Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

crispix posted:

Maybe has one of them breathing holes in his throat, op

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

jesus how high's he set the pressure

Ha, one step closer to living the dream.

I've been looking through my back catalogue of games for something to do and escape reality.

Neverwinter Nights? Nope, starts you off in a plague infected city.

Dying Light? See above!

Deus Ex? Gray death...

Borderlands 2? Awesome! Until I got to the town of Lookout, which involves missions helping people trapped in their homes. Hell, one of the quest givers is even wearing a drat surgical mask.

Guess I'm playing through New Vegas again for like the 6th time... It'll be a warm up for the future.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I didn't get the memo about clapping for the NHS and when it started I thought a public execution or something was happening

edit: also I managed to hold out until today before buying a bottle of rum and I'm now trying out different beard styles that I have thus far avoided in publci

Lemon fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 4, 2020

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lib dem voters will ensure it continues 8pm every thursday forever

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Valko posted:

Ha, one step closer to living the dream.

I've been looking through my back catalogue of games for something to do and escape reality.

Neverwinter Nights? Nope, starts you off in a plague infected city.

Dying Light? See above!

Deus Ex? Gray death...

Borderlands 2? Awesome! Until I got to the town of Lookout, which involves missions helping people trapped in their homes. Hell, one of the quest givers is even wearing a drat surgical mask.

Guess I'm playing through New Vegas again for like the 6th time... It'll be a warm up for the future.

I'm actually consuming (no pun) more zombie media than I would normally do recently and finding it quite therapeutic in a weird way.
I'm finding working from home pretty tough as a mental health worker that can't see patients (asthma) so can only interact with my crazies via phone. Everything takes three times longer than it used to when you can't just go sort out a new electric key or whatever yourself, so bizarre Resident Evil etc puzzles to get a mundane item are quite appealing at the moment

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
You were almost a Jill Sand-wich :dadjoke:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

googled my energy supplier because i've got an old pay-as-you-go key electricity meter in this rental place that i haven't gotten swapped out.

mostly just wanted to see whether there was a pay-online function, but got reading their stuff about people isolating due to coronavirus.

real helpful, they were

please ensure you have your emergencies within the defined timeframes.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

I wasn't around to do an Irwin R. Schyster run-in on the earlier discussion, but most company directors I'm involved with will pay themselves the £719 per month to take them up to the limit of when they would begin to pay NI/tax, meaning they actually pay less tax that way than by taking dividends only, as well as it counting towards their NI contribution years for state pension eligibility.

That's in fact so common that I'd almost be inclined to ignore the note they've made as not applicable if you don't take it and just claim under the self-employed scheme

Technically I'm not sure that my professional advice can be "just grab everything you can and worry about how it works later", but as a counterpoint, all money is make-believe and with the volumes involved HMRC are going to struggle to audit anything beyond the most obviously bullshit claims.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

disclaimer: while the reference to Irwin R Schyster would imply a level of tax knowledge, it is actually to be read purely that i am disturbingly sweaty and profoundly inappropriately dressed for the main day-to-day requirements of me

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

googled my energy supplier because i've got an old pay-as-you-go key electricity meter in this rental place that i haven't gotten swapped out.

mostly just wanted to see whether there was a pay-online function, but got reading their stuff about people isolating due to coronavirus.

real helpful, they were

please ensure you have your emergencies within the defined timeframes.

If anyone needs to contact British Gas for whatever reason, use the live chat, they dealt with the issue as quickly as one could hope. Don't bother with the phone line it's a robot that doesn't understand anything and at one point asked me if I wanted to change a water meter.
A few providers will send out prepaid cards/keys for those self isolating (though maybe only during business hours).

Just in general but especially after 4 hours of phonecalls and outright lies the other day, , gently caress Scottish Power, absolute parasitic shitshow.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

FullLeatherJacket posted:

I wasn't around to do an Irwin R. Schyster run-in on the earlier discussion, but most company directors I'm involved with will pay themselves the £719 per month to take them up to the limit of when they would begin to pay NI/tax, meaning they actually pay less tax that way than by taking dividends only, as well as it counting towards their NI contribution years for state pension eligibility.

That's in fact so common that I'd almost be inclined to ignore the note they've made as not applicable if you don't take it and just claim under the self-employed scheme

Technically I'm not sure that my professional advice can be "just grab everything you can and worry about how it works later", but as a counterpoint, all money is make-believe and with the volumes involved HMRC are going to struggle to audit anything beyond the most obviously bullshit claims.

You do have a very large head so I can believe all of this

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

FullLeatherJacket posted:

disclaimer: while the reference to Irwin R Schyster would imply a level of tax knowledge, it is actually to be read purely that i am disturbingly sweaty and profoundly inappropriately dressed for the main day-to-day requirements of me

And you have a hueg head!!!

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

NonzeroCircle posted:

If anyone needs to contact British Gas for whatever reason, use the live chat, they dealt with the issue as quickly as one could hope. Don't bother with the phone line it's a robot that doesn't understand anything and at one point asked me if I wanted to change a water meter.
A few providers will send out prepaid cards/keys for those self isolating (though maybe only during business hours).

