Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

I’ve used Rizom a fair bit and it’s pretty solid. It has some quirks and feels like it has a bit of room to grow, but it provides good unwraps in a fraction of the time compared to Maya / etc. I’ve been really happy with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Struggling with Zbrush's camera or lack of camera options. Probably time to bring it into Maya anyways. Never could get the fur right in Keyshot but I am willing to give Xgen a go.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Big K of Justice posted:

Thanos snapped his fingers and NDA concerns just turned to dust.

I'm part of the VPN work from home crew now.

hp remote graphics for the win.

Same here! Friends in vfx are still going to work everyday which sucks, but thankfully the metros are almost empty so they’re not being near too many ppl.

Framestore and DNEG are stepping up with work from home but the Technicolor studios are being careless as usual and showing no regard for their employees health.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos
My VFX studio has transitioned to mostly WFH, but I think today they all might have to due to Newsom’s shelter in home command for California.

They’re a boutique shop though, so there’s definitely a bit more concern and care about the artists. Everyone has been working together to make it as smooth as possible.

And the weirdest thing happened last night... 6pm rolled around, and all the WFH artists logged off from slack. I’ve never seen the group of them end on time, people always work until 8 at the earliest.
Don’t want to read too much into it, but I’m hoping the work/life balance just got a big boost as people realize “huh, I don’t have to kill myself on a daily basis?!”

My animation studio on the other hand, has been fully virtual since the beginning, so no changes there.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Slothful Bong posted:

And the weirdest thing happened last night... 6pm rolled around, and all the WFH artists logged off from slack. I’ve never seen the group of them end on time, people always work until 8 at the earliest.
Don’t want to read too much into it, but I’m hoping the work/life balance just got a big boost as people realize “huh, I don’t have to kill myself on a daily basis?!”

If they were commuting in LA, that's probably 2 hours of savings from not having to sit on the 405 right there!

loaf
Jan 25, 2004

I haven't done any modeling in a year or so, but I just had some interest in funding my old game so I dusted off the assets and spent way too long on some pitch deck cover art:

loaf fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Mar 21, 2020

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Oh hey, I remember that from a bit back. I’m working on a VR flight thing myself. Let me know if you want to chat about it sometime.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Anyone want to make :10bux: or so? I need 2 minor mods to a model I have (change the thickness of one side, reshape the end a bit).

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I could take a look, depends on the complexity of what you need done.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Awesome! PM me or give me an address to send the file and reference pics to, and let's see if we can get this worked up!

Or I can PM you, which I have.

Komojo
Jun 30, 2007

Some more random Blender models I made recently from weekend challenge prompts:

Sky Islands
("Atmospheric")

Dolphin Family
("Caustics")

Security Robot
("Security")

Dream Flight
("Lucid Dreaming")

Princess Mira Visits the Workers
("Colony")

I started making these characters a few weeks ago with the plan of animating them in the Eevee render engine, and it happened to fit the weekend challenge theme so I made this. I think this could actually look pretty cool in an animation.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Just looking for some feedback. I have some scans of some 1/6th scale bodies. If I wanted to hire someone to make armor to fit said bodies (think Dr. Doom :doom: ) what sort of 3d artist would I need to look for? Is that a zbrush sort of thing? I know 3d modeling can cover anything from CGI in movies down to cad drawings (or that awesome artwork one post above), so asking for a 3d modeler is sort of a catch-all term, and I'd like to be able to narrow it down a little when I start my search.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Just looking for some feedback. I have some scans of some 1/6th scale bodies. If I wanted to hire someone to make armor to fit said bodies (think Dr. Doom :doom: ) what sort of 3d artist would I need to look for? Is that a zbrush sort of thing? I know 3d modeling can cover anything from CGI in movies down to cad drawings (or that awesome artwork one post above), so asking for a 3d modeler is sort of a catch-all term, and I'd like to be able to narrow it down a little when I start my search.

What's your end goal in this project of yours?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I kinda thought it'd be obvious, I'm thinking of making a sixth scale Doom figure.

