Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Preggo My Eggo! posted:

OK so to what extent do you feel that Chinese citizens are able to speak freely? Like give me a ballpark percentage, assuming that the US has 90% free speech. For the most part we can say pretty much what we want, we can say it to anybody in the world, and journalism isn't controlled by the state. Does China have a similar level of free speech in your view, more, or less?

The basis of my post was that the Chinese govt has the power to suppress speech, which you refuted, so I'm trying to focus on that.

You can't ascribe a number to free speech you moron. There absolutely is a ton of censorship in China but that doesn't mean that said censorship is an iron barrier. We know this because we see censored poo poo posted on Weibo all the time. If there were hundreds of thousands more dead in China than was previously known, people would be talking about it. People have phones, they have access to internet outside of the Great Wall and access to sites that aren't censored by the Chinese government - and we aren't seeing that. Instead, what we have are some people from western countries asserting that of course the Chinese government has lied, of course they couldn't have responded effectively to the pandemic, and of course there must be hundreds of thousands dead. It is an assumption borne from first principles - the Chinese government is bad (which it is), so therefore it must do a bad job at everything that it does (which isn't true). If it looks like China is doing a better job at something than western governments have, then it must instead be the case that China is lying much more than anyone else is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I'm in America and I have no idea how many people are sick or dying here. I have to rely on the government to tell me.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Preggo My Eggo! posted:

It's not millions of people dropping dead simultaneously in the same town, like the bubonic plague. It's like, "On Wednesday the old man down the hall died in his apartment and the ambulance came to take it away. We watched it through the peephole of our apartment door." Times a million, spread out over a very large country, over a period of months.
You're a loving idiot. The entire problem with COVID-19 is that it's highly contagious with a lengthy asymptomatic period. So you don't just get one or two cases of COVID-19 in a town where everything's going on as normal. You get one or two cases, then you get three or four, then you get seven or eight, and the epidemic keeps spreading until it's stopped. In the scenario you're suggesting, that's not going to happen until pretty much everyone's had it, 10-20% of the population needed hospitalisation, and 10-20% of the elderly people flat-out loving died. Good luck covering that one up.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
Back in January and early February, Chinese people were extremely loving pissed by how the government had handled the outbreak. Online comments were overwhelming the censors. Everything was getting posted, and any auto filtering was quickly bypassed by creative poo poo like posting in Qing Dynasty script or Klingon. Party members I know were openly talking about how Xi had to go, that this was worse than Tiananmen, that the other senior party leaders were going to push Xi out. There were a few days when it honestly felt like there was about to be a major political shift in PRC.

Then the US and a few other countries came onto the scene and poo poo their pants with such vigor that suddenly everyone's feeling like China didn't do so bad and maybe this surveillance authoritarianism thing is a good idea.

Preggo My Eggo!
Jun 17, 2010

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Lets say it's zero point zero zero percent. So what?

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Literally anyone can just go to china, people go to china all the time, Americans have gone to china, I've personally been to china, there is american citizens in china right now. There is 300,000 chinese citizen students on student visas IN the US right now from china. A bunch of teens who call their mom in beijing and would have no problem mentioning their mom died and it was covered up to twitter.

This is you posting:
Step 1: Go to an extreme (zero point zero zero) so you don't have to think too hard, and tack on a "so what" to make yourself feel clever.

Step 2: Provide examples of some non-zero level of free speech, while failing to describe (or even think about) ways that China might have less speech freedom than the US. The essential argument you're making is "China has some level of free speech, therefore it's 100%."

You're a dumbass and you didn't answer the question. You could just ignore the question if you don't want to respond to it, of course.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
So speaking of case reporting, from the Boston Globe:

quote:

Holyoke death toll rises to 13, as mayor accuses suspended Soldiers’ Home director of concealing deaths

10 additional residents and 7 staff members have also tested positive, and 25 more veterans are awaiting test results.

State and local officials did not learn until the weekend that a coronavirus outbreak at the Soldiers’ Home in Holyoke, where 13 veterans have died this month, had taken a deadly turn, Holyoke Mayor Alex Morse said Tuesday.

Six of the residents who have died since March 1 have tested positive for COVID-19, the state Executive Office of Health and Human Services announced Tuesday, and five more tests on victims are pending.

One additional test was negative and another is unknown, according to the state. Seven staff members also have tested positive, and 25 residents are awaiting test results.

In a speech livestreamed Tuesday on Facebook, Morse described the sequence of events that brought the deaths to light. After his office received an anonymous tip on Saturday about unhealthy conditions at the home, a nurse with the city’s health board reached out to the facility, but got no response.

