Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

ChrisBTY posted:

My Most Shameful Wrestling Secret: I spent my whole life only watching major company US wrestling because 1) I'm a cheapass who has only watched free wrestling since I stopped getting PPVs when I was a teenager (until revolution) and 2) I find the language barrier inherit to lucha/NJPW almost insurmountable even with English commentary. I need to understand what the wrestlers are saying.

Chris Charleton is almost always at the English commentary desk in NJPW these days and provides on the fly translations for post-match promos, or any particularly loud mid-match exclamations (though those are typically not much more than, like, Ishii or Suzuki yelling something along the lines of "COME ON! IS THAT ALL YOU GOT!?" during strike exchanges). I'd say "you get used to it pretty quick" but I've been watching subtitled anime for over half my life so I suppose I'm already pretty accustomed to not directly understanding what people are saying in my chosen forms of entertainment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

I always liked Goldust.

Same, I was too young and naive to understand the negative parts of the character and thought he owned for using homophobia against people.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

TriffTshngo posted:

Chris Charleton is almost always at the English commentary desk in NJPW these days and provides on the fly translations for post-match promos, or any particularly loud mid-match exclamations (though those are typically not much more than, like, Ishii or Suzuki yelling something along the lines of "COME ON! IS THAT ALL YOU GOT!?" during strike exchanges). I'd say "you get used to it pretty quick" but I've been watching subtitled anime for over half my life so I suppose I'm already pretty accustomed to not directly understanding what people are saying in my chosen forms of entertainment.

If there is a G1 this year I will try to get NJPW world for it (I tried for Wrestle kingdom but it made my card ping for fraudulent charges and after that I didn't want to deal with it anymore).

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

OFFICER LIGER posted:

Everyone share your shameful wrestling confessions and admissions
I only use the Network to watch old WCW shows. I've never once used it to watch actual WWE wrestling product.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I'm taking advantage of these strange times to watch old WWF PPVs for free and I'm up to Wrestlemania VI. Obviously I had seen it before, but was there any backlash to Piper's blackface at the time? It's actually even worse than I remember it, complete with dancing and putting a rhinestone Michael Jackson glove on his "black" side midway through the match. I imagine Bad News Brown was loving livid.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Moe_Rahn posted:

I only use the Network to watch old WCW shows. I've never once used it to watch actual WWE wrestling product.

Watching actual current WWE wrestling product would really be the shameful bit

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Moe_Rahn posted:

This isn't remotely shameful. The archive is far and away the most interesting part of the Network and that'd be true even if the quality of current WWE programming wasn't as dull as it is.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

OFFICER LIGER posted:

Everyone share your shameful wrestling confessions and admissions

Here's mine: I liked big shows ecw title run. I thought he was booked as an effective monster and I looked forward to his matches to see who hed be booked against next
I don't think people even hated this at the time. Nobody's been able to light a fire under Paul Wight like Paul Heyman, and Big Show was working his rear end off, doing moves he hadn't done in years, and following through more on the ones he usually did.

As for mine, I think Christian is lightyears ahead of Edge as a performer and as a personality, which may not be super controversial, so let me add that Ric Flair absolutely sucked in WCW after returning to re-form the horsemen and it's painfully ironic that WWE of all places had to rehab him.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

so let me add that Ric Flair absolutely sucked in WCW after returning to re-form the horsemen and it's painfully ironic that WWE of all places had to rehab him.
Whatever you think...no, you’re an overbearing rear end in a top hat! That’s right! You’re obnoxious, you’re an obnoxious, overbearing rear end in a top hat! Abuse of power! You! Abuse of power! Cut me off! Come on! It’s called abuse of power!

[throws down jacket]

You suck! You, I hate your guts. I hate your guts. You are a liar, you’re a cheat, you’re a scam, you are a no good son of a bitch. Fire me? I’m already fired! Fire me! I’m already fired!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Moe_Rahn posted:

Whatever you think...no, you’re an overbearing rear end in a top hat! That’s right! You’re obnoxious, you’re an obnoxious, overbearing rear end in a top hat! Abuse of power! You! Abuse of power! Cut me off! Come on! It’s called abuse of power!