Edit: I have a resin printer, and thought it'd be a cool way to make the figure instead of trying to repurpose knight's armor from other figures.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Apr 4, 2020

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Just a regular character or 3D artist should be able to do the trick. I'd offer my services but I'm busy as heck at the moment luckily.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I'm currently learning how to sculpt using zbrush by making some bases for 32mm miniatures. I'm getting a pretty good handle on the sculpting part, but I really need some help in regards to the workflow to follow for getting the parts 3D printed. I have a system that works -- most of the time -- but I know there has to be a better way to do it.

Currently, this is what I'm doing once I finished the sculpt:
1.) In zbrush I use the decimation master to scale down to 75k polys.
2.) I use the 'export STL' option from the '3D Print Hub' zplugin.
3.) I open the file in meshmixer and use the analysis tool to see if there are any issues. Depending on the complexity of my sculpt sometimes there are hundreds/thousands of problems. I use a lot of texture alphas and that seems to really make a mess of things. Note that in zbrush I don't get any errors reported if I use the 'check mesh integrity' option.
4.) If there are any issues I use the 'make solid' option in meshmixer with the detail level cranked to max. This seems to completely fix the issue, but leaves me with a very high-poly file again. I've tried the auto-repair in meshmixer but it removes parts of my model sometimes.
5.) I bring the high-poly file back into zbrush and decimate again.
6.) I open the file back in meshmixer just to double-check the integrity. Sometimes meshmixer won't open the file (generic error opening file type message) but it still prints just fine.

Please tell me there's an easier way.

Apr 7, 2019

I haven't done any 3d printing, but I imagine those kinds of errors are generated by intersecting geometry. How are you doing your original sculpt? Are you just starting with a high poly cube and carving into it? Maybe try dynamesh inside zbrush, which will rebuild your mesh without any overlaps.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

500 posted:

I haven't done any 3d printing, but I imagine those kinds of errors are generated by intersecting geometry. How are you doing your original sculpt? Are you just starting with a high poly cube and carving into it? Maybe try dynamesh inside zbrush, which will rebuild your mesh without any overlaps.
A lot of my sculpts start out by converting an alpha into a 3D mesh using the "Make 3D" option in the alpha panel. I then refine the sculpt from there.

eg.

For others I'll sculpt a bunch of different assets and combine them into a single file. These typically have the most problems even though individually the assets seem ok.

eg.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
As posted above, dynamesh will give you a non overlapping, non interpenetrating, watertight mesh. I usually copy the original tool, dynamesh the copy, and if there's detail lost, subdivide and project onto the original mesh. Store a morph target so you can morph away any gnarly projections

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

EoinCannon posted:

As posted above, dynamesh will give you a non overlapping, non interpenetrating, watertight mesh. I usually copy the original tool, dynamesh the copy, and if there's detail lost, subdivide and project onto the original mesh. Store a morph target so you can morph away any gnarly projections
That's a lot of stuff I don't understand so I've got some work ahead of me, but I appreciate the response.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

InternetJunky posted:

That's a lot of stuff I don't understand so I've got some work ahead of me, but I appreciate the response.

Dynamesh takes your model and then rebuilds it- there are a variety of settings that control it, but on default it will essentially try to build the model with a uniform polygon size. The resulting model doesn't have any intersecting geometry, I guess you could think of it like making a cast of your model's surface. The resulting mesh surface is complete, it doesn't have holes etc, so it's watertight.

If you are building your models from multiple subtools, you can merge them to get one single subtool, and then if you run Dynamesh it will convert individual meshes into a single mesh if there is overlap in space.

When Zbrush does this rebuilding with the Dynamesh process, depending on your settings, finer details may be lost as the algorithm averages the positions of points and whatever else it does. You can regain lost details using the Project function in the Subtool menu- it takes one model and compares it to a second and then deforms the one mesh to match the other without changing polygon count. It just moves the polys in one model to better approximate the shape of the other model. I use it in this workflow:

http://docs.pixologic.com/user-guide/3d-modeling/topology/zremesher/transferring-detail/

which is a little different than what you're doing because I use the Zremesher, but you can do the same steps except you're using Dynamesh to reduce the poly #s instead of Zremesher. But, you need to have enough polygons in your model for the shape-matching to work right, hence why EoinCannon mentions subdividing.