On Sunday, the mayor said he called the facility’s superintendent, Bennett Walsh. It was during that telephone conversation that Morse said the city learned for the first time about the deaths of the veterans.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/03/31/metro/holyoke-mayor-accuses-suspended-soldiers-home-director-concealing-deaths/

(Holyoke is in Western Mass, near Springfield)

seraphkz
Mar 27, 2020

Chinese government controls the media.
However there are many ways the Chinese people can access outside news. A lot of people are using VPNs to get around the Chinese firewall and people are extremely vocal about their opinions in China. China is nothing like North Korea.

Preggo My Eggo!
Jun 17, 2010

Sampatrick posted:

There absolutely is a ton of censorship in China but that doesn't mean that said censorship is an iron barrier.

Yeah that's what I'm saying -- I'm recognizing that it's not an iron barrier, and accepting that anybody reasonable would also agree that China has some level of speech suppression. It's not one extreme or the other.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Preggo My Eggo! posted:

Yeah that's what I'm saying -- I'm recognizing that it's not an iron barrier, and accepting that anybody reasonable would also agree that China has some level of speech suppression. It's not one extreme or the other.

Yes, my criticism is that you turned the fact that they could suppress speech regarding Covid into an affirmation that they were - and in the process, you are lending credence to other people in this thread who are claiming hundreds of thousands of dead as a result of Covid. What I'm saying is that they absolutely could not suppress anything on that scale from having happened.

Preggo My Eggo!
Jun 17, 2010
Other people don't speak for me. What I said is that they CAN suppress speech, therefore they ARE.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Preggo My Eggo! posted:

Other people don't speak for me. What I said is that they CAN suppress speech, therefore they ARE.

You can't possibly expect that it's reasonable to input something into a discussion and not have the surrounding discussion add context to what you are saying. Other people don't speak for you, but certainly the context in which you are saying something adds additional meaning to what you are saying.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Preggo My Eggo! posted:

This is you posting:
Step 1: Go to an extreme (zero point zero zero) so you don't have to think too hard, and tack on a "so what" to make yourself feel clever.

Step 2: Provide examples of some non-zero level of free speech, while failing to describe (or even think about) ways that China might have less speech freedom than the US. The essential argument you're making is "China has some level of free speech, therefore it's 100%."

You're a dumbass and you didn't answer the question. You could just ignore the question if you don't want to respond to it, of course.

It doesn’t matter what level of free speech someone in China has. China is not some weird alien planet, people come and go frequently. Even if you believe a Chinese guy can’t tell you anything, there is literal American citizens in China and who have been to China recently and literal Chinese citizens in American and people have cell phones and email and we chat even if Facebook is restricted. Even if you can’t trust a single thing a Chinese person says it doesn’t matter, there are plenty of no Chinese in China or who have been to China or whatever. There is western reporters just in China all the time. It’s literally not some secret zone we don’t know things about.

netBuff
Nov 7, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

youre dick posted:

It's this. I'm getting a little crabby seeing China's numbers being used as some kind of metric against which others are to be measured. I don't see how anyone can claim with a strait face that after being a disinformation factory for it's entire existence that the ChiComs all of a sudden had an epiphany and decided to be completely honest about something that, when viewed in a certain light, can be said to reflect poorly on them

If you want to be taken seriously, maybe don't use terms from the Rush Limbaugh show.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Malaria posted:

Im a nurse. work in the ER, night shift, in West Michigan. It's just starting to get bad here.

We have half the ER sealed off where we are putting everyone with respiratory symptoms in. Tonight we intubated four people. Homeless people from the mission down town. I'm gonna assume the entire mission which houses up to 400 people is infected at this point.

We're rationing masks and gowns already. 1 per person per shift. It's just now starting to pickup. I imagine we're gonna be wearing trash bags for ppe in a week or two.

Our boss came in today and talked about a hospital in Southfield (other side of the state, near Detroit) housing intubated patients in the ER hallways because there are no crit beds.

This whole scenario is bleak.

I'm just kind of rambling here. But I'll start posting what kind of crazy poo poo I see. I work 5 out of the next 6 nights. It's gonna get weird.

Thank you for doing what you're doing and good luck.

Preggo My Eggo!
Jun 17, 2010

Sampatrick posted:

You can't possibly expect that it's reasonable to input something into a discussion and not have the surrounding discussion add context to what you are saying. Other people don't speak for you, but certainly the context in which you are saying something adds additional meaning to what you are saying.

It seems like the context is "One group of posters thinks millions are dead in China and the other camp thinks speech in China is 100% free -- which side are you on?" Given that, I guess I'm attempting to change the context of the discussion. That sort of extreme context prevents nuanced debate.

The_Fuzzinator
Oct 9, 2007

I know now why you Cuddle. But it's something I can never do.

