Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MH Knights posted:

They would have been just as pissed if they had kept the mini skirt but had Jill wear something like "biking shorts" underneath or altered camera angles so that upskirts were impossible. In fact aren't "biking shorts" or what ever you want to call them what Tifa got in the FFVII remake?

Yes, and they were in face verklempt over it. I'm not sure if they complained about Jill's cup size like they did Tifa's, which was a great way to be seen for never having actually seen a woman's chest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

No yeah they're not horny at all it's totally that they're just mad because it altered the original artistic intent.
Never mind that the original Resident Evil 3 had fixed overhead camera angles, which meant that you couldn't look up Jill's skirt in the original, so actually letting the player perv on Jill and see her panties whenever they want by moving the camera a bit would be a change from the original artistic intent. that's not important here

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

What next? Riots because Jill's shoulderpads on her STARS outfit aren't 2ft wide anymore?
Hilariously wide shoulder pads for women are a legit 90s thing, tho. My verisimilitude!

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

What next? Riots because Jill's shoulderpads on her STARS outfit aren't 2ft wide anymore?

yes, ngl. they should be bigger!

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Resident Evil Megathread 2: R3make is too skort.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

NonzeroCircle posted:

Resident Evil Megathread 2: R3make is too skort.

Perfect

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

0 rows returned posted:

something that really sticks out to me is how much it heavily leans on your knowledge of the original, from the nonsequitur character appearances, to even how since theres no intro movie showing the rpd getting mowed down and the ubcs operation ultimately going to poo poo so when carlos and mikhail show up its like "oh we've been here all along and you just missed us"
That intro movie tells you that the cops couldn't stop it, and neither could the military dudes. It's basically "poo poo's hosed - the intro", but that's pretty clear when Jill leaves her apartment and the streets are overrun by zombies. I never really felt like it served as an introduction to the UBCS.

E: That said, I don't think it'd have been a bad idea to have a segment where Jill actually gets some people to the subway. Nemesis coming in and loving everyone up would be more effective if you actually had any interactions with the civilians too. This would also be a chance to include the little story of UBCS dude failing to protect civilians from the clock tower, which I felt did a lot to characterize them as more than just gruff soldiers.

0 rows returned posted:

also the intro makes jill come off as hilariously unaware since if you walk near the window of her apartment she comments on the sirens like "huh i wonder whats going on"

Wanderer posted:

She's a PTSD mess with a conspiracy-theory wall and a rainbow of pills on her nightstand. I can just about buy that she hasn't been outside her apartment in a while.
I think they've actually done a lot to done a lot to clean up the weirdness around Jill not realizing poo poo was going down. She has goons watching her apartment and likely tapping her phones, hence the pizza message, and isn't her TV malfunctioning? She's basically cut off from the outside world, and when she entered her apartment for the last time things were fine-ish. Sure, the hospital was slowly being overwhelmed by "cannibal disease" patients, but they had them restrained, and they were coming in in (more and more rapid) drips. She didn't have much reason to think it'd explode like it did, and she had other poo poo on her mind, like unraveling the conspiracy while under the time pressure of possibly having been infected by the T-virus. Also, like Wanderer said, she was popping pills and not sleeping well, which probably didn't do wonders.

Aside from why Jill might not have been that attentive, there is also the fact that the game has added an accelerant to the outbreak: Nikolai was deliberately causing the outbreak to explode from the moment he entered the city, herding zombies towards high numbers of civilians, on top of the poo poo he did to the UBCS members. If you combine that with the outbreak going from stage 1 "Cops restrain (not completely zombified) cannibal disease patients" where the spread was probably pretty slow, to stage 2 "Cannibal disease patients turn into zombies, then turn everyone they can get their teeth into into zombies" while Jill is sleeping then it makes sense how it could explode on her like that.

thebardyspoon posted:

End of the game stuff Nikolai not getting horribly killed kind of annoyed me and then the weird gunfight and reverse hostage taking thing at the end felt kind of lame. Glad the railgun was still in but wish it had been in a room with a bunch of tyrants and dead marines, always loved that weird detail at the end of RE3 but not that important ultimately. I think one more area near the end similar in length to the hospital that wasn't a lab or a sewer would have greatly improved the game.
When they started talking about the government not bombing the city if they got the vaccine, I figured the dead soldiers and tyrants would be the result of the government sending them in to pick up Jill and the vaccine. Obviously the bombing was always gonna happen, but it'd make sense. As for the second part, yeah. I think it's a real pity they didn't expand the park into a proper area. That said, I am very pleased that the city was nuked, not destroyed by conventional weapons or weird magic missiles. I am not pleased however that Barry did not show up to fly Jill to safety.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 3, 2020