To sum up you would do something like this (unless I'm mistaken).

1. Merge all your subtools into one subtool.
2. Duplicate the subtool.
3. Dynamesh the duplicate. If it looks good, you're done, if not-
4. Subdivide the duplicate to get more polygons.
5. With the subdivided copy as the active (selected) subtool, and the original in the stack just above it, open the Project function in the subtool menu and click Project All. (There are other settings that you can read about that you can change to make the process go better). Zbrush will look at the non-active subtool (which is your original model) and then move the polys in your dynameshed, subdivided copy to make it better match the shape of your original. This will take time proportional to how many polygons need to be processed but is typically quite fast.

You can check how good the results are by toggling Dynamic Solo viewing mode and then switching between the active subtool.

It's a good, rapid overall way to get a new model that has no intersection issues and is good to go for 3D printing without spending tons of time rebuilding a model by hand or going around and fixing tons of little problems.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Listerine posted:

Dynamesh takes your model and then rebuilds it- there are a variety of settings that control it, but on default it will essentially try to build the model with a uniform polygon size. The resulting model doesn't have any intersecting geometry, I guess you could think of it like making a cast of your model's surface. The resulting mesh surface is complete, it doesn't have holes etc, so it's watertight.

If you are building your models from multiple subtools, you can merge them to get one single subtool, and then if you run Dynamesh it will convert individual meshes into a single mesh if there is overlap in space.

When Zbrush does this rebuilding with the Dynamesh process, depending on your settings, finer details may be lost as the algorithm averages the positions of points and whatever else it does. You can regain lost details using the Project function in the Subtool menu- it takes one model and compares it to a second and then deforms the one mesh to match the other without changing polygon count. It just moves the polys in one model to better approximate the shape of the other model. I use it in this workflow:

http://docs.pixologic.com/user-guide/3d-modeling/topology/zremesher/transferring-detail/

which is a little different than what you're doing because I use the Zremesher, but you can do the same steps except you're using Dynamesh to reduce the poly #s instead of Zremesher. But, you need to have enough polygons in your model for the shape-matching to work right, hence why EoinCannon mentions subdividing.

To sum up you would do something like this (unless I'm mistaken).

1. Merge all your subtools into one subtool.
2. Duplicate the subtool.
3. Dynamesh the duplicate. If it looks good, you're done, if not-
4. Subdivide the duplicate to get more polygons.
5. With the subdivided copy as the active (selected) subtool, and the original in the stack just above it, open the Project function in the subtool menu and click Project All. (There are other settings that you can read about that you can change to make the process go better). Zbrush will look at the non-active subtool (which is your original model) and then move the polys in your dynameshed, subdivided copy to make it better match the shape of your original. This will take time proportional to how many polygons need to be processed but is typically quite fast.

You can check how good the results are by toggling Dynamic Solo viewing mode and then switching between the active subtool.

It's a good, rapid overall way to get a new model that has no intersection issues and is good to go for 3D printing without spending tons of time rebuilding a model by hand or going around and fixing tons of little problems.
Thanks a million for this. Somehow this made far more sense than any video I could find on the topic!

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

InternetJunky posted:

Thanks a million for this. Somehow this made far more sense than any video I could find on the topic!

Yeah no problem, I hope I got everything right, kinda posting off memory.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Sorry I didn't check back on this thread so I didn't appreciate how half arsed my explanation was

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
I've been spending my quarantine days trying to learn more 3D poo poo. Here is my first attempt at baking normals from a high poly model to a low(er) poly model:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRk2Mx6O8nM

Neon Noodle fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Apr 9, 2020

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
Quick question about maintenance on Substance products- if I let it lapse, am I totally locked out of paying for maintenance again, or can I pay again later?

