Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
From what I gathered over the years, a lot of the writers are Hollywood types who usually work on soap operas and late-night shows, and mostly just use WWE as a transition gig in between "real writing jobs." So there is insanely high turnover even if you discount the Vince factor and the horror stories. Very few people take those jobs because they are genuinely invested in the WWE product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Real writers see wwe as a joke and laugh at pro wrestling so when they slum it and take a job there and try to apply actual Hollywood practices, WWE laughs at them so it all evens out

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

I don't think people even hated this at the time. Nobody's been able to light a fire under Paul Wight like Paul Heyman, and Big Show was working his rear end off, doing moves he hadn't done in years, and following through more on the ones he usually did.

As for mine, I think Christian is lightyears ahead of Edge as a performer and as a personality, which may not be super controversial, so let me add that Ric Flair absolutely sucked in WCW after returning to re-form the horsemen and it's painfully ironic that WWE of all places had to rehab him.

I definitely hated it outside of the Flair match. Show's health was really bad and he'd wanted to take time off for months, but they kept sending him out there despite being immobile and in terrible shape.

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

Wasn't there actually a writer in WWE years ago that kept close track of all the storylines and character stuff he worked on, and was routinely roundly mocked in the writers room for it? I seem to recall hearing something about Stephanie McMahon being especially derisive, but I might have mixed stories together or something on that.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Ivypls posted:

Wasn't there actually a writer in WWE years ago that kept close track of all the storylines and character stuff he worked on, and was routinely roundly mocked in the writers room for it? I seem to recall hearing something about Stephanie McMahon being especially derisive, but I might have mixed stories together or something on that.

Chris Kreski. Head writer from October 1999 to November 2000. Storyboarded events, tried to push long term storytelling, cared about continuity. Forced out by Stephanie who replaced him.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Somebody please explain Lex Luger’s career trajectory to me. He seems like the prototypical WWE guy (giant muscle man etc) yet he came from the Crockett/NWA promotions and while he worked for WWE for a bit he never won a single title there. Seems very odd.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

For some reason bookers *really* liked having Lex almost kinda sorta win the big one, the crowd would be super into him, and then he'd never actually win the belt. Or at least not until all the momentum was dead.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

DeathChicken posted:

For some reason bookers *really* liked having Lex almost kinda sorta win the big one, the crowd would be super into him, and then he'd never actually win the belt. Or at least not until all the momentum was dead.

Then Lex would realize the bookers don't like him, so he'd stop caring about busting his rear end for a company that doesn't like him, and bookers would be shocked that the guy they screwed with isn't working hard for them.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Benne posted:

Very few people take those jobs because they are genuinely invested in the WWE product.

There's also the story that WWE actually wants people who aren't wrestling fans to write for them.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

lex luger was the same thing as when you would see a third party video game controller on sale for cheaper than the official ones, and it looked cooler, but then you got it home and tried to use it and the buttons felt really weird and mushy and eventually one of the plastic triggers snapped and fell inside of the controller shell.

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

Lamuella posted:

Chris Kreski. Head writer from October 1999 to November 2000. Storyboarded events, tried to push long term storytelling, cared about continuity. Forced out by Stephanie who replaced him.

Right! Chris Kreski. It really is funny how much they balked at his methods when they try so hard now to distance themselves from professional wrestling culture and try to fashion themselves as an 'entertainment' entity.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
MadCatz Hulk Hogan

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Davros1 posted:

There's also the story that WWE actually wants people who aren't wrestling fans to write for them.

I mean, in theory this could be a good idea.

New and different ways of storytelling, won't play favorites with people they are/were a fan of, a new perspective on the industry etc.

But of course practice is far from theory, and instead we get failed screenwriters baffled when a physical performer can't memorize their exact words of genius and/or recite them "properly".

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

WWE wants the prestige of having "good" writers but they don't listen to any of their ideas, routinely jerk them around at all hours day and night on Vince's maniacal whims, and let them go when they need a scapegoat for an angle not working that they had no input on.

And if they luck into a fan of the product they just call them marks and humiliate them or make them big fat oiled up joke characters on screen or whatever.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Pelican Hulk Hogan

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I think this is a good time to remind people that AEW's creative process is "we have a small group of producers/consultants who collaborate with the wrestlers and help them flesh out their ideas, maybe script their promos if they need help with it, but a lot of stuff you see on TV comes straight from the wrestlers because we encourage them to express themselves in their own unique ways to come off as unique stars."

Much like everything else in US wrestling, promo scripting is only a problem because WWE made it a problem.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
There's also the story of Stephanie firing Patrice O'Neal as a writer after a couple weeks. She apparently got pissed that he basically laughed it off so she called him at home to make sure he knew he had been fired.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Benne posted:

I think this is a good time to remind people that AEW's creative process is "we have a small group of producers/consultants who collaborate with the wrestlers and help them flesh out their ideas, maybe script their promos if they need help with it, but a lot of stuff you see on TV comes straight from the wrestlers because we encourage them to express themselves in their own unique ways to come off as unique stars."

Much like everything else in US wrestling, promo scripting is only a problem because WWE made it a problem.

And that’s why AEW is what I watch and financially support, and WWE is not.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Pope Corky the IX posted:

There's also the story of Stephanie firing Patrice O'Neal as a writer after a couple weeks. She apparently got pissed that he basically laughed it off so she called him at home to make sure he knew he had been fired.
WWE hates the idea of hiring people who don’t *need* them. You can tell from how many stories they write about “superstars” who cry and poo poo their pants about their kids college funds when they get fired in storyline.