Just in general but especially after 4 hours of phonecalls and outright lies the other day, , gently caress Scottish Power, absolute parasitic shitshow.

I got an "Advice about your prepayment meter: Coronavirus update" card through my door from Scottish Power.

It said, "Where possible, keep more credit in your prepayment meter than you normally would." and "If you can't leave your home, ask family or friends for their help to top up your key or card."

That was pretty much it.

loving outstanding advice for anyone struggling.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Bape Culture posted:

And you have a hueg head!!!

I'm hoping that when I wear my mask to the co-op (for my essential supplies of pickled onion monster munch and off-brand energy drink) that people will confuse it for one of those two-tone hot air balloons and find some brief joy in these dark and plague-ridden times

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

monkeytennis posted:

Went for a walk around the village earlier and saw an old guy walking his dog wearing a mask (the man, not the dog). Around his neck. What is the point of that?

Probably because nobody was nearby. My guess is, that if you walked up to him to talk to him, he would put it on.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sneak Lemming posted:

Probably because nobody was nearby. My guess is, that if you walked up to him to talk to him, he would put it on.

Yeah that was my first thought too.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
Has anyone had any luck with market deliveries? We camped for those after 11 p.m. but they go away like in an instant.

Luckily my local Turkish market helps me with orders so I can pick those up from the delivery door without going inside and it's within walking distance (if any goons need help with ordering foodstuff near Elephant and Castle, just hit me up I can help to arrange things).

Galewolf fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 5, 2020

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Sneak Lemming posted:

We walked straight past him on the path and he said a cheerful ‘morning!’ Maybe if we’d not given enough space he’d have put it on

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

monkeytennis posted:

We walked straight past him on the path and he said a cheerful ‘morning!’ Maybe if we’d not given enough space he’d have put it on

Given that you live in Midsommer, this is where we play 'guess monkeytennis's ethnicity and age'

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Shut up Meg posted:

Given that you live in Midsommer, this is where we play 'guess monkeytennis's ethnicity and age'

If you live in Midsommer you'll be murdered LONG before the 'roni kicks in...

Peg Sliderskew
Jan 4, 2010
I'm counting the people I see wearing one plastic glove so they can constantly use their phone in the supermarket. Although I say counting, I lost count around 8, so it might just have been 8 (it wasn't just 8). Also 2 people wearing a mask just over their mouth. This is in London, which explains why we're the epicentre. Sorry.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i've been trying to not go out unless it's really essential because i'm in one of the more disease-ridden boroughs. from what i can see on my street i'm really not surprised we're in such a bad way

also the buzzing whine of lovely scooter engines driven by delivery drivers is slowly driving me mad

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

hockey jockey posted:

I'm counting the people I see wearing one plastic glove so they can constantly use their phone in the supermarket. Although I say counting, I lost count around 8, so it might just have been 8 (it wasn't just 8). Also 2 people wearing a mask just over their mouth. This is in London, which explains why we're the epicentre. Sorry.

Very few people here glove properly. Those who do are generally doing other things right and so don't need to glove.

I see quite a few people wearing masks correctly, but whether they're putting them on and taking them off properly - let alone sterilising them properly - is anyone's guess.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I know so many people not taking this seriously and it's driving me completely insane. One of them is oscilating between 'I hope I don't get it, I can't deal with being ill, I'm so terrified!' and 'Doing some home lockdown workouts with my three friends I've invited over!' and I want to throttle her.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

TTerrible posted:

I know so many people not taking this seriously and it's driving me completely insane. One of them is oscilating between 'I hope I don't get it, I can't deal with being ill, I'm so terrified!' and 'Doing some home lockdown workouts with my three friends I've invited over!' and I want to throttle her.

A friend of mine's son broke our public health orders to go motorbike riding on a mate's property. He hit a kangaroo and shattered his wrist.

He's now put the entire household at risk, including his immunocompromised mother and his elderly grandfather. I have no sympathy for him whatsoever.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
My partner and I went down to lidl for the weekly shop. We took the long way there but on the way back our bags were heavy so walked our normal route through london fields. Jesus christ, so many people, including at least 2 couples sat on the grass having a loving picnic.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
You should have shat on their picnic

Should be in the public information film, that. "If you see people having a picnic, you must poo poo on their picnic. For the good of the country." :catstare:

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Lolie posted:

I see quite a few people wearing masks correctly, but whether they're putting them on and taking them off properly - let alone sterilising them properly - is anyone's guess.
What's the correct method to sterilise a mask at home? Is it something I can do at home with Fairey Liquid and some sticky-backed plastic?

el dingo posted:

My partner and I went down to lidl for the weekly shop.
What's it like down the supermarkets at the moment?
I've been putting off going for as long as possible, but I'm out of fruit and milk and I ate a pack of Sugarpuffs because they are fortified with vitamins. Are the shelves getting full? What restrictions are there?

crispix posted:

You should have shat on their picnic

Should be in the public information film, that. "If you see people having a picnic, you must poo poo on their picnic. For the good of the country." :catstare:
I like the idea of this photoshop thread.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

el dingo posted:

My partner and I went down to lidl for the weekly shop. We took the long way there but on the way back our bags were heavy so walked our normal route through london fields. Jesus christ, so many people, including at least 2 couples sat on the grass having a loving picnic.

