Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

Chadzok posted:

all the more devastating that he had to leave without her.
I can kind of see it, at the end of BB he leaves her because Saul is a coward, at the end of BCS he leaves her again because Gene is a changed man and doesn't want to ruin her peace, but eh... comes off like a really forced retcon.

lurker2006 fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Apr 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Chadzok posted:

It's possible that when he's watching the Saul tapes what he is remembering is him and Kim on top of the world together. The colour stripped out of the flashforwards is him having to be apart from her.

There is one bit of color in the flash forward for 101:

At the time I interpreted it a bit literally as rose-tinted glasses, but Gene looking to the past with genuine fondness and nostalgia would be better, if retcon'd by necessity of the rest of the plot not existing at the time.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

lurker2006 posted:

I can kind of see it, at the end of BB he leaves her because Saul is a coward, at the end of BCS he leaves her again because Gene is a changed man and doesn't want to ruin her peace, but eh... comes off like a really forced retcon.

Maybe something happens that makes him understand that if he's going to roam in these circles then Kim has to remain completely unseen and unmentioned to keep her safe. I've been rewatching Saul scenes and I've not seen anything yet that completely rules it out.

Other than his occasional flirtations but for me that remains the only standout weirdness in his Breaking Bad character and where he is now. It's going to be tough for them to steer around the fact that his character wasn't fully fleshed out in that first appearance. Maybe it could be explained as an intentional put-on for misdirection? I can picture a throwaway line like "I'll hit on Francesca, no one will think that I'm married."

Sorry about the fan fiction.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
So the season finale is titled "Something Unforgivable". I noticed its the third "Something" title, 4x03 was "Something Beautiful" and 4x07 was "Something Stupid". I feel like the three will go together in some was as a trilogy about Jimmy and Kim.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Saul was heavily implied to be regularly employing the services of sex workers, so that's more than occasional flirtations. That could just mean that he really became more of an rear end in a top hat and was doing that behind Kim's back, technically.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I hold out hope that Kim could be secretly in the background of BB the entire time, but guys who are skeezy are often still married, so it doesn't click to me that it would project "Oh this guy is single."

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I don’t put much stock into most things Saul said in Breaking Bad because a lot of the time it felt like he was putting on a sell to ease everyone into working with him.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

if they're still together in BB it'll be a stupid cheap retcon and i'll eat my hat if they do it because vince & co are better than that

also i can't see kim being okay with the poo poo he's doing in BB without a whole extra series worth of character development for her, and they just spent several seasons giving jimmy that exact arc

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
We aren't shown any of Saul's personal life in BB, likely because he's never a proper main character, but I don't think there's anything in the show that proves he ain't married.

Gus wheels out a whole fake family man image to keep Walt on board, I wouldn't really put it past Saul to be extra creepy and make sure to have a prostitute walk out of his office on occasion whenever someone who's a desert bag risk is coming around. We already saw him hiring clients to harass Howard.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

no there's nothing that technically proves he's single but it's never remotely hinted he's in any sort of committed relationship and it'd be dumb as hell

plus the narrative strongly feels to me like it's building towards a separation of some sort, to the point it'd feel like a cheap misdirection to have them stay together. maybe vince will blow my mind and do it and somehow make it good in which case bravo to him but i really can't see it happening

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Apr 2, 2020

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I've been expecting Kim to get disgusted with Jimmy and leave him forever for like three seasons now. The series' big gimmick now appears to be "she's fine with it actually, WHAT A TWIST".

Which in retrospect makes sense because it's a TV show and you don't just write out your leading lady in season 3 and then do three more seasons. Purely from a cynical "reading the Variety casting pages" standpoint you can presume that Kim will be there for the long haul, which is a little bit disappointing storytelling-wise. Like in The Blacklist I was pretty fuckin sure they didn't just kill off Elizabeth Keen at the end of S4 or whatever, she's the goddamn star. Then in S5, LO AND BEHOLD WELP

But now that it's been well established that she's every bit as conniving as Jimmy is, only she gets off more on the "buttoned-down, well-groomed viper in the nest" role she gets to play, it means her inevitable end of the story is going to be a lot more of a cataclysmic upset than if it was simply the "she gets fed up and leaves" I was expecting years ago. I just hope the writers are able to pull it together and make it feel organic and natural and, well, surprising, which if they pull it off they'll have done it better than BSG and Lost and a ton of other prestige dramas that lost the plot toward the end because they couldn't break away from the "studio rules say we have to give actor X so many hours of screen time this season" type stuff.