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014
I bet I could've beat RE3 in the time I've spent in queues for REsistance

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Tho you'd think as soon as Jill heard the word "cannibal" on the news she'd instantly know what was up and start getting out of dodge

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Man, that mouth-rape thing the insect people is seriously uncomfortable. Like, I'm legitimately not okay with that.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

CharlestonJew posted:

Tho you'd think as soon as Jill heard the word "cannibal" on the news she'd instantly know what was up and start getting out of dodge

She actually did spend a lot of time after that getting out of dodge, but she had a hard time with the timing and kept getting clipped by Nemesis at the end of it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

Man, that mouth-rape thing the insect people is seriously uncomfortable. Like, I'm legitimately not okay with that.

It's not particularly more violent/excessive than some other attacks (and especially deaths) in RE but it is pretty surprising it's in a completely unavoidable way which RE usually avoids.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

It's not particularly more violent/excessive than some other attacks (and especially deaths) in RE but it is pretty surprising it's in a completely unavoidable way which RE usually avoids.
Yeah, but there's still a lot of really unpleasant subtext to a monster in a horror game straddling a young woman and shoving a big, pulsating ovipositor down her throat.

That it comes with an insta-kill attack that you need to heal or unavoidably die from it just adds insult to injury.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

It reminds me a lot of Kenji Eno's D2, and it makes me miss Eno's brand of off-kilter horror.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Cardiovorax posted:

I remember D2 had something similar happen in a cutscene and in the US version they shifted the camera up slightly to obscure it.

EDIT:

Policenaut posted:

It reminds me a lot of Kenji Eno's D2, and it makes me miss Eno's brand of off-kilter horror.

COMRADE. :hfive:

I mean this stuff "happened" in RE all the time but it was usually on the edges in files or mentioned tangentially in a cutscene so it is pretty unusual to see in-game in RE.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, it did, and I think you're right that they took the camera off it. Supergreatfriend did an LP of that game, but I don't really feel like checking.

They also had a fairly similar scene in RE2make with what happened to Chief Irons, but I think they didn't put that front and center either. In any case it's a bit different when it happens to that fat old serial killer, you know what I mean?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, it did, and I think you're right that they took the camera off it. Supergreatfriend did an LP of that game, but I don't really feel like checking.

They also had a fairly similar scene in RE2make with what happened to Chief Irons, but I think they didn't put that front and center either. In any case it's a bit different when it happens to that fat old serial killer, you know what I mean?

Plus the pacing of that game is good enough and the voice acting is excellent, you don't even need to see anything when Annette informs Claire that Sherry's been implanted.

Like the insect Chimera enemies in RE1, if you read the files they're produced by injecting insect DNA/technobabble stuff into human embryos and then injecting those into the test subjects' uteri. Written the way it was just because that's sort of what happens in The Fly remake+The Fly II where that enemy comes from but they all have some little stuff that stands out like that in the files that's a bit meaner than what you see in game.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

CharlestonJew posted:

I got the impression she isn't actually watching the news. One of the files you can get off her conspiracy wall indicates that Umbrella controls the local media.

It's possible that what the opening is meant to convey, in conjunction with the outbreak timeline from the RE2make, is that Jill has been killing time and laying low in a tiny, lovely apartment, well aware that she's under surveillance and paranoid that she's infected. The early days of the new games' outbreak were easy to mistake for random rioting, and it doesn't really turn into a genuine disaster until just before she wakes up on the evening of the 28th.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

this is the last straw, sony using the democratic left / california to force capcom to not put an upskirt in resident evil 3 remake is what will stop me from buying a ps5

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

So, how do you dodge? Every time I use it to any effect are in situations where I could just easily run to either side of a zombie and in times when I think I got it they still lunge around and get me. Seems like you either perfect dodge or don't bother.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Wanderer posted:

I got the impression she isn't actually watching the news. One of the files you can get off her conspiracy wall indicates that Umbrella controls the local media.

It's possible that what the opening is meant to convey, in conjunction with the outbreak timeline from the RE2make, is that Jill has been killing time and laying low in a tiny, lovely apartment, well aware that she's under surveillance and paranoid that she's infected. The early days of the new games' outbreak were easy to mistake for random rioting, and it doesn't really turn into a genuine disaster until just before she wakes up on the evening of the 28th.

I've always been so happy that much important Resident Evil poo poo goes down on September 28th because that's my birthday. :haw:

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I’m really digging this and I think it’s very obviously supposed to be the other side of RE 2 Remake’s coin. They go hand in hand very well together, and I like how some events in this one directly correlate to stuff in 2.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jimbot posted:

So, how do you dodge? Every time I use it to any effect are in situations where I could just easily run to either side of a zombie and in times when I think I got it they still lunge around and get me. Seems like you either perfect dodge or don't bother.