Preggo My Eggo! posted:

It seems like the context is "One group of posters thinks millions are dead in China and the other camp thinks speech in China is 100% free -- which side are you on?" Given that, I guess I'm attempting to change the context of the discussion. That sort of extreme context prevents nuanced debate.

Wheres the camp that things millions are dead and Everyones speech is 100% free and they all independently decided that hiding that fact is the best idea

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

Pillbug

The_Fuzzinator posted:

Wheres the camp that things millions are dead and Everyones speech is 100% free and they all independently decided that hiding that fact is the best idea

The White House?

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Preggo My Eggo! posted:

That was never the context of the other side and I am pretty confused as to how you came to that conclusion. Afaik, literally every single person saying that information would leak from China was also saying that there was censorship in China, it just couldn't cover up anything on the proposed scale. You're inventing a bit of a strawman here.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Dumb goons ITT think that China silencing one doctor in December is the same thing as silencing 80,000 doctors in February, and that the latter is even remotely feasible in an extremely online world.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

So in some more positive Coronavirus related news, we have a letter from various Democratic Representatives/Senators formally pushing for the Trump administration to halt the sanctions on Iran:

The Huffington Post posted:

The congressional letter, shared with HuffPost ahead of its public release, is addressed to Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin and led by Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.). Notable signatories include Reps. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.) and Barbara Lee (D-Calif.) and Sens. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) and Ed Markey (D-Mass.).
“Allowing this crisis to become more dire in Iran threatens significant harm not only to the people of Iran but also to people in the United States and around the world,” the letter says.

I'm so incredibly happy that we're seeing a broader and more focused push to help end sanctions and help Iran more effectively combat the Coronavirus! God willing, we will do so and help prevent untold amounts of suffering and loss of human life.

(Also, I apologize if this is more appropriate for the USPOL thread than this one. I was unsure of which thread would be better for it, but I wanted to share it: it seems like it's been a little while since we've had positive news like this.)

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Yeah, the active denial of medical supplies for Iran by the US government is a crime against humanity and should stop.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/sarahcpr/status/1245128704340131841

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I'm not super into the coverup stuff but I guess I just have a hard time understanding how the virus started in china, spread to the rest of the world, but most of China was relatively untouched. It seems like it's so infectious that shouldn't have been possible.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

Pillbug

beejay posted:

I'm not super into the coverup stuff but I guess I just have a hard time understanding how the virus started in china, spread to the rest of the world, but most of China was relatively untouched. It seems like it's so infectious that shouldn't have been possible.

They completely locked down a province of 60 million people, put in place strict policies in every other place, and threw every resource of the state at it.

Some contagious people left the country before that lockdown. Some of those people went to places that handled the situation smartly (e.g., Singapore, Taiwan, et al). Some of them went to places that jammed their heads deeper into the sand.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I get the feeling Trumps not going to win New York in November

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Smeef posted:

They completely locked down a province of 60 million people, put in place strict policies in every other place, and threw every resource of the state at it.

Some contagious people left the country before that lockdown. Some of those people went to places that handled the situation smartly (e.g., Singapore, Taiwan, et al). Some of them went to places that jammed their heads deeper into the sand.

Yeah I guess I'm overestimating the "lockdowns" in America. My neighbor leaves several times a day to do who knows what, and we're supposed to be "essential travel only" here.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

PT6A posted:

Except everyone was talking about what craaaazy severe restrictions China had put in place to control the spread of the virus, how they were welding doors shut, how they were restricting movement, etc.

If the people whose job it was to prepare for this thing didn't understand how severe it was going to be, that was on them. Because even if the Chinese under-reported deaths either knowingly or unknowingly, it was obvious how seriously China was taking this illness. There were and are Americans and Canadians and all sorts of westerners in China (because, as OOCC points out, it's not some sort of weird fantasy land, it's a place that you can go to and look at) telling us. There were Italian people telling us. There were Iranian people telling us. Everyone had all the evidence they needed to know exactly how bad this poo poo could be, and given the US whiffed so hard on the response, it's utterly absurd and more than a little racist to blame under-reported Chinese deaths as the cause of that.

Yeah this is why the Chinese coverup conspiracy stuff is dumb. I'm prepared to believe there is significant underreporting of deaths due to a combination of diagnostic limitations and deceit to maintain governmental legitimacy and avoid panic, but every country engaged in this to some extent, and the talk about the Chinese cover-up is inextricably linked with westerners blaming China for causing this problem - "If only they'd been transparent about how serious this was we would have been able to stop it" - while for months western media and governments were gleefully reporting how China was massively overreacting with unreasonable, tyrranical measures, as befits cruel despotic orientals.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Uncle Wemus posted:

He did win the primary this year.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Uncle Wemus posted:

It just wouldn't be this thread and USPOL if somebody didn't come in to say this at least once a day.

kiss me Pikachu
Mar 9, 2008

beejay posted:

Yeah I guess I'm overestimating the "lockdowns" in America. My neighbor leaves several times a day to do who knows what, and we're supposed to be "essential travel only" here.

