Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
The latest dev post did say something that they’re not happy about the above surface bits, that they’re not nearly up to the quality of the rest of the game, and they’re getting rebuilt to be more fun for the next content update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Yeah, you see, which biome was this in? I must have Seamothed right past it.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Drake_263 posted:

The latest dev post did say something that they’re not happy about the above surface bits, that they’re not nearly up to the quality of the rest of the game, and they’re getting rebuilt to be more fun for the next content update.

like i said before: 2021 release

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Did another run and built another base, with living facilities for a research team of ten, because building is the best part for me. I'll almost entirely certain I grabbed and salvaged every possible non-buildable special item in the game as decorative or narrative room pieces. Also, the scanner room reveals I have sucked up pretty much every available non-renewable resource in its fully maxed range in the process of building this thing.

(Full gallery: https://imgur.com/a/1niw0X8 )

LeschNyhan fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Mar 28, 2020

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
That's gotta leave a ding on your frame rate

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Amazing base, I guess you're not leaving the planet eh? Lol

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Lou Takki posted:

Amazing base, I guess you're not leaving the planet eh? Lol

And deal with Alterra? I’m sorry, the debtor you are looking for is unavailable. Please try again.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Welp. Got further than any save before and got to the sea emperor pool area past the second white tablet, only to have the terrain bug out and get caught in geometry. Last save.. 2 hours before. What a loving stupid game.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
I love this dumb game, but it definitely feels like they succeeded despite themselves. Feels like they are stumbling their way through Below Zero too, hopefully they blunder into something good there as well.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Ambaire posted:

Welp. Got further than any save before and got to the sea emperor pool area past the second white tablet, only to have the terrain bug out and get caught in geometry. Last save.. 2 hours before. What a loving stupid game.

The game saves every time you enter a habitat or cyclops. Make a habit of "refreshing" things every now and then.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

The Super-Id posted:

I love this dumb game, but it definitely feels like they succeeded despite themselves. Feels like they are stumbling their way through Below Zero too, hopefully they blunder into something good there as well.

Pretty much. The devs are total amateurs. Whenever I check out their Trello/Favro/whatever, I feel really embarrassed for them. Literally the only reason this game became popular is because at the time, it was the only game in this specific "underwater exploration/building" genre.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
To be fair, many great games are happy accidents. It's widely agreed upon that Blizzard's masterpiece RTS, Starcraft, is mostly a happy accident for most of its subtleties, especially balance. Didn't stop Blizzard from making fuckin' bank from it, and now I get to stream live games of it twenty years later. If it's lacking a bit of that experimental "I'm not sure if this really works!?", then it's probably derivative stuff.

We have subnautica, be happy!

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, really we're all loving morons and it's amazing we put our pants on without killing ourselves every morning. Some of us probably don't even accomplish that.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
It was also the first survival that really had a coherent narrative tying it together(except The Long Dark maybe?). Being underwater did help though.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

enraged_camel posted:

Pretty much. The devs are total amateurs. Whenever I check out their Trello/Favro/whatever, I feel really embarrassed for them. Literally the only reason this game became popular is because at the time, it was the only game in this specific "underwater exploration/building" genre.

I think the reason Subnautica is good is because the devs are really self critical and they're able to admit when they've made bad design decisions. Having them rip out the entire story or redo all the above water parts are really positive signs. It's better to be persistent than talented. If you keep redoing parts of the game until they're good then you're going to end up with a good game.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Or you're going to end up with Duke Nukem Forever!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

just lol if you put on pants every morning

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
How many dev teams are you dropping in on to form a relative opinion of their maturity from a ticketing system?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Salt Fish posted:

I think the reason Subnautica is good is because the devs are really self critical and they're able to admit when they've made bad design decisions. Having them rip out the entire story or redo all the above water parts are really positive signs. It's better to be persistent than talented. If you keep redoing parts of the game until they're good then you're going to end up with a good game.

the Destiny 1 team did this and it took 2 years to make that thing into a good game

the Anthem team also did this and it never became a good game

there's admitting your mistakes and there's floundering. fingers crossed what's going on with the new game is more the former.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

JawnV6 posted:

How many dev teams are you dropping in on to form a relative opinion of their maturity from a ticketing system?

No need to even look at their ticketing system. You can just look at how many game-breaking bugs the product still has, several years after initial release, and come to your own conclusions.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I don't mean for my posts to be overly negative, I do love this game despite its flaws.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Serephina posted:

The game saves every time you enter a habitat or cyclops. Make a habit of "refreshing" things every now and then.

I'm guessing that climbing out of a moon pool doesn't count as 'entering' a habitat.. and I had entered the cyclops at least twice in that time, albeit by docking with the Prawn.

I will say that the Prawn with dual grappling hooks is loving amazing combined with a tunnel roof. I just swung down the roof all the way to the lava zone and to the containment facility. 6+ times in a row since I skipped some progression and took forever to find the power facility.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

enraged_camel posted:

No need to even look at their ticketing system. You can just look at how many game-breaking bugs the product still has, several years after initial release, and come to your own conclusions.

But you do spend time out of your day to monitor their communications to further refine your hatred? Or were you just falsely bragging about doing so for internet points?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

JawnV6 posted:

But you do spend time out of your day to monitor their communications to further refine your hatred? Or were you just falsely bragging about doing so for internet points?

"Hatred" is a strong word, especially considering I bought and played their game and finished it.

It is possible to make observations about and pass judgment on something without emotional attachment. I work in software consulting, so I assure you I'm not making it up when I say that this dev team is a bunch of amateurs. Nothing to do with "internet points" either. We're just casually chatting here, aren't we?

The real question is why you seem incapable of letting this go... Are you affiliated with them or something?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I think the problem is that game development is mostly stumbling around blindly feeling for something that works, and expertise/professionalism only helps with a few specific varieties of problems like bugs and asset polish.