Dodge is least useful on zombies because their default attack is a grab. It's more useful against fast/charging enemies because even if you don't perfect dodge you at least get out of the way.

Really though you should always be aiming for a perfect dodge.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

man nurse posted:

I’m really digging this and I think it’s very obviously supposed to be the other side of RE 2 Remake’s coin. They go hand in hand very well together, and I like how some events in this one directly correlate to stuff in 2.

Well yeah that’swhat the original was, as far as I’m aware it doesn’t have much to do with either remake.

Even the most two does is giving rapey chief some more focus and attempts to give 2 a more focused plot

By focused I mean an actual plot

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

When Nemesis first appears, in that part right before you get to the Sewers, any of you guys managed to get him to drop anything other than shotgun shells? I've seen some reports of people getting handgun mods but I don't know if it's possible that early. I replayed it three times and got the same item in all of them.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I do like what RE3make has done with Nemesis. Despite the fact that they're constantly going to be compared to each other, he's really nothing like Mr. X at all. While Mr. X is around, he's a constant, threatening that chases you everywhere and that you can never quite get away from. It's a very oppressive feeling, in a good way. Nemesis is highly scripted, much like the encounters in classic RE3 were. He doesn't just consistently follow you around, instead there are set encounters that you have to handle and then you're free of him again for a while. That is really not a bad way to do it, but I suppose it's also bit less unique-feeling.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Mr. Maggy posted:

I bet I could've beat RE3 in the time I've spent in queues for REsistance

I’ve never waited longer than three minutes playing as a survivor.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Mystic Stylez posted:

When Nemesis first appears, in that part right before you get to the Sewers, any of you guys managed to get him to drop anything other than shotgun shells? I've seen some reports of people getting handgun mods but I don't know if it's possible that early. I replayed it three times and got the same item in all of them.

the first time i beat him on the streets right after the electrical substation and he dropped an extended magazine

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

0 rows returned posted:

the first time i beat him on the streets right after the electrical substation and he dropped an extended magazine

Thanks for this, gratefully I had a save before his first appearance and indeed he dropped an extended magazine, then in the next fight a suppressor and finally in the "divert the creature" part the shotgun shells. So it doesn't look like they are randomized, I guess.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

CharlestonJew posted:

The "cannibal disease" had been going around since before RE1, so Jill was somewhat justified in not expecting things to turn quite as fast as they did. Plus she's a hero, she's not gonna just run when she thinks she can get the other cops on her side and deal with the issue before it gets real serious.

Wanderer posted:

The start of the game also seems to be right at the start of the outbreak proper. Central RC still has civilians running around, and there are cops trying to bring survivors to the hospital.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, when you leave her apartment at the beginning of the game, you can literally see things actively going to poo poo as you look on, so the outbreak hasn't so much happened as it is currently happening right the gently caress now, go go go go. Presumably, that particular moment is when Birkin bites it and rats start spreading the T properly, instead of just isolated infections.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Does the 'bash A when grabbed' reduce damage or is it possible to negate it completely? I'm just dicking around with those two zombies by the garage checking stuff out/loving with graphics settings at the minute trying to get the muscle mermory of RE4 out my hands as I've been playing that a lot the past couple weeks.

Game seems oddly blurry (MSI GTX970, 2K) with the default settings, though turning off AA, motion blur and depth of field helps a bit

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
When i booted up the game on PC for the first time there was some popup about a Capcom codec or something that it said i needed to download to play the game.

I closed it though and the game's booted up fine. What was that about? I've exited and restarted the game and it hasn't come up again.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I had that too but assumed it was included with the usual Steam first time setup thing

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Kind of wary about spending $60 on this given the mixed reviews but Steam is tempting me with these bundle savings.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I beat the game, playing on Hardcore.

I don't know how much I'd commit to this comparison after I sleep on it, but it feels like I got Revelations 3 instead of REmake 3.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Resistance has been run, and the pubbies aren’t completely useless. I’m MoldyMilkJug on PSN if anyone wants to play later before I try RE3 proper.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Kind of wary about spending $60 on this given the mixed reviews but Steam is tempting me with these bundle savings.

It took me a second to get this, but I lol'd. I hope people actually look at the image.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone keen to play some Resistance with me on PS4? GT is shangalang90.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

In game there is a model of a BMW Mini Cooper that didn’t come out until 2001 when this is supposed to be 1998.

Immersion ruined 0/10.