Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

socialsecurity posted:

If you've never done mods something like Thorium will breath tons of new life into the game.

Honestly I don't even think I got too far into the 1.2 content, I think even playing vanilla I'll have a grip of stuff to do until then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Yeah, the current promotion/contest thing is running until at least April. And then the winners have to have their armor suits put into the game. So if 1.4 is coming this calendar year, it's not coming until much later. Also we usually get about a month's warning with a teaser trailer. So it's a ways out still. :v:

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Hailfire posted:

Yeah I'm loving doing a calamity, thorium and fargos soul mod run all together. You end up using like every single vanilla and mod items to build your way to ridiculously powerful soul mods. I gotta admit the eater of gods in calamity is kicking my arse at the moment, I think ill have to use a guide.

that’s definitely one of the biggest roadblocks

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
I'm back after going through all of Calamity. It took a while but it was an absolute blast. Can't imagine I'll find something more fun this year, I'm already itching to go back and play through with a different build.

Gotta admit I didn't interact with the craftable Souls in Fargo's mod at all, maybe I'll try to actually do that next time.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I'm finding the souls to be slightly annoying in that most of them include rare alternate drops from bosses that drop at a 1% rate and can't be crafted, even with the other mods I have installed. Especially the Calamity-specific enchantments that craft into souls. Kind of just a lot of tedious farming, especially when I'm trying to do it for two people.

Granted, the ones I've been able to craft are pretty good and/or hilarious in terms of all the poo poo they do at once. Might be worth using something like cheat sheet to just give yourself some of the rarer things if you don't object to doing so. I did for a couple of items after killing the boss ~50 times and not getting it.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Last night (~11 hours ago), I started a new hardcore character and large world (no mods) with the goal of killing enemies exclusively with summon damage. This means until I crafted an imp staff, my policy towards enemies was: avoid, teleport back to base if needed. My hellevator and exploration tunnels were carefully built with 100% player placed back walls. About 4 hours ago, I finally got the imp staff... felt so good to finally be able to kill stuff instead of running away constantly.

Game's still amazingly fun, especially with specific mentally-imposed limitations on how one can play it.

I wish the next update would release already, though...

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I have a quiet hope that this whole pandemic gives them all enough time to crank and polish what's left so folks can play it while trapped at home

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Black August posted:

I have a quiet hope that this whole pandemic gives them all enough time to crank and polish what's left so folks can play it while trapped at home

As long as they aren't sick themselves....

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Mayveena posted:

As long as they aren't sick themselves....

Yeah, cripes, I hope not. Also, on a more mercenary end, they could do GANGBUSTER sales right now with a 1.4 release, especially with it heralded as "the final and completed product after 10 years of work, come build a happy idyllic village while you stay inside going mad, and watch the modmakers update and create scads of new content to complement it"

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I for one have spent entirely too much time cranking and polishing

bij
Feb 24, 2007

There was a decent sized update to Thorium last month and a bugfix patch on March 26th. Might be that time again...

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Who the gently caress thought this would be a good title bar message? ...

Yes, it's hilarious for people who know what that does, but the devs don't have any hooks in place to catch it.. it still force instantly closes the game.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

lmao

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
lol imo

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Ambaire posted:

Yes, it's hilarious for people who know what that does, but the devs don't have any hooks in place to catch it.. it still force instantly closes the game.

Noob down.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Ambaire posted:

how 'bout you alt-F4 out of the thread for making me think there was an update on 1.4, ya twit

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Black August posted:

how 'bout you alt-F4 out of the thread for making me think there was an update on 1.4, ya twit

They say this is a comedy forum, and it made me laugh and apparently made some others laugh as well, so mission accomplished.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Ambaire posted:

extremely bryan fury laugh

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
rip

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Ambaire posted:

How does this still get people in 2020? Like, this was played out in 1999.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Black August posted:

alt F1.4

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Perfect thread title for when 1.4 drops

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Peachfart posted:

How does this still get people in 2020? Like, this was played out in 1999.

There's always a new generation of kids.

Hell, with the era of smartphones and tablets, kids are getting less experience with PCs than in our day, so fewer people are even learning about handy shortcuts like that.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's a special feeling when that actually works on someone in this day and age.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

DoubleNegative posted:

Yeah, the current promotion/contest thing is running until at least April. And then the winners have to have their armor suits put into the game. So if 1.4 is coming this calendar year, it's not coming until much later. Also we usually get about a month's warning with a teaser trailer. So it's a ways out still. :v:

Never thought about this, but now I kind of want to cry.

How do you gently caress up a release date so badly that "by the end of 2019," which was already a delay and ton of time, becomes "Who the gently caress knows, maybe 2020?"

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Lol Bannerlord came out before 1.4

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

SlyFrog posted:

Never thought about this, but now I kind of want to cry.

