Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Xenomrph posted:

Overall I liked Genisys, I thought it did some pretty novel things. It shuffled up the character dynamics (Sarah essentially became Kyle and vice versa), it did something interesting with John Connor (and would have been a cool twist if the trailers hadn't spoiled it), the T1 callbacks were neat, it showed the equivalent of the logical progression of what T2 Arnold would have been like if he hadn't self-terminated and had stuck around to care for young John, the effects for bad guy John Connor were cool (especially when he's getting pulled apart by the MRI machine), all around I thought it did some cool and unique stuff and I had a good time with it.

Right from jump it toyed with the idea that the timeline you're watching isn't the timeline you know, if you're looking at the details - the T-800 endoskeletons are designed slightly differently, and according to the filmmakers that was on purpose.

Here's the OG endoskeleton:
https://www.sideshow.com/collectibles/terminator-t-800-endoskeleton-sideshow-collectibles-400060

And here's a good look at the Genisys revision:
https://chroniclecollectibles.com/collections/chronicle-products/products/endoskeleton

Oddly enough Dark Fate used the redesigned endoskeleton as well.

Oh that's a cool little thing. I saw Genisys once and had a big dumb smile on my face for the first half hour where they redo T1. On the way home from the cinema I think I gave it a freaking 9/10 on IMDb. To be fair we had a Groupon to a luxury cinema with reclining seats that served alcohol so I was rather buzzed. Haven't revisited it and don't remember hardly anything about the rest, just the beginning and a bit of Ahnuld. 9/10 for those, 4/10 for the rest I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Being told that John Connor doesn't matter made me super not care about the new savior of humanity, because if John dies and somebody else steps up, why should invest in, or care about any of them?

I literally don't remember any of the new characters' names.

Edit: I liked Genisys too. I was really looking forward to where the series went in its sequels, but welp.

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 30, 2020

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

As I posted earlier, Genysis is the one film that just outright goes 'Connor is only special because he cheats', except it's then not followed up in the second half.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Alchenar posted:

As I posted earlier, Genysis is the one film that just outright goes 'Connor is only special because he cheats', except it's then not followed up in the second half.

The follow-up is the reveal that his cheating only worked because Skynet was purposefully following the script that he expected in an effort to trap him. Salvation showed Skynet failing despite changing the future war, in which it tries to take control of the time loop by capturing Kyle Reese. So in Genesis instead of changing the future war, it fakes it, takes advantage of an opponent that never digs deeper into what's happening because he always sees what he expects to see, then makes its control of him direct instead of indirect through that whole nanotechnology business.

The consistent throughline is that John is Skynet's puppet. Him thinking he's cheating is just the first half of that.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Being told that John Connor doesn't matter made me super not care about the new savior of humanity, because if John dies and somebody else steps up, why should invest in, or care about any of them?

tbf, the movie does answer this. John Connor only doesn't matter because Skynet is no longer the problem. if Skynet was still the problem, then yeah, John getting glocked would be an issue; but the future changed, and both its enemy and its savior changed along with it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

tbf, the movie does answer this. John Connor only doesn't matter because Skynet is no longer the problem. if Skynet was still the problem, then yeah, John getting glocked would be an issue; but the future changed, and both its enemy and its savior changed along with it.
But why should I care? Why get invested when the last person they told me was the most important person was unceremoniously killed at the start of a movie so they could be like, "okay, new judgement day, new skynet, new resistance leader, go."

Being told that the first two canon movies worth of struggle were ultimately pointless because the exact same loving thing was going to happen anyway, just with different players, why should I care? They've told me nothing matters.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Sarah Connor is who you should’ve cared about imo

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

CelticPredator posted:

There's a reason the TV show was TSCC instead of TJCC.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

idk why john connor wouldn't be useful in this future.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

CelticPredator posted:

I did before this flick began and then I watched her go all slack-jawed at a Terminator murdering her son and doing loving nothing about it, at which point it become clear that they had no idea who any of these people are.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Genisys is on Netflix (along with T1) so I started watching in bed and remembered I loathed the chunky slightly-younger Colm Meany guy they have playing John. Still enjoyed Arnold and the CGI 80s Arnold looks good too. I fell asleep during the bit where you meet the unexpected liquid metal term that I COMPLETELY forgot was in this.

Also how this was supposed to be Matt Smith's big film debut after killing it as Doctor Who and then he gets half a scene and is never seen again in movies lol.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

I did before this flick began and then I watched her go all slack-jawed at a Terminator murdering her son and doing loving nothing about it, at which point it become clear that they had no idea who any of these people are.

T3 onward need to be erased

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

jojoinnit posted:

Genisys is on Netflix (along with T1) so I started watching in bed and remembered I loathed the chunky slightly-younger Colm Meany guy they have playing John.

