Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Oxyclean posted:

Anyone ever use a monitor stand like this? I'm debating between something like that and something more basic like this for lifting my monitors up a bit more. (Got them stacked on some textbooks for the moment)

I have some monitor arms at work - but it's a separate arm for each monitor. The ones I have at work feel very easy to bump out of position and hard to get "quite right" as silly as that might sound. Having a cat who loves to rub his face on the corner of my monitor also makes me consider something more fixed.

The arm solution I linked certainly looks more elegant and would free up space under the monitor, though I'm curious how well the design works - it feels like it could easily get front-heavy.

e: Oh, apparently its on amazon for much cheaper, and there's a ton of designs like it.

The freestanding style like that is ok. Be advised though that if you get too wide or too high it really makes it unstable. I actually bolted mine to the desktop to keep it from moving or tipping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Made some adjustments to the desk I built for basement WFH, pretty happy with the arrangement now. I also added a footrest bar in the back, I like kicking up my feet.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

That’s depressing

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
do you have a kitchen in your basement?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

devmd01 posted:

Made some adjustments to the desk I built for basement WFH, pretty happy with the arrangement now. I also added a footrest bar in the back, I like kicking up my feet.

How's that plague inc playthrough going for you there? :haw:

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Wibla posted:

How's that plague inc playthrough going for you there? :haw:

I've been all over this game again for the last month.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
I don't know about Plague, Inc, never played it, but this virus panic made me play Pandemic II. Mhm, such a classic

Parachute
May 18, 2003

devmd01 posted:

dont kick too hard or whatever is going on there to the right is gonna collapse all over your everything

bonzaisushi
Nov 15, 2003

doo dee doo dmt, lsd doo dmt, lsd doo dmt...
Built my first desktop just in time for this WFH madness. Clearly i need some RGB.

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.
I like your desktop backgrounds! Any chance you could link them?

bonzaisushi
Nov 15, 2003

doo dee doo dmt, lsd doo dmt, lsd doo dmt...

forkbucket posted:

I like your desktop backgrounds! Any chance you could link them?

Here ya go mate

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Changed things around from last time I posted but it's still mostly the same

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
I apparently never posted my setup for the last 3 years...

Sold that place, and now living with the in-laws, and had to setup a temporary (smaller) place in a corner of the dining room to keep working and not lose my sanity on a laptop at the kitchen table:

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Decided to splurge on a new monitor since I am working from home. 32" is a huge jump from 25", but am loving the extra pixels on 4k vs 1440p. I still need to do some better cable routing (and fish some through the walls). Probably going to get a small stand to lift up the laptop as well.

That dumb pad is because I like to rest my elbows on the desk and am too stubborn to change my habits. Also, this AmazonBasics chair sucks rear end sitting in all day. Planning an upgrade on that eventually.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

edit; that photo stucks.

dema fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Apr 1, 2020

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
where I will be working remote for the foreseeable future

V
edit. It's a modded $200 walmart thing, with a dell monitor and raspberry pie - nerd alert

Withnail fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 2, 2020

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Nice, I've always wanted a Galaga machine (even though I'm literally out of AC outlets in this room, it'd have to go in the hallway and the roommates would hate it). What's under the hood, I'm assuming it's some kind of emulator?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Withnail posted:

On a scale of 0-5 how much craft brewing do you do?

Mister Speaker posted:

Nice, I've always wanted a Galaga machine (even though I'm literally out of AC outlets in this room, it'd have to go in the hallway and the roommates would hate it). What's under the hood, I'm assuming it's some kind of emulator?

It looks like one of the Arcade1up machines, in which case yes it’s an emulator. There’s a jillion of these available now, with everything from Star Wars to SFII to Mortal Kombat licensed on them.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Withnail posted:

V
edit. It's a modded $200 walmart thing, with a dell monitor and raspberry pie - nerd alert

A NERD? ON THE INTERNET???