How do you gently caress up a release date so badly that "by the end of 2019," which was already a delay and ton of time, becomes "Who the gently caress knows, maybe 2020?"

I think he knows this is probably the last real update so he wants to get everything right, and also probably feels kind of sad and doesn't want it to be over.

Also this game is old as poo poo and he could have easily sold all the free content he's given us since launch as a separate game.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

It's gigantic amounts of free content after a decade of gigantic amounts of free content, so if he's taking a lot of extra time to add even more content and polish to what's already a grossly-packed game, I'm cool with waiting however long it takes. It's the final update too, yeah, so I can be patient. After it's out, there'll be another mod renaissance too. I've never spent $10 on a game that's given this goddamn much.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

I'm not bitching that I didn't get my money's worth or that it isn't an awesome game. It truly is.

I just have no idea why in this day and age of modern project management, you can't be right on a release date inside of like three months or something.

I've literally been holding off on playing 1.3 because I really don't want to start a game (it takes me forever to play Terraria) and then set it aside and restart for 1.4 (which I would do).

That essentially means I've been waiting around for a year, based on incredibly terrible release estimates (of course now, rather than learn project management, they've just gone to "whenever, lulz").

Something can be awesome, wonderful, and amazing, while they still are kind of ridiculous about a small factor at the same time.

It's okay to like something and still be slightly miffed about something like this. Really. It's not disparaging how amazing the game is, how good overall they've been, etc.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

They're a small team of friends who work on the game in their spare time as a labor of love, and have been doing so for a decade, while managing their lives and doing poo poo like raising their children. They don't owe you, me, or anyone any kind of accurate release date or promises, and they're not and never have demanded a red cent for the expansion packs. Just play the drat game and have fun instead of getting angry over arbitrary restrictions.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

SlyFrog posted:

I'm not bitching that I didn't get my money's worth or that it isn't an awesome game. It truly is.

I just have no idea why in this day and age of modern project management, you can't be right on a release date inside of like three months or something.

I've literally been holding off on playing 1.3 because I really don't want to start a game (it takes me forever to play Terraria) and then set it aside and restart for 1.4 (which I would do).

That essentially means I've been waiting around for a year, based on incredibly terrible release estimates (of course now, rather than learn project management, they've just gone to "whenever, lulz").

Something can be awesome, wonderful, and amazing, while they still are kind of ridiculous about a small factor at the same time.

It's okay to like something and still be slightly miffed about something like this. Really. It's not disparaging how amazing the game is, how good overall they've been, etc.

I take every official Terraria release as a godsend. Seriously, the game was 'done' years ago. I'm shocked they put out anything more at this point.

Play with some streamline mods (AlchemistNPC/Luiafk/ApacchiisClasses) and some content mods (Calamity/Thorium) and just have fun. Worry about 1.4 when it comes out.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

Black August posted:

They're a small team of friends who work on the game in their spare time as a labor of love, and have been doing so for a decade, while managing their lives and doing poo poo like raising their children. They don't owe you, me, or anyone any kind of accurate release date or promises, and they're not and never have demanded a red cent for the expansion packs. Just play the drat game and have fun instead of getting angry over arbitrary restrictions.

Get a grip dude, and save the stock internet responses for someone else.

I've said what I wanted to say, please continue to respond with your, "They're just small guys," "Getting angry," "Entitled," and other ye generic internet fan defender responses in my absence.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

You've held off on playing 1.3 for an entire year because of a bizarre hangup. Go actually play the game and then come back to talk about the cool stuff that's in 1.3, maybe?

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I personally cannot play video games because there's always the possibility that some day some time in the future the developers will release a director's cut version with added content. It could happen at any time!

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i mean they announced that the update wouldn’t come out in 2019 in november

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

SlyFrog posted:

bro do you even makegame

"yeah i can totally do this in 12 months" multiply that by three and then assume that's the actual launch

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Also the world is hosed eight ways from Sunday and there's currently no guarantees that poo poo is going to get better anytime soon. So there's no point in putting off something you'd enjoy because of ten thousand "what if" scenarios. Go ahead and start your 1.3 run. If 1.4 drops in the middle of it, then you'll get to enjoy even more time with the game.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

nah the guy very upset that a free expansion to a nine year old game that costs ten dollars didn't come out yet has told us to get a grip, we're the ones in the wrong and should accept that

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Has anyone used the Calamity texture pack with the Calamity mod? Are there any glaring omissions for items or blocks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Ambaire posted:

i'm going to assume you're being sincere, in which case you should probably know that alt-F4 is a windows operating system-level command that forces the currently active window to quit, and telling the unsuspecting to press it while playing a video game is a joke so old i think cavemen were doing it to each other