Early Access just exposes all that to players

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
not emptyquoting

this is especially true when you are doing something new, either to your particular team/studio, or to the industry at large. and turnover in gamedev is so outrageously high that at any given time, even in a veteran studio, a majority of the workforce might have little to no experience

maybe we need more software consultants

edit: not commenting on any studios in particular, this one or any other- but yeah, it's amazing any game gets made, ever

ikanreed posted:

I think the problem is that game development is mostly stumbling around blindly feeling for something that works, and expertise/professionalism only helps with a few specific varieties of problems like bugs and asset polish.

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Apr 1, 2020

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

enraged_camel posted:

"Hatred" is a strong word, especially considering I bought and played their game and finished it.

It is possible to make observations about and pass judgment on something without emotional attachment. I work in software consulting, so I assure you I'm not making it up when I say that this dev team is a bunch of amateurs. Nothing to do with "internet points" either. We're just casually chatting here, aren't we?

The real question is why you seem incapable of letting this go... Are you affiliated with them or something?

No I've just never played a game and, upon seeing a floating fish inside, dedicated hours upon hours of my life to following up on the dev team to the point of looking at their public communications and comparing it to other devs. That fixation seems a little deeper and more unhealthy than my *checks notes* 3 shitposts in a thread, but fair point I have asked about this a couple times.

I have some experience with devs as well, but it's the time spent not playing the game, not looking at the game, not thinking about the game, but reading ancillary sideband text wholly separate from the media and taking the time to relate those opinions here.

who has the time?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

JawnV6 posted:

No I've just never played a game and, upon seeing a floating fish inside, dedicated hours upon hours of my life to following up on the dev team to the point of looking at their public communications and comparing it to other devs. That fixation seems a little deeper and more unhealthy than my *checks notes* 3 shitposts in a thread, but fair point I have asked about this a couple times.

I have some experience with devs as well, but it's the time spent not playing the game, not looking at the game, not thinking about the game, but reading ancillary sideband text wholly separate from the media and taking the time to relate those opinions here.

who has the time?

I mean I do get excited every time they send their emails with gameplay updates and stuff, which is about... once every other month at this point? And I get excited and check their favro to see what specific stuff has been added, which takes a few minutes. But, speaking more broadly, the average quality of the original game (which, like I said, still has severe gamebreaking bugs and other problems), combined with the delays in both the original game and this one, tells you everything about their level of skill and discipline.

I do bring that up in this thread occasionally, more out of amusement than anything else. What else is being discussed anyway, other than the occasional new player chiming in with questions?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
The first subnautica game stand out to me as one of the best PC games ever made, so their dev teams gotta be doing something right.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
I would say that the biggest problem with this team is that they are understaffed. The dev team for subnautica was pretty small the last time I checked. They are very creative, probably more talented than they look, and are very good at adding atmosphere to their games but sometimes they seem to dream a little too big for the resources they have.

For example, for the game they made before subnautica, Natural Selection 2, they created their own engine in lua, which is impressive but the game was plagued with bugs and lag upon release.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Oh yea, don't get me started on NS2. Apparently it's so trivial to write hacks that bypass whatever VAC does, that on public hack forums the comment is "the game uses the same code for Parasite1 as it does for observing, and you can just check the box to give it to players ingame". Boom instant wallhacks.
And then they also dropped an entire OS support quoting lack of dev resources, I'm still salty I can't play a currently maintained game I paid money for.

1Ingame ability that tags an opponent to be visible through walls and map to entire team.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Hey, did ~the big story update~ happen? I've had BZ sitting idle for a while and just noticed a large update! Is it finally finished enough to dive in? :heysexy:

ikanreed posted:

The War Stories posted earlier has some really good episodes, most of which leads me to this conclusion. Game development looks more intentional than it is, in hindsight, and getting to see the sausage being made reveals that the difference between ambition and execution is an ocean. Honestly, we should have already realized this from every PC Gamer/IGN preview versus released content...

:shrug:

Also: :bandwagon: Outer Wilds is ~the poo poo~ and if you don't already have Epic for Untitled Goose Game I literally can't even. :honk:

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
Yeah, Charlie's development style is more iterative and certain things may not get fixed until 1-2 years after release. I remember seeing the "Infection-Tech" demo being the only news they had on NS2 for over a year.

That being said, what they lack in technical skills, they make up in ambition and cohesion. It's like Eurojank, except it's Amerijank.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Hey, did ~the big story update~ happen? I've had BZ sitting idle for a while and just noticed a large update! Is it finally finished enough to dive in? :heysexy:

It's not out yet.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Apparently the next update is going to be the big story update. Most of the actual content is in, they're going to redo the vast majority of the (apparently subpar, I haven't played it yet) dry bits, and the story is getting completely rebuilt.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
There wasn't really enough story in the game to really give a good judgement about it. What we got was decent.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I saw a sneak peek at the story from some guy on youtube, new story seems to be that you are a spy or something from some rival transgov, and you crash land near an alterra base

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I still wish they'd let the Sunbeam be an alternate means of escape from the planet if you had cured the disease and shut down the defense platform first, rather than it 'staying in orbit'.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Out of curiosity, how on earth would you get so deep so fast? It's like 2 hours in isn't it? I'm sure it's just some optimal speedrunning stuff, but I'd like to imagine that some crazy bastard did it by attaching tubes from a surface pump and swimming down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Ambaire posted:

I still wish they'd let the Sunbeam be an alternate means of escape from the planet if you had cured the disease and shut down the defense platform first, rather than it 'staying in orbit'.

It would be cool but really expensive, a small developer like that would be pretty foolish to waste time on that to secure an event that you'll only see if you are cheating or speedrunning.