[throws down jacket]

You suck! You, I hate your guts. I hate your guts. You are a liar, you’re a cheat, you’re a scam, you are a no good son of a bitch. Fire me? I’m already fired! Fire me! I’m already fired!
That was awesome! It was everything after, and their complete failure to capitalize on it, as well as Ric's desire to be a heel, that absolutely sucked. He was President of WCW, but he thought he was President of the country, and he lost his mind and had to go to a mental hospital... his promos were the worst I've ever seen from him.

loving imagine if the Horseman reuniting was the key to finally rallying WCW and defeating the nWo.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

I think Christian is lightyears ahead of Edge as a performer and as a personality

I completely agree. Christian always had the funnier lines, the better comic timing, and most importantly, more freedom and willingness to look like a fool.

I will always remember his facial expressions standing next to Jericho during his and Jericho's fued with the Dudleys when Jericho said "You stole my ..... I mean Christian's rear end cream."

But I think a lot of why he got to be better than Edge is that Edge was always 'the guy' from their team in WWE's eyes. And so had to conform more to WWE's view of a main eventer. Christian was always seen as the midcard comedy act. Until he left for TNA and proved he could main event. Which led to a, in my opinion, fun feud with Randy upon his return where they traded the belt.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

I had some trouble thinking of any kind of "shameful" confession I could make because I'm mostly pretty unashamed about my opinions, but since it's kind of relevant again, I think enough people would disagree with this that it counts:

I had (and have) zero issues* with American Badass/Big Evil Undertaker. I started watching in 1998 and the transition to Bikertaker happened when I was 10 and I thought it was cool as hell. To this day I don't share the same awe or admiration for "the mystic aura of The Undertaker" or whatever that a lot of fans do, which make them all despise Bikertaker. He's just a wrestler with a cartoony 90s gimmick who was good enough to make it work and endure. I respect his work a ton and I'm not trying to diminish his place in the industry but I genuinely think his whole "legend" got kind of overblown over the years, as if he were actually a magical druid or something. If I were someone who could still stomach WWE I'd probably be legit enjoying him ditching the satan gear again for this AJ match, just because I'd been (partially ironically) going "BRING BACK BIKERTAKER" for a long time during the last few years of the Streak when I was last fully invested in the product.

*Please note this is all in reference to the character portrayed in-universe, not the actual man, Mark Calloway, who all signs point to being some form of neo-nazi, or at least nazi-adjacent.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
my shameful confession is I really liked the road dogg Jesse james when I was a kid. he danced and had cool braids and sang his theme song what's not to like

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

TriffTshngo posted:

I had (and have) zero issues* with American Badass/Big Evil Undertaker.

I think we must be around the same age, and I liked Bikertaker at the time too because he was a no-nonsense tough guy who could hit some cool power moves (also he had Limp Bizkit and a motorbike, as was the style at the time). Since then though, whenever I've gone back to watch his stuff, I've really not been into it at all. His promos are all lousy (which is not specific to the Bikertaker character, it's just that he was now talking more than before) and his standout skill is no-selling in the most painful ways possible, especially during the Invasion. I can sadly only think of 2-3 good Bikertaker singles matches: Triple H at Wrestlemania for sure, then some of the later ones with Brock and Big Show maybe?

I do remember enjoying his heel run though. I think the gimmick was better suited for that.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah I'm not, like, especially attached to many of his matches or promos from around that time, I just hear "bikertaker was a mistake" as one of the most widely agreed upon wrestling fan opinions, along with "the spinner belt was awful" and "booker t should have won at wm19" and I just never understood it.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I can sadly only think of 2-3 good Bikertaker singles matches: Triple H at Wrestlemania for sure, then some of the later ones with Brock and Big Show maybe?

the ladder match with Jeff Hardy

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

BrigadierSensible posted:

I completely agree. Christian always had the funnier lines, the better comic timing, and most importantly, more freedom and willingness to look like a fool.

I will always remember his facial expressions standing next to Jericho during his and Jericho's fued with the Dudleys when Jericho said "You stole my ..... I mean Christian's rear end cream."