e: but they did write out Michael McKean so hell if I know, hope it wasn't just "a budget thing"

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Apr 2, 2020

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

There is at least a single scene of Saul being a creep without an audience, right about when he is kidnapped by Walt and Jesse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8R_7L8h0Cc&t=36s

Him acting that way towards Francesca (who knows Kim) would be weird if he was married. Ofc they might just pretend this scene didn't happen.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I would watch the gently caress out of a Kim-in-present-time spin-off, so if she survives (which I think is likely), it's possible. Though I know Vince said that he's kind of done with the BB/BCS world, which is a shame but understandable.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I would watch the gently caress out of a Kim-in-present-time spin-off, so if she survives (which I think is likely), it's possible. Though I know Vince said that he's kind of done with the BB/BCS world, which is a shame but understandable.
As much as I love the world, better to not make it overstay its welcome.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
actually they should do a wet hot american summer thing and have Jimmy do a couple seasons of his antics during his 20s

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

As much as I love the world, better to not make it overstay its welcome.

Yeah, I know. I guess I'm just thinking of what could make the best spin-off, and for me, it'd be something about Kim or Nacho.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I like Kim but that sounds god awful.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Wafflecopper posted:

it's been really dumb since at least season 2. i had fun hate watching for a while but it reached a point where even that wasn't worth it any more.

TWD is terrible if you try to watch it week to week when it's airing. I still enjoy watching TWD once a year when Netflix puts up the previous season and it can be binge watched in a week or two. It's not nearly as good as BCS is, but not much on TV is.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
I have completely given up trying to predict what happens with Jimmy and Kim. This poo poo has been near Tiger King levels of catching me off guard over and over.

Mike's plot this season has been pretty straightforward and predictable but it's the most compelling that side of things has been since probably season 1, so I don't care

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
This was probably the best episode yet, or at least the best one since we lost Chuck. Of all the great stuff in here, just because it was the last thing we saw, I must say I loved Howard's confrontation with Jimmy.

One thing I like is we are seeing Mike crystallize into his Breaking Bad character. It's like a switch has been flipped.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I'm a huge fan of the cinematography in this show, but I thought this was kind of lame. JIMMY IS TWO-FACED! DO YOU GET IT?? DO YOU GET THE SYMBOLISM??

I agree, it does make for a hilarious still shot though. They're leaning hard into this obvious symbolism like we saw with this promo shot:

Voxx posted:

Where the spicy curly fries at

Arby's is as close as this gets irl. They aren't spicy per se, but the MSG-heavy seasoning gives them a good kick. Even if you don't care for five Junior Roast Beefs loaded with Horsey Sauce, you have to concede the fries are incredible.

Harold Stassen fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 2, 2020

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

This was probably the best episode yet, or at least the best one since we lost Chuck. Of all the great stuff in here, just because it was the last thing we saw, I must say I loved Howard's confrontation with Jimmy.

I agree, it does make for a hilarious still shot though. They're leaning hard into this obvious symbolism like we saw with this promo shot:

Arby's is as close as this gets irl. They aren't spicy per se, but the MSG-heavy seasoning gives them a good kick. Even if you don't care for five Junior Roast Beefs loaded with Horsey Sauce, you have to concede the fries are incredible.

some stores also have store brand curly fries in the potato aisle

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

galenanorth posted:

some stores also have store brand curly fries in the potato aisle

BUT- and this is the same thing wrt Taco Time "Mexi-Fries" vs. storebought tater tots- the proprietary seasoning is what transforms it.

e: and deep frying at the establishment vs baking as most do with frozen potato at home

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019
Wish they'd focus a little more on Nacho, been weird that he's disappeared for multiple episodes in a row this season, he's the only one in the B plot that has much room to grow.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Wafflecopper posted:

no there's nothing that technically proves he's single but it's never remotely hinted he's in any sort of committed relationship and it'd be dumb as hell

plus the narrative strongly feels to me like it's building towards a separation of some sort, to the point it'd feel like a cheap misdirection to have them stay together. maybe vince will blow my mind and do it and somehow make it good in which case bravo to him but i really can't see it happening

Kim and Jimmy have got to break up because the narrative has got to be leading towards some kind of climax. I don't just see it rolling over into BB timeline without anything significant happening that marks the end of this story and chapter of Jimmys life.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

moist turtleneck posted:

actually they should do a wet hot american summer thing and have Jimmy do a couple seasons of his antics during his 20s

Making a prequel show to a prequel show would be a bold move, I like your style

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I take it it’s a given that 20-year-old Jimmy will be played by Bob Odenkirk in a series of progressively cheaper wigs?