I do feel for people who don’t have gardens - I spent the whole day in mine and then had a BBQ.

The warmer the weather gets it’s going to be worse for people stuck in their flats.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Whilst I don't agree with the people flocking to the parks in the slightest, especially when they aren't even practicing social distancing, I do understand that not everyone is in the same lucky position as I am and have a largish garden to spend time in if I do want to go outside or let the dogs out.
There's the expected baying for blood and £1000 fines and all that Daily Mail poo poo on social media ("hurr if they're from London they probably don't even speak English" *posted from my Cotswalds Holiday Home*) .
I'm not sure what a realistic repercussion for this is, there should absolutely be something in place but as a lot of people are already struggling for funds and those doing this are likely not to have an outside space of their own then fines probably aren't a feasible way forward. making GBS threads on picnics it is.
Shame that it isn't pissing down like it normally is.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Boris is in hospital, they say it's precautionary.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52177125

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

johnson with corona, i know, i know, it's serious
johnson with corona i know, i know it's really serious

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

NonzeroCircle posted:

Whilst I don't agree with the people flocking to the parks in the slightest, especially when they aren't even practicing social distancing, I do understand that not everyone is in the same lucky position as I am and have a largish garden to spend time in if I do want to go outside or let the dogs out.
There's the expected baying for blood and £1000 fines and all that Daily Mail poo poo on social media ("hurr if they're from London they probably don't even speak English" *posted from my Cotswalds Holiday Home*) .
I'm not sure what a realistic repercussion for this is, there should absolutely be something in place but as a lot of people are already struggling for funds and those doing this are likely not to have an outside space of their own then fines probably aren't a feasible way forward. making GBS threads on picnics it is.
Shame that it isn't pissing down like it normally is.

Worse is the religious groups just taking the piss and still attending services, and having 100 people go to a funeral.

That seems much easier to crack down on though.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Shut up Meg posted:

What's the correct method to sterilise a mask at home? Is it something I can do at home with Fairey Liquid and some sticky-backed plastic?

For corona just leave it somewhere for three days between uses. The viable virus doesn't survive that long on anything but clean stainless steel surfaces.

Barry White
Jun 28, 2008

Luke Skywalker kills Han Solo's son at the climax of Episode VII

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

Boris is in hospital, they say it's precautionary.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52177125

If he does die, I wonder how many of his kids will be in his will?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

el dingo posted:

I walked my dog from Well Street Common to London Fields this morning, and everyone was behaving themselves. The five-o were even moving people on if they weren’t visibly exercising, the only large group was about 6 homeless dudes on the sheep statues.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

NonzeroCircle posted:

It's a tricky one because for some people, a £50 fine is nothing and for others, it may be the only money they have because of the current situation.
Can we bring back the stocks?

Barry White posted:

You'd have to find out how many he has first and that appears to be covered by the Official Secrets Act.

sassassin posted:

For corona just leave it somewhere for three days between uses. The viable virus doesn't survive that long on anything but clean stainless steel surfaces.
Gotcha: so if I have a couple, just rotate them so they each get sufficient time.

wooger posted:

Worse is the religious groups just taking the piss and still attending services, and having 100 people go to a funeral.

That seems much easier to crack down on though.
Two weeks ago, somebody's grandfather died of the CV and they decided to have a family get together at the funeral. Next week, 17 members of the family also got it.

E:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3NAx3tsy-k

Shut up Meg fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 5, 2020

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

Shut up Meg posted:

What's it like down the supermarkets at the moment?
I've been putting off going for as long as possible, but I'm out of fruit and milk and I ate a pack of Sugarpuffs because they are fortified with vitamins. Are the shelves getting full? What restrictions are there?

We queued for about 30 mins before we got to the door, security told us only one could go in so I hung around in the carpark. According to my partner: stocks are varied, plenty of meat and veg but canned goods were low or just gone. Been like that for a while. She was complaining that the person behind her in the checkout queue was on top of her until the cashier told them to back off.

Regarding the picnic, yeah we totally understand people have no outdoor space because we're in that same tiny boat. We're in a first floor studio flat, the only separate room is the bathroom. Our only comfort there is large, slide up windows that get a lot of sun so we put our chairs up next to it, pour a couple drinks and get some UV rays in the face. We also took a good walk around for exercise but we don't linger anywhere or stop and chat with anyone.

Felt real bad for someone else today on kingsland road, dunno if someone hosed up their bacon sandwich but there was smoke billowing out the front door while they got whatever they could out. Real poo poo time for a house fire

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Barry White posted:

Who do you think they are draining the blood out right now to keep him going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Shut up Meg posted:

Can we bring back the stocks?

You've cracked it! Space them 2 meters apart with a waist height wall divided into 2x2 meter cubicles a safe distance away for people to throw bogroll at them