Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I know I'm going to regret touching the poop, but why does the gun lobby hate bio safeties? Even in their "OH NO AN URBAN YOUTH HAS BROKEN INTO MY HOME TO RAPE MY DAUGHTER AND STEAL MY TV" fantasies it seems like a great idea to have a gun only you or an authorized user could shoot.
It's a metal gear joke....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I realize I misinterpreted how that safety worked. I thought it was saying that when the safety was engaged it would block force to the firing pin by...being pressed against the firing pin. Instead, it's meant to stop accidental discharge from dropping the gun, etc.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

the great thing about biometric safeties is they're low cost and really reliable, i'm surprised theey're not more widespread. we should probably pass some legislation mandating their use on all guns, including historical relics.

I'm quarantine-drunk and can't detect sarcasm anymore. Is this a thing?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

insta posted:

I'm quarantine-drunk and can't detect sarcasm anymore. Is this a thing?

its sarcastic, biometric safeties are neither low cost nor reliable. they do exist in limited form though

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Ah. I am not a gun person. My bad.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Police are especially at risk for having their guns taken and used against them, since they often deal with people intending them harm. Also they more often open carry, whereas private citizens who carry, more often carry concealed. Yet when a law is proposed or passed which would require smart guns, the police always manage to get a carve-out exempting them from smart-gun requirements, which should tell you something about how well those smart guns work.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Craptacular posted:

Police are especially at risk for having their guns taken and used against them, since they often deal with people intending them harm. Also they more often open carry, whereas private citizens who carry, more often carry concealed. Yet when a law is proposed or passed which would require smart guns, the police always manage to get a carve-out exempting them from smart-gun requirements, which should tell you something about how well those smart guns work.

It’s true that biometric locks don’t work well, but “the police don’t like them” isn’t exactly a strong argument.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Craptacular posted:

Police are especially at risk for having their guns taken and used against them

:smith: my brother is named in honor of my dad's cousin who died in the 70s from having this happen.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I can't think of any reason that the police wouldn't want a system on their gun that would prove beyond any shadow of a doubt that it was they who pulled the trigger

A lot of these biometric lock proposals also talk about recording data like when the gun was actually unholstered and when the trigger was pulled. Two more features that I'm sure the police would love to see implemented

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Platystemon posted:

It’s true that biometric locks don’t work well, but “the police don’t like them” isn’t exactly a strong argument.

Why not? If the smart guns actually worked as advertised and they didn't have a failure rate higher than non-smart guns, then there would be little or no downside. But if one of the primary users and beneficiaries of smart guns don't like them, then you have to take that as a clue that maybe the downsides are still bigger than the upsides.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Oh my god thread pull up

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

guys i'm concerned

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

CommieGIR posted:

Oh my god thread pull up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xlr2ZMTc52E

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sagebrush posted:

I can't think of any reason that the police wouldn't want a system on their gun that would prove beyond any shadow of a doubt that it was they who pulled the trigger

I refer you to the documentary "Judge Dredd"

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Sagebrush posted:

A lot of these biometric lock proposals also talk about recording data like when the gun was actually unholstered and when the trigger was pulled. Two more features that I'm sure the police would love to see implemented

And since we've got that data why don't we tie it to their bodycams and microphones so we can get a clear picture of the crimes committed which led to them shooting those black criminals.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Serephina posted:

I don't know much about guns, but aren't safeties supposed to prevent discharge? That one doesn't.

People described it up thread already — it’s a device that makes the revolver safer than other revolvers of the time. Without the transfer bar mechanism you can set off a revolver by bumping the hammer too hard, by dropping it or whatever. It’s a safety that prevents a specific type of unintentional firing.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Is this warning of the dangers of approaching too close to terrine?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Florida Brush Fire Destroys at Least 100 Cars at Airport

https://i.imgur.com/TG8A68t.mp4

Woops.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

taqueso posted:

When you really want your weapon to work and that might be when you have an injured hand covered in blood, you want your weapon to actually function. Beeping and saying "unrecognized user" is not good. Even little revolver keylocks have been shown to cause (rare) malfunctions so people are wary, plus no one has made a not lovely biometric option yet.

there was an old weird tales scifi story called the gun shop where this dude buys a gun that knows him and will jump out of the holster into his hand when he goes to draw. Once biometrics reach that level I would consider it.

MutantBlue
Jun 8, 2001

They're called drop safeties for a reason. The stupid gun works if you pull the trigger but you won't shoot your wiener off if you drop it in the shower.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SniperWoreConverse posted:

there was an old weird tales scifi story called the gun shop where this dude buys a gun that knows him and will jump out of the holster into his hand when he goes to draw. Once biometrics reach that level I would consider it.

The Weapons Shops of Isher by AE Van Vogt? IIRC they also science magic could only be used for self defense or something like that. It’s been a minute since I read the book though.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

MutantBlue posted:

They're called drop safeties for a reason. The stupid gun works if you pull the trigger but you won't shoot your wiener off if you drop it in the shower.