If they walled up every road leaving your town, blockaded alternate exits to your building, took your temperature leaving your home and in every public location and locked you down in a flu clinic if you showed any symptoms until you were proven not to have the coronavirus then you’d be approaching a China style lockdown. The non-mandatory suggestions in the states so far don’t really compare, although arresting people that open up businesses/churches prematurely is definitely a good idea.

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
personally i'd take a plague that kills 5% of the population every century if it means i can criticize the president without being killed in an execution van.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

human garbage bag posted:

personally i'd take a plague that kills 5% of the population every century if it means i can criticize the president without being killed in an execution van.

Weird false dichotomy no one asked for.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

beejay posted:

They were allowing one person per household out once every like 3 or 7 days to buy groceries and there were cops roaming around with thermometers and at the entrances to stores and apartment buildings. Also notably, covid first popped up in late december and by the end of the 3rd week in january they were in lockdown and building emergency hospitals from scratch in hubei. All things considered it was an exceptionally quick response. The idea that they took months to react is the stupidest poo poo ever

quote:

23 January
Wuhan suspended all public transportation from 10 a.m. onwards, including all bus, metro and ferry lines. Additionally, all outbound trains and flights were halted.[157] In Wuhan, construction began near midnight for a specialist emergency hospital, modelled after the Xiaotangshan Hospital during the 2003 SARS outbreak in Beijing, after it was proposed earlier in the afternoon. The new Huoshenshan Hospital opened on 3 February with a capacity of at least 1,000 beds.[311]

The three provinces of Zhejiang,[312] Guangdong,[313] and Hunan[314] declared a level 1 public health emergency (the highest possible) in chronological order.[315]

The release of all seven major films for the Lunar New Year was practically cancelled.[316] In an example of black humor, Plague Inc., which was released in 2012, surged to become the most popular app in China.[317]

This is a surprisingly in depth and exhaustive timeline, the february and march ones are good, too
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_the_2019%E2%80%9320_coronavirus_pandemic_in_November_2019_%E2%80%93_January_2020

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Apr 1, 2020

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Herstory Begins Now posted:

They were allowing one person per household out once every like 3 or 7 days to buy groceries and there were cops roaming around with thermometers and at the entrances to stores and apartment buildings.

That sounds good. That's what I'm doing anyway, but I'm concerned that other people are not doing that.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

PT6A posted:

That sounds good. That's what I'm doing anyway, but I'm concerned that other people are not doing that.

It’s not that feasible in places like New York City where you are limited by what you can carry, and what you have room to store.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

human garbage bag posted:

lol we have government-sanctioned concentration camps in this country right now shut the gently caress up

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

They were allowing one person per household out once every like 3 or 7 days to buy groceries and there were cops roaming around with thermometers and at the entrances to stores and apartment buildings. Also notably, covid first popped up in late december and by the end of the 3rd week in january they were in lockdown and building emergency hospitals from scratch in hubei. All things considered it was an exceptionally quick response. The idea that they took months to react is the stupidest poo poo ever

This is a surprisingly in depth and exhaustive timeline, the february and march ones are good, too
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_the_2019%E2%80%9320_coronavirus_pandemic_in_November_2019_%E2%80%93_January_2020

fwiw officials were definitely downplaying the situation in early january although its questionable whether or not this was a good or bad thing

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

TyrantWD posted:

It’s not that feasible in places like New York City where you are limited by what you can carry, and what you have room to store.

That sounds insane. I've been doing this in a city, living in an apartment and walking to the grocery store. If even one person in your household is physically able, you can do this, and if not, order delivery.

EDIT: I mean, if anything it's far, far more feasible in a city than in a suburban or rural area for someone without a car.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Apr 1, 2020

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Sampatrick posted:

fwiw officials were definitely downplaying the situation in early january although its questionable whether or not this was a good or bad thing

Yeah, and to their actual credit, about a week later they realized how completely hosed they were if they didn't do anything and they rolled out the full pandemic response playbook about a week later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Yeah, and to their actual credit, about a week later they realized how completely hosed they were if they didn't do anything and they rolled out the full pandemic response playbook about a week later.

Man, remember when Trump said we had 15 cases and it would be zero soon. Simpler times.

Someone should do something about this guy, he doesn't seem to know what he's doing.

I can't even imagine what 2 weeks from now is going to look like. Just pure loving hell.