Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I couldn't get into RE7 so anything similar to that one are a wash for me. I'm glad it has its audience, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Vikar Jerome posted:

The sequel to re7.

Yeah that

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
"AS Revelations 3, Ethan, Chris and Rebecca were the playable cast. But I got word Rebecca got 100% cut and Ethan and Chris were "changed", so I don't know what that means, I'm going in blind on that with everyone else on who's actually playable (and to give an idea of how severe these story changes may actually be)."

Haha they had rebecca and cut her. Oh man.

No idea who the characters are until reveal i guess.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I like RE games, and this sounds interesting, and I'd also like to point out that the times the series has deviated from its course into something new (RE 4, RE 7) it usually ends up being an awesome game and a revitalization of the series.

I'm open to anything.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Oh poo poo what if all the mistrust and occult stuff means our girl alex wesker is back in town. Would explain the resistence cameo! Even more if it was rev3.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

This whole things kind of reminds me how Final Fantasy Versus XIII got turned into FF XV. Just, y'know, with way less development time involved.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Yeah, the game is pretty lackluster. I don't think it's worth the asking price, if you're on the fence.

Malcolm Excellent posted:

So RE3 has decided to open in a resolution my monitors don't support, and open in between two of them so my computer freaks the gently caress out and I can't get in and change anything. Any tips?

Try Alt+Enter, or Windows+Up.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

man nurse posted:

This whole things kind of reminds me how Final Fantasy Versus XIII got turned into FF XV. Just, y'know, with way less development time involved.
And less gameplay changes due to the director watching a musical and wanting to replicate that.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Me and the pubs just getting poo poo wrecked by Willy B in Resistence every time he pops up even if we do focus fire him, frustrating. Trying to figure out how to use Samuel.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Vikar Jerome posted:

"AS Revelations 3, Ethan, Chris and Rebecca were the playable cast. But I got word Rebecca got 100% cut and Ethan and Chris were "changed", so I don't know what that means, I'm going in blind on that with everyone else on who's actually playable (and to give an idea of how severe these story changes may actually be)."

Haha they had rebecca and cut her. Oh man.

No idea who the characters are until reveal i guess.

Just give us a Billy and Josh team up game already! :argh:

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Can I please get Sherry again, in a non poo poo game please?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Am I better off using dodge, or doing the RE2 thing of kite to one end of the hall then sprint around the other end? I feel like I should be relying more on perfect dodges, but I find the timing really tough to nail down and have gotten way more consistent results just weaving around like an idiot.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Is there a PS4 discord for RE2?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Caidin posted:

Me and the pubs just getting poo poo wrecked by Willy B in Resistence every time he pops up even if we do focus fire him, frustrating. Trying to figure out how to use Samuel.

Sometimes its better just to run away.

Samuel is just a brick. Keep the creatures off you teammates, and beat everything else into submission with either a metal bat or your fists. Get some sort of gun second round, so you can plink at the big threats with your team.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
I'm enjoying the game so far! Not necessarily feeling the length complaints, but then again I started on Hardcore and am dying a lot so that probably explains some things :v:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Vikar Jerome posted:

Holyshit the re2021 game is re8 and its the witches and werewolves one which was originally revelations 3 but now with more being put in now its re8. I cant wait. This guy is legit btw, got alot right with 7, 2 & 3 remake:

https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1/status/1246271327167602688?s=19

https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1/status/1246272059501502464?s=19

https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1/status/1246272897804468225?s=19

https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1/status/1246273286285037568?s=19

Hahaha yeeeesss!

Sounds pretty rad

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
lol @ Brad yelling “wait for me!!” at the helicopter just after you meet him

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"

Vikar Jerome posted:

Holyshit the re2021 game is re8 and its the witches and werewolves one which was originally revelations 3 but now with more being put in now its re8. I cant wait. This guy is legit btw, got alot right with 7, 2 & 3 remake:

https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1/status/1246271327167602688?s=19

https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1/status/1246272059501502464?s=19

https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1/status/1246272897804468225?s=19

https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1/status/1246273286285037568?s=19

Hahaha yeeeesss!

I just couldn't finish RE7. I think I made it to a wrecked ship? I felt the controls were too clunky and it seemed like they were going for an Amnesia vibe and I couldnt stand that game. That said, witches and werewolves and snow sound different and unique enough and the RE series has built up a lot of goodwill with RE2 and RE3 that I'm hopeful these rumors are true and I'd love to see more.