Dielectric
May 3, 2010
Original Galaga represent:

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Yay, Arcade1Up! I stuck a Raspberry Pi 3 in mine, but it's really easy to use whatever you want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09DQCOr6zQM

I did not make this video, btw

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CubanMissile fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 7, 2020

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Dielectric posted:

Original Galaga represent:

You sure that's an original cabinet? Not doubting you but there's a sports bar in my neighbourhood with a Galaga cab so old it has ashtrays on both sides of the controls. Plays very differently to the multi-machine at my arcade, too.

Nice mau5head.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Mister Speaker posted:

You sure that's an original cabinet? Not doubting you but there's a sports bar in my neighbourhood with a Galaga cab so old it has ashtrays on both sides of the controls. Plays very differently to the multi-machine at my arcade, too.

Nice mau5head.

Those ashtrays are bolt on, I could buy a pair tomorrow.

that galaga looks to be in good shape for its age, the cpo might be a repro, but i'm betting it's an original board.

All the pac/galaga mashups are remakes though.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Deviant posted:

Those ashtrays are bolt on, I could buy a pair tomorrow.

that galaga looks to be in good shape for its age, the cpo might be a repro, but i'm betting it's an original board.

All the pac/galaga mashups are remakes though.

I remember GalaxMan machines from my childhood and that was only 30 years ago! Those were remakes right?

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

Mister Speaker posted:

Nice mau5head.

Original board, updated power supply. It's some kind of frankenstein though, the display has burn-in from a landscaped poker game so it's definitely not 100% original, I was just being cheeky. It was likely in a line with other cabinets because there were no decals on the side so I stuck those on. The edge banding is crapped out, might replace someday when I'm feeling frisky.

Yeah, we got the dead mouse, Thomas, and behind them is a Marshmello. They're all lit with addressable LEDs. Fun projects, always finished in a rush because Halloween sneaks up on us every time.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Say hullo to my brick stand

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Hi folks, just wondering what the goon opinion on the many various manual (crank or pneumatic) and electric sit-to-stand desks that are available? I'm looking for something at least 54 inches wide, with a minimum height of 28.5 inches. I'm not concerned about the maximum height, it's much easier to raise a keyboard a few more inches than to lower it the extra inch or half an inch I have found I need below a standard 30 inch high desk.

I'd like to keep my budget under $500 but I feel like that's a pipe dream. The markup on these products seems extremely high to me!

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Lawnie posted:

Hi folks, just wondering what the goon opinion on the many various manual (crank or pneumatic) and electric sit-to-stand desks that are available? I'm looking for something at least 54 inches wide, with a minimum height of 28.5 inches. I'm not concerned about the maximum height, it's much easier to raise a keyboard a few more inches than to lower it the extra inch or half an inch I have found I need below a standard 30 inch high desk.

I'd like to keep my budget under $500 but I feel like that's a pipe dream. The markup on these products seems extremely high to me!

IKEA's Bekant desks are $480. I have a corner one for my home office and it's been a perfectly reasonable desk. You'll need to assemble it yourself, but that's the case with the Jarvis and I think Uplift and a lot of the other more niche ergonomy retailers as well.

You can probably find a cheaper manually adjusted desk somewhere, which may be a good idea if you don't intend to move it very often since that's one less point of failure.

Another option is to just buy an adjustable frame from wherever and source your own desktop. Just the frames seem to go for $300-$400 or so, all you really need to do is screw them to an appropriate slab of wood or approximation thereof.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Xerophyte posted:

Another option is to just buy an adjustable frame from wherever and source your own desktop. Just the frames seem to go for $300-$400 or so, all you really need to do is screw them to an appropriate slab of wood or approximation thereof.

This is what I did at my office. Motorized legs/frame + countertop.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
As somebody who works in labs I’m kinda surprised standing height desks with tall chairs aren’t more the norm. Like, why get something motorized when you can have something at counter/workbench height with complementing seating? Sure you maybe can’t recline as much depending on the chair but I’ve never minded working from bench top height.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Ok Comboomer posted:

As somebody who works in labs I’m kinda surprised standing height desks with tall chairs aren’t more the norm. Like, why get something motorized when you can have something at counter/workbench height with complementing seating? Sure you maybe can’t recline as much depending on the chair but I’ve never minded working from bench top height.

