagues divided along geographical lines, such travel concerns would be an issue. IIRC Portland to San Juan with a connection via Miami was about 12 hours when you factor in flight time, layover time, and time zone changes. I don't know how long it would be from cities like Los Angeles or San Francisco to San Juan, but I would presume that similar trips would have to be part of larger away stretches involving teams like Miami or Atlanta.

Can anyone remember what visiting teams did when the Expos played games in San Juan?

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Mar 31, 2020