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
I'm rewatching Season 3. In Ep 4, the first time we see Gus outside his restaurant is when he's making a charity donation to the fire department, he tells them "I hope to never need your services."

THIS SHOW.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I take it it’s a given that 20-year-old Jimmy will be played by Bob Odenkirk in a series of progressively cheaper wigs?

Since he already was supposed to be late 20s in that prison scene with the backwards cap, why the hell not.

"What's up, fellow kids?"

edit: granted, that scene was shot like 5 years ago at this point too.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
How does bail work in New Mexico? In Louisiana you only have to pay 10% if it’s a cash bond....

So if the judge (here anyway) set bond at 7 million, a defendant could get out by posting 700,000 in cash, or signing over property (houses, real estate, etc) worth the full 7 million. If the defendant doesn’t show up to court at the next date they forfeit whatever they posted.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Between not knowing how or why private citizens might set off an explosive fire by making an honest american attempt at deep frying a bird, and labeling Arby's as the place to go for spicy curly fries, I'm glad to confirm that no one else who watches this show is actually from the southwest.

Next we'll be back to "why do they wear jackets in the desert? Are they not hot?"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I always got homesick for El Pollo Loco when they mentioned Los Pollos Hermanos

lo carb Lo Pan
Oct 8, 2004

Data Graham posted:

I always got homesick for El Pollo Loco when they mentioned Los Pollos Hermanos

Same, but for El Pollo Regio.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
More like Los Pollos Germanos

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Between not knowing how or why private citizens might set off an explosive fire by making an honest american attempt at deep frying a bird, and labeling Arby's as the place to go for spicy curly fries, I'm glad to confirm that no one else who watches this show is actually from the southwest.

Next we'll be back to "why do they wear jackets in the desert? Are they not hot?"

Why do they wear jackets in the desert? Are they not hot?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

no humidity

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

msg does not have capsaicin what's going on here

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

labeling Arby's as the place to go for spicy curly fries

the jury's still out

Voxx posted:

Where the spicy curly fries at

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

u brexit ukip it posted:

More like Los Pollos Germanos

Deutsche, deutsche! ¡Vaya con dios amigos!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GoPmnb8iKc

e:

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Why do they wear jackets in the desert? Are they not hot?

Just in case this is legit: desert climates get hot during the day, but as soon as the sun goes down they can get very cold very quickly. Also the time of year being depicted in the show and the time of year they are actually shooting it are often not the same, so you can have actors dressed for summer running around in cold weather and vice versa.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 3, 2020

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Takes No Damage posted:

Deutsche, deutsche! ¡Vaya con dios amigos!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GoPmnb8iKc

e:

Just in case this is legit: desert climates get hot during the day, but as soon as the sun goes down they can get very cold very quickly. Also the time of year being depicted in the show and the time of year they are actually shooting it are often not the same, so you can have actors dressed for summer running around in cold weather and vice versa.

I'm from eastern Canada, and would like to know what constitutes as 'very cold'. Celsius or Fahrenheit, your choice.

But seriously, how cold is cold?

Edit: wow, poo poo -12C. Not bad, NM... not bad.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Apr 3, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Also the southwest in general and New Mexico's cities especially are pretty high in altitude. It doesn't snow much except for in the mountains, but it gets fairly cold in winter and that's when BB and BCS film. Especially with the wind, you absolutely don't want to be standing around in the open and not be bundled up.

Like I moved from a city portrayed in BCS to ON and QC and didn't change my winter wardrobe at all beyond waterproofing my boots. The coldest days are colder and winter lasts longer but it's mostly the same. When I lived in Toulouse I had to actually start dressing for a warm climate and that was much more different.

e: wow I was perfectly sniped.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Jacket/meteorology mistakes.