Apart from the odd exception like Brock I guess but that’s more of a specific muscly bear findom fetish Vince has

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I know I've told this story before, but this time I'm hoping someone knows what I'm talking about: I seem to remember that at one point WWE was in talks to get a fairly well-known writer on board, and he plotted up flowcharts keeping track of the wrestlers' relationships with each other--rivalries, who'd gotten the better of who, etc. so that angles would make sense. And the higher-ups laughed it off, and he backed out when it was made plain that he'd have no real creative control.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I'd imagine writing for wrestling is right below writing for soap operas in prestige so honestly I'd be surprised if any writer cares about their ideas being steamrolled.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

I know I've told this story before, but this time I'm hoping someone knows what I'm talking about : I seem to remember that at one point WWE was in talks to get a fairly well-known writer on board, and he plotted up flowcharts keeping track of the wrestlers' relationships with each other--rivalries, who'd gotten the better of who, etc. so that angles would make sense. And the higher-ups laughed it off, and he backed out when it was made plain that he'd have no real creative control.

I heard a similar story, only the one I heard was about a "proper" writer who once he was in the tried to storyboard feuds and storylines, (very simply, as in first he does this, then he does that back, and this makes the first guy feel angry and betrayed etc.), and he was laughed at, specifically by Stephanie.

But I could be half-remembering.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Those were both kreski

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I'd imagine writing for wrestling is right below writing for soap operas in prestige so honestly I'd be surprised if any writer cares about their ideas being steamrolled.
On paper, being the creative director of a company that does hundreds of millions in revenue and puts on several hours of TV every week should be an exciting prospect.

OFFICER LIGER posted:

Those were both kreski
Thanks!

bartok
May 10, 2006

Ivypls posted:

Right! Chris Kreski. It really is funny how much they balked at his methods when they try so hard now to distance themselves from professional wrestling culture and try to fashion themselves as an 'entertainment' entity.

I love how in WWE's revisionist history they have recently gone out of their way to downplay Chris Kreski's importance during the post-Russo Attitude Era. Helps that Kreski passed away from cancer in 2005 so he can't give his side of the story.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Yes, of course...... “Cancer”

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

oldpainless posted:

Yes, of course...... “Cancer”

pretend I posted a pic of rikishi looking out the car window

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Which reminds me of the story of Vince challenging Dave Lagana to an impromptu drag race down the highway. Lagana was winning, so Vince tried to run him off the road to his death

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
have we ever heard anything about why the AEW/AAA partnership seems to have stalled? i've never understood why we don't get AAA guys on Dynamite. they have a lot of fun talent with significant television experience (Demon Jr, Aero Star, Psycho Clown, Big Mami) and the So-Cal indie style of AEW meshes well with lucha.

its too bad he left because I would love a big Wagner Jr. match in AEW

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

it didn't stall so much as aew got what they wanted from it (the lucha bros). in exchange kenny defends the belt every couple of months to establish it as a workrate title. maybe there will be more down the line but tv time is already at a premium

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

it didn't stall so much as aew got what they wanted from it (the lucha bros). in exchange kenny defends the belt every couple of months to establish it as a workrate title. maybe there will be more down the line but tv time is already at a premium

I have to think immigration being, uh, altered and COVID certainly play a role

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The point about the roster is true though. In a world where everything gets back to normal I'd love to see AEW working with AAA or NJPW or whoever to bring in people for special events or individual programs but I wouldn't want them bringing in a bunch of talent that would just cause the AEW talent already competing for time to fall further down the ladder. AEW's got a great young core of future stars, a bunch of potential main eventers not in the main event, a thriving tag division, and ideally a functioning woman's division. It doesn't actually need an influx of talent from AAA and that could be counter productive.

Its why I loved TNA's World X Cup. Doing something that showcased talent from other promotions/countries against your own in special events would be fun and wouldn't take away from the overall roster management.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I want to say both Joe Lanza and Meltzer have suggested the best use of any sort of AEW partnerships would be to run an old-school super show event every so often (as in maybe a couple of years apart to maintain the specialness), and they’re honestly probably right on that account.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Completely unrelated, and possibly stupid, thought:

Given how many ex-wrestlers become commentators, (Ventura, Heenan, Graves, Zybysko, Taz, Excalibur etc.), to various degrees of success.

Of current wrestlers, who do people think would make good commentators post retirement? Would they be able to use their wrestling characters/personae, or would they change? Or maybe use their real life personalities?

I would posit Cody Rhodes, Big E, MJF as obvious ones. A left field option would be Zack Ryder. I reckon his boyish enthusiasm, and obvious charisma would go well as a babyface colour commentator.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

BrigadierSensible posted:

Given how many ex-wrestlers become commentators, (Ventura, Heenan, Graves, Zybysko, Taz, Excalibur etc.), to various degrees of success.

Of current wrestlers, who do people think would make good commentators post retirement? Would they be able to use their wrestling characters/personae, or would they change? Or maybe use their real life personalities?

I would posit Cody Rhodes, Big E, MJF as obvious ones. A left field option would be Zack Ryder. I reckon his boyish enthusiasm, and obvious charisma would go well as a babyface colour commentator.

Chuck Taylor.

Chris Hero.

Samoa Joe.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

If they work for Vince? None of them.

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing

Nick Gage, Joey Janela

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
It feels like cheating since they're still active wrestlers, but Rocky Romero and Colt Cabana are really good on commentary

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Xavier Woods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Chuckie T and Chase Owens are great fun on commentary, i've no doubt they'd still be post retirement