(I also liked Rev2, but got to the invisible enemies and 1) couldn't switch characters fast enough to spot them and 2) didn't have any friends to play with so I quit. Which is a shame because I was really digging it.)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Resistance seems...not bad at all? This seems kind of fun but I have no idea what I’m doing.

The gameplay feels very close to RE3

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Hypeman Jerome posted:

Hahaha yeeeesss!
What does "Got a lot right" mean to you? Because the R3make your sources ended up describing didn't seem much closer to the reality than my posts about my dream RE3. I'm happy you're getting pumped though, even if your level of hype basically inoculates me against getting swept up in the hypetrain. :v:

Omi no Kami posted:

Am I better off using dodge, or doing the RE2 thing of kite to one end of the hall then sprint around the other end? I feel like I should be relying more on perfect dodges, but I find the timing really tough to nail down and have gotten way more consistent results just weaving around like an idiot.
Weave for zombies, dodge for bigger enemies.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Open Marriage Night posted:

Sometimes its better just to run away.

A reasonable tactic for William, he's not very fast and I once managed to run his timer down by running in circles around a bit of furniture to hopefully the masterminds frustration. Doesn't seem to work on Mr. X though, He has this clothesline move that runs faster then you, knocks you down and then he can just keep circling till your out. Very rude.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
How hard is hardcore? I started on it because you need to beat it for more modes, but that was before I remembered how many goddamn times you can shoot a zombie in the head before it dies.

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost
Anyone else find a parallel between Nikolai talking about the value of combat data and how sparse Re3 single player campaign is to Resistance? A $60 game comes with one outfit for Carlos and 2 outfits for Jill, meanwhile the “free” multiplayer game has tiered boxes, layered skills, and character select galore.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

A Buttery Pastry posted:

What does "Got a lot right" mean to you? Because the R3make your sources ended up describing didn't seem much closer to the reality than my posts about my dream RE3. I'm happy you're getting pumped though, even if your level of hype basically inoculates me against getting swept up in the hypetrain. :v:

Weave for zombies, dodge for bigger enemies.

Oh thank god, thanks- I could see dodge working for anything that's not a grab, but holy poo poo that timing is tight.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
As someone who's favourite Resident Evil game of all time is Nemesis, I'm pretty bummed out at how much weaker this game is by comparison, but I still enjoyed Jill and Carlos being back.

I think it's a shame they didn't do something more with the stuff introduced for Jill in the intro and completely independent of any expectations, I think this might be one of the worst paced games I've ever played.

Jill does say 'I'll show you S.T.A.R.S.!' though, so 8/10.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The PTSD nightmares are weird because they feel like a total afterthought. It'd be a cool thing to explore, but last time this series took a crack at that subject, Chris Redfield pulled a shotgun out of his own memories and yelled at his boyfriend.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Crowetron posted:

The PTSD nightmares are weird because they feel like a total afterthought. It'd be a cool thing to explore, but last time this series took a crack at that subject, Chris Redfield pulled a shotgun out of his own memories and yelled at his boyfriend.

They should have just remade the exact scene from RE6 where Piers (?) finds amnesiac Chris drunk in a bar with a shaggy beard, except with Jill and Brad.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Dan Didio posted:

They should have just remade the exact scene from RE6 where Piers (?) finds amnesiac Chris drunk in a bar with a shaggy beard, except with Jill and Brad.

If Nemesis destroyed that incredibly well-rendered steak, the player would be even more motivated to fight him. Now we're thinking.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Crowetron posted:

That was really more head trauma than PTSD, in the final analysis.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Dan Didio posted:

Jill does say 'I'll show you S.T.A.R.S.!' though, so 8/10.

Gotta say, Jill's VA did a really good job voicing her. Some A+ line deliveries.

Her scoffing at Carlos had me smiling every time.

itry fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Apr 4, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I got a laugh out of the way she tells Mikhail to "thank his corporate overlords for that."

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The best Jill line is "Bitch can't even swim."

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Mikhail just completely steals the show in general, though. "Get off mah train, sheetbird!"

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011

ultrachrist posted:

How hard is hardcore? I started on it because you need to beat it for more modes, but that was before I remembered how many goddamn times you can shoot a zombie in the head before it dies.