It turns out that they're ending maintenance purchases in October 2020, so they're encouraging people to wait until then so they can get maintenance on their current license through October 2021. I've always paid my maintenance fee before the current cycle ended, so I don't know what happens when maintenance actually expires.

Apr 7, 2019

Listerine posted:

Quick question about maintenance on Substance products- if I let it lapse, am I totally locked out of paying for maintenance again, or can I pay again later?

It turns out that they're ending maintenance purchases in October 2020, so they're encouraging people to wait until then so they can get maintenance on their current license through October 2021. I've always paid my maintenance fee before the current cycle ended, so I don't know what happens when maintenance actually expires.

My Substance Painter's maintenance expired last year (20/07/2019). Status in the 'licenses' section of my account is listed as 'renew your maintenance'. If I click the 'Upgrade Licenses' button, I have a button next to 'Upgrade for Substance Painter - Perpetual Indie license' to purchase maintenance for $75 ,which will 'extend maintenance to 2021-04-11' (who the gently caress formats dates that way?)

Does that answer your question?

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

500 posted:

My Substance Painter's maintenance expired last year (20/07/2019). Status in the 'licenses' section of my account is listed as 'renew your maintenance'. If I click the 'Upgrade Licenses' button, I have a button next to 'Upgrade for Substance Painter - Perpetual Indie license' to purchase maintenance for $75 ,which will 'extend maintenance to 2021-04-11' (who the gently caress formats dates that way?)

Does that answer your question?

100%, thanks so much.

And that's a European convention for dates, year-month-day. Allegorithmic were French I believe?

Apr 7, 2019

Listerine posted:

100%, thanks so much.

And that's a European convention for dates, year-month-day. Allegorithmic were French I believe?

Awesome! I guess that date format makes more sense than the US one, the least logical of all date formats.

Here's a procedural rubik's cube I've been working on in houdini. I first attempted something similar like a month ago and couldn't figure it out. Had another crack at it this week with much more success.

https://i.imgur.com/ud17Qcj.gifv

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Whoa, that is awesome! I love the moonstone texture on the inside!

Kinda wish it was real, cause I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Dang, super cool

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

500 posted:

Awesome! I guess that date format makes more sense than the US one, the least logical of all date formats.

Here's a procedural rubik's cube I've been working on in houdini. I first attempted something similar like a month ago and couldn't figure it out. Had another crack at it this week with much more success.

https://i.imgur.com/ud17Qcj.gifv

That is very very cool. I would make it pause once it solves the puzzle - then loop. So there is enough time to register the beginning / end of the loop.

Side by side render with Keyshot on the left and Zbrush on the right. Still a long way to go.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Apr 15, 2020

Apr 7, 2019

Thanks guys. It's supposed to be a seamless loop but it looks like giphy chopped off the last second or two :(

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Trying to make the most of confinement and get back into Blender a little

Not aiming for anything of oustanding quality but I'm just having a go at modelling something I wouldn't have been able to do a week ago. Removed an errant face from the shapekey vertex group since that render.

Captain Splendid fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Apr 17, 2020

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
What is a good rigging course I could follow? Ideally blender or maya

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Rudimentary animation and way too much bloom but most of the hard stuff is done.

https://i.imgur.com/rabGL3I.gifv

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Hard surface objects don't flex.... unless.... they should. lol

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
I'm trying to figure out how to retopologize with Blender and I was using this tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QarEhgsbJwQ

And I cannot for the life of me get points to stick to the surface of the monkey geometry. All my points either end up inside the monkey geo or some of them will be on the far side of the object from where I clicked.

Any ideas?

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
If you hold Ctrl while moving the point, that will turn snapping off for that move. Since you have to hold Ctrl while doing some polybuild operations, you might be holding it down still and having points/edges not snap to the geometry properly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2019

Something I've been playing around with is using photogrammetry with youtube videos. Not great for anything detailed but works well for abstract particle environments.

https://i.imgur.com/9P6wbvU.gifv