Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should there even be a poll here???
This poll is closed.
Yes 106 15.84%
No 117 17.49%
Goku 446 66.67%
Total: 669 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Don't forget that they're practically staffed by slave labor because the economics wouldn't work if they had to pay a living wage. One of the many reasons they're all ported in other countries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ilmucche posted:

What percentile gets the guillotine then

I mean if you want to guillotine all idiots that are bad for humanity/the earth then sure go for the easy 1%ers since those are guaranteed monsters
but the rest are pretty evenly distributed. There are a lot of shitheads in every band.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
just keep guillotining the top 0.1% over and over until its all sorted out

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
My towns summer economy relies on cruise ship tourism and the people who stagger off those boats are huge nimrods, complete gomers, absolute dotards, rotund bovine Americans who are just a fleshy torus around yawning digestive tracts, ancient Chinese mummies wretched with swine flu, dripping Floridian ghouls with noroviral flatulence, dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn looking for an angry fix. What sphinx of cement and aluminum bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination?

BallisticClipboard
Feb 18, 2013

Such a good worker!

Turpitude posted:

My towns summer economy relies on cruise ship tourism and the people who stagger off those boats are huge nimrods, complete gomers, absolute dotards, rotund bovine Americans who are just a fleshy torus around yawning digestive tracts, ancient Chinese mummies wretched with swine flu, dripping Floridian ghouls with noroviral flatulence, dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn looking for an angry fix. What sphinx of cement and aluminum bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination?

sorry your town is dying

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

BallisticClipboard posted:

sorry your town is dying

oh yeah well IM GLAD OF IT!!

but seriously the price we pay in pollution from the diseased ships is way worse than the money they put into our economy buying trinkets and taking busrides and poo poo

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Yeah and there's such a thing as more responsible tourism - maybe if cruise ships weren't constantly trampling places something more sustainable could be worked out.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Turpitude posted:

this is a good post and an excellent reference

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

chitoryu12 posted:

Roald Dahl wrote a short story about the time when ocean liner passengers would have over-under bets on how far the ship would travel the next day. A guy tries to rig it by jumping off the ship so they'll have to turn around and rescue him, but he doesn't realize the only person to witness it is an elderly woman with dementia who isn't believed.

It’s called A Dip in the Pool. They made an episode of Tales of the Unexpected out of it too.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

gary oldmans diary posted:

just keep guillotining the top 0.1% over and over until its all sorted out

The nice part of this is that as the inheritance filters down you'll kill off entire families, right down to the toddlers of those rich fucks!

Serious question though, what happens to those fortunes when there is nobody left to inherit them?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Fortunes that big have wills drawn up long in advance. Worst case scenario is things get distributed to a bunch of charities (or private institutions etc) of their choice.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
That's when the looting begins! If it's in a bank, they get first dibs, followed by the government. But eventually you'll be looting the bank, and hopefully spreading the wealth far and wide.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Inspector 34 posted:

The nice part of this is that as the inheritance filters down you'll kill off entire families, right down to the toddlers of those rich fucks!

Serious question though, what happens to those fortunes when there is nobody left to inherit them?

Depends on the country. In England and Wales if you die intestate and nobody can find a direct blood relative who would have a claim to the estate (yes, there are companies devoted to doing exactly this, for a chunk of the estate) it goes to the state - unless you die in Cornwall, in which case it goes to Prince Charles, which amazingly isn't a joke, or rather the joke is we have a nuclear-armed (sort-of) democracy in the 21st century that still has a hereditary monarchy that have a serious incentive to go granny-hunting if funds get low.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Depends on the country. In England and Wales if you die intestate and nobody can find a direct blood relative who would have a claim to the estate (yes, there are companies devoted to doing exactly this, for a chunk of the estate) it goes to the state - unless you die in Cornwall, in which case it goes to Prince Charles, which amazingly isn't a joke, or rather the joke is we have a nuclear-armed (sort-of) democracy in the 21st century that still has a hereditary monarchy that have a serious incentive to go granny-hunting if funds get low.

fifty grannies a day sacrificed to keep the god-empress of britain alive on her golden throne

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

quote:

When the English King established in 1230 the Office of the Royal Escheator to centralize bona vacantia, Earl Edmund of Cornwall pressed his claim to bona vacantia by having his viscounts continue to handle them. Until the 1337 and 1338 Duchy Charters, the issue was contentious between the king and earl. In the Duchy Charters, the King formalized the bona vacantia right with the duchy.

Just a perfectly normal basis for running a country in Space Year 2020.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Byzantine posted:

fifty grannies a day sacrificed to keep the god-empress of britain alive on her golden throne

You know I'm certain you could easily find 50 grannies a day completely willing to sacrifice themselves to keep Her Maj in swan necks to wipe her arse with because this country is just that loving stupid.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Topical for the thread: because cruise companies are registered in the French Antilles or wherever specifically to avoid pesky poo poo like labour laws and corporate taxes, they're excluded from any US federal bailout money.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Are they exempt from that 500b "discretionary" fund that trump and mnuchen just get to hand out however they want and not tell anyone for 6 months? That's still a part of that bill right?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Just kill everyone that has anything you don't. That's how freedom works.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

jamal posted:

Are they exempt from that 500b "discretionary" fund that trump and mnuchen just get to hand out however they want and not tell anyone for 6 months? That's still a part of that bill right?

there's no chance in hell that a penny from that fund leaves Trumpco hands. they will gold plate the loving golf turf if they have to.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

Just kill everyone that has anything you don't. That's how freedom works.

freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Dragonstoned posted:

When it comes to the guillotine it's important to start at the top first with the individuals who have more wealth than a small countries entire GDP.

These are the people that need to lose their heads, not random people who happen to have a bit more cash than you but are still laughably poor compared to the real shits hoarding 99% of the worlds wealth.

The reality: 90% of the people killed by The Terror were "third estate" workers and peasants.

WWI did more to wipe out the French nobility.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Also it was lead by rich people. But ignore that.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Just a perfectly normal basis for running a country in Space Year 2020.

'Rona vacantia, if you will

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

C.M. Kruger posted:

The reality: 90% of the people killed by The Terror were "third estate" workers and peasants.

WWI did more to wipe out the French nobility.

Comrades, a counter-revolutionary!

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/rexchapman/status/1245106348808904704?s=21

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

The Bloop posted:

not 1%ers but not lower-middle either, for the most part

Depends on the cruise line. I know a lot of people who are in that range who go on cruises. The all-inclusive thing is very appealing, and those lines often offer "all you can drink" deals as well. If you know how to buy and you use the same cruise line repeatedly, it can be a pretty cheap way to travel, you can go with a large group of people (many do it as a big family reunion), and there's usually child care included so you don't have to worry about your kids all the time. Financially, they can be a good deal.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Piss Meridian posted:

Comrades, are counter-revolutionary!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

That got an actual laugh out of me.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Holy poo poo lol

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This is fuckin real good.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Megillah Gorilla posted:

That got an actual laugh out of me.

Same here. Made MY WIFE watch and she laughed hard.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

Dear lord I'm dying. This is hilarious!

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

mds2 posted:

Same here. Made MY WIFE watch and she laughed hard.

Same over here.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Cruises freak me out because you could just walk by someone by the edge of the deck and shove them off and nobody would ever know

Only if you're out at sea

Overboard in port is forbidden schad territory

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

OMG i passed this up at first, god tier pranks.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

lmao

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

LifeSunDeath posted:

OMG i passed this up at first, god tier pranks.

Yeah, absolutely no one should be holding back on this one.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

He kept a straight face because the scream was edited in later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Ok, I'm going to have to kink-shame now.