Not too bad if you played re2 remake. They give plenty of healing and ammo. Zombies take a ton of knife hits though so you might be standing there stabbing them for a while. I think you take more damage if you get hit from behind so just be aware of that.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

ultrachrist posted:

Feels harder in some ways than RE2 to me, the bosses attacks are a bit harder to avoid or at least I found that to be the case and obviously they really hurt on hardcore. There's a section that's a bit like the cop in the gas station scenario from the RE2 free dlc that was really loving hard as well. Obviously you can dodge a lot of the zombies just like in RE2 and that's a bit easier because there are less of the hallways and important rooms that you'll have to go through multiple times.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

RE3make is pretty visibly built around the idea that you will try to fight and kill everything you encounter, so you get a ton more ammo than you could possibly need if you try to play the game like it's RE2make.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

The remake is good but it just feels a bit weird. If it was in the works as long as RE2 I wouldn't be surprised if it changed direction part way through development, because even though its more action oriented than RE2make, it feels rushed, padded and a bit bare bones compared to it. Happy that I got this as a birthday present rather than paid for it because chucking £40 down the drain for a game I completed in an evening is a bit much.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

They definitely throw too much ammo at you. I'd prefer having less ammo with headshots doing more damage to basic zombies.

And the pacing is bad. You get a shotgun 30 minutes into the game, and an upgrade for it.
Later in the game you get the burst pistol and 30 minutes after that you also get the Magnum.
And there's barely any down time between shooting stuff.

Also, screw magical teleporting cutscene powered Nikolai.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
I've played enough to say that I can't recommend this game at full price. Wait for a good discount, because it's really just an expansion pack made into its own game.

The one word I'd used to define the RE3make experience is just 'middling'. There's a lot of empty air, lots of unseized potential and opportunity. It just feels like a lot was squandered. I mean it looks good, it's fine to play, and at times it's definitely fun, but it's just... lacking. It's worth playing at least once or twice if you're into RE, but it's way too short and way too tightly constrained and paced. It has this way of setting a lot of expectations then, moments later, having an identity crisis and leaving one feeling led on.

Aside from my overarching gripe on the game's design, I think what makes it feel even more rushed along is that you end up fighting against a surfeit of enemies who are instant kill on wheels and you can often count the quantity of unique enemies that appear in a run on one hand. My only death in a run was being cutscene necked by a green Hunter. They're far more of a threat than Nemesis is in his own game. Must be why they dropped 'NEMESIS' from the title, because he's non-existent. The Hunter Gammas are just, why, y'know. Then I learned that Nemesis has an instant kill attack on Hardcore at the end if you don't play it in the way they want you to play it, where he casually reaches over without any warning and grabs you from the sides.

The best part of the game is easily the entire first act, from meeting Mikhail and getting back after setting the subway route. It's the only time it feels like Nemesis is even in play besides a token boss fight. The rocket launcher chase stuff does not count, it's not even a fight, and plus, he has an instant kill if he gets close that, like a lot of others in the game, completely ignore Fine health status.

The first act is also the only time you feel like you're playing an RE game. The whole game feels like it's holding back, because after that point it's a ridiculously linear experience. That whole clock tower area where Nemesis transforms screams of rush hour development. There's literally no good reason it should exist as an area because that entire sequence was a "go to the boss arena" segment. "Hey, look, we added something that looks like that very important part from the original experience but we did nothing interesting with it!

Then you're Carlos wandering a hospital which at first seems really good and then, oh, a handful of hunters, and then a RE4 cabin-esque fight. Once you start getting weapons, they start putting fewer challenges in your path too, because ?

Then that's over. Back to a boss fight. Then it's exploring more dead and empty rooms with little in the way of threat except more monsters and instant kills.

I enjoyed it as an RE fan, but I definitely don't feel it was worth the $60 price. Oh well. There'll be more RE, maybe. Maybe even some DLC. Or maybe they'll just put the rest of their development allotment into Resistance *fart*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
It's noticeably rushed but i really enjoyed my hardcore playthrough, once the ammo starts pouring in you get put through so many enemy encounters that the shotgun becomes your pistol.
Maybe not worth the full price, if you're in the fence, but it's really fun between hard biting zombies and shotgunning hunters in the face.