Ironically, Micromancer's infamous toilet revolver lacks this feature

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I mostly remember this dude was something dumb like a dirt farmer or cobbler or something and was getting increasingly hosed over by life and he tried to appeal to the space empress and got mocked by her local official

but the gun store'll be there for you buddy, liberty comes from the barrel of a gun

e: after googling it we gotta be talking about the same thing cause at first he hated the gun store

Sapper
Mar 8, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

I have a 130-year-old Iver Johnson American Bulldog chambered in .44 Webley (it was a ripoff of the "British Bulldog") that we found under a floorboard in my grandfather's attic after he died (pretty sure he iced someone with it). While trying to figure out WTF it was, I learned that Iver Johnson was infamous for making "Suicide Guns", cheap-rear end "below Saturday Night Specials" that were really only good for shooting yourself, since they were unreliable, and as likely to kill/injure the shooter as the target. My gun is one of those--I made some blank cartridges out of .303 cases but the trigger spring is too weak to detonate even the most sensitive modern primers reliably; I have to feed it through twice, the first pull makes a dent, the second will (usually) set it off.

Later, Iver Johnson started introducing models like the one shown in an attempt to reinvent themselves as the "safer gun maker". They continued to make mediocre guns all the way up until the 1990s. In fact, William McKinley and Robert Kennedy were both assassinated with cheapass Iver Johnson handguns. Someone tried to kill FDR with one but killed the mayor of Chicago instead.

There's your gun talk history lesson for the day. 'MURICA!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

shame on an IGA posted:

That was a deliberate choice, a Röhm revolver is the worst gun in any collection that has one.

He wasn't going to drop a nice gun in the crapper.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Sapper posted:

I have a 130-year-old Iver Johnson American Bulldog chambered in .44 Webley (it was a ripoff of the "British Bulldog") that we found under a floorboard in my grandfather's attic after he died (pretty sure he iced someone with it). While trying to figure out WTF it was, I learned that Iver Johnson was infamous for making "Suicide Guns", cheap-rear end "below Saturday Night Specials" that were really only good for shooting yourself, since they were unreliable, and as likely to kill/injure the shooter as the target. My gun is one of those--I made some blank cartridges out of .303 cases but the trigger spring is too weak to detonate even the most sensitive modern primers reliably; I have to feed it through twice, the first pull makes a dent, the second will (usually) set it off.

Later, Iver Johnson started introducing models like the one shown in an attempt to reinvent themselves as the "safer gun maker". They continued to make mediocre guns all the way up until the 1990s. In fact, William McKinley and Robert Kennedy were both assassinated with cheapass Iver Johnson handguns. Someone tried to kill FDR with one but killed the mayor of Chicago instead.

There's your gun talk history lesson for the day. 'MURICA!

:yikes::thunkgun:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Memento posted:

...a Röhm revolver is the worst gun in any collection that has one.

I thought that was Taurus

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Someone post how that one dumps its magazine if you jiggle it

I know it can shoot all the bullets like that but I would be completely unsurprised if you can make the mag fall off that way too

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Someone post how that one dumps its magazine if you jiggle it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fn6GFSwTEw

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That's like that Japanese pistol where, if you squeeze the side of the gun, it fires.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Proteus Jones posted:

I thought that was Taurus

Nahh, Rohm are somehow even worse than them.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Cojawfee posted:

That's like that Japanese pistol where, if you squeeze the side of the gun, it fires.

This one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9qykXIEOwo

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

taqueso posted:

its sarcastic, biometric safeties are neither low cost nor reliable. they do exist in limited form though

Yeah my phone doesn't recognize my fingerprints like 3/5 of the time and that's even after redoing the scans multiple times. Goes up to like 9/10th if my hands are wet.

For thread content the Spetsnaz have a special holster for shooting themselves in the leg.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ie7KiQZWNLY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5H2GYOhKtM

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.

I am not a water squirter, and never studied the art of putting wet stuff on hot stuff, but wouldn't the efforts of the firetruck be better spent on the leading edge of the fire?

You know, keep more cars from bursting into flame instead of letting the fire march along the row while you spray down the already burned-out cars?

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

CollegeCop posted:

I am not a water squirter, and never studied the art of putting wet stuff on hot stuff, but wouldn't the efforts of the firetruck be better spent on the leading edge of the fire?

You know, keep more cars from bursting into flame instead of letting the fire march along the row while you spray down the already burned-out cars?

you've just never met the right guy. How about we go get a drink?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

CollegeCop posted:

Maybe the fire is spreading in two directions and they are doing what you said, on one direction, but haven't had the time or units present to get to the other direction yet? There may also be a calculation that the row on the left can't be saved no matter what. The video is not good enough to tell what the situation might be.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

shame on an IGA posted:

For folks like me who haven't heard this story

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Craptacular posted:

that's because they wouldn't be able to plant drop guns and we'd start seeing a lot fewer "clean" shoots

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

That was a great saga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

CommieGIR posted:

Oh my god thread pull up
The recent fire in the forests around Chernobyl has been put out.

https://www.rferl.org/a/ukraine-says-fire-extinguished-near-contaminated-site-of-chernobyl-nuclear-disaster/30532240.html

But there's more of them every year.

https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/chernobyl-radioactive-forest-arson-timber-smuggling-200214104539121.html

And some are smuggling the timber out to sell it to furniture factories.