Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol if boris dies after his initial plan to this is just "lets have everyone get it so the economy doesn't flatline"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Jose posted:

lol if boris dies after his initial plan to this is just "lets have everyone get it so the economy doesn't flatline"

It's ironic if it happens and the economy flatlines in response.

If it happens and the economy doesn't react then arguably it's him having the courage of his convictions

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Shut up Meg posted:

What's the correct method to sterilise a mask at home? Is it something I can do at home with Fairey Liquid and some sticky-backed plastic?

If you need it quickly, then steam or a low oven (160F) works, too. Otherwise just leaving it for at least three days between uses is the simplest method.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

Boris is in hospital, they say it's precautionary.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52177125

I have no idea what tests they would want to run on him that would keep him in a hospital, honestly. But then I mostly worked in care facilities and only visited hospitals as I was getting my degree.

Tests on his lung capacity take like, five to ten minutes at most. An x-ray of his lungs/chest, if they're fasttracked, doesn't take more than maybe fifteen minutes to half an hour, depending on how the images come in and if he prepped beforehand. Vitals you can do at home, with the right staff on call. Heck you don't even need a doctor or a proper nurse for that.

Far as I can tell, wasn't it normal that the symptoms receded after a few days only for some of them to come back? What's there to test?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it's a coup by gove. an elite squad of parlimentarians, armed with the mace, will finish boris off at NHS nightingale

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

evilmiera posted:

I have no idea what tests they would want to run on him that would keep him in a hospital, honestly. But then I mostly worked in care facilities and only visited hospitals as I was getting my degree.

Tests on his lung capacity take like, five to ten minutes at most. An x-ray of his lungs/chest, if they're fasttracked, doesn't take more than maybe fifteen minutes to half an hour, depending on how the images come in and if he prepped beforehand. Vitals you can do at home, with the right staff on call. Heck you don't even need a doctor or a proper nurse for that.

Far as I can tell, wasn't it normal that the symptoms receded after a few days only for some of them to come back? What's there to test?

Perhaps he's hoping to start fathering another child with a nurse while he's there?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
You'd have thought Boris would be more careful since he's really not a spring chicken and is a fat knacker as well

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy
It's likely they will test for pneumonia. If he is still ill after the first week, then there is a chance it will get worse and he will crash. So they probably brought him in, and put him next to an empty ventilator and will just keep him until he's testing negative

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

crispix posted:

You'd have thought Boris would be more careful since he's really not a spring chicken and is a fat knacker as well

Superman Boris is going to pull through this, you'll see!

From Toby Young:

With his huge mop of blond hair, his tie askew and his shirt escaping from his trousers, he looked like an overgrown schoolboy. Yet with his imposing physical build, his thick neck and his broad, Germanic forehead, there was also something of Nietzsche’s Übermensch about him.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

crispix posted:

he didn't believe he could get sick, because he's the prime minster and special

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Between him and Matt Hancock getting it after not bothering with isolation and the Scot Chief Medical Officer having to resign because she also decided the rules don't apply her her, it paints a very poor but undoubtedly accurate picture of the leadership we have to contend with.

Trump may be terrible, but at least his reaction of "move away" when that lady mentioned her fever on the press conference was smarter than shaking her hand like Bojo might've.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
Did Bojo die yet?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yes, gove finished him off with a pillow

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

Where do I send his cheque?

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

quidditch it and quit it posted:

Where do I send his cheque?

Just be aware that Boris went to Eton, so 'finishing him off with a pillow' may have a different meaning to the one that you are thinking of.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

Just lol if you think Gove is competent to do this. He’d spend an hour trying to figure out which way round the pillow should be.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Shut up Meg posted:

What's the correct method to sterilise a mask at home? Is it something I can do at home with Fairey Liquid and some sticky-backed plastic?