When I saw the trailers I thought it was a bulked-up Jim True-Frost (who played Prez in The Wire) and was never able to unsee that after that.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

CelticPredator posted:

T3 onward need to be erased

That's what they have been doing, but we're caught in a T3 loop.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

jojoinnit posted:

Also how this was supposed to be Matt Smith's big film debut after killing it as Doctor Who and then he gets half a scene and is never seen again in movies lol.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

jojoinnit posted:

Heh. Poor Matt. I wonder if he looks at how Karen Gillen's career loving exploded and he's going to end up like so many Doctors before him, fully defined by the role.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Heh. Poor Matt. I wonder if he looks at how Karen Gillen's career loving exploded and he's going to end up like so many Doctors before him, fully defined by the role.

Lots of British actors do well domestically, go to Hollywood and crash out and gave to come home.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Alchenar posted:

Lots of British actors do well domestically, go to Hollywood and crash out and gave to come home.

He was on the Crown and not much else of note. Looks like he's still making bad choices as he's going to be in Morbius next. At least David Tennant managed get his poo poo back together after burning in Hollywood.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

All his hubris is contained in him having them credit him as "Matthew Smith". For a second in the opening credits I had to remember who that actually was. He clearly thought he better get "Matthew Smith" in people's heads before he has to put "Matt Smith" on the posters of all his future starring roles...

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Matt does OK for himself for a guy who's been making movies for ten years, he's a white dude in show business after all, even if he wasn't any good you can fail upward.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I remember people were questioning his choice to be in a Terminator movie at all. I forget was any of his cut role in Star Wars actually even filmed or was he just cast and then dropped from how they decided to go with the story?

I can understand being in Terminator of course, Nick Stahl similarly, I remember in some interview or other when T3 was happening both he and Claire Danes independently were basically like "If you saw T1 or T2 when you were younger and then several years later your agent is like hey want to co-star with ARNOLD in THE NEW TERMINATOR?" There's no thought process you're just already signing because poo poo, hang out with Arnold and be in a Terminator movie? YESSSSS

Isn't Morbius the new like Venom where it's a Sony Marvel movie but not an MCU movie? Venom did pretty well and it's going to be a mainstream comic book movie that does fine at least so it's not like the guy's slumming.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
Ian McDiarmid was a very late addition to RotS, so, it is highly likely Matt Smith was involved (the rumour was always he played a young, rejuvenated Palpatine after all...) but I guess he got tossed out when they got McDiarmid in.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
just saw Dark Fate and I kinda liked it??

Why did Grace have Carl's address tattooed on her torso, when he was a remnant of a future that never happened and her 'branch' would have no knowledge of him?

How did Carl know the times and locations for the other time travel drops that had nothing to do with him?

We're those drops from Skynet or Legion future? I'm guessing Skynet future, otherwise LH would have been unable to kill them?

LH and Arnold were good and the new people were good. Best acting since T2 imo. The story was only Decent but overall I'd give it a B.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

FistEnergy posted:

Why did Grace have Carl's address tattooed on her torso, when he was a remnant of a future that never happened and her 'branch' would have no knowledge of him?

How did Carl know the times and locations for the other time travel drops that had nothing to do with him?

We're those drops from Skynet or Legion future? I'm guessing Skynet future, otherwise LH would have been unable to kill them?

Grace was given the address by Dani in the future, who had met Carl during the events depicted in the movie. It's a closed-loop thing, like John giving Kyle a photo of his mother in the future so that he can eventually go back in time and conceive him.

There's some line about how Carl's circuitry can detect the ripples through time of an incoming emergence before it happens. Just a bit of technobabble to justify the plot.

The Skynet future seems right, given her equipment doesn't exactly get the job done against a Legion bot, but it's also unclear why a Skynet future would have sent all these extra bots given it doesn't exactly fit with what we learned in the first two movies. They don't really attempt to answer this question, as part of a general issue of the overall picture of the future stuff being vaguer in this movie than the previous ones.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
I imagine that if Carl had any expectations, he expected to appear in the future Skynet-driven hellscape of 2019 that was post-nuclear launch but 10 years before John Connor was knocking on Skynet's front door. He must have been surprised to find humanity cruising along and no such thing as Skynet. Carl was sent back at the same time Skynet sent the T-101 and the T-1000 - and likely the other ones that Carl had sent Sarah to destroy.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

FistEnergy posted:

just saw Dark Fate and I kinda liked it??

LH and Arnold were good and the new people were good. Best acting since T2 imo. The story was only Decent but overall I'd give it a B.

There is a lot of fiction out there about Skynet that basically says as soon as it had the time travel tech it started sending all kinds of mission terminators out there, they weren't all set to specifically hunt John Connor (though they would immediately drop what they were doing and go after him if they detected him). This was one of the main plot-driving things about The Sarah Connor Chronicles TV show. Also lots of "expanded universe" comics and books.