We had draft tables at my old workplace. I liked the table surface.The problem we ran into was the expense of comfortable 'task chairs' and the differing heights of everyone that worked at the company.

I think a standing desk and a task chair is the ticket, if only to dial in the standing height part and use a task chair (or stool) to rest or alternate the body position.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Lawnie posted:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-62-in-Adjustable-Height-Work-Bench-Table-HOLT62XDB12/301810799

Got mine for $200 even.

takes a while to go up and down, but it's not as big of an issue as I thought.

I got it because my chair also sucks but the desk was cheaper to replace so I can stand when I want to stretch for a minute.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Apr 23, 2020

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KingEup posted:

Say hullo to my brick stand

is that some kind of medical display?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

BurgerQuest posted:

is that some kind of medical display?

Yeah, it’s an FDA approved Sony OLED surgical display (true RGB not this WRGB garbage in use nowadays). The picture quality is breathtaking. I have a couple of them.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Apr 23, 2020

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Surplus from work or you just really really wanted a reasonable size OLED PC monitor? Can you turn the lights off on the controls around the side?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

BurgerQuest posted:

Surplus from work or you just really really wanted a reasonable size OLED PC monitor? Can you turn the lights off on the controls around the side?

You can turn LEDs off yeah. Just wanted OLEDs because I couldn’t stand the IPS glow and backlight bleed any longer

KingEup fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Apr 23, 2020

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Wasabi the J posted:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-62-in-Adjustable-Height-Work-Bench-Table-HOLT62XDB12/301810799

Got mine for $200 even.

takes a while to go up and down, but it's not as big of an issue as I thought.

I got it because my chair also sucks but the desk was cheaper to replace so I can stand when I want to stretch for a minute.

Wow this is pretty much EXACTLY what I wanted to find, thank you! I don’t really care how long it takes to go up and down, I’m not going to die from cranking a minute or two to move it, and the height is just right as well.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Ok Comboomer posted:

This is how I have my office setup and I love it. There's a 7-1/2x2-1/2 alcove in my office, so I tucked a butcher block on black pipe frame desk in it, and built a floating shelf above it for my larger Lego stuff that's just the right height for the monitors to fit under. I still need to either stain or paint the shelf facing and install some LEDs.

The desktop surface is tall enough that I can tuck the front of the exercise bike under it and pedal while I work, low enough that it's pretty close to the perfect 90 degree elbow bend height, and I have a barstool style task chair that's used more by the cat than me. Plus the 3x3 storage cubes and the filing cabinet fit underneath it. It's far from neat and tidy, but it's perfectly functional for both work and recreation, and has enough space on top that I can tuck the keyboards away and do large set builds, small electronic tinkering (there's an Ender 3 Pro on the other side of the room) or draft out projects for the house.

The white pyramid hanging under the left side of the shelf is a light therapy box, and I have a folding treadmill and a ceiling hook for TRX straps so it also doubles as my home gym. I have done many HIIT sets while listening in on conference calls and am down 30lbs since mid January.

CommanderApaul fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 24, 2020

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Lawnie posted:

Wow this is pretty much EXACTLY what I wanted to find, thank you! I don’t really care how long it takes to go up and down, I’m not going to die from cranking a minute or two to move it, and the height is just right as well.

I just bought this desk from Monoprice:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=312&cp_id=31214&cs_id=3121403&p_id=15721&seq=1&format=2

I really like it, I already had a desk top from Ikea. It only only takes about 30 cranks from all the way down to all the way up. I'm 5'10" and at 25 cranks it about shoulder height.

I'd highly recommend it. It's available on amazon as well for a little more, but free shipping.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IRYWD4G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Making progress on the office at my new house.