I just wash it with soap and basically rotate between masks.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Torquemada posted:

Just lol if you think Gove is competent to do this. He’d spend an hour trying to figure out which way round the pillow should be.

oh i never said it was intentional

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I hope Johnson's illness ends soon and he never gets sick again.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

man who hosed pig, killed by animal bourne illness.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

bitterandtwisted posted:

I hope Johnson's illness ends soon and he never gets sick again.

Are you saying you want him to recover, or you want him to die?

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Angelwolf posted:

Are you saying you want him to recover, or you want him to die?

he's simply saying that the PM should never worry about anything ever again

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Ratjaculation posted:

man who hosed pig, killed by animal bourne illness.

that was Cameron.

well, BoJo might have also done it, I've not looked into it...

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

They were both part of the same rich kids' dining and tramp-kicking club, but I don't know if loving a dead pig's head was an entry test given to every applicant

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it's better than loving a live pig's head

Barry White
Jun 28, 2008

Luke Skywalker kills Han Solo's son at the climax of Episode VII

happyhippy posted:

Who do you think they are draining the blood out right now to keep him going.

Reserves from Thatcher, Churchill or Moseley?

Although due a mix up in the late 80's he'll actually get blood from Ethel (From Eastenders), Samantha Fox, and Jim Davidson.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Lolie posted:

If you need it quickly, then steam or a low oven (160F) works, too. Otherwise just leaving it for at least three days between uses is the simplest method.

Sekenr posted:

I just wash it with soap and basically rotate between masks.

Thanks for the advice.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Boris is in ICU now

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-52192604

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Boris telling the country to just take it on the chin and dying early on would be something

MikeTheCoolOne
Jul 18, 2006

Drinking heavily the night before.

ICU baby,
Shaking those hands,
Shaking those hands

Lemon
May 22, 2003

MikeTheCoolOne posted:

ICU baby,
Shaking those hands,
Shaking those hands

now this I like

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Again, they're saying it was a precautionary measure. First he went in for precautionary tests, now he was sent to the ICU just in case when his symptoms worsened.

He is either going to die or come out of this looking like a massive wimp for clamoring for special treatment. You don't go to the ICU just in case you might need what they have, unless he is being intubated in the next hour. Those ICU beds are in very high demand for a reason.

Of course, if he IS going to be fine then he ought to make sure the kind of access to NHS resources at a whim he has becomes standard for the populace. Especially given he wanted to cut the hell out of the service in the first place.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Girlfriend in a coma, I know
I know, it's serious

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

What if it’s a Cummings trick to get the stupidest people you know to actually stay at home

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

evilmiera posted:

Again, they're saying it was a precautionary measure. First he went in for precautionary tests, now he was sent to the ICU just in case when his symptoms worsened.

He is either going to die or come out of this looking like a massive wimp for clamoring for special treatment. You don't go to the ICU just in case you might need what they have, unless he is being intubated in the next hour. Those ICU beds are in very high demand for a reason.

Of course, if he IS going to be fine then he ought to make sure the kind of access to NHS resources at a whim he has becomes standard for the populace. Especially given he wanted to cut the hell out of the service in the first place.

The rich will always find a way to get preferential treatment, though as he's the leader of the country its probably understandable they'd take every precaution in this case.

Don't like the guy at all and whilst I hoped he'd have a lovely week or so feeling a bit miserable I hope he pulls through this alright.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

https://twitter.com/onionweigher/status/1246928763935494145?s=20

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Just Chamber posted:

The rich will always find a way to get preferential treatment, though as he's the leader of the country its probably understandable they'd take every precaution in this case.

Don't like the guy at all and whilst I hoped he'd have a lovely week or so feeling a bit miserable I hope he pulls through this alright.

Pretty much this for me.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

evilmiera posted:

If the Prime Minister is in your hospital you absolutely move him to the ICU the second he looks abit peaky.

That said getting sick late is a pretty poor sign and the outcome data for ICU admission due to SARS_CoV_2 is pretty loving grim.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

He is what, day 12 into this or so? It averages about 18 days before a patient dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Boris going to die