The one story out there about a Terminator that was sent back and ended up at the wrong time destination (as in, back in the 1800s), and decided to accumulate wealth and build weapon stockpiles for Future-Skynet to find and use later while making as little impact on historical events as possible was a neat story (and used for a "Terminator of the week" episode in the previously mentioned show).

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Now I want Deadwood with Terminators.

>Response_Possible

- Yes
- No
- Go away, please
- gently caress you, you hoople headed rear end in a top hat

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

biracial bear for uncut posted:

There is a lot of fiction out there about Skynet that basically says as soon as it had the time travel tech it started sending all kinds of mission terminators out there, they weren't all set to specifically hunt John Connor (though they would immediately drop what they were doing and go after him if they detected him). This was one of the main plot-driving things about The Sarah Connor Chronicles TV show. Also lots of "expanded universe" comics and books.

The one story out there about a Terminator that was sent back and ended up at the wrong time destination (as in, back in the 1800s), and decided to accumulate wealth and build weapon stockpiles for Future-Skynet to find and use later while making as little impact on historical events as possible was a neat story (and used for a “Terminator of the week” episode in the previously mentioned show).
Where can I read this?! Sounds like I need to watch at least one episode of the show.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

jojoinnit posted:

Where can I read this?! Sounds like I need to watch at least one episode of the show.

You would think that, but then you watch it and it's a real letdown. Part of the issue is that it arrived on network television before prestige TV had caught on everywhere, so the budget kind of sucks, which is not what you would hope for in a show about terminators. Another part of it is that the casting could in many cases be better.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Sodomy Hussein posted:

You would think that, but then you watch it and it's a real letdown. Part of the issue is that it arrived on network television before prestige TV had caught on everywhere, so the budget kind of sucks, which is not what you would hope for in a show about terminators. Another part of it is that the casting could in many cases be better.

I thought that show aired about 5 years ago and got a few seasons! A decade ago and only one. Guess the cultural footprint it left was bigger than the show itself. When did prestige TV officially start? I thought it was basically Sopranos on.

Anyway, shame they butchered such a good premise. I'd definitely read a comic of that idea though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
TSCC had two seasons.

And the casting was quite good, Lena Heady was a powerhouse, Brian Austin Green showed he had real chops, Thomas Dekker was the best on screen John Conner we've ever had and Summer Glau is probably your best choice if you want a stoic, emotionless machine character.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Rhyno posted:

TSCC had two seasons.

And the casting was quite good, Lena Heady was a powerhouse, Brian Austin Green showed he had real chops, Thomas Dekker was the best on screen John Conner we've ever had and Summer Glau is probably your best choice if you want a stoic, emotionless machine character.

Lena Heady was as always amazing. They went in most cases for a bunch of actors for terminators who had no screen presence, which is not the right way to do it at all no matter what your intent is. Summer Glau meanwhile was basically stunt casting.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Lena Heady was as always amazing. They went in most cases for a bunch of actors for terminators who had no screen presence, which is not the right way to do it at all no matter what your intent is. Summer Glau meanwhile was basically stunt casting.

Garret Dillahunt was outstanding as a Terminator.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Garret Dillahunt is always outstanding.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I don’t know what you’re talking about, my original timeline got 8 seasons of the show and it loving ruled, they really ramped up the production values in season 4.

Wait did I say my timeline?
I mean, uh

Great Scott!

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I will say this, the show actually tries to do what everyone complains most of the Terminator movies do not: move the storyline along in new directions with new ideas. And the main reason it failed is because Fox is where sci fi shows went to die no matter how well they were actually doing with fans.

I think production quality-wise it could have been a better show and if you were looking for a Terminator movie condensed into a show, it really wasn't that. It had more in common with X-Files.

This is now 12 years back in Terminator history, before people began to get tired of the conceit and Hollywood's inability to work out a quality production.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Half of the show took place during the writers strike, too. Its had so much going against it at the time, which is hard to see in retrospect, and helps to explain why it got a lot forgiven at the time, even when it went through a large dip.

Given that the main Terminators were Dillahunt (great actor) and Manson (great in the role), I don't see complaints about that.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
TSCC was pretty janky at points and had an unfortunate run of 3-4 episodes that were just terrible in the second season, but it's pretty much the only bit of Terminator media post-T2 that felt like it was trying to expand upon the themes and ideas instead of regurgitating them. It's telling the Genisys, the first big attempt of a Terminator reboot, cribbed so heavily from the show.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Apr 4, 2020

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFxMgJw6KRk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Great concept for an episode, but my god was that actor miscast as a terminator.