But I think a lot of why he got to be better than Edge is that Edge was always 'the guy' from their team in WWE's eyes. And so had to conform more to WWE's view of a main eventer. Christian was always seen as the midcard comedy act. Until he left for TNA and proved he could main event. Which led to a, in my opinion, fun feud with Randy upon his return where they traded the belt.

One of the few things I'd give Edge over Christian is I guess intensity? Edge could convey that he really was that hosed up of a person, and that he was serious without it coming off hokey. I'm specifically thinking of his "I hate you John" promo.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Pope Corky the IX posted:

One of the few things I'd give Edge over Christian is I guess intensity? Edge could convey that he really was that hosed up of a person, and that he was serious without it coming off hokey. I'm specifically thinking of his "I hate you John" promo.

EDIT: It's also bizarre that Christian seemingly decided to retire around the same time as Edge when, as far as I know, he's pretty healthy.

EDIT 2.0: For some reason editing my post turned into quoting it instead.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

EDIT: It's also bizarre that Christian seemingly decided to retire around the same time as Edge when, as far as I know, he's pretty healthy.

I believe he had longstanding concussion issues that meant he basically had no choice but to retire?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Christian was starting to get hurt a whole lot there towards the end

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Julio Cruz posted:

Good shout!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Ah, I was unaware he had become injury-prone later on, especially because he was considered one of the safest workers.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I thought any time he tried to do his "unhinged" shtick it came off as incredibly silly. I never bought his "intensity".

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

I didn’t despise Bikertaker nearly as much as I despised Limp Bizkit and Kid Rock.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Somehow, You're Gonna Pay is a far worse theme than anything Limp Bizkit or Kid Rock could ever come up with.

badasses always kicking rear end in a top hat's rear end

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Doc M posted:

Somehow, You're Gonna Pay is a far worse theme than anything Limp Bizkit or Kid Rock could ever come up with.

Taker had that theme during the time I wasn't watching, and it took a while for people to convince me that those were the actual loving lyrics.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Christian's in-ring career technically lasted three years longer than Edge's (Edge retired right after WM in 2011, Christian's last match was right before WM in 2014) but in that three years he was injured off the road

November 9, 2011 - February 19, 2012 (Ankle injury)
March 26, 2012 - May 20, 2012 (??)
July 23, 2012 - June 17, 2013 (neck injury)
August 26, 2013 - January 28, 2014 (??)
March 24, 2014 - present (retired with no formal announcement)

He was definitely getting into "injured more than healthy" territory in that time, so it's especially easy to forget it was a three year span. His last match in fact was defeating ADR, Sheamus, and Ziggler in a #1 Contender's Match that went nowhere because Christian got concussed in it. Thanks Sheamus!

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Am I remembering wrong, or wasn’t it not even Christian’s decision to retire? WWE just stopped booking him and started treating him as retired.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Julio Cruz posted:

MAKE YOURSELF FAMOUS, KID

god drat i remember i was still watching at that time and that had me so psyched.

thats a question: what are yr favorite play by play calls. its probably been asked but i dont care this is quarantine rules baby.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

shiksa posted:

god drat i remember i was still watching at that time and that had me so psyched.

thats a question: what are yr favorite play by play calls. its probably been asked but i dont care this is quarantine rules baby.

"As god as my witness, he is broken in half!" is overplayed.
"How in the hell is he standing...Are you kidding me? He wants to go back up! Mankind is going back up!" shortly thereafter is the superior call.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

shiksa posted:

"Hurrah! Another year! Surely this one will be better than the last! The inexorable march of progress.... will lead us all.... *Ishii submits* ...to happiness!" *bell rings*

Maybe I could think of a better one if I scoured my memory for the next hour (since it's technically just calling the name of a move) but that's the one that comes to mind first these days.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Doc M posted:

I remember the instrumental version he had as a heel being okay. It was a nice change of pace after Rollin' anyway.

Re favourite calls: I like Heyman during the main event of King of the Ring 2001. "The WCW Champion has just attacked the WWF Champion!!!". It could've been so good. :sigh:

IronCladBurrito
Aug 11, 2002

Excuse me, is this where the bitches are found?

Julio Cruz posted:

That was a good match. It also started this crazy run where Jeff fought for just about every title on Raw -- in 6 weeks he had matches where he won, defended, or fought for 5 different titles (Undisputed World, European, Intercontinental, Tag, and Hardcore).

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

TriffTshngo posted:

I had some trouble thinking of any kind of "shameful" confession I could make because I'm mostly pretty unashamed about my opinions, but since it's kind of relevant again, I think enough people would disagree with this that it counts:

I had (and have) zero issues* with American Badass/Big Evil Undertaker. I started watching in 1998 and the transition to Bikertaker happened when I was 10 and I thought it was cool as hell. To this day I don't share the same awe or admiration for "the mystic aura of The Undertaker" or whatever that a lot of fans do, which make them all despise Bikertaker. He's just a wrestler with a cartoony 90s gimmick who was good enough to make it work and endure. I respect his work a ton and I'm not trying to diminish his place in the industry but I genuinely think his whole "legend" got kind of overblown over the years, as if he were actually a magical druid or something. If I were someone who could still stomach WWE I'd probably be legit enjoying him ditching the satan gear again for this AJ match, just because I'd been (partially ironically) going "BRING BACK BIKERTAKER" for a long time during the last few years of the Streak when I was last fully invested in the product.

*Please note this is all in reference to the character portrayed in-universe, not the actual man, Mark Calloway, who all signs point to being some form of neo-nazi, or at least nazi-adjacent.

I actually preferred BikerTaker but mainly because I just never like Undertaker and always found his act silly. So like when he was just what he was I was kinda like "ok, at least now he doesn't look actively silly." And like he started wrestling a different style going more into his pseudo MMA stuff and just some old school brawling than the mystical monster WWE main eventer stuff which was at least something different and potentially worth watching to me.

So I guess "I always thought the Undertaker was lame and for a time was one of the big things actively keeping me from wrestling" is my shameful confession.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Doc M posted:

I am thankful I had stopped watching by this point.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I remember the instrumental version he had as a heel being okay. It was a nice change of pace after Rollin' anyway.
Yeah, that one is good. Instead of idiotic lyrics seemingly taken straight from the back of a t-shirt you'd see some boomer chud wear at Wal-Mart, you just have some cool guitar shredding and it's so much better.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I have questions about how the WWE writing room works:

Do specific writers write for specific wrestlers? Are there the writers who write the storylines, and different writers who write the promos? How many of them are there? Do they all sit in a room and bounce ideas off each other, or do they all write separately?

Do they get paid depending on how much of what they write gets on TV, or are they paid a flat rate? Do they have to fly to each Raw/Smackdown taping? Do they pay for it, (and accommodation etc.) themselves or is it paid for by the company?

We hear stories of wrestlers who didn't like Vince's re-writes confronting/trying to argue with him to get it changed. Are there stories of writers doing the same thing to defend their own work?

I know these are all moot, because the real answer is "Vince decides 5 minutes before airtime that he wants a particular wrestler to say Poop, because it's funny, so changes the entire show.", but the whole thing around writing for WWE fascinates me. For example the way that if one writer plans a storyline that would last, say 3 weeks, but gets fired 1 week in due to the horrendous turnover, the new guy and those left immediately drop that storyline for fear of being associated with the fired dude, and this fucks the wrestler/s over for no fault of their own, and in fact they get hosed for trying to follow directions.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I don't know if there are answers to some of that but I'm pretty sure the writers get treated a lot better than talent in terms of what is taken care of (travel) since they aren't independent contractors and they might be in the writers guild. If this is wrong pretend like i didn't even post. Don't call me out for being wrong. I don't like it

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
there's famously a story of vince hiring a writer from hollywood to try to improve stuff/add legitimacy & when they came in they asked to see the character bible or anything else they were doing to track long-term storytelling

and they were laughed at and let go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
The job's more secure but Vince, and the other McMahons, are still hard to work with from what I